Mini Challenge Week 1: 'Jogging a Memory'

BarefootDawsy

Greetings Scouts! 

First of all, I want to say a huge thank you to all of you who took the time to help out in the search for yours truly. I'm recovering from my ordeal, but it's going slowly. 

I've discovered that not only is my body weaker than it was only a few weeks ago, but also, I have huge blanks in my memory! 

I once again need to call upon your spirit of Scoutiness (that's a word!), to help me out. I need you all to help me jog my memory, while helping me rebuild my broken body.

To help achieve this, I want each of you to post 2 piece of advice:

1. Something that you wish you had known before becoming a new runner/biker/swimmer/hiker

2. Something new that you've learned about your chosen discipline since this challenge started. You may need to do some reading/chatting for this one!

Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

BAREFOOT DAWSY

Scout Commander (ret.)

Glad you survived your ordeal!

The one thing I wish I had known before I started cycling - this may sound stupid obvious, because it is - is that sunscreen really matters. I'm normally religious about it, but didn't wear any on my first long ride. I didn't think about the fact that my neck and shoulders would be facing skyward for upwards of two hours! Ouch. Never ever forget the sunscreen.

The best thing I've learned: I don't need special clothes or shoes to bike in. Sure, for a ride longer than an hour they're nice, but now I do shorter rides in boots and jeans and it's awesome.

Also, did you know that a bike ride can do double duty as a hair dryer? Much more enjoyable! Sure, you have to skip the helmet, but I love the feeling of wind in my hair.

• Like 2

Nuribaby, Level 2 Scout

STR 1 | DEX 1 | STA 3 | CON 4.25 | WIS .25 | CHA 1

Current Challenge (Prev 1) | Strength in Numbers | Battle Log | MyFitnessPal

"Let us, then, be up and doing,

With a heart for any fate;

Still achieving, still pursuing,

Learn to labor and to wait."

"A Psalm of Life", Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Welcome back, Dawsy! 

What I wish I'd known before running?

Hey, this sh*it isn't too bad. I've hated running with a burning passion for all my life. Seriously. When I had to run in sports lessons in school, I always found a way out or just walked. I never finished any kind of run, ever. And if you'd asked me what I want to do, fitness-wise, just a few weeks ago, running would be the bottom of the list.

Right behind cleaning toilets as competitive sport.

What have I learned since I started running?

Runner's High is the best. thing. ever. And running is actually fun - not this torture technique thought up by our teachers.

What happened during those blanks in your memory?

Preeeetty sure it involved a panda and two penguins.

• Like 2

Just trying to get back on my feet. :)

apfelstrudi learns to outrun shamblers | Instagram challenge

1. Something that you wish you had known before becoming a new runner/biker/swimmer/hiker

Hmm, swimming. Well I didn't know much of anything when I started, so I started with a class where I could learn stroke technique since I was always comfortable in the water. Since I was still funded by my parents at the time, the amount of expenses it takes to swim did not really hit me. Hmm... no, not expenses maybe, I'l go for the incredible hardship that is swimming in wind and waves when you decide to get out of the pool and go outside to swim in the ocean. You know that is there, but you always think you are too awesome for that to bother you. Nay, Nay.

2. Something new that you've learned about your chosen discipline since this challenge started. You may need to do some reading/chatting for this one!

I have learned that the pool at school will not be able to support my swim habit, it is too cold and too polluted in my area to swim in the bay for free (plus alligators), and I must figure out a way to swim at 5am so I can get things done in the middle of the day. Balancing acts :)
  • Like 1

STRENGTH (0) | DEXTERITY (-1) | CONSTITUTION (1) | WISDOM (3) | INTELLIGENCE (3) | CHARISMA (2)

Syren  -- Chaotic Good -- Human Druish Ranger -- Current Challenge -- Battle Log

1. That not all shoes are the same, after suffering some nasty blisters and shin splints I went to a local running store and had my feet measured and gait checked, spent the money on a proper pair of shoes and haven't had those issues come back :knockonwood: seriously spend the money once and then after you can find your shoes or equivalents online for a lot cheaper but at least you know what to get rather than the cheapest good pair you can find.

2. This is from a few challenges ago, but even if you have been swimming your whole life (non-competitive) you might want to check out a stroke clinic/swim lesson; they worked on my kick with me and I have dropped some serious time off of my laps.

Never stop learning

• Like 1

Between a rock and a hard place, use our finger nails to climb, it's all we know..........

Daily Mile

Perfer et obdura: Dolor hic tibi proderit olim

Trail running and group running.  I love being outdoors so I thought running the roads was good enough.  And I like running solo as a way to collect my thoughts.  Then a few months in I found a local trail running group.  They are always my favorite runs.  (Though I still love solo running and prefer road running over no running).

Each season brings out different aspects on the trails.  An overgrown single track trail in the summer was horrible but now in the fall it is an easy fun trail since the vegetation has subsided.

• Like 1

Level 26, Primal Ultra Trail Scout, Non-Binary Robot

Swim - I wish I had known how important proper technique really is, it's an un-natural sport, so you really need someone experienced to watch and help, specially the first months

Bike - The joy of road cycling!, I've ridden Mountain bikes (on and off) for years, but only recently I got a roadie, I always thought it to be boring, but it's actually a lot of fun, and it really helps improve your pedaling technique. Also, I wish I had known better about bike sizes before my first purchase (too big for me).

Run - I wish I knew I could actually enjoy running, I've avoided it like the plague for years, and now I really like it!

Swim: Hand placement, front crawl: Turns out I've been "crossing" hands for a long time, and turns out, I'm not supposed to (cross the center line of tour body at the start of the pull).

Bike: There is a correlation between saddle angle and numb hands, I need to improve the fit on my road bike

Run: Hydration while running: since I am still running short distances, I have not worked on hydration strategies, I am learning a lot on how to carry/when to take fluids while running.

• Like 1

german

monkey scout

"swim, bike, run", or at least "Don’t drown, don't crash, don't walk"

“If you ever start taking things too seriously, just remember that we are talking monkeys on an organic spaceship flying through the universe.†-Joe Rogan

What I wish I'd known:

I wish I'd known that wearing cushioned trainers would ruin my knees. I remember reading "Runners World" and exchanging the flat pair of Nikes I'd had for 10 years for something new because I'd read it was "bad" to run in old shoes. Total rubbish. It took years of recurring injuries, then reading "Born to run" and re-learning how to forefoot-strike to learn to love running again. You don't need expensive trainers. If you get hurt, change trainers instantly, no matter how much you paid for your new pair. Never run through pain. Find the shoes that work for you. Been injury-free since changing back to flat (minimal) again, that's four years now.

I haven't learned anything about running this challenge, but I'll tell you something from last challenge:

Even if you're like me and can easily run 10K without re-hydrating, and think water bottles are for whimps: don't - just don't - don't ever try and run a half-marathon with a hangover with no gels or sports drinks in your pack. It really, really hurts. 

• Like 1

Level 3 Human Assassin

STR 6 DEX 7 STA 8 CON 1 WIS 9 CHA 3

challenges 1 2 3 daily battle log

6 months goals

Running, Walking, & Hiking - Being fat is does not guarantee that you over-pronate. I spent many years in stability and motion control walking and hiking shoes, because "being overweight/obese causes over-pronation and collapsed arches." I had a number of false starts trying to run, all of them in stability running shoes. I got injured a lot, especially rolling my ankles, and I figured it was just part of my genetic legacy of dyspraxia and crummy joints. When I finally got through C25K without being sidelined by injury, I rewarded myself with a trip to my local running store to get fitted for a pair of nice running shoes. Turns out I under-pronate like crazy when I walk and only slightly less so when I run, and the stability shoes I'd been wearing were increasing the strain on my already so-so ankles. I still have screwy ankles, but I've gotten significantly fewer injuries since ditching shoes that correct for a problem I don't actually have.

Sports bras, even really good ones, do not always prevent nipple chafing. On the bright side of that discovery, Kiss My Face Sports Balm lip balm is a perfectly serviceable stand-in for Body Glide in a pinch.

• Like 1

only what you take with you

Challenges: Starstuff Wars Episode I, II, III, IV, V, VI  

NF character ~ Fitbit ~ Strava ~ Smashrun ~ MyFitnessPal

Food Log

I wish I knew how much nipple chafing hurt, so i wouldn't know it now.

I've learned so much, I am not sure where to begin? How about that bikes come in different sizes and it really matters.

• Like 1

Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.

Mileage

Swim 11.1/18 miles

61.7%
61.7%

Bike 207/465 miles

44.5%
44.5%

Run 44.9/101 miles

44.5%
44.5%

I wish I'd known how expensive races can be. I'd never really thought about how much things like that would cost but many of them are quite pricey, tons of fun though so I call it worth it. Plus it keeps me from trying to run races all the time.

So far this challenge I've learned that when I make a running plan I should actually stick to it or I'm gonna have a bad time and not be prepared for the longer parts of my training. I mostly already knew that but the beginning of this challenge coincided with a nice reminder on that front. 

• Like 1

Scout 30/Ranger 1 (3 skipped)

Spoiler

"I must not fear. / Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing......Only I will remain."
-Litany Against Fear

Facebook | Twitter | Runkeeper | Strava
Shukar Still Isn't Lion

I wish I had known how enjoyable running with a dog is, as annoying as it is having to chose after my dog because she's running after a kangaroo, it's actually lots of fun. During the two week break between this challenge and last challenge I learnt that running is a lot more fun if I take away the need to run a set distance in a set time and focused solely on the running, if I ran when I felt like it and walked when I felt like it it's more fun, and don't forget to revisit old tracks and mix up your running route it will make it funnier too

STR – 24.45, DEX – 13.50, STA – 23.50, CON – 21.40, WIS – 27.65, CHA – 4.50
When the sun comes up, you better start running - Thomas Friedmen
Epic Quest - Current Challenge - Twitter - Goodreads - Fitbit - blog

Run with a plan. First few times I went out to run I just figured I'd see how far I'd get. Which wasn't far and as it was nice weather there were a lot of runners around half of whom seemed to shout semi-encouraging, semi-insulting things. Finding a podcast (the belgium Evy) helped so much by having a program in place. Also I didn't feel so offended if people yelled stuff as I knew I was on a planned walking break rather than just exhausted of running 3 minutes. 

I'm not nearly as bad as I thought :) I've been considering joining the local running club put always put this off as I figured I'd never be able to keep up. As part of my new Saturday morning trainings I've also gotten a temporary membership of this running club so I can join the Wednesday evenings. Which I did yesterday and I was actually able to keep up most of the time. In the end I did 1 lap less than the rest and that was mostly because I was slower rather than not having the stamina. It's a big boost to my ego and self esteem :) 

LEVEL 3 Human Scout - obsessive smiley user 

"That's the best part, the outside is new, but now it reflects what's already in you" - Legally blonde the musical

I'm too late but I now know something I learned in this challenge:

There is something called the 10% rule - it tells you to increase your weekly mileage by 10% only to stay injury-free and healthy.

Don't know how I could have missed this for years!

Here it is:

http://www.runnersworld.com/running-tips/10-percent-rule

Level 3 Human Assassin

STR 6 DEX 7 STA 8 CON 1 WIS 9 CHA 3

challenges 1 2 3 daily battle log

6 months goals

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines