gsethi's: Building the temple.

gsethi

"Pain is temporary,

Quitting lasts forever."

- Lance Armstrong.

Hey there all!!

I've been scouring and following nerdfitness for a little over a year now but never really took the dive in to join the challenge.

Background

I have been gymming on and off for the last 5 years, not even following routines, or even working out on legs. I used to workout on my own routine using machines, a split on back and chest only (biceps and triceps as well). I'm not so overweight as such but I have lost my general fitness while working on StrongLifts for the last few months, though the strength gains were really good.

My gym membership is ending in 8 weeks time, so I've decided to implement a routine for me to get used to without weights and to get back into sports.

Some stats:

• Current weight: 92.5kgs
  • Squat 5x5 max: 270lbs
  • Height: 176cm

Body weight training has recently caught my interest, and since I'm trying to lose weight and gain some endurance, I thought this would be the way to go.

Main Quest

1. Lose Weight -  2-3 kgs during this challenge (I will be flying out for a cousin's wedding, so I'd also have to control what I eat, and find the time to workout)
  2. Sleep early and enough hours (8-9 hours) - I usually keep myself awake until late and I've realized 7-8 hours is actually not enough for me at the moment
  3. Control on Diet - No I will not be following Paleo (maybe in the future). Right now I'm aiming to stay away from Mcdonalds/KFC, chocolates, cakes, sodas, ice cream and the lot.

Yes my Main Quest has nothing to do with my training and that's because I usually without fail workout at least twice a week.

Side quest

• ​Aiming to read 3 Novels in 6 weeks - Although realistically 2 should be more of a possibility.

I play football at least once a week and will be starting with the Angry Birds Workout for the duration of the challenge.

Half-Orc Ranger in training - Level 2

STR: 4 STA: 2 DEX: 2 CON: 0.5 WIS: 2 CHA: 1

[1 [Current Challenge]

Accountabilibuddies DAI-GURREN BRIGADE

Totally feel you on the sleep thing. I used to thinking aiming for 7.5hrs was plenty (it probably was 5 years ago), but now I'm realizing I need closer to 9. I also have noticed that when I eat paleo, my sleep is more restful. I don't wake up as much and I just seem to have better sleep in general. Not sure if that is an issue for you, but something to think about (not that I am very good at staying paleo...).

Anyway, best of luck to you! What books are you going to be reading?

Level: 2  Race: Elan  Class: None

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Current Challenge | Challenge 1 1.5 2 | Battle Log 

Are you doing the worm in your pic? lol that is awesome

Good luck and work hard

StealingCovert

Soon to be hero Level 0 

STR 0 | DEX 0 | STA 0 | CON 0 | WIS 0 | CHA 0

--The Road--

You can't relate to a superhero, to a superman, but you can identify with a real man who in times of crisis draws forth some extraordinary quality from within himself and triumphs but only after a struggle. ~Timothy Dalton

Decided to get down and start already - following the Angry birds workout with some add on assisted workout:

Main Workout:

Squat: Level 4 -   42, 40, 20 (**)

Pushup: Level 3 - 20, 10, 8, 7, 6, (0)

Pullup: Level 3 - 3, 3, 3, 3, (*)

Planks: Level 2 - 60sec, 32sec, 33sec

I've realized after squatting my first set I do get quite tired, so I'm thinking if I should extend my rest timing (currently at 90secs between each set of each exercise).

I can see that pullups will take me a lot of time, and this would require me to lose weight in order to be able to do more.

Assisted workout:

2 sets each exercise:

Lunges: 13,13 (each leg)

Inverted Rows: 10, 8

Glute Bridge: 15,15

Close-grip pushup: 10, 9

Back Bridge: 14sec, 8 sec

I now go to a park to do cardio instead of doing it in the gym - its about 1/3 the size of a football (soccer) pitch.

Cardio: HIIT - 14 rounds

Short side: Walk

Long side: Jog/Sprint

5 rounds anti-clockwise - Jog

5 rounds clockwise - Jog

2 rounds anti-clockwise - Sprint

2 rounds clockwise - Sprint

[1 [Current Challenge]

Totally feel you on the sleep thing. I used to thinking aiming for 7.5hrs was plenty (it probably was 5 years ago), but now I'm realizing I need closer to 9. I also have noticed that when I eat paleo, my sleep is more restful. I don't wake up as much and I just seem to have better sleep in general. Not sure if that is an issue for you, but something to think about (not that I am very good at staying paleo...).

Anyway, best of luck to you! What books are you going to be reading?

My work and sleep are quite messed up - I just need to get back into routine. Definitely need 9 hours of sleep

I've started reading "The Lucky One" by Nicolas Sparks. I usually read Fantasy novels (LOVE DRIZZT DO'URDEN!!) but I've got to get a bit of other fiction too. Don't know yet which other novels.

Are you doing the worm in your pic? lol that is awesome

Good luck and work hard

It's not exactly the worm - just the beginning of it - only move I've ever been able to do LOL

Thanks for the support guys!

[1 [Current Challenge]

I wish I could attempt it. My face keeps telling me not to try it :)

Great workout Keep it up

StealingCovert

Soon to be hero Level 0 

--The Road--

You can't relate to a superhero, to a superman, but you can identify with a real man who in times of crisis draws forth some extraordinary quality from within himself and triumphs but only after a struggle. ~Timothy Dalton

Another day, another workout.

Decided to visit the gym for a quick 20 mins before I did cardio (not doing consecutive workout days)

Negative Pullups - 5 sets of 2 reps 

Lunges - 2 sets of 10 each leg

Incline Military Press - 3 sets of 10 reps (getting my shoulders ready for handstand - my left shoulder is weak from an injury)

Chinups - 3 sets of - 4 reps, 3 reps, 2 reps (basically as many as I could)

Main Cardio: HIIT - 18 rounds

Short side: Walk

Long side: Jog/Sprint

5 rounds anti-clockwise - Jog

1 round rest

5 rounds clockwise - Jog

1 round rest

1 round rest

2 rounds cooldown

Had to take it easy as I have a long weekend with my girlfriend at a Resort - Gonna see if I can do anything on Sunday

I wish I could attempt it. My face keeps telling me not to try it  :)

Great workout Keep it up

HAHAHAHAHAHHA - try it on your bed first!! That's where I kept practicing - although the first time I did it was on a hard floor, I had hurt my ankle, it was numb for 5-10 mins

[1 [Current Challenge]

Holy cow great workout!!! I laugh on the outside cry on the inside that it was an easy workout lol. Enjoy the resort sounds awesome.

As soon as I get home I am trying the worm on the bed.  

StealingCovert

Soon to be hero Level 0 

--The Road--

Monday - 11/11/2013

Football - 90 mins

Played as a roaming Left Back, managed to keep the opposition quite on my side. No injuries even though I had clashed with another player.

Won 5-4

I've been sick since Tuesday - been quite weak, and have not been sleeping well. So here's hoping to a full recovery weekend with football on monday!!

[1 [Current Challenge]

Hey guys - a good update this time.

I've managed to control on Mcdonalds for a month now (My dad and I used to have it at least 2-3 times a week), and now decided to control on chocolates.

So I've managed to keep it under the lid for 2 days - hell of a time.

Monday - 18/11

Football - 90 mins

Played as Right Back, then Defensive Mid, had a very weak team on my side. Injured my shin a little. Having a few weak players and a goalkeeper that was short and slightly injured, we were mauled quite badly.

Lost 4-8

Tuesday - 19/11

Main Workout:

Squat: Level 4 -   30, 25, 25 (0)

Pushup: Level 3 - 10, 10, 10, 10, 8, (0)

Pullup: Level 3 - 2, 2, 2, 2, 2 (0)

Planks: Level 2 - 60sec, 32sec, 30sec (0)

Tried to keep the workout consistent throughout, didn't want to burn out too quickly - hence I did as many x10 rep pushups, and kept my pullup form as clean as possible. This was because I didn't do this workout for 12 days @_@

Assisted workout:

2 sets each exercise:

Lunges: 13,13 (each leg)

Inverted Rows: 8, 6

Glute Bridge: 15,15

Close-grip pushup: 12, 10

Back Bridge: 20sec, 16sec

Surprisingly I managed to improve on the close grip push up and the back bridges since last time. 

Decided not to do cardio and head home to sleep early. 

[1 [Current Challenge]

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines