FDA Bans Trans Fats in the US

Waldo

Oh and for the record I was talking about the Totino's frozen pizzas. I only want one every few months or so, but it's good to know they probably aren't in danger.

Me too oddly enough.  They are the absolute dirt cheapest pizza one can get, but they are unique, and something that I crave from time to time.  Perhaps its just nostalgia from the college years when food money was scarce.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

You want an anti-paleo diatribe?

I personally think the fundamental basis is flawed (we don't really know exactly what paleolithic humans ate, and even if we did it would be impossible to reproduce, and human evolution is ongoing), and that the elimination of food groups that I consider to be perfectly healthy is strange to me (whole grains, legumes, dairy). 

On the other hand, the focus on whole foods is a good thing. And I think it's a whole pile less flawed than, say, raw food veganism, and is certainly healthier than many ways of eating, and the government food guides probably over-promote grains and dairy (and don't put enough emphasis on whole grains), because they are based in part on politics and not just nutritional science. And yeah, truth is, we don't know what the "optimal" diet is.

There's another site I've been to (the site as a whole isn't fitness related, but it has a fitness forum), where basically if you post anything anti-strict Paleo you'll get piled on.

I would say NF promotes Paleo as a way of healthy eating, but it doesn't do so to the extreme of saying you should eat 100% Paleo all the time and never again let a grain or legume or dairy product pass your lips.

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

Purely 2nd hand info, but I heard the one industry/food that this is going to impact the most is microwave popcorn.

Crap. :(

lol

Sculptor - Warrior

LVL 4 | STR 10 | DEX 8 | WIS 12 | CHA 8 | STA 1 | CON 6

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, they can still have them but they have to be tested and approved? I am not sure I follow this process. What are they testing for?  If they are saying it is unsafe then wouldn't it fail any tests? What are the restrictions?

Our excessively large and inefficient government has decided to tell the public they are saving them from something that may or may not be harmful,so that they can license the right to sell it to us through the backdoor......yay.

You are only a conspiracy theorist until you are right. Then you are a visionary.

Our excessively large and inefficient government has decided to tell the public they are saving them from something that may or may not be harmful,so that they can license the right to sell it to us through the backdoor......yay.

Its a conspiracy man.  They're gonna get you.

• Like 1

currently maintaning

don't panic!

You want an anti-paleo diatribe?

I personally think the fundamental basis is flawed (we don't really know exactly what paleolithic humans ate, and even if we did it would be impossible to reproduce, and human evolution is ongoing), and that the elimination of food groups that I consider to be perfectly healthy is strange to me (whole grains, legumes, dairy).

Paleo nuts also conveniently skip the insect part of the paleo man's diet. Cheaters....

Anyway, I agree. It's a decent way of eating, and certainly helps people lose weight. But as other's have stated, it's not perfect.

"I've torn a hamstring tendon and re-injured my knee, lower back, and upper back while doing yoga. Don't get me started on shin splints. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't, so might as well be strong." - Some guy on the SS forums.

"Heavy is dangerous, but light is no fun." - Mark Rippetoe

"Squats are a good assistance to bring up your curl, as a bonus you can do your squats while your are still in the curl rack." - SJB

I still really want someone to give me an education on why HFCS is worse biologically than sucrose in the same amounts.

The argument is generally based around how fructose is metabolized differently from glucose, and HFCS has more fructose than cane sugar (Is there some truth to that? Maybe). My favorite is people railing against HFCS, because it's high in fructose, and then turning around and suggesting Agave nectar instead (which is often even higher in fructose than HFCS).

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

Its a conspiracy man.  They're gonna get you.

I should have said "more dangerous than other saturated fats", Look at the back of the big jar of coconut oil in your cupboard. Find out the processors name. (there are only three domestic importers of coconut oil in the US. Then go find out how much they donated to the DNC last month. I also see how Diane Fienstien's husband's company started heavily investing in pork producing companies last month. Perhaps could that be because these will be the two most available and logical replacements for trans fats? Hmmmmm anyone see my tinfoil hat?

You are only a conspiracy theorist until you are right. Then you are a visionary.

I should have said "more dangerous than other saturated fats", Look at the back of the big jar of coconut oil in your cupboard. Find out the processors name. (there are only three domestic importers of coconut oil in the US. Then go find out how much they donated to the DNC last month. I also see how Diane Fienstien's husband's company started heavily investing in pork producing companies last month. Perhaps could that be because these will be the two most available and logical replacements for trans fats? Hmmmmm anyone see my tinfoil hat?

Oh brother. Get a grip.

What the FDA is doing is not some gov't conspiracy moneymaking scheme for politicians. Trans fats are harmful, period. Lacking inclusion in the Federal Controlled Substances Act schedules, which would require an act of congress (LOL that ever occurring, they have a hard enough time wiping their own behinds after crapping let alone actually doing something legislative), the FDA can't actually ban stuff, but they can enact impossible to cross barriers that for all intents and purposes bans things, without technically doing so. Yes, companies technically can use trans fats if the product is approved by the FDA, no the FDA will never issue an approval barring a major change in scientific thinking on trans fats. Contrary to popular belief, they aren't all out to get you, some organizations within the gov't do in fact do what is best for the public good, the FDA is by and large one of them.

LIS, this is no different than how MJ was banned originally. It was never actually illegal until the federal controlled substances act. It was perfectly legal to own if you paid the taxes on it. There was no mechanism or way to pay the taxes on it. Which made it illegal without technically being illegal.

currently maintaning

don't panic!

The argument is generally based around how fructose is metabolized differently from glucose, and HFCS has more fructose than cane sugar (Is there some truth to that? Maybe). My favorite is people railing against HFCS, because it's high in fructose, and then turning around and suggesting Agave nectar instead (which is often even higher in fructose than HFCS).

Yeah, and part of what people fail to realize is that the "high fructose" in HFCS only means the levels of fructose are high compared to mostly-glucose regular corn syrup. Compared to sucrose, you're looking at an identical fructose:glucose ratio with HFCS once the sucrose is broken down. Agave is something like 90% fructose as compared to HFCS's 50%, which makes it awesome if you're making your own energy gels/drinks for endurance sports (the difference in the way fructose and glucose are metabolized means you can actually absorb more sugar calories per hour with a combo of the two than with either alone), but makes no sense for use in situations where high fructose levels might be a concern.

Having spent a lot of time baking for people who don't do dairy for a variety of reasons, I'm highly skeptical of coconut oil will replace trans fats in mass-produced goods. Coconut oil is relatively expensive as oils go, and it doesn't give the faux-buttery texture people use trans fats for due to its low melting point. It seems much more likely that companies will go back to using palm oil and lard like they were before hydrogenated oils were a thing.

As an aside, I find a 2:1 palm:avocado oil blend to be the best non-dairy butter replacement in baking in terms of both texture and flavor.

only what you take with you

Challenges: Starstuff Wars Episode I, II, III, IV, V, VI  

NF character ~ Fitbit ~ Strava ~ Smashrun ~ MyFitnessPal

Food Log

You know, it seems like the Europeans regulate unhealthy foods better than the US. That statement is mainly based off some reading I did years ago. They've had a red food dye banned for years because it's not healthy for humans, but the FDA ignores it. It's in alot of our candies and soft drinks I think. Vague and fuzzy knowledge here but I know alot of people are allergic to this red dye. I believe it's in twizzlers and the cinnamon candies. I'd fact check but the weather is killing my internet.

°~°

°¬°