FDA Bans Trans Fats in the US

HFCS is not good for you, but the evidence as to whether it's any worse for you than other sources of refined sugar is mixed. I don't see it being banned. What I would like to see is a shift in farm subsidies away from subsidizing corn production so much...

There's pretty strong evidence that HFCS (of the concentration that is 50/50 glucose/sucrose, which is the most common) is metabolized nearly exactly like cane sugar, which makes sense since the body breaks down sucrose into roughly equal amounts glucose and fructose before processing. Corn syrup that doesn't have fructose added (that'd be the "corn syrup" you see in bottles at the grocery store) is nearly all glucose and is therefore less likely to mess with insulin response than sugars that have or are broken down into a higher fructose:glucose ratio. Of course, regular corn syrup doesn't taste as sweet as HFCS, which is why companies use HFCS (sweeter = less quantity required for same sweetness in product = lower cost).

Which is not to say that I disagree about corn subsidies. Just that corn isn't exactly the primary problem in this particular instance.

HFCS is not good for you, but the evidence as to whether it's any worse for you than other sources of refined sugar is mixed. I don't see it being banned. What I would like to see is a shift in farm subsidies away from subsidizing corn production so much...

HFCS is neutral for you, just like regular sugar and most everything else you eat.

"Neutral"?! Not from the standpoint of causing higher blood glucose levels, insulin surges, insulin insensitivity, pre-diabetes, and diabetes. A very strange thing to say, notanartmajor.

With sufficient activity, none of those things would occur to the vast majority of the population (sans the insulin surges, which aren't a bad thing at all, just because Taubes says so, doesn't make it true).

Sugar doesn't give you diabetes.

"Neutral"?! Not from the standpoint of causing higher blood glucose levels, insulin surges, insulin insensitivity, pre-diabetes, and diabetes. A very strange thing to say, notanartmajor.

It's not strange at all when you realize that those things are either caused by overeating and/or being obese, not unique to HFCS, or not even bad in the first place (Specifically the case of insulin surges. If you want to gain muscle you're gonna want some insulin surging.)

At some point one just has to give up.

Don't give up, look deeper into some of the things we're saying that you don't like. You might just end up surprised.

• Like 1

Its basically the same way Michael Jackson  was made illegal originally, prior to the FCSA; yes it technically was legal, however it requires an impossible process (approval/tax), which for all intents and purposes makes it illegal.

That's EXACTLY how I read that.

HFCS is neutral for you, just like regular sugar and most everything else you eat.

I don't think that completely empty calories are "neutral" in a world where obesity is a huge problem. While there's arguments about the virtues of labelling foods as "good" and "bad", there are certainly some foods that you should eat regularly others that you should less frequently, and things containing lots of refined sugar of any sort are clearly in the latter category. That's not to say that you can't enjoy a cookie every now and then.

I don't think that completely empty calories are "neutral" in a world where obesity is a huge problem. While there's arguments about the virtues of labelling foods as "good" and "bad", there are certainly some foods that you should eat regularly others that you should less frequently, and things containing lots of refined sugar of any sort are clearly in the latter category. That's not to say that you can't enjoy a cookie every now and then.

You can't blame obesity on the food. Well, you shouldn't anyway. It is entirely possible to eat whatever kind of food you want without becoming obese. If I overeat, I don't get to blame the food, unless it became sentient and forced me to consume it somehow.

Don't feed the trolls.

I'll thank you not to accuse me of trolling, unless you have some legitimate reason to do so. Disagreeing with your viewpoint is not trolling. If you disagree with the statements I am making then disprove them. Find some studies. If you are correct then they will exist.

I'll thank you not to accuse me of trolling, unless you have some legitimate reason to do so. Disagreeing with your viewpoint is not trolling. If you disagree with the statements I am making then disprove them. Find some studies. If you are correct then they will exist.

Careful, I learned the hard way that not all points of view are accepted here. #bannedfromchat #soontobebannedforhashtagging

A pro-paleo web site is not an appropriate venue for anti-paleo diatribes, any more than a butchers' web site is for repeatedly arguing that "meat is murder," or a vegans' web site is for repeatedly arguing that vegans are stupid for being vegans. In all three cases it is also trolling.

I should follow my own advice not to feed the trolls.

I completely disagree. It's nerd Fitness.

Not nerd Paleo.

If the mods really don't approve they can say so. But we have a Paleo section and this is.. Last I checked was still general nutrition. So it's not inappropriate to discuss general nutritional information in the general nutritional section.

• Like 2

What frozen pizzas come to mind? Is this an imitation cheese thing? A lot of companies have switched to palm oil as their solid vegetable fat in the years since we've been aware that trans fats might not be so great for us, I know at least some of the more "natural" brands of margarine use it instead of hydrogenated oils. Of course there has been some anti-palm oil backlash recently because of...something to do with orangutans. I think the increased demand is increasing farming which is encroaching on their habitats? So I don't know what direction that will go in in the future.

• Like 1

I do wonder what will happen with products that rely somewhat heavily on trans-fats products - certain frozen pizzas come to mind. Also what becomes of margarine?

Purely 2nd hand info, but I heard the one industry/food that this is going to impact the most is microwave popcorn.

A pro-paleo web site is not an appropriate venue for anti-paleo diatribes, any more than a butchers' web site is for repeatedly arguing that "meat is murder," or a vegans' web site is for repeatedly arguing that vegans are stupid for being vegans. In all three cases it is also trolling.

I should follow my own advice not to feed the trolls.

A pretty solid majority of posters here are NOT paleo, including most long time posters.

There are a lot of different groups here.  NF is also one of the most bodyweight friendly sites that is more general than a site dedicated to bodyweight work.

What frozen pizzas come to mind? Is this an imitation cheese thing? A lot of companies have switched to palm oil as their solid vegetable fat in the years since we've been aware that trans fats might not be so great for us, I know at least some of the more "natural" brands of margarine use it instead of hydrogenated oils. Of course there has been some anti-palm oil backlash recently because of...something to do with orangutans. I think the increased demand is increasing farming which is encroaching on their habitats? So I don't know what direction that will go in in the future.

Ah, TIL. Thanks for the info.

Purely 2nd hand info, but I heard the one industry/food that this is going to impact the most is microwave popcorn.

Thankfully I'm not a big fan of that.