cline has stuff in the basement

cline

I'm supposed to see coach this am.... Anxiety.....

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

Sneeeeaaky.

Why anxiety?

Anxiety that he'll say my lifts look like shit, that I'll miss my heavy lifts, that he'll say "dude you got fat" you know. ..

I haven't seen him in a few months bc his schedule.

But It went really well. I adore him.

Deets next post.

Also the clothes I bought are nice. $$

Pardon typos, I'm eating jerky.

I AM going the distance

'Cause all I wanna do is go the distance. Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood.

So saw the coach today and he had a great program for me.

Heavy push press to several singles at 95%

Bench work up to heavy sets/reps at 85%

Squats all repped at 85% of my new 1RM which worried me but I hit every damn one repped! SQUEEE and he said they looked good!

Deads working up to singles at 90%. He tweaked my deads a bit and then while 85% went up so easy and then the 90% were going up easy...

So he was working w another client too and said to rep my 90%. And they both watched.

Coach: I want to see you rep those

Other client: I want to see this too!

Me: doing it now....

And I did and it was easy and coach said looked really good. And she said "you're really strong"

I said "not yet but I'm working on it"

And that's how winning is done!

It was great to see coach, get some actual coaching, etc. we talked about how people develop bad habits in lifting when they aren't regularly watched by a coach and some of the stuff people do. He's so smart. He's so exited I'm going to the seminar.

Also one of his assistants is lifting same day as Gainsdalf so imma thinking I might go.

Then spousal unit wanted brunch even though I tried to talk him out of it. I did not have beer. I had an Irish coffee minus the whipped cream.

• Like 2

I AM going the distance

Oh, don't get me started on personal trainers. As far as I'm concerned, they're the enemy. Just as I'm willing to admit the *possibility* of an honest (or at least well-intentioned) polititian, I'm forced to admit that there may be a personal trainer who does more good than harm.

They aren't all shitty.

I promise you. I'd agree that a great deal of them ARE... but they aren't ALL bad all the time. 

Good job on the repping of 90% :D  iz a good feeling. 

Challenge update:

1.  CANI = constant and never-ending improvement, stemming from the Kaizen philosophy of improvement. 
To improve

• take a minimum of 2 private sessions in Muay Thai this challenge

Took one and am scheduling the next one but my schedule is tight and so is the coach's.  So, we'll see.  We can only train around other classes, so it's hard to get on the books.

• work technique on the heavy bag at every lifting session when I’m at my home gym – if only for 5-10 mins, shadow box when I’m traveling – focus on technique

I'm only sometimes doing this.  I reached a point after a workout the other day where I thought "I've already been here 1hr 45 mins... I honestly want to go home".  I'm not sure this is always going to work.  Sometimes my lifting program is really long and given I train at the end of the day, sometimes I just want to go home and spend more than an hour at home before I go to bed.  I like doing this but I'm not sure it's in my best interests either as coach has told me that too much Muay Thai will detract from my lifting.  *sigh*  So maybe the answer is 2x week?  I don't know.  I continue to think and ponder on this. 

2.  Mental Toughness –In general, I’m good with this in my work and personal lives.  I am the person you want in a crisis.  I am not always mentally tough in my workouts or sparring.  I’m going back to something I did a few challenges ago:

• Use one of my toughness mantras in every workout – I have good ones, I just let go

This is going well.  I have been working on this again and it's good for me. 

• Work on FOCUS

I get distracted looking at the silliness at the gym, trying to remember what’s happening to have stories for later, etc. 
To work on focus, in part, I honestly need better playlists - a new playlist every week

Only think about lifting during big lifts (assistance work goes to fast for messing around but I still need focus).  I tend to practice my Muay Thai skills... no more.  I can't tell you how hard this will be for me.

I need to make this week's playlist.  I made one last week. 

I get so distracted at my regular gym.  I love stories and having stories to tell and I love people watching.  I also have trouble just sitting on a bench doing nothing.    

• Sign up for a seminar in something related to Muay Thai or lifting or something – out of my comfort zone, don’t over think it. 

Done.  Coach is thrilled.  I'm terrified. 

• Test up in Muay Thai

Registered.  Coming up.

• Get back to sparring regularly (I haven’t been back since I got hit so hard, not my victory)

This is a tough one for two reasons:  1) I'm thinking about switching into the advanced students only class which is earlier in the evening.  This is a much better class, my skills will improve dramatically, I like the student mix a lot better, etc.  My boss has given tentative approval to flex my schedule to accomodate this.  What that means is sparring becomes a problem b/c it's not until after the later class. I do not want to wait around an hour just to spar.  2) two of the women I normally spar with are hyper competitive in a "I'm tougher than any man or woman" way and I'm just not wanting to get into a pissing match every damn time.  I do really like the coach who is taking over sparring.  I need to look at the calendar to see if there is another night or something. 

I'm honestly feeling that I want the better class to become a better athlete and I would really like to be home earlier most evenings. 

• Set one PR if coach’s programming calls for it (probably will)

Done.  Squat PR this week.  I think there are more coming but I'm not sure b/c my programming doesn't work like that.

3.  Emotional Control –…. Find emotional control around diet in order to lose weight.

• No snacking when bored at work – which means, no nuts.  

Holy shit this is going well (and it's soooo hard).  I love nuts and have come to really rely on them as a snack - especially when traveling and snacks are few and far between.  I have not had any nuts except those 10 that first week.  I have not been snacking at work unless I'm physically hungry and doing a much better job overall.  I think starting the new job also helps. 

• No beer for fun (1x week max but only 2)

Mixed here.  It's very limited and it's making a big difference.  Beer really hates me since I went paleo. 

Anyhow, my weight is finally going down again.  I've lost 5# and I've got about 5-10 more to go to be happy again. 

Sidequests:

• Rocky Fat Ass Run – do at least 5K with GoRuck peeps

I think this has fizzled out partly b/c it's cold and partly b/c people forgot.  I can't get spousal unit to do it and honestly, I don't feel like going alone.  We'll see.  It would be hilarious though so I keep thinking about it.  But I really don't want to go alone. 

• Explore new fighting course at gym

There have been no updates.  Gym was busy with a lot of fights, an in house BJJ thing, and testing. 

• And just because it makes me happy and coaches have been impressed, work my kicks more

I've been doing this. 

I got out to see coach this week and that was amazing.  It's soooo go to get the feedback and coaching.  I get to go next week too.  I didn't anticipate this b/c his schedule and some other stuff, so this is a bonus win this challenge and it makes me happy.

I'm also really thinking about the earlier Muay Thai class and less heavy bag work at my gym bc honestly, I could use a bit more at home time.  I like reading in the evening or playing with the kittehs.  I miss spousal unit.  Just an extra hour would be so welcome sometimes. 

Right now I normally eat dinner somewhere between 8-9 and try to get to bed by 11 but that means I generally fall asleep reading.  I want to do more actual reading....

I AM going the distance

and then this.  The world is helping me in a greater quest these days.

http://www.t-nation.com/training/turning-pro-7-mind-hacks

• Like 1

I AM going the distance

Oh, don't get me started on personal trainers. As far as I'm concerned, they're the enemy. Just as I'm willing to admit the *possibility* of an honest (or at least well-intentioned) polititian, I'm forced to admit that there may be a personal trainer who does more good than harm.

We're not all bad, the unqualified/lazy ones ruin it for the rest of us (and sadly they tend to be the most vocal). One of the big issues is there isn't enough accredited well known programs that personal trainers go through to become one. I'm doing a two year college program and going onto university to become an exercise physiologist (I'll be able to work in hospitals with special populations after) but to get the can-fit pro certification that's required at most gyms in Canada it's pretty much pass a test and a weekend course :-(.

It's great to see you're find the coaching helpful and it's improving your lift's! Hope you're enjoying your new purchases as well.

Race: Dwarf Class: Ranger Level: 3

STR: 9 | DEX: 7 | STA: 9 | CON: 6 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 8

Current-5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you

Sorry... I was definitely painting with much too wide a brush.

I'm talking about the sub-breed that hang around in places like the YMCA and teach people just enough to be dangerous; who will take hundreds of dollars of their clients' money and don't teach people to be self-sustainable, who walk people around from upper-body machine to upper-body machine.

On the other side, I do feel that coaches, in general, get way too little credit for their work.

We're not all bad, the unqualified/lazy ones ruin it for the rest of us (and sadly they tend to be the most vocal). One of the big issues is there isn't enough accredited well known programs that personal trainers go through to become one. I'm doing a two year college program and going onto university to become an exercise physiologist (I'll be able to work in hospitals with special populations after) but to get the can-fit pro certification that's required at most gyms in Canada it's pretty much pass a test and a weekend course :-(.

It's great to see you're find the coaching helpful and it's improving your lift's! Hope you're enjoying your new purchases as well.

Sorry... I was definitely painting with much too wide a brush.

I'm talking about the sub-breed that hang around in places like the YMCA and teach people just enough to be dangerous; who will take hundreds of dollars of their clients' money and don't teach people to be self-sustainable, who walk people around from upper-body machine to upper-body machine.

On the other side, I do feel that coaches, in general, get way too little credit for their work.

I kinda feel like I should clarify some stuff even though these aren't my posts.

A lot of the trainers at my gym are total crap.  Weekend certs, etc.  There are a couple that are decent but they are also limited by clients' wants and needs. 

I have used trainers in the past - one less than a year ago.  He was good and I enjoyed him very much but he was not the best thing for me. 

I do want to clarify my coach is actually a coach (not a personal trainer) and has more qualifications etc.  than pretty much any trainer you'll find.  He also doesn't hold my hand, chat, or do anything else a trainer would do.  He says "feet too wide", "why did you do that with your hips?" and "there.  good you listened" and we move on.  That's it.  But he's trained with some of the greatest lifters out there and was mentored by the best at various times.  So, he's not a personal trainer.  I needed much more than a personal trainer could offer. 

I AM going the distance

Awesome lifts, cline!!

Woot for repping your 90%! And awesome time with coach!!!!

And that article was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't always write because baby on me, but I am always lurking in your thread cheering you on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, guys!

It was a great lifting day.  I forgot that after I repped the 90%, I was told to add on a set of 10 touch and gos keeping them really close and fast at 185#.  Felt sooooo good.  I love tacking those on at the end. 

• Like 1

I AM going the distance

I'm supposed to go out to see coach tomorrow. I'm kind of freaked bc I just PR'd the squat and I'm afraid he'll tell me to back off again.

I last PR'd it in May. But then I had surgery and couldn't squat heavy and had to work back up and by then I'd added a form problem from rehabbing so we had to get that fixed...so it's been forever and I've been really sad. I also feel like it should be a lot higher. It's only at 225 now for working 1RM which isn't very good.

Also, I'm down 5#. 

All sorts of goodness there!

Also the clothes I bought are nice. $$

Always a good thing! Especially when purchased from the comfort of your couch!

So saw the coach today and he had a great program for me.

Heavy push press to several singles at 95%

Bench work up to heavy sets/reps at 85%

Squats all repped at 85% of my new 1RM which worried me but I hit every damn one repped! SQUEEE and he said they looked good!

Deads working up to singles at 90%. He tweaked my deads a bit and then while 85% went up so easy and then the 90% were going up easy...

So he was working w another client too and said to rep my 90%. And they both watched.

Coach: I want to see you rep those

Other client: I want to see this too!

Me: doing it now....

And I did and it was easy and coach said looked really good. And she said "you're really strong"

I said "not yet but I'm working on it"

And that's how winning is done!

It was great to see coach, get some actual coaching, etc. we talked about how people develop bad habits in lifting when they aren't regularly watched by a coach and some of the stuff people do. He's so smart. He's so exited I'm going to the seminar.

See, no anxiety necessary. Awesome, awesome job. You rock!

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

All sorts of goodness there!

Always a good thing! Especially when purchased from the comfort of your couch!

See, no anxiety necessary. Awesome, awesome job. You rock!

Clothes purchased from home are THE BEST!  They start arriving today.  I bought from stores where I know my size, fit, etc. so it shouldn't be too traumatic. 

I love going to see coach.  He's good for my soul in so many ways.  He gets me in a way WMAT never did - generational differences, personality differences, etc. He's also just kind and smart and just a good person.  He makes me feel good without praise.  He's short on praise and rarely does it.  Most likely you'll get "see, you listened." We never put stuff on boards or talk PRs.  We just lift and tweak form, and lift and watch form and you just do it because you are there and that's what you do. 

I AM going the distance

Ready for the tough love part?

You need to keep giving tough love. No, wait, here me out. I mean it. You are really good at it and I've noticed you've been giving out some awesome advice to our rebels and I just want to say thanks. ;)

Awwww.... super big hug to you my friend. 

I'm old.  I've lived through a lot, done a lot.  Someday I should make a list of the things I've done or learned.  I think some of you would be pretty surprised to know more about cline.  Emcee was surprised I was a sorority girl.... lol.  (doing sorority sit right now!). 

I AM going the distance

I totally wanna see what you ordered.

Ooooo..... heh. 

Today I'm wearing that black/white color block skirt w tight black turtleneck, chevron print black panty hose and black booties (3 1/2"). 

I AM going the distance

Last night:  MUAY THAI!!!!  SQUEEEEEE

I love that my coaches are taking inspriation from Glory.  So awesome.

Last night's skill was working a power combo:  jab, cross, power left  uppercut.  Oh boy!

So I totally fought with my nemesis.  Man I hate that thing.  I need a new one.  Anyhow... after all our warmups and shadow boxing we worked a bit of technique on the uppercut.

Uppercuts are the last thing I've been working on.  I wanted to get my hooks improved then I figured I'd do uppercuts.  So I was really glad to have a class to focus on this (and my knee has been bugging me so less kicking would be good for the night).

I ended up partnered with the super competitive woman (more on that later).  Well... she struggled during the technique work.  Really struggled.  I did really well (but it's technique stuff) and I actually really surprised myself.  Turns out coach was ON and what he was saying just totally resonated with me. 

We did freestyle pad work with a go combo of jab, cross, left uppercut, cross, left uppercut followed with any leg kick.  So for pads, every combo finished with a leg kick and then our partner could order the go.  We also did Power rounds of just jab, cross, uppercut.  The goal was to hit the upper cut for accuracy and total power (really hard) and to not worry about how many rounds we did - okay to reset, etc. 

Well, well, well.... turns out... I got me a mean left uppercut!  Who knew??? I did not.  Boy did I enjoy it.  And wow can I hit hard!  Coach came by and told me it was really good!!!  I'm so stoked b/c this means all that hip rotation work and other stuff I've been working on is finally coming together and I just need to find my identity in combos.  Oh wow.  I was so excited when I did it correctly and felt it.  You guys know that feeling...

anyhow, just a fantastic class.  I was so proud of myself, so happy so see the hard work paying off, so excited.

My partner was not happy.  She's not very good at technique and her uppercuts are terrible.  She fights based on intimidation and anger.  I finally figured that out last night.  The harder she tried, the angrier she got - you could see it in her face.  Coach kept coming to correct her which made her very mad.  I felt really sorry for her.  She's the one that said she knew she'd win any match b/c of her size and nobody could take her but then her opponent did a really good job.  If she could control the anger and rely less on the over confidence, she'd improve. 

She was also the one who lifts maybe 1 day week and posted about how she was doing the same meet as Gainsdalf.  I was so shocked.  So last night I finally worked up the nerve to ask - telling her I knew two people going and I'd go when she was lifting.  Oh well, turns out after all the bravado on FB, she isn't competing and never signed up.  I asked her "well don't you have to pull 400# just to be competitive?" and she said "oh I never looked at what other people do.  I didn't bother to look at the standards.  I just know I'm good".  But she's not lifting enough to be good enough to compete. 

I see value in confidence but not in over confidence and I truly do not understand that mindset.  Humility is, IMHO, a much better trait.  I'll get farther in life working hard at technique always than just believing nobody can take me and not working technique.  Even with all his bravado, Ali worked hard. 

Last night was a fantastic night for me.  I wish I was going tonight too.  I might work the heavy bag a bit. 

• Like 3

I AM going the distance

Chevron print panty hose?!?!

Where can I find these?!

HA!  I usually get my tights from London shops when spousal unit goes (or I go).  I used to get to London a few times a year, now only about 1x year. 

I wear all sorts of fun tights - polka dot, fishnet, cabled, lace, etc.  But in black and only with the right outfits. 

sending you a pic.

I AM going the distance

I wore black on black patterned tights with booties today today :) must be the weather. 

I had a pencil skirt and vest on though LOL

YAY For winter fashion tights. they make me happy. 

YAY for shopping too- I'm a shopping limit- I have issues- but I'm always happy with other people get fun stuff!

Yay for things coming together in Muay Thai!

I feel kind of bad for Competitive Girl. Not enough to not want to smack her upside the head because she doesn't get it, but if your confidence is what's holding you back and preventing you from improving, which seems to be what is up with her, you have a problem.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines