Vixen68 - Bring on the Basics!

Vixen68

I am curious about what your coach says about your gaze/chin position.  Rippetoe says to look slightly down, like you have a tennis ball under your chin.  Seems like there might be different theories out there?

Either way, awesome job!

My coach has never actually mentioned it to me.. I think it's probably low on the list of important things in his eyes lol I don't usually tilt my head up so much but in squats my failure is always due to the bar rolling forward and me not being able to keep my chest up - results in me trying to do a good morning! So this was me trying to cue 'chest up'

On my phone. Forgive the short post!

I've read support for both. I think it might be one of those whatever works for you things. I do chin down personally but I find myself lifting it when I'm struggling. Overall down feels better for me though.

Good job on the 70kg squat! Awesome. Your progress is nuts!

#keepitup

You are so close to those record numbers, it's not even funny. Like, really close to them. I'm sure you'll be dead-lifting more than 110kg within 6 months if you want to. Vix - you could hold a record!

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

Friday - Day Twelve

Strength - N/A. scheduled day off to recover from testing maxes. New program to begin from Monday

Track - Done (5/7).

xxxxxxx | xxxxxxx | xxxxxxx | xxxxxxx | xxxxxxx | xxxxxxx

Mobility - (4/5)

xxxxx | xxxxx | xxxxx | xxxxx | xxxxx | xxxxx

Life - N/A

Saturday - Day Thirteen

Track - Done (6/7).

Mobility - (4/5)

Sunday - Day Fourteen

Track - Done (7/7).

xxxxxxx | xxxxxxxxx | xxxxxxx | xxxxxxx | xxxxxxx | xxxxxxx

Mobility - (5/5)

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

[sTR] 12 [DEX] 7 [sTA] 10 [CON] 5 [WIS] 8 [CHA] 4

Battle Log | FitocracyCurrent ChallengePrevious Challenges: #1 #2 #3

Week Two Summary 

Week 2 was definitely a success

Strength - Max testing proved to be amazing, with me hitting weights i didnt expect to get yet. Very happy :)

Grade - A

Track - Tracked all 7 days. Average cals for the week was 2006 (maintenance). On Saturday i cooked up a storm and made lunches for the next week so my nutrition should be more controllable and planned this coming week.

xxxxxxx | xxxxxxxxx | xxxxxxx | xxxxxxx | xxxxxxx | xxxxxxx

Grade - A

Mobility - Mobility work 5 days this week. Did heaps in the early part of the week to get ready for testing, but lagged a bit at the end of the week as i was sore and tired. still got it done though :)

Grade - A

Life - Non-pay week so not much to report on here this week, except that i have been really good in not using my card. My boyfriend has been compensating for my lack of funds though and paid for a lot of dinners out etc this week. Lucky me!

Overall Grade - A (this almost felt easy this week!)

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

OH MY GOD CONGRATS ON THE PRs I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!

It's probably because we are (or, 'were', since you just killed your maxs) going for the similar weights that I got so excited about this - there's hope for me there too haha. (especially with no coach). 

Never seen anyone squatting with their chin up so high but I guess it's a personal preference. Do you have any more videos? I'm always curious to check others out :D

Anyway, I'm very happy for you :) 

Monday - Day Fifteen 

Strength - Back at the gym. My coach and I discussed programming, and i am now working towards competing in a novice comp on 2nd Feb next year. Apparently that gives me 9 training weeks to work up to it! started on sets of 10 squats tonight, which are an absolute killer!!! and tried out a belt for the first time. really threw me off so it is something to get used to over this program.

Track - Done (1/7). Cal 1528, CHO132/FAT58/PRO119

Mobility - (1/5) - Stretching and rolling at the gym.

Life - N/A

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Woooohoooo you did it!! And soon you'll be the junior national champion. :D Very cool.

Haha maybe ...

OH MY GOD CONGRATS ON THE PRs I'M SO EXCITED FOR YOU!!

It's probably because we are (or, 'were', since you just killed your maxs) going for the similar weights that I got so excited about this - there's hope for me there too haha. (especially with no coach). 

Never seen anyone squatting with their chin up so high but I guess it's a personal preference. Do you have any more videos? I'm always curious to check others out :D

Anyway, I'm very happy for you :)

There is definitely hope for you!! you are smashing the weights!!

Yeah i dont usually have my chin up so high - but i was concentrating so hard on keeping my chest up that it just sort of happened. Next squat max attempt i will probably be wearing a belt which will help me with this! I have to get the other videos from my coach - i think there is one for my 90kg, and my 100kg deadlift. My 42.5kg bench PR (about 6 weeks ago) is also in the following video at 0.52, along with some of the other novices testing at my gym (however i have changed my benching heaps since then!):

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Nice work. Head position is definitely a whatever works for you thing. Looking up to an extreme like you do can rob you of hip drive out of the bottom and make it harder to hit the sticking point with speed, decreasing your max. But, like you said, it can help you keep your chest up if that's an issue for you.

What I do, since I have a chest up issue on heavier weights, is I start out looking forward or slightly down. I keep my eyes there through the bounce and up to the sticking point, that part where you typically start to lose your chest and start doing a good morning. As soon as I feel myself hit that point, or slightly before it now that I've really got it down where to expect my flaw, I shift my sight up to help me keep my chest up. This lets me avoid using a head up position where it has the most negative effects, but let's me use it where I really need it.

Also, you're super long limbed. You're probably going to have a DL that outpaces your squat by a good amount for a long time. Bigm is that way because of the long limbs as well. You're both built for DLing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Massrandir, Barkûn, Swolórin, The Whey Pilgrim
500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"Friends don't let friends squat high." ~ Chad Wesley Smith
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

Nice work. Head position is definitely a whatever works for you thing. Looking up to an extreme like you do can rob you of hip drive out of the bottom and make it harder to hit the sticking point with speed, decreasing your max. But, like you said, it can help you keep your chest up if that's an issue for you.

What I do, since I have a chest up issue on heavier weights, is I start out looking forward or slightly down. I keep my eyes there through the bounce and up to the sticking point, that part where you typically start to lose your chest and start doing a good morning. As soon as I feel myself hit that point, or slightly before it now that I've really got it down where to expect my flaw, I shift my sight up to help me keep my chest up. This lets me avoid using a head up position where it has the most negative effects, but let's me use it where I really need it.

Also, you're super long limbed. You're probably going to have a DL that outpaces your squat by a good amount for a long time. Bigm is that way because of the long limbs as well. You're both built for DLing.

Thanks for the tips!! might give what you have mentioned a go and see what happens :)

And yes i am haha With my current DL at 100, it is definitely outpacing my squat and feels like it will be that way for awhile. Took me awhile to get form down on DL but one week my coach was talking about trying sumo since i looked so awkward and the next it just all fell into place and my form was 'perfect'. Can definitely see my DL weight improving quite a bit in the near future

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

That's awesome. That record is yours!

One thing I forgot to point out on your squats is your wrists. Keep them straight, don't bend them under the bar. When the weights get heavier you can get in the habit of carrying some of the load in the hands that way, which screws up you biceps. Not a fun injury, takes months to get past.

500 / 330 / 625
Challenges: 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 31 32 34 35 36 39 41 42 45 46 47 48 49 Current Challenge
"No citizen has a right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. " ~ Socrates
"It's a dangerous business, Brodo, squatting to the floor. You step into the rack, and if you don't keep your form, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to." ~ Gainsdalf

That's awesome. That record is yours!

One thing I forgot to point out on your squats is your wrists. Keep them straight, don't bend them under the bar. When the weights get heavier you can get in the habit of carrying some of the load in the hands that way, which screws up you biceps. Not a fun injury, takes months to get past.

Doesnt sound like fun!

I didnt notice that looking at the video, but that was the first time I had ever tried a slightly lower bar position (to try to keep my chest up after failing my first attempt at that weight), and everything felt a bit screwy, but i will remember that and think about it next time i squat. I know my wrists are also something i need to work on in my bench press.

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

You and me both on the bench.

500 / 330 / 625

Sorry for the hijack... this is an awesome tip.  I noticed today I had this very issue (I am pretty new to this), where I feel like I get stuck in a mid-good morning position while toward then end of my squat sets, at that point kicking my gaze up would have probably helped a bunch.  Thanks!

Current: reorient

Old: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | a | b | battle log

Older: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

myfitnesspal | epic quest

Tuesday - Day Sixteen

Strength - N/A - So sore from 10rep squats on Monday. Need to sort out where the bar sits coz playing around with it Monday definitely used my shoulder/arm/back muscles in ways they arent used to being used (in a good way though!)

Track - Done (2/7). Cal 1869, CHO171/FAT68/PRO121

xxxxxxx | xxxxxxx | x

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

+1

I am tall and lanky....and my deadlift doesn't even look right next to my squat...

Also, hooray for competition! Should be fun. :)

Sculptor - Warrior

LVL 4 | STR 10 | DEX 8 | WIS 12 | CHA 8 | STA 1 | CON 6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wednesday - Day Seventeen

Strength - Sets of 10 on bench - starting to practice my pauses. Went really well :) Coach sent me my program ... and WOW im scared haha I am basically in week 2 of a 10 week program at the moment. and in week 8 i am supposed to be doing my current maxes for 3x3!! and then the following week be doing slightly MORE than my current maxes for 3x1!! Crazy stuff.

Track - Done (3/7). Cal 1834, CHO142/FAT76/PRO138

Mobility - (3/5) - Loads of rolling, stretching etc at the gym. More than i usually do

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Awesome scary program :D Your coach sounds like he is really pushing you, in a good way, to advance and be your best. It really is very cool to see you advancing with such speed and enjoyment. I was totally fantasising about having a weightlifting coach like you do - we started out with almost the exact same stats a few months ago, and look at you now! Rock star!

Warrior Princess
Eating Psychology Coach

Adventure's Guild Challenge winner: Challenge #24

â•‘ Live the Whole  â•‘ Bucket List â•‘Level up my Lifeâ•‘ 

"Don't ever save anything for a special occasion. Every day you're alive is a special occasion."

Awesome scary program :D Your coach sounds like he is really pushing you, in a good way, to advance and be your best. It really is very cool to see you advancing with such speed and enjoyment. I was totally fantasising about having a weightlifting coach like you do - we started out with almost the exact same stats a few months ago, and look at you now! Rock star!

The program is the same one that my bf just finished - so i am getting no concessions for being a girl!! lol but thats the way i like it :) When i really think about it though, i just added 10kg to my squat and 7.5kg to my DL Maxes in 4 weeks, so by week 8 of this program i should have gained a fair bit more strength!

Yes i feel very lucky to have someone to coach me, despite only paying the gym membership fees. I think it makes all the difference to have someone working with you on your form and also the support i get from him and my bf when im at the gym :) Cant say i mind the entire gym stopping to watch me test my maxes and yelling encouragement at me last week either.

Keep at it and you will continue to advance as well :) i think the main thing is just really enjoying what you are doing

• Like 1

Level 4 High Elf Warrior

Happy Thanksgiving Vixen!! :)

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines