• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

WildColonialGrrl

With a heart that knew no danger: Chapter 5

Trying to workout what next. As soon as my routine is altered I go into free fall. If I have learned anything from this failure of a challenge it is that this is something I really need to work on and find ways of managing in the future. I am doing ok, not going backwards but I am not making any real progress either.

That's what happens to me too. If I plan ahead and just stick with the plan, I can do that for a long time. As soon as something throws me off that track, it's like a house of cards.  1 bad night of food can ruin 4-5 days because late night bathroom runs=crappy sleep=missed workout= feeling bad for myself=etc.  I don't seem to be able to rebound back right away and keep momentum.

Eh, sometimes when I have a challenge that didn't go anywhere near how I planned it, the NEXT one is AWESOME!!

Most important is that you are learning things about yourself and how routines work for you.

And, as you can see, we are here for accountability. :)

Glad to see you are ok otherwise :)

At the risk of not making the Christmas Card list this year I offer this advice, sometimes we just have to suck it up and get on with it. Stressed and unhappy with work is pretty much how 90% of the population feel 5 days of the week, 50 weeks of the year. That's not a reason, well not a good reason, to let yourself down, that's just life and we negotiate through it or we don't.  

In the few challenges of yours I have followed this year you have achieved great changes through hard work, dedication and by asking a great deal of yourself. The Around the Bay ride on such a shitty day still blows my mind. That person who got on the bike that day wasn't going to let herself off the hook because it was hot or windy or it wasn't all laid out for her. She had an objective and she was going to do whatever it took to achieve it.

Now go and do it!

ok matt, I accept your kick in the pants.

I'm still doing stuff but the specific goals have fallen away a bit and I haven't really been present to this challenge for a few weeks. 

Goal 1: I am practicing my Taekwondo and did so out of class time last week and can now visualise doing the steps in my head (great for meetings this week). I may not have the numbers but believe I will hit the target this weekend of a confident grading.

Goal 2: Nutrition... I am eating most meals well but then I want chocolate... I wrote it all down for a week and a half then ate a block of chocolate and couldn't face the truth of it. I still do not like facing the truth of what I eat. It is easier to exercise. 

Goal 3: Am now seeing an osteopath regularly. Saw my Dr after elbow ultrasound and best answer is give it time as If it is cracked or bruised the bone will need time to heal and nothing can be done externally to help that. Still hurts when I put it down on a hard surface like a table on the wrong angle though. Yoga yes, stretching a little, ice occasionally and need to book some more appointments for next week for osteo and massage. Rolled once... world of pain suggests I should do it more. If I want to be the person who gets up and stretches every morning I think I am going to need a hard hat.

Side Goals:

Bike: Today the weather is shitty but I got the train to work so at least I am getting some walking despite not choosing to ride my bike. I rode once there and back and took my bike out the other weekend. 

Sleep: Nup. Just nup... 

The numbers are tracking to failure but I haven't given in completely, just lost my way temporarily... It is Monday and there are two weeks left... Have written down what I have eaten so far today but even if I get every day from here on in (xmas parties make this unlikely) it would only be 55%... Grading will be fine, recovery will not make the numbers even if I do something every day because I haven't logged anything for weeks. It's possible to make up the 240km remaining in the last weeks but that wasn't really the point of the exercise. And the sleep goal is finished and I did not win that. 

But here I am again eh?  :uncomfortableness: 

Well, here's the interesting I've seen about challenges. I've seen people do fantastic all throughout up to the last week, who then crash and burn at the very end. And even if they got a ton of value out of the challenge as a whole, they aren't very happy with it because of that ending.

On the other hand, I've seen the reverse as well. People, for whom the challenge has gone poorly, coming back to finish strong. And there's something about that strong finish, despite how most of the challenge went. It lights a fire in people, shows them what they could have been, gives them the righteous anger that infuses a good habit.

I think that is where you are now. This isn't about how well you've done anymore. This is about the end. This is about how you want to leave the challenge, what kind of note you want it to go out on. Your choice is yours, of course, but if you decide to finish strong, we've got your back on it.

You know, this is why I did pseudo challenges and then took this challenge off.  I needed to get a million things done and focusing on any specific goals wasn't working.  I am currently dealing with whatever needs to be done now.  I think there is a season for that...and I am in the midst of it.  I need to start training for the spartan race in April and will jump on board to get those goals in line.  But right now it is whatever is right in front of me, eat as well as I can and get some exercise.

The numbers are tracking to failure but I haven't given in completely, just lost my way temporarily...

If you are still tracking the numbers then at the very least you are still creating data for you to reflect on in a couple of weeks time.

The only real failure would be if you gave up and I don't think that is your style.

Hey yo indeed! What has that man got in his mouth???

Just back from TKD training and confirmation that I passed :D It was a strong grading despite my nerves and a number of more senior people who watched my sparring rounds asked if I was going to compete next year. Not sure what it would involve but I like the sound of it!

It's an interesting thing to think about too... What would make me a better fighter (apart from practice, practice, practice)? Being leaner, stronger and fitter cardiovascularly. Those are pretty decent things to aim for to live a healthy life and might give me some direction in the new year.

Finishing strong whilst enjoying the holiday season is a careful balancing act and I have decided on a 'no zero days' policy for my holidays which started today. Everyday I need to do something that moves me closer to where I want to be. Today was the last TKD training session of the year and a combined class clashed with my usual PT session... So I changed it to tomorrow in the daytime and went to TKD training today.

Eating and drinking good food with good people is going to happen (and I will not be feeling guilty about it) but I can keep moving, keep stretching and taking care of my poor old body, and have as many clean days as I can.

Today gets a 1 or a x or actually... There might be a pirate stamp and a grid to be drawn somewhere! :pirate:

Congrats on the grading! And if they want you to compete in tournaments for them, well, then all the better.

I like this 'No 0 Days' concept. Do one thing per day that gets you closer. I like it!

Today has been another non zero day. Busy day that was ok on diet, got a dentist check up in, did a PT session, walked for almost an hour and had a totally indulgent 90minutes of massage therapy.

This is the blog post I was directed to about 'no more zero days' http://jilltaylor.com.au/2013/11/19/no-more-zero-days/ She gives credit to the Reddit post which I did read but dislike the format...

I think when life gets a bit hectic and I lose site of the main challenge goals I have set this could be a good fall back option. It has got a hard hat vibe to it, trying to keep a run going, I like that.

Taking my Mum to the gym tomorrow for her first PT session/Xmas present. She's keen to put on some muscle! Could be interesting setting her on this path...

• Like 1

Update and very late rambling wrap up of the challenge that wasn't and what I have learnt from the experience...

In the final week of the challenge I started a 'No more zero days' policy which I am now on my 11th day in a row of. Mostly getting some walking in with my Mum post epic seasonal dinners, but it's not nothing!

The wash up:

Training - I always do enough to make the actual goal ok. I perhaps put the numbers higher than is realistic. Once I have a routine, exercise is not a problem for me. I like it... But I can't outrun my fork!

Nutrition - my first nutritional challenge on this site was awesome! It really made a difference in the following months but nothing I have tried since has worked as well. That challenge all I did was focus on what I drank. Keeping it simple is the key and I think I will just have to attack one thing at a time, like biscuits, fast food, chocolate, gluten, added sugar one by one. Thinking to be done before the new year.

Recovery - I did maybe half of what I needed to here. I really need to get this happening especially as the training gets harder and the weights I lift get bigger and my body just gets older! The osteo says I need to spend 5 mins a day over the roller opening my chest to counter tight pecs and poor/anxious posture... My legs say I need to stretch when I get off the loo they day after the gym or sparring. It has to become a habit not something I do after I'm sore.

The TKD has possibly given me some direction for my health journey next year... At an end of year social dinner some of the senior black belts were talking about plans for next year and then turned to me and said you should come up to the Pan Pac Masters games, you'll be a blue belt by then, you'd do great. Hmmm... The timing isn't great with a school camp I am scheduled to go on, but it's doable. With this and the talk of competing next year, I have been thinking about what it would mean to make this my focus, what do I need to be to be better at this sport. I need to be leaner, stronger, more flexible, better cardio ability and have more skill. That would totally work for goal setting for the future!

TKD doesn't start back til early Feb, and I won't get a decent routine back in my life until the end of Jan when I go back to work... I might just hang out with the Druids for the Jan challenge to do a bit of yoga, try mindfulness and get my head sorted (or at least stay calm until a routine is re-established).

Thanks for the support and calling me back into the fold when I lost my way this challenge. I appreciate it.

Plan? Keep it simple in the new year.

Hey, simple works. Simple is good. I like simple. It'll work good for you.

I'm glad that your time with us gave you some ideas about where you want to go. It doesn't sound like you'll be back with us next challenge, but I hope you rock out all the same!

I'm glad you came back after your hiatus! It always makes me sad when my friends leave NF and don't come back. 

I've been looking into recovery routines and I found these 2 videos. Lower body and upper body. I think this is what I'm going to start using.