• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WildColonialGrrl

With a heart that knew no danger: Chapter 5

Hello Monks!

This year I went back to Taekwondo after a break of around 25 years... I am starting again but there are some things I remember like snippets of pattern movements and basic kicking/blocking moves and sparring technique. I am finding it a nice addition to my fitness activities as it requires such focus that not only do I get a physical release, I am a lot calmer/less anxious afterwards... Except when it comes to gradings. I bailed on the last grading I was almost ready for with the excuses of illness and not having the right headspace for the learning required. Most of that was pure BS.

So, there is another grading date in this challenge. I have 2 patterns to learn, some basic step fighting, basic kicks and blocks and some terminology. I could do with some more cardio fitness for sparring, need to look after my creaky old, damaged joints and connective tissue and am still finding the white uniform makes me look huge in the mirrors (I'm sure if I wore ninja style black, I'd be heaps thinner!).

I need to do a bit of thinking on how I will structure my goals with the impending holiday season (and drinking/BBQ weather here in Oz) but will most likely keep to the structure of Training, Nutrition, Recovery and Side Quest themes of previous challenges.

• Like 1

Enjoy your monk-itude :)

Female_Monk_Dance.gif

Guild Wars monk is the best dancing monk. Unless WoW did something incredible with their expansion, but I haven't seen it yet.

Guild Wars monk is the best dancing monk. Unless WoW did something incredible with their expansion, but I haven't seen it yet.

My favorite was when my guy monk did /flex.  1 handed handstand pushups.

Chapter 5: With a heart that knew no danger

(and definitely wasn't a bundle of nerves for her grading!)

Training - STR 4

Would like to get to TKD classes twice a week but that will not always be possible (Usually I go once a week). I also will be more confident if I practice the things I need for my grading outside this time. Some form of practice - class or at home 3 times a week for the win. This will make me stronger both physically and mentally for the grading. 

Nutrition - CON 2, WIS 3

My first thoughts about this part of the challenge were written as... "You know what needs doing. Find a way."

So, I went looking for ways... Have decided that a complete food diary is in order. Not with any particular caloric/macro goal as yet, but to increase the mindfulness of my eating. I have been making too many excuses and not accepting any accountability only to be disappointed by the results on the tape measure and scales after the last challenge. I have restarted with MFP, but it does my head in a little with all the possibilities the one food stuff and consequent lack of accuracy (I don't want to have to measure everything either, so it's a bit of a catch 22). Writing it all on paper will also be acceptable for the purpose of this challenge. It will be interesting to see how this system copes when it its peak party season with end of work/xmas/holidays/summer.

100% of food/days logged for the win. Under 60% nil points.

Recovery - DEX 3

Flexibility in legs and hips is vital for TKD and stability in the standing leg on the crappy knee side pretty important too. Am going to aim for Yoga/Stretching/Foam Rolling/Massage as all viable options to meet this goal. 5/7 days should be manageable, anything less is slacking off (as has been demonstrated in previous challenges). I want all the points this time!

Side Quests:

Fitness - STA 2

Increase cardio fitness for sparring (and decrease environmental impact and stress levels) by riding my bike to/from work more often. Each leg = 1 point (so I can take the train home if required). Aim is for 30 to/from units (approx 10km).

Life - CHA 1

Get to bed (lights and devices off) by 11 at latest on a school night. Aiming for a minimum of 7 hours sleep. 

Ok, that's it. Am going to do a much more conscientious challenge this time around as slacking does not pay! The party season may be a struggle to keep on track health and fitness wise so the better prepared I am now, the easier it will be. 

You'll find that keeping that food log is gonna be helpful just in terms of being aware of what you're eating. It'll help a ton with all of it. And honestly, don't freak out too much about the numbers you see for the calories. I'm gonna let you in on a dirty little secret - they're all guesses. Yep. Every single one of them. Once you internalize that, it just gets harder to worry about that kind of thing.

Anyway, you're right. Slacking does not pay. You want to be paid. Do it.

Hmmmm... The more I think about that with a scientist (botany) hat on the truer that is. Unless one analyses every morsel that passes our lips there will be variation between each individual carrot depending on nutrient supply, light quality, position etc. I suppose everything is an average value... I will find a way to look at the big picture rather than obsessing over the details. Thanks Kishi!

I know what you mean about MFP and as an eternal cheater I would sometimes pick the carrot with the required number of calories to make the figure fit. In the end we generally know what too much looks like so it's about the accountability and not the numbers.

Good goals, get out there a kick some TKD ass. (Then stretch) :D

Oh man the food log is working its magic already. Two people at work had banana bread today... And I wanted it so! I know this evening I will be having a peice of cake for my mum's birthday so I plugged it into MFP and was horrified to find the carbs from breakfast, lunch and two snacks would be doubled by one peice of banana bread and managed to resist. Not easy but I got there. Will enjoy my cake after dinner though!

Good work!

I love having my food in for the day after breakfast to show me what is allowable for the rest of the day and what I should give a wide berth to.

I have gone to a couple of deep stretch classes at a hot yoga studio. It is amazing how much better my back feels. Recovery is just as important as doing the training. 

Found you. With the monks even, you do get around. ;)

I've been tracking everything for about two months (though I stopped for now) and it's both enlightening and very sad when you realise how many calories there are in things...

Oh and I went cycling! For the first time in like a decade. And I didn't die. :D But my butt hurt afterward, the ride was about 20km and it's so not used to it. :P

It may well be tricky not letting this food log mess with my mind... Have been really hungry today, so I ate. Not necessarily all bad by my definition (and still under carb level for MFP) but trying not to get hung up on the numbers. Sometimes I have hungry days and others I skip meals or don't eat much. But I logged it all and will not feel guilty about it... Coz that's just daft!

[side note: someone at work today offered to share their toasted banana bread with me, I managed to resist... Not easy!]

Did some bodyweight exercise at home today as my PT is out of action getting her wisdom teeth out and in the middle of changing gyms. Managed to give myself DOMS last time so hopefully I won't be too shabby when I get back into a gym. It is making me question where my motivation comes from though. Intrinsic - I am liking my muscles and don't want to lose them (vanity). Extrinsic - I am working harder because my PT pushes me harder than I believe possible and I don't want her to question my exercise log... I want an A (or at least a low B) for my homework! One day I hope it will all be intrinsic one way or another, but will accept any source of motivation at this point.

Stretched after exercise and have massage booked for Thursday. Pushing to get to bed on time and have grading syllabus printed for TKD class tomorrow (and practice).

Determined to hit this challenge hard... Even if that means cold ends to my showers when the weather has turned to crap again!

I have the best success when I put my expected food in first which gives me a chance to tweek the numbers then adjust that to show what I actually ate.

Good job with your workout and remember to have fun at TKD.

• Like 1

In the end, intrinsic or extrinsic, as long as you're moving, it's good enough. Well, and as long as you're enjoying the ride, too.

It's enlightening when you see/feel the difference in what you can attain on your own and what a PT can squeeze out of you. I am sure that they are cyborgs sent back from the future to sort the wheat from the chaff.