obax - cascade

obax

Yay for being on schedule :)

and even doggies need to learn about payback ;)

BlackWidowEowyn

Lvl 6 Hobbit Assassin

"Obstacles can't stop you, problems can't stop you. Most of all, other people can't stop you. Only you can stop you. " – J. Gitomer

"A vision of a champion is someone who is bent over drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching. "– Anson Dorrance

My kick in the Pants, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5

@missmajachere

Week 2 Sum-Up:

Goal #1 - Routine

Going well. I was much less crammy this week vs. week 1, so that's good. I'm all caught up with my record so hopefully I can settle into my routine a bit better. That said, week 4 (ie. not this week but next week) is going to have a challenging work schedule, I'm working a lot which is good for my bank account, but the times are less than ideal and are going to make being motivated to workout much harder than usual. The hardest thing to get in will be climbing, I think, since I'll have no choice but to go in the evening, which I've already decided I don't really like due to the number of other people there, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. At least they're open late enough that I can still make it after work, and the days might just work out that I can avoid going at night.

Goal #2 - Pushups

See above re: lack of crammyness (well, I crammed 1 session in, but only 1!) I've decided to move towards doing incline pushups off the edge of my bed rather than knee ones on the floor. This will be harder, and I may not be able to make my full 30 at first. I realized I was doing the knee ones more often because they were easier and therefore made me feel better about myself that I could do so many, but that's not the best attitude to take if I actually want to make progress. So, I'll work on not feeling bad if I don't do as many pushups and feeling good that I'm challenging myself.

Goal #3 - Paralettes

Met my goal, I'm still liking these, and I think my wrists can handle me stepping it up a bit more. I'm not 100% certain what else I want to do with them, but I'll figure something out, and I'll still have to make sure I don't get too excited and over do it.

Goal #4 - Stretching

Again, going well, though I could be doing better. I feel like I'm still half-assing more of these than I should be, but at least I'm doing it. I got more full body stretches in last week than in week 1, so progress, but I still crammed a couple stretching sessions into the end of the day, so there's room for improvement.

Overall:

I felt better about this week than week 1, but I can definitely see room for improvement. Not much more to say other than that.

Unrelated link that I like and want to share:

Look for the good around you, idiot! I actually found this fairly powerful. This guy is a regular contributer to a radio show I listen to most days, he does a rant/rave each week, I think, and this is my favourite.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

It sounds like you are making progress with the push-ups.  I think transitioning from knee push-ups to incline ones can be very frustrating, because the movement mechanics are pretty different, especially with the core engagement.  I'd consider relaxing the 30 push-up goal, and instead do however many incline push-ups you reasonably can do.  In the long run, I think 10 incline push-ups will be more helpful than 30 knee ones.

For negatives, have you tried doing a single negative push-up using the parallettes as elevation?  Like, basically get into a plank on the parallettes, and then slowly lower your belly until you're in the bottom of a push-up position.  I think that way would help you build a lot of muscle for the push-ups, but it would make it really hard to reach your volume goal (unless you fudge things a bit).

I know it can be tough to climb when the gym is crowded, and then you have to wait or push your way in to get a turn.  On the positive side, though, it might be a great opportunity to watch the more experienced climbers and pick up some technique ideas.  Or if there's a route that you're struggling with, it might be a chance to see how someone else is doing it. 

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

I have tried negative pushups and didn't think they were doing much, until I went to do actual pushups, and then I realized how tired I already was. I'm probably going to change my plan a bit to include some negatives as well as fewer total incline pushups. I'll have to experiment a bit to find the proper balance between the two, but I'm thinking of doing the pushups first, then a few negatives afterwards to finish it off.

I'm still on the fence about climbing when it's busy. Your list of pros is exactly the same as my list of pros, and whenever I go in the evening I go in with the hopes that this time that's how it'll be. But it never works out that way, and I end up feeling a mixture of frustration and intimidation and going home early and/or bummed out. I think it'd be better if I had someone with me, because that's when I need the push to keep up my motivation, but that's not in the cards. *shrug* Maybe it's just a case of me needing to make myself go more often when it's busy so I can get used to it.

Today:

Climbed, about an hour, maybe a bit more. My poor choices regarding bed times lately mean that I'm tired, but I still managed to get a green one that I hadn't got before. I tried it a couple of times and was just as stuck as always, then took a break from it, and when I came back to it I just got it without really thinking about it. I'm not sure I can repeat the process, since I couldn't tell you what I actually did to reach the top. We'll see next time...

I'm still stuck on the one remaining green that I've been working on, it's on a fairly steep incline and I just can't get the last move. I know what I need to do but one of the lower holds bangs against my hip, making it so I can't get the right angle to make the reach to the last hold. No matter how I position my feet I just end up with that hold in the way. There's got to be a way around it but I can't figure it out.

Also worked on a couple of white ones that are on fairly flat walls (one's a slight incline but not too bad 'til the top). I got about as far as I did last time on both. The one, I just can't figure out how to reach the top. I'm literally one move away from finishing it but can't figure out how to reach that far without growing 6 inches or so. It looks like it shouldn't be a problem when I'm on the ground, but once I'm up there I don't know where else to put my feet, and there aren't any more hand holds.

I also did some of the endurance-type climbing again and it was good. I didn't wear myself out quite as much as last time I did this, but it was still a good workout. I did the first 10 ft. or so of one route that's ungraded but I'd guess as a 5.6 or 5.7 6 times in a row, took a short break, then did one that I'd guess is maybe 5.5 10 times in a row.

I'm laying off the pushups for today. It would be my 3rd day in a row if I did them today, and even though I kind of half-assed it last night I can still feel that there's some fatigue there, so I'll do that and the core work tomorrow after my run.

Stretching to commence forthwith, and then work.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Yesterday:

I did none of the things. I'd intended to run and do pushups, but I ended up spending the afternoon writing, which is something I haven't done in literally years. I've been inspired a bit by Devyn's thread wherein she's attempting a NaNoWriMo and decided to sit down and try getting something on (virtual) paper. The end result was neither good nor productive, but still, it's been YEARS and I enjoyed it.

So, after that, I decided to run the next day and just do the pushups after dinner. But then life intervened (my sister needed some support, she's having an early mid-life crisis) and when I got home at midnight I was exhausted, so I stretched at went to bed.

Today:

I did (almost) all the things! In order:

Climbing

They were in the process of resetting the walls when I got there. I flashed 2 or 3 new yellows, got a fun new green that goes way sideways as it goes up, on the third try. And then I got my first white one ever!! Well, sort of... I technically couldn't get my second hand into the finishing box, the box didn't have a hold in it so you just have to use the top of the wall, which I'm only sort of comfortable with (it's usually fine, but I don't trust my grip not to let me down if I really have to hang off it). The box is way to the right of the holds, such that you either have to stand with your left foot on a foot hold and your right foot on nothing and lean way over to get both hands in the box, or put your right foot on the hold and stretch your left foot up on to what for me was only a hand hold and do the stretch way over at a slightly different angle, and I was not comfortable doing either. I used a hold from a different route to just touch my right toe to and that was enough for me to reach my other hand over, so I'm calling it good enough!

There was also another white I got about 2/3 of the way up, it's very reachy and I'm not overly long, but I'm starting to enjoy doing ones with bigger moves, so long as they're on a flattish wall. There are also a new yellow and a new green that I'm completely stumped on how to even start, which is unusual for both those colours for me. Usually they're easy enough that I can at least see what I need to do, even if I can't do it right away, but I haven't got a clue on these. Is 'sandbagging' where the route is way harder than the grade indicates? If so, they totally did that on these ones.

And then I finished with endurance-type stuff. I picked the top-rope route that's the easiest of the ones I've tried before and climbed the first 3 plywoods 10 times in a row, three times (ie. 3 'sets' of 10 'reps'). Not much more to say than it was both hard and good.

Running

2k in 10:26. I'm happy that I'm staying pretty constant with my time despite being somewhat less than consistent with actually going regularly. Even though the hills are harder than they have been, I can also tell I'm not pushing as hard as I was pre-test, which is fine, at this point I'm just looking to maintain as I am.

Pushups

3 sets (5, 6, 6), all incline on the side of my bed, with help from the dogs (they make it SOOOO much easier!)

Stretching

Done, plus wrists twice.

So, there ya have it, (almost) my entire challenge in one day!

For the record:

Stretching: 17/42 (wrists: 17/42)

Climbing: 6/18

Pushups: 7/18

Running: 5/18

Paralettes: 2/12

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

PASSED THE TEST? AWESOME!!! 

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Level 25 Final Fantasy Rebel

My Epic Quest | My Journey | Currently on the Trial of Orthos
Str: 60 | Dex: 23 | Sta: 66 | Con: 28 | Wis: 55 | Cha: 14

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Build my brother a Destiny 2 Lamp
  • Learn how to do a Handstand
  • Play 1 song on the acoustic guitar
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)
  • Re-introduce Pull-ups into my routine
  • Build a shelving unit next to my Desk

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

"When you stand with your family, your family stands with you."

"Write what needs to be written."

I received my official OACP certificate today!!! That means I passed the last test, and am now completely done with the testing process, at least until I have to retake the physical. Now I just have to apply for a job, and hope I get an interview...

WOOT!!!!

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Climbed today. It wasn't great, I think I'm still a bit fatigued after what, in retrospect, was actually a pretty epic climbing session on Wednesday. I've got some pain in my left forearm that feel suspiciously like tendonitis, which seemed to flare a bit when I pushed my grip, so I laid off the endurance stuff today to give it a rest.

I ran out of time for pushups before work (only because I'm choosing to shower, which I often skip in favour of more sweating, I don't really need to be clean at work, but there is a limit), since I forgot half my climbing stuff at home and had to go back to get it, which killed off about 45 minutes when you add up all the driving...

Tomorrow is hockey, Sunday will be a run and pushups. 

I'll update the record after work, once I've done my stretching.

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Yay, yay, yay!  Congrats on the test passing.  That's awesome!

Hockey and more movement too.  Man.  Every post I see you got some exercise happening or wrapping up.  Way to nail it!

Level 78 ~*~ Ranger

Deviant Art Gallery   ||  YouTube Channel

Current Challenge

"It is difficult.  All things worth keeping are."  Thane Krios - Mass Effect 2

"Maybe it's not as simple as you imagined, Seeker."  Varric Tethras Dragon Age 2

"Staying within your limits is no fun, Ryder."  Vetra Nyx - ME: Andromeda

Spoiler

::PAST CHALLENGES::

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 20 | 21 | 22

23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42

43 | 44 | NEIN | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48| 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61

62 | 63 | 64 | 65 | 66 | 67 | 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72 | 73 | 74 | 75 | 76 | 77 | 77.5 | 78 | 79 | 80 | 81

Congrats!  Soon, we'll all have to start calling you Officer Obax.  ;)

Don't worry too much about the climbing.  We all have our off days, and at least whenever you climb, you are getting stronger.  Good luck with hockey today!

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Today was hockey. We lost, but I scored an amazing breakaway goal (I only imagine it was amazing, since I couldn't actually see it, we unfortunately don't have instant repaly...). I think the only reason I scored was because the goalie wasn't expecting a shot that hard, I didn't expect it either so I don't blame her. We had 3 centres, which means I did more sitting than usual, we usually only have 2, but everyone was pretty good about keeping short shifts, so I didn't really feel out of the game the way I usually do when there's 3 of us.

I also did pushups, my sister made me and I forgot it wasn't Sunday, so I let her boss me around. Which means I don't have to do them tomorrow, I don't think, I just have to run. And maybe play with paralettes, depending on how the wrists feel. *EDIT* Actually, now that I added it all up, to stay on track I do have to do pushups again tomorrow. Good thing my sister was here to boss me today...

Yesterday I totally forgot to stretch anything. In the time it took me to unpack my backpack after work and put on my pyjamas, I completely forgot my plan to stretch before bed. *sigh* If this is my only stretching slip-up, I suppose that's ok, but now I really can't be complacent.

So, for the record:

Stretching: 19/42 (wrists: 19/42)

Climbing: 7/18

Pushups: 8/18

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

I received my official OACP certificate today!!! That means I passed the last test, and am now completely done with the testing process, at least until I have to retake the physical. Now I just have to apply for a job, and hope I get an interview...

Congrats! :) That's great! 

Sounds like you have a great sister, sometimes you just need someone to boss you around a bit.

Main Quest: becoming a decent kettlebell lifter and a great coach

Current challenge: KB Girl prepares to move

my instagram - my gym's instagram

Ha ha ha, You underestimated your own strength! That's the perfect sign of progress, Obax!

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler
  • Clean up the Christmas Decorations and finish setting up my apartment (hang things up, plus some other few things that need to be organized)

"No matter what, if you can hold your head up high, you've done the right thing."

Week 3 Sum-Up

Not bad, not great, ie. par for the course. I've been tired all week, partly my bad sleep habit catching up with me, partly some pre-lady-time blahs, I think. I also keep losing count of my record, I may have to try *gasp* writing it down in my little notebook. The Tabulassins would be proud (is that how you spell that made-up word? I don't remember...)

Goal #1 - Routine

Not bad. I skipped my last running of the week on Sunday, I was just TIRED and had to rush over to my sister's after work for dinner, and it just never happened. I'm ok with this, though I maybe shouldn't be. I can technically catch up by running 3x this coming week, but that's not likely to happen. Then again, I have no hockey on Saturday, so maybe that'll just become my catch-up day.

Got an extra climb in this week, though it wasn't great. I don't climb 3x in a week often enough to know whether the crappiness was just because it was a crappy day or because 3x is too much (3x probably isn't too much, but after climbing Monday and Wednesday, Friday might be too soon to go again, but it's really the only day I have an opportunity to go).

I do think I overdid it a bit on the endurance-type stuff, I'm going to have to tweak that. I have to remember that just because I CAN do something doesn't mean I SHOULD, and that less is probably more with respect to my wrists. I just hate figuring things out by trial and error, it's so damn time-consuming... I'm also thinking of replacing the endurance-type stuff with the rice bucket when I get home, but I'm hesitating on that since past experience shows that I'm not always great at following through with doing a thing after I get home from doing a thing.

Goal #2 - Pushups

Also ok. I skipped a pushup workout on Sunday along with the running. I feel less ok about this, but life conspired to kill my motivation (not an excuse, just a reason). I can still catch up on this by doing them 4 times this week, so that's what I'm going to try for. Not seeing much progress, but I haven't really be consistent enough with the incline pushups yet to notice. One of these days I should try a real one and see if it's any less impossible.

Goal #3 - Paralettes

Skipped this week due to wrist pain. It's a bit of a lame excuse, but my wrists were REALLY sore after all that endurance-type stuff at the climbing gym, so I chose not to push it. I was going to give it a try on Sunday, but I crapped out on that along with everything else, and anyway, I hurt my wrist a bit jamming the horn of my car at a possible candidate for the next season of Canada's Worst Driver, who decided turning left across my lane was a good idea when I was coming at him from maybe 20m away at about 50kph. I skidded and everything *shakes head* Good thing I'm not a natural panic-er...

Goal #4 - Stretching

Also ok. Missed one day due to just plain forgetting. I did do this on Sunday, though it was pretty half-assed. Most of my stretching sessions have been half-assed this week. Gotta make myself be a bit more full-assed with this.

So, for the record:

Stretching: 20/42 (wrists: 20/42)

Climbing: 7/18

Pushups: 8/18

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Yesterday:

Pushups, all incline off the side of my bed (5, 6, 5). They were extra hard for some reason. 

Also stretching.

Didn't get to climbing, and I'm sort of regretting it. This week is going to be hard with my work schedule to get to climbing twice (it's going to be hard to be motivated to do anything, actually), Monday and Wednesday were really the only days, and I skipped Monday... I chose instead to knock a few minor but time-consuming things off my To-Do list that have been staring at me for some time now (one of them is something I've been meaning to do for almost 2 years and just now got around to...) So it feels good to get those things done, but I dunno when else I'll climb this week...

Today I'm going to try to make myself run after work. I hate running in the dark even more than running in the light, and I think it'll be a long day at work today... *sigh*

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

You've gotta put your full ass into this, Obax! You can do it!

Goals for 2021:

Spoiler

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines