SammyShark - First Challenge!

SammyShark

It might be easier to try and forget about the weight for a little while. Don't fear the scale! It tells half-truths and sometimes it lies outright. If you've been doing more or less all the right things, then you're making progress, no? Keep at it, and the weight will come off regardless of how many times you check it or when. You can do it!

You're so right. I know I should not weigh myself as often. It's borderline compulsive... But ... I did weigh myself this morning, and I was actually down half a pound, which just further proves that I'm crazy! Gotta calm down and trust the program.

Level: 2  Race: Elan  Class: None

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Current Challenge | Challenge 1 1.5 2 | Battle Log 

Day 9! 

Still going... so that's good! 

Points today: 0.75

Points total: 17.5 

Today is a low point today. It's an active rest day, so no working out, and no OA meetings that fit into my schedule. C'est la vie! 

Food: 

Breakfast - coffee + coconut oil + heavy cream 

Lunch - big ass soup + butter + pot roast 

Dinner - salami + prosciutto + cheese + red wine 

Good day for food. I'm pleased. 

Exercise: 

25 minute walk with the dogs. I only get points if I do more than 30 minutes of walking with the dogs, and that just wasn't going to fit into my schedule this morning. I'm still glad I got out and walked a little though. 

Thoughts: 

I don't think I should weigh myself tomorrow. I do it too often as it is, and I haven't been able to poo today. Ugh. 

I've kind of set myself up for a rough day today. I did not get up and exercise in the morning. I stayed up far too late reading Harry Potter. I've got a retirement party to go to after work today, so I may have to actually wait until that is over to workout! Eek!

BUT - I might be able to squeeze some workouts in during the day. I *might* be able to get my BBWW in over lunch, which would be great, because then all I've got left to do is my run. It's not a terribly long run for today, should only take about 30-35 minutes. Well, maybe closer to 40... Ugh. I'm so dumb. Well, my coworker told me to just leave here early to make it to the party on time, because it starts at 5pm. If I leave here at 4:30, I could get home and I'd have until 5:45 to run (because my friend and I just made a plan for her to pick me up around then) and then get ready for the party. That's probably enough time. I think. I hope. *Crosses fingers.*

Yes. This is my plan for today. Go home at lunch and bust out the BBWW as quick as I can. Eat fast and head back to work. Work hard until 4:30 and then get home again to run. I'll have to try to run fast and also get out of the house ASAP, but that's okay. The only possible hiccup is if one of my clients comes in late today, then I probably won't be able to leave at 4:30. So, here's hoping!

Good luck today! That's a crazy schedule. Hope everything works out the way you want it to!

Aisha
Half-Giant Warrior, Level 5

STR: 7 || DEX: 6 || STA: 8 || CON: 7.5 || WIS: 12.5 || CHA: 5

Challenges: 5 4 3 2 1

If you have come here to help me, you are wasting your time.

But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine,

then let us work together. -Lilla Watson

Does coconut oil change the taste of your coffee?

Yes - it does. I think it depends on the quality of coconut oil. I actually just bought a different variety today, and it seems to have a much more mild flavor. This must be what people are talking about when they say you can't taste the coconut when you use coconut oil for cooking. My previous jar was VERY coconut-y! But I really like the coconut flavor, so I enjoy it in my coffee. It's also kind of weird, just so you know, in case you try it, because the oil and the coffee separate, obviously, so there is a layer of oil on top. I try to swirl mine around before I take a swig, but actually when you tilt your cup, you can get coffee and oil in the same sip. Honestly though, it just started as me needing a healthy fat in the morning, and randomly trying this. I guess it's loosely based on the bullet proof coffee thing too.

Yeah! Don't let pesky interruptions interrupt your bad-assdom! Have fun at the party!

Hah - stupid interruptions interrupting things!

Good luck today! That's a crazy schedule. Hope everything works out the way you want it to!

I ended up getting in my first workout, but not my second. Had to make that run up yesterday then. But, all in all, not too shabby, I guess!

Keep up the great work, from one newbie first challenge to another!

Thanks - you too!

Gah! I have been totally MIA these last two days! Sorry. Here's a brief catch up:

Day 10

Points today: 1.5

Points total: 19 

Food:

B - coffee + heavy cream

L - chicken + sausage + carrots

D - 1 egg + 1 TBSP butter + roast beef (small serving) + 1 deviled egg + a few berries + wine (at the retirement party)

Exercise:

3 times through the BBWW

Day 11

Points today: 1.5

Points total: 20.5

Food:

B- coffee + heavy cream

L- salami + cherry tomatoes

D- variety of pork, sausage, chicken, fish and various veggies off the Whole Foods hot bar. YUM!

Exercise:

35 minutes running/walking on the treadmill. I hate the treadmill. I'd much rather run outside. It is quite cold here now, but I just need to suck it up and run outside anyway. That's my project for tonight!

Thoughts:

My average points per day thus far is 1.86. I'm staying on track well, then, to achieve my A!

I moved my Wednesday run to Thursday. I don't know how I feel about that. It cannot become a regular habit though, because procrastinating on working out is how I always manage to NEVER workout. Tonight, I will go home and do the BBWW 3 times through, and then head out for a run. Actually, I should run first since it's getting dark so early. Whatever, same difference.

My weekend days are usually higher in points because I have more time to do things, and that's also when I go to OA meetings. That will help me pad my points a bit, too! :) I've just realized though that I need to be keeping track of the breakdown of my points to make sure I know what my grade is in each Goal. Gah.

Also, dilemma - Saturday there is a 3 hour OA meeting. They are normally 1 hr. This long meeting will be a bit of a workshop. I'm trying to decide if it should count as more than one meeting? I feel like if I still go to the Sunday meeting, I can count the Saturday meeting for extra, but if not, then Saturday only counts as one. Does that make sense?

Day 12 

Points today: 0.75

Points total: 21.25

Food 

B- coffee + coconut oil + heavy cream 

L - salami + tomatoes

D - whole foods mix of meat and veggies from yesterday

S - organic red wine 

Exercise

None

Thoughts

I'm super depressed. I missed my dad. It's getting harder and harder to feel motivated. The last couple of days, I've thought it was stress from work bearing down on me. I'm not stressed about work on a Friday, I assure you. I am just horribly depressed. And that's just life. 

Will run tomorrow, and do the BBWW. I'll have more time then anyway. I am just going to cry a lot tonight.

I am also just in a really horrible mood today. I want to be talk to someone. I want to feel better. But anyone I try to talk to annoys me for no reason. Which makes me feel like a bitch. And then I just feel like I don't belong and I should probably go sit in the corner by myself. I know I am being melodramatic, and I will feel fine tomorrow, but - sheesh - this sucks.  

Day 13 

Points today: 4.25 (big day!) 

Points total: 25.5 

Food: 

B - eggs, bacon, butter, kale

L - apple + peanut butter (not paleo) 

D - some fruit/nut/seed mix (not paleo) + cliff bar (not paleo) + coffee w/ heavy cream 

Dinner was sort of a disaster tonight. We were supposed to go out for dinner before the Elton John concert, but I don't think anyone took into account all the traffic we'd be up against. Every restaurant had a 1.5-2hr wait time. I wasn't really surprised, but whatever. Anyway, we ended up having "eat" at a coffee shop. I got the most healthy, paleo-ish foods I could, but they really weren't. So today is my one non-paleo day of the week. Suck. 

Exercise: 

Ran/walked for 40 minutes, BBWW 3 times through! 

Great day for a workout! 

OA: 

I went to a 3 hr OA meeting/workshop. It was actually pretty good. Very informative. It also made me see that a lot of the things we encourage on NF (community, encouragement, mindfulness, etc) are the same things that OA encourages, so that's interesting. Now, the way OA points are set up for the challenge, I get 1 pt for the first two meetings each, and 0.5 points for any additional meetings thereafter. If I attend tomorrow's meeting, that will be 4 hours worth of OA meeting time, so I am electing to give myself credit for 3 meetings for this one workshop - but if I don't go tomorrow, then I must revise and will only receive credit for one meeting this week. 

Thoughts:

I think I've still got a run to squeeze in tomorrow to finish my workouts for the week. That's fine. No problem. I just need to be productive during the day, getting stuff done to prep for the coming week. I am SO excited that week 2 is almost over and week 3 is nearly upon us! I'm stoked to get throught week 3 and level up!!!! 

Off to bed now - cheers! 

• Like 1

Day 14 - End of Week 2!!!! 

Points today: 1.75

Points total: 27.25

Food: 

B - eggs, bacon, kale, butter 

L - sweet potato, butter, a few figs

D - roast beef, carrots, onions

S - pb 

Exercise: 

NONE. Holy crap. I did nothing today. It was sort of glorious, but I really should have run... But I just didn't. That means I skipped a run for the week. Not cool. But not the end of the world. It doesn't mean that I have to stop working out completely and revert to a lazy shark. 

OA: 

Did my first phone OA meeting today. It was different. It's super convenient, but I think I need to be careful about minutes. I think I will do one face-to-face and one online meeting next week, just to give myself some options. I should also talk to my mom about our family cell phone plan. I'm so used to not even worrying about minutes because no one calls anymore, and the few people I do call are either on the same network or in our circle. It'd be really great to be able to do meetings on my way to and from work if I wanted to. It's not a bad idea. 

Thoughts: 

This was sort of a disappointing end to week 2. I didn't really do much today that was good for myself. Well, I didn't binge, which is great. That's a full two weeks of no bingeing. That's pretty huge for me. And I was feeling especially crazy and binge-like today. Good thing the weather is getting crappy, or else I might have done... 

I'm worried I'll weigh more tomorrow than I did a couple of days ago. That is probably a constant fear. Only one way to know. Sigh. 

I'm also very nervous for the upcoming holiday. My lovely sister has agreed to make a crustless quiche for the small family gathering we're doing in the morning. She does high fat low carb, so we can make our food choices overlap frequently. The afternoon will be the hard part of course. I need to try to focus on engaging in other activities than eating, eating only pre-planned foods, drinking lots of water (and as much diet soda as I want if it keeps me away from stuffing and potatoes and dessert), and only eating during pre-planned times too! Someone at OA actually told me it was okay to lie and tell my family I need to be somewhere else. My family would never accept that... I may need to go home to check on the dogs though, because that is completely legitimate. I know my mom doesn't want to go overboard either, so hopefully we can provide some support to each other. I just know if I start eating carbs, I will not stop eating them, and then I will like crap the next day and have horrible cravings for more carbs. It's just not worth it. 

Anyway - I'll try to do a whole Week 2 round up tomorrow morning. My plan for tomorrow is to work and watch Dr Who in the theatre, so my Monday run is being pushed to Tuesday. Unless I miraculously get really ambitious and decide to run tomorrow morning. You know, that's what I should do. I bet that I could even get 5 runs in next week, since I don't have work Thursday or Friday. 

Off to bed! Cheers. 

Hey Sharkie! You've been doing freaking great - I'm impressed with how you manage to get up, exercise, and have a cooked breakfast - then make it to work on time! I'm terrible with that, I get up just early enough to work out and shower, can't remember the last time I cooked anything for breakky.

To bad about not getting your run in, but hey that stuff happens. I am sure you will be all over it next week!!

Super awesome of your sister to make something up that is 6weekchallenge friendly for you to eat, having the family on board makes a world of difference, particularly around the holidays!

Keep it up, you're a legend, and definitely text me after you see Doctor Who! I haven't been able to talk to anyone about it yet!!!! :P 

900 years of time and space, and I never met anyone who wasn't important.

Level: 2 |  Race: Time Lord | Class: Adventurer
STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 1 | CHA 2

---

Check out my current Challenge here

See my first Challenge here

Keep it up, you're a legend, and definitely text me after you see Doctor Who! I haven't been able to talk to anyone about it yet!!!! :tongue:

I will text you as soon as it's over! I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

Looks like you're doing great!  I fell behind a bit last week too and am going to try to make up for it this week.  We can do it!

Thanks, Raxie! You guys help me stay motivated more than anything else, and I am SO grateful for that. Week 3 is going to be AWESOME, despite the little hiccup called Thanksgiving! :)

• Like 2

WEEK 2 Round Up!

Weight: 181.5

Pounds lost this week: 2 (boo)

Pounds lost since Nov 11: 12.5 (crazy)

Points total: 27.25

Points per day: 1.95

General Thoughts

This second week has been much more difficult than the first week. I can feel my motivation starting to wane. I also gained a pound somewhere during the second week, because a few days ago, I was at 180.5. I know that this is not that big of a deal, but it is pretty devastating to my psyche. I very nearly binged this morning because of it. I don't know what compels me to want to binge after gaining weight, since what I really want is to not be fat, but I think it's just further evidence that I eat my feelings.

I think I may be sleeping too much. Do I really 9 hours every night? Sometimes I don't think so. And some days I feel like I'm getting into a sleeping funk, where I sleep so much that I always feel tired. I've got to watch out for that.

Thoughts on Food

I need to get better with planning my meals, like I was during the first week. Honestly, I didn't really go grocery shopping this last week, and you can tell. I ate weird random paleo things, supplemented with occasional non-paleo things. Planning is key when it comes to food. I think I ate closer to 80/20 this week, whereas last week I think I was really eating more 90/10. I prefer that, honestly. I think 20% non-paleo is too much for me, and I eat the wrong things and it's harder to stay on track.

Goal 1 Grade for Week 2: A-

My non-paleo foods were greater this week than last week. Technically, I completely stuck to my plan - eat 80/20 6 days per week. But ... I know I can do better.

Thoughts on Exercise

I skipped a run this week. I am getting tired and it's getting cold. And this is the hardest part for me. Making this a habit. Bouncing around when I do my runs (AM/PM, days of the week, etc), makes it harder to establish an actual routine. I think splitting up my BBWW and runs is definitely a good thing. I may consider changing up some days this next week. I could do BBWW MWSa, and run TRFSn this week. That might not be a bad idea. And then walk the dogs the other days (MWSa). But always be getting up to DO something each morning. Try to make a habit...

It's also getting harder because the weather is changing and it's getting colder. I need to decide whether or not I'm going to suck it up and run outside (which I think is probably the best idea) or get a gym membership, just for a few months. It'd be nice to have a gym membership because I like to watch TV while I run and do classes and stuff, but gyms are expensive. And the streets are not. So I think I will continue running outside this week. Plus it's not even that cold this week - highs in the low 40s. Doable.

Goal 2 Grade for Week 2: C

Skipping one run was bad enough, but I know one of my other runs was also totally crap (Thursday's). It was just a super shitty run and I'm not proud of it and I'm not pleased with it, and I know I can do better.

Goal 3 Grade for Week2: B

I did all my required beginner body weight workouts this week, but one of them, I only did two rounds...

Thoughts on OA

I went to a 3 hour OA workshop this last week, and also tried out a phone meeting. It was interesting. I think it's good to have options. I don't have to share when I do the phone meeting though. I'm not sure if that's okay. I think it's okay. As long as I'm really listening to what they're saying and taking it to heart and examining what's going on in my own life, I think it's fine. 

Life Quest Grade for Week 2: A+

With the 3 hr workshop, I had 2 extra hours worth of OA time this week, which is pretty awesome.

Week 3 Plan of (Shark) Attack!

Do Better.

Make a grocery list and go shopping so I can prepare meals for this week.

Split up running and BBWW - get up early each morning to do one or the other.

Continue with OA - figure out minutes for cell phone plan to make sure I'm not using up all the family minutes with phone meetings.

Don't fuck up Thanksgiving.

Thanksgiving Plan of (Shark) Attack

I need to be at my sister's by 10am on Thursday. I would like to will get a run in that morning, and also, bonus walk the dogs at some point. I'm not sure if that will happen before or after I go to my sister's, but it'd be nice to do it after...

We'll be at my sister's from 10am until probably 4pm. My lovely sister has agreed to make something paleo and HFLC friendly (she does HFLC), so I don't really need to worry about what I'm doing there. I will have coffee, water, diet soda if I want (I know, I know), and a good serving of this crustless quiche she's making. I don't need to have anything else.

Around 4pm, we're supposed to head over to my Aunt and Uncle's for actually Thanksgiving dinner. My family goes all out for food on holidays, so there will be veggie platters (with copious amounts of unhealthy dips), meet/cheese/cracker platters, and probably some other appetizers; the works for dinner - turkey, stuffing, at least 3 varieties of potatoes, etc.; and a multitude of desserts - for sure pumpkin and pecan pies, but probably bars and cookies and other crap, too. I would like to be able to run home and walk the dogs between these two events. I just think it would be the best time for them to get a walk (since they won't see us from 10am until who knows when, otherwise), plus it'll give me a chance to regroup before heading into the combat zone. I think I'm gonna do it. I don't care what anyone thinks. I'm doing it. Eden needs it.

So the plan at my Aunt and Uncle's is to drink lots of water, diet soda if I need, maybe a couple of glasses of wine, eat as much turkey and raw veggies (no dip) as I want. I think one serving on green bean casserole is going to be okay, too, and a serving of sour kraut (even though there's sugar in it - well, depends on who in the family makes it). But no stuffing (I will go on a tear if I eat stuffing), and no white potatoes (same), no cranberry sauce (even the homemade stuff, which I grew up on, has unbelievable amounts of sugar, and I can't justify that), and no bread either. I want to have a little pie though. I want to do a half slice of pumpkin and a half slice of pecan.

I don't think there's any reason to eat anything else. I've had it all before, I know what it tastes like, I know I can have it again in the future if I want. If I do eat the other crap, I'll end up bingeing most likely, and I'll have horrible cravings the next day (regardless of whether I binge). So I just need to stick to this plan. Staying engaged in conversations, watching football, drinking water - those things will all be important to keep me away from the food.

After this family food fiasco, I'm supposed to swing by my friend's family get together. They do a big party and invite lots of people, but by the time I'm getting there, I can easily say I've already eaten way too much and can't eat anymore, have a couple glasses of wine, and then go home. Done.

Tl;dr - Turkey day won't be entirely paleo, but it's gonna be damn close. I'm not going to count calories, but I'll only eat the following: 1 serving of crustless quiche, unlimited fresh veggies, unlimited turkey (or other meat), one serving of green bean casserole, one serving of sour kraut, 1/2 slice of pumpkin pie and 1/2 slice of pecan pie. Lots of water, unlimited diet soda (if it helps, I'm doing it), and a few glasses of wine (but no other alcohols). Simple. Bring it on, holidays!

I'm really, really impressed by your Turkey Day plans! I started off giving myself a pass (for this Thursday and Saturday) by saying I could get an A for my food goal as long as I deviated on no more than 2 days. But now I'm thinking I might be letting myself off too easy. This is supposed to be a lifestyle change, right? You've inspired me to rethink my T-Day plans. Best of luck with yours!

Aisha
Half-Giant Warrior, Level 5

STR: 7 || DEX: 6 || STA: 8 || CON: 7.5 || WIS: 12.5 || CHA: 5

Challenges: 5 4 3 2 1

If you have come here to help me, you are wasting your time.

But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine,

then let us work together. -Lilla Watson

You are doing phenomenal! And don't worry about that one pound gain sometime during the week, weight fluctuations are completely normal. Eating a bit more salt the day before a weigh in than normal will result in 'weight gain' as your body will be carrying more water than normal!

You are superb. Look back to you first post, read your motivations and thoughts to try and help reimburse it:) And I'm so glad you got to an OA meeting. Maybe I'm going to sound like an  idiot, but what exactly is an OA meeting? Aha, I hope you had a god day today. And as for the run, a break day never hurt nobody, don't beat yourself up over it. Just try and learn from it!

P.S.: great planning for thanksgiving! hope it went well!                                                                                                        

Hey Sharkie - you are doing GREAT!

Chica, I know the feels. Getting through the second week, it's not all a cruisey ride down hill is it? Heaps of ups and downs (in weight and mood!) everyone here knows it's easy to get stressed over this stuff, because we're all trying so hard to work towards our goals and don't want to feel like we're moving backwards. You're rocking it, just like @thecucumberqueen said, don't stress the one pound, because damn girl you've lost 12.5 since you've started and that is amazing! That stuff is always in flux (just like time and space ;) ) and you can't stress those little ones, it's the long term stuff that counts. You might consider doing away with the scale all together, and weigh yourself at the very end of the challenge only.

Sometimes you do need 9 hours of sleep, sometimes you don't! I know what you mean by the "sleeping funk", and my best advice is to go to sleep at an hour when you know you'll get around 7-9 hours, and when you wake up naturally in the morning, get out of bed straight away! When you're body wakes itself up, you're in the best position (as far as all those sleepy brain waves go) to get out of bed and start feeling energetic and awake straight away. I can also recommend using an iphone app called "sleep clock" or one that is similar, you keep your phone under your pillow and it keeps track of your movements at night, graphing out how long you spent falling asleep, dreaming, etc - then in the morning it wakes you softly in your lightest moment of sleep. Sounds like a bunch of shit I know, but I used this for a year and holy crap it is accurate. 

All in all, you are doing awesome. And your updates are great, they seriously keep me inspired. Your thanksgiving plan is fantastic as well, I can imagine that would be one of the hardest holidays as it is usually all about stuffing one's self with goodies. You're going to kill it!!

Have the best week 3 ever! I would wish you good luck, but you don't need it, keep winning you legend!!!

• Like 2

900 years of time and space, and I never met anyone who wasn't important.

Level: 2 |  Race: Time Lord | Class: Adventurer
STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 1 | CHA 2

---

Check out my current Challenge here

See my first Challenge here

I can also recommend using an iphone app called "sleep clock" or one that is similar, you keep your phone under your pillow and it keeps track of your movements at night, graphing out how long you spent falling asleep, dreaming, etc - then in the morning it wakes you softly in your lightest moment of sleep. Sounds like a bunch of shit I know, but I used this for a year and holy crap it is accurate. 

I can also attest to the awesomeness of these alarm clock apps. They completely improved my energy during the day and sleep quality at night (since I'm not all groggy during the day I get more done, which makes me more tired and fall asleep faster, etc).  I know I sound like an informercial but I swear by this thing.  I think SleepBot is on most operating systems and is free.  It also records noises if you want, which is hysterical for me since I talk in my sleep.

Also I know how you feel with the one pound.  I weighed myself every day last challenge and it killed my bad-ass feeling constantly.  That's why this challenge I only decided to weigh myself every 2 weeks.  I find even from week to week you can have huge fluxuations (especially being a female), but real weight loss does show itself in a 2 week period.  You've lost so much already so far! Don't beat yourself up :] You're doing great.

I'm really, really impressed by your Turkey Day plans! I started off giving myself a pass (for this Thursday and Saturday) by saying I could get an A for my food goal as long as I deviated on no more than 2 days. But now I'm thinking I might be letting myself off too easy. This is supposed to be a lifestyle change, right? You've inspired me to rethink my T-Day plans. Best of luck with yours!

Wow - thanks! I know I am setting pretty (sort of) lofty goals for Turkey day, but I know if I eat white potatoes or stuffing, it's all gonna be downhilll. Knowing that you guys are rooting for me, and we're all in this together definitely gives me extra motivation!!!

You are doing phenomenal! And don't worry about that one pound gain sometime during the week, weight fluctuations are completely normal. Eating a bit more salt the day before a weigh in than normal will result in 'weight gain' as your body will be carrying more water than normal!

You are superb. Look back to you first post, read your motivations and thoughts to try and help reimburse it:) And I'm so glad you got to an OA meeting. Maybe I'm going to sound like an  idiot, but what exactly is an OA meeting? Aha, I hope you had a god day today. And as for the run, a break day never hurt nobody, don't beat yourself up over it. Just try and learn from it!

P.S.: great planning for thanksgiving! hope it went well!                                                                                                        

Thank you! I am going a bit mad because I've put on another pound, but it's got to be water weight/period bloat. There's just no other explanation.

OA meetings are Overeaters Anonymous meetings. Very similar to AA but for compulsive overeaters. I've long suspected that I am a compulsive overeater, and when I was younger I had anorexic and bulimic tendencies (I really didn't recognize the bulimic tendencies though because I was never a stick-your-finger-down-your-throat purger... well, sometimes, but not really). Anyway - the meetings are very ritualistic. It's kind of the same thing every time, with a script and stuff, but different readings (so much like Catholic masses!) and you get to share about your feelings and stuff. I don't know if it's helping, or how much it's helping, but I know it can't hurt to have a few more people in my corner telling me that No - you don't have to eat ALL the foods!

Hey Sharkie - you are doing GREAT!

Chica, I know the feels. Getting through the second week, it's not all a cruisey ride down hill is it? Heaps of ups and downs (in weight and mood!) everyone here knows it's easy to get stressed over this stuff, because we're all trying so hard to work towards our goals and don't want to feel like we're moving backwards. You're rocking it, just like @thecucumberqueen said, don't stress the one pound, because damn girl you've lost 12.5 since you've started and that is amazing! That stuff is always in flux (just like time and space ;) ) and you can't stress those little ones, it's the long term stuff that counts. You might consider doing away with the scale all together, and weigh yourself at the very end of the challenge only.

Sometimes you do need 9 hours of sleep, sometimes you don't! I know what you mean by the "sleeping funk", and my best advice is to go to sleep at an hour when you know you'll get around 7-9 hours, and when you wake up naturally in the morning, get out of bed straight away! When you're body wakes itself up, you're in the best position (as far as all those sleepy brain waves go) to get out of bed and start feeling energetic and awake straight away. I can also recommend using an iphone app called "sleep clock" or one that is similar, you keep your phone under your pillow and it keeps track of your movements at night, graphing out how long you spent falling asleep, dreaming, etc - then in the morning it wakes you softly in your lightest moment of sleep. Sounds like a bunch of shit I know, but I used this for a year and holy crap it is accurate. 

All in all, you are doing awesome. And your updates are great, they seriously keep me inspired. Your thanksgiving plan is fantastic as well, I can imagine that would be one of the hardest holidays as it is usually all about stuffing one's self with goodies. You're going to kill it!!

Have the best week 3 ever! I would wish you good luck, but you don't need it, keep winning you legend!!!

The hardest part for me is getting out of bed before my alarm goes off! I know that some days I wake up earlier but I look at the clock and say - oh, 45 more minutes. Then it's way harder to get up when my alarm does go off. It's all in my head though! Gotta get past that! I think I will try one of those apps.

I really like those Turkey Day plans! I might copy you  :peaceful:

Yay! Good luck! :) Let me know how it goes!

I can also attest to the awesomeness of these alarm clock apps. They completely improved my energy during the day and sleep quality at night (since I'm not all groggy during the day I get more done, which makes me more tired and fall asleep faster, etc).  I know I sound like an informercial but I swear by this thing.  I think SleepBot is on most operating systems and is free.  It also records noises if you want, which is hysterical for me since I talk in my sleep.

Also I know how you feel with the one pound.  I weighed myself every day last challenge and it killed my bad-ass feeling constantly.  That's why this challenge I only decided to weigh myself every 2 weeks.  I find even from week to week you can have huge fluxuations (especially being a female), but real weight loss does show itself in a 2 week period.  You've lost so much already so far! Don't beat yourself up :] You're doing great.

SleepBot - got it! Trying it out starting tonight!

Maybe I should try weighing myself less frequently next challenge too. Man, it's hard. I don't usually get so crazy that I weigh myself multiple times per day, but I have a hard time not weighing myself every day. Something to think about, for sure!

Gah - haven't updated in a couple of days! Woops....

Day 15

Points today: 0.5

Points total: 27.75

Food:

B - missed

L - tilapia, olive oil, veggies (peppers, cabbage, mushrooms, carrots, tomato)

S - coffee, heavy cream, coconut oil

D - cashews (gah)

Exercise:

None... :(

OA:

None

Day 16

Points today: 2.5

Points total: 30.25

Food:

B - kinda skipped it... :-/

L - turkey, tomatoes, snap peas, pistachios

S - pistachios (fall back paleo food)

D - chicken, sweet potato, butter

Exercise:

Awesome run and BBWW! Great workout - finally! I think taking a couple of extra days off was really beneficial.

OA:

None

For today (Day 16) I'm going to go for a run after work. Taking the day off from BBWW, back on tomorrow. I think I need to focus on getting more of my calories in earlier in the day and not eating so late at night. I've been blowing off breakfast and eating later in the day the last couple of days. Not eating too much, or anything, just later at night. But, I've also gained 2 lbs over the last 4 days. Most frustrating thing ever. It's gotta be period bloat though. It can't be anything else. So, I need to have some faith and power through. For the record, this is the longest I've gone without bingeing in I don't even know how long, and I attribute 75% of that to NF. And I keep telling myself that even though I am having weird gains right now, bingeing won't fix that, it won't make it better, it won't make me fitter, and it won't make me feel more comfortable in my own skin. (Look at me, being all rational and crap. What the heck!) I'm going to do an online OA meeting tonight, too.

AND I'm going to post an update tonight. I need to get back on track with posting my updates on NF.

Day 17 

Points today: 1.75

Points total: 32  

Food: 

B - Coffee, cream, coconut oil 

L - turkey, tomatoes, carrots, snap peas

S - pistachios 

D - chicken, sweet potato, butter 

Exercise: 

Run - had another AWESOME run. I finally feel like I'm just fit enough to remember why I enjoyed running before. I'm still slow as crap, but whatever. I like it! 

OA: 

I missed the 9pm online meeting. There's another 10pm, but I don't want to stay up until 11. I will probably just do one on Friday then. I know I won't have time tomorrow. Although, there's a marathon phone meeting that will be going on all day, so I could call into that throughout the day tomorrow if I'm feeling especially weak. Definitely something to think about. 

Review of Thanksgiving Plan of (Shark) Attack: 

Run & BBWW in the AM. (7am) 

Paleo friendly crustless quiche at sister's. Coffee. Fruit (a little). (10am-3pm) 

Walk dogs. Possibly listen to OA phone meeting on walk. (3-4pm) 

Dinner at Aunt & Uncle's (4:30pm-9:00pm) (Eat fresh veggies, turkey, ham, green beans almondine, other meats, maybe 1 slice of pie) 

Head to friend's for wine, and escape (whenever I need to) 

Drink lots of water all day. Drink as much coffee as I want. Even soda. Have some red wine (alternate with waters) 

BOOM. If I don't eat pie, it might end being pretty damn close to a paleo thanksgiving. I don't know if anyone is making green bean casserole or sour kraut (the only other acceptable sides I could think of), so I'm making green beans almondine and will just eat loads of it. Also, my mom informed me she is not making pumpkin or pecan pie. She was planning to make a white chocolate cranberry cheesecake (acceptable, holiday themed alternative) but tonight she decided it was too much work and just stuck a frozen peach-berry pie in the oven. Gross. I don't know if there's going to be any pie there that I want. Pie is the only permissible dessert for tomorrow. And NO FOOD at my friend's house!!!!! Even if I don't get my pie earlier. NO.

WE CAN DO IT!  

Today is Thanksgiving and I am in a horrible mood. I gained another half pound over night. That's 2.5lbs in 4 days. I know 4 days is not that bad, and 2.5 lbs is not that much, but this is the hardest thing for me. 

How the fuck am I supposed to be motivated to eat healthy TODAY, of all days, when I've been eating healthy for the last 2.5 weeks, but still managed to GAIN 2.5 lbs back in the last 4 days. 

What. 

The. 

Fuck. 

I just am having a hard time dealing. I feel so fat and disgusting. I feel like I'm doing all the right things, but getting the opposite of the results I'm looking for. I know we've talked about this, and it's probably just bloaty period water weight, but it doesn't make me feel any better, physically or emotionally. I feel disgusting and broken. And I suppose it really helps matters that I actually got my period this morning. OH MY GOSH HORMONES. 

This is also my first holiday season without my dad. Which just makes me a fucking soppy mess. They finally got his headstone put in yesterday. 

Ugh. I just sat and cried in the bathroom. I feel like I'm going to cry again. I just don't know how I'm going to make it through today without having a total binge catastrophe. I already know I have a tendency to eat my emotions (sad) and I know I have a tendency to eat when I gain (defeated/sad/fucktheworld). You add to that getting my period (evilhormonecravesandbloats) and it's Thanksgiving. Fuck me. I'm fucking screwed. 

But I don't want to be defeatist. Because even though I'm sad and really scared about how today is going to go, I don't want to fuck up. I've been doing really well. I think. I don't know. Maybe I'm not. Maybe I'm lying to myself. Shit, I'm just a mess of emotions and hormones. Terrible timing. My period has TERRIBLE timing. You know it came the day before the bar exam?! It wasn't supposed to. Oh no - it wasn't supposed to come until AFTER the bar exam, but NO - I had the heaviest period of my life while I took the bar exam. I had to sneak tampons into the testing room because you aren't allowed to bring anything in with you. Ugh. Scum bag fucking period. Scum bag fucking hormones. Scum bag fucking body. Scum bag fucking emotions. 

I hate the feels. 

And I know I'm being super irrational and ridiculous. And that makes me feel like an asshole. I just needed to rant. Writing down how I'm feeling seems to help me rationalize my choices and solidify my decisions. 

So, once more, today's plan, recapped: 

- Run (check) 

- BBWW 

- Crustless, paleo quiche at sister's, coffee 

- Walk dogs 

- Turkey, veggies, ham, wine, water, one small slice of pie (maybe) at Aunt and Uncle's 

- Wien and water at friend's 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines