FDA Bans Trans Fats in the US

Waldo

Disclaimer: I am Paleo and rarely eat transfat because I agree it is unhealthy. Saying that, I really think we would be better off without the government deciding what is healthy for us or not.  Chances are the food companies will just replace it with something else that is unhealthy. The best thing is for people to take charge of their own health and make decisions for themselves what they will or won't eat. 

Then again, I also voted against the labeling of Genetically Modified Food for very similar reasons. So, I guess I am an odd duck in that I would like people to eat healthier, but don't really think it is the government's responsibility to decide what that means.

• Like 4

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Disclaimer: I am Paleo and rarely eat transfat because I agree it is unhealthy. Saying that, I really think we would be better off without the government deciding what is healthy for us or not.  Chances are the food companies will just replace it with something else that is unhealthy. The best thing is for people to take charge of their own health and make decisions for themselves what they will or won't eat. 

Then again, I also voted against the labeling of Genetically Modified Food for very similar reasons. So, I guess I am an odd duck in that I would like people to eat healthier, but don't really think it is the government's responsibility to decide what that means.

I don't think it is the government deciding what is healthy. I think it's them finally stopping people from sneaking an unhealthy thing into foods and passing it off as healthy. Next up, msg.

Nerd Fitness Secret Santa is going on! Sign up ends on the 28th! http://www.elfster.com/exchange/view/9477898/91303a/

The post title is a little misleading. The FDA didn't ban trans fats; they provisionally removed them from the "generally recognized as safe" list. That means that they have to go through the FDA testing and approval process before being added to foods, not that they are flat-out banned. And that's only if the provisional ruling is made permanent. Basically, all this means is that the FDA is considering no longer classifying partially-hydrogenated oils as safe for human consumption without restriction.

only what you take with you

Challenges: Starstuff Wars Episode I, II, III, IV, V, VI  

NF character ~ Fitbit ~ Strava ~ Smashrun ~ MyFitnessPal

Food Log

Monosodium Glutamate - a flavor enhancer produced from corn. People hate it for some reason.

On that note, is there any actual evidence that it (MSG) is harmful to humans?

Supposedly there is no proof.  I know that even smaller amounts give me headaches, so there is something there that probably has some sort of intolerance factor. 

Nerd Fitness Secret Santa is going on! Sign up ends on the 28th! http://www.elfster.com/exchange/view/9477898/91303a/

The post title is a little misleading. The FDA didn't ban trans fats; they provisionally removed them from the "generally recognized as safe" list. That means that they have to go through the FDA testing and approval process before being added to foods, not that they are flat-out banned. And that's only if the provisional ruling is made permanent. Basically, all this means is that the FDA is considering no longer classifying partially-hydrogenated oils as safe for human consumption without restriction.

So, they can still have them but they have to be tested and approved? I am not sure I follow this process. What are they testing for?  If they are saying it is unsafe then wouldn't it fail any tests? What are the restrictions?

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

One thing I love about trans fats is that the threshold required to label it is so high compared to how much of it most foods actually contained even before awareness started being brought to it. In the US, it's 0.5g per serving, in Canada I think it's a bit lower, like 0.2 or 0.3, where suggested upper limits on consumption per day are 1-2g, and that's from sources trying to be a bit realistic (i.e. ideal would be "only that naturally occurring in meat and dairy"). And yes, you can and do see much smaller quantities of stuff labelled, they could label the trans fats in mg like Sodium if they wanted.

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

So, they can still have them but they have to be tested and approved? I am not sure I follow this process. What are they testing for?  If they are saying it is unsafe then wouldn't it fail any tests? What are the restrictions?

If you don't know how it works why are you all for doing away with this sort of thing? Corporations and business marketplaces don't have the rights and freedoms of individuals. Individuals have the right that any food sold and labeled as food has to be safe to eat. Businesses do not have the right to sell whatever they want labeled however they want with no food safety standards.

Its basically the same way MJ was made illegal originally, prior to the FCSA; yes it technically was legal, however it requires an impossible process (approval/tax), which for all intents and purposes makes it illegal.

currently cutting

battle log challenges: 19,18,17,16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1

don't panic!

If you don't know how it works why are you all for doing away with this sort of thing? Corporations and business marketplaces don't have the rights and freedoms of individuals. Individuals have the right that any food sold and labeled as food has to be safe to eat. Businesses do not have the right to sell whatever they want labeled however they want with no food safety standards.

Its basically the same way MJ was made illegal originally, prior to the FCSA; yes it technically was legal, however it requires an impossible process (approval/tax), which for all intents and purposes makes it illegal.

My first post was sort of a knee jerk reaction. In some cases (like GMO's I mentioned)  I disagree with the labeling, because it can be vague and not actually tell the consumer very much. When Starstuff went into further detail, I realized, that yea, like you said, I was saying I disagreed with something before really understanding. So amend my first post to I haven't really studied the issue enough to make an informed decision on the matter. I will think on it.  

• Like 1

Unless that business is Driven Sports  and you have amphetamine analogs in your product. Guess they got dealt with though.

I wish they would tackle high fructose corn syrup next. And MSG, like someone mentioned.

Level 3 - Half-Elf Warrior, STR - 5 | DEX - 1 | STA - 6 | CON - 5.5 | WIS - 3.5 | CHA - 5

I know where I'm going, and I know the truth, and I don't have to be what you want me to be. I'm free to be what I want. ~  Ali

Previous Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

I wish they would tackle high fructose corn syrup next. And MSG, like someone mentioned.

I highly doubt either of these things would ever be banned.  They are not unsafe.

Not healthy, but agreed, not unsafe.  Also, WAY WAY too much money behind HFCS to change anything about it.  

That said, back to the OP.  My stance on this news is "Who cares?".  The FDA has proven that they don't really have consumers health at the core of their values and they can be manipulated.  It's up to us to take responsibility for our own health and do our own research on foods.  

My understanding is that substances on the "generally recognized as safe" list are free to be used in consumables without any testing. For substances that aren't on the list, but haven't been deemed across the board unsafe, manufaturers can submit an application to use them in a particular context. One of the things required for the application is evidence that the substance has been rigorously tested for human safety in the context the application is for. The FDA then reviews the data and either approves or denies the application.

So, the "generally recognized as safe" list is supposed to contain only food additives that the FDA has high confidence based on scientific data has no negative effects on human health when consumed under its intended use (which includes things like concentration and serving size). This ruling means that the FDA is (provisionally) no longer confident that partially-hydrogenated oils pose no risk to human health when consumed in the contexts, quantities, and concentrations in which they are being used in foods.

only what you take with you

Challenges: Starstuff Wars Episode I, II, III, IV, V, VI  

NF character ~ Fitbit ~ Strava ~ Smashrun ~ MyFitnessPal

Food Log

HFCS is not good for you, but the evidence as to whether it's any worse for you than other sources of refined sugar is mixed. I don't see it being banned. What I would like to see is a shift in farm subsidies away from subsidizing corn production so much...

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women