SammyShark - First Challenge!

SammyShark

Holidays can be hard emotionally and every woman knows that hormones don't help the situation. Add in the physical misery of cramps and it's no wonder that today is hard. I am missing my ex boyfriend this morning. Even though it is probably a good thing that we split up. I'm not saying that I know how you feel, because I don't. Just know you're not alone in feeling less than 100% shiny and happy today.

Good luck tonight. You've got this. :-)

• Like 1

Help me make the most of freedom and of pleasure

Nothing ever lasts forever....

Holidays can be hard emotionally and every woman knows that hormones don't help the situation. Add in the physical misery of cramps and it's no wonder that today is hard. I am missing my ex boyfriend this morning. Even though it is probably a good thing that we split up. I'm not saying that I know how you feel, because I don't. Just know you're not alone in feeling less than 100% shiny and happy today.

Good luck tonight. You've got this. :-)

Thanks, girl! Hope you are feeling happier today! 

Level: 2  Race: Elan  Class: None

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Current Challenge | Challenge 1 1.5 2 | Battle Log 

Day 18 (Thanksgiving) 

Points today: 1 

Points total: 33 

Food: 

B - coffee + heavy cream 

L - crustless quiche 

D - turkey, ham, one serving green bean casserole, one serving sour kraut, green beans almondine, fresh veggies, one slice pecan pie, wine, wine, wine 

Exercise: 

Had an awesome run in the morning. Had a super lame walk in the afternoon, but at least I went outside and moved. 

Day 19 

Points today: 0.75 

Points total: 33.75 

Food: 

B - coffee, cream, bloody mary (tailgating...) 

L - turkey leg, carrots, tomatoes, pistachios

D - sweet potato, butter 

Exercise: 

None

I was SO lazy today. Stayed up way too late last night. Was kinda hungover this morning. I'm just exhausted. Tomorrow is going to be a big day for working out and probably OA as well. I've got a lot of shit I want to get done around the house too, and no reason not do it! 

WOOOOOO! I made it through Thanksgiving. Holy crap! 

Hooray for making it through Thanksgiving!! I was right there with you. I drank wine to avoid snacking on cheese and crackers. It was a very pleasant substitution! :P

Hope you get everything done today that you'd like!

Aisha
Half-Giant Warrior, Level 5

STR: 7 || DEX: 6 || STA: 8 || CON: 7.5 || WIS: 12.5 || CHA: 5

Challenges: 5 4 3 2 1

If you have come here to help me, you are wasting your time.

But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine,

then let us work together. -Lilla Watson

Wow - thanks! I know I am setting pretty (sort of) lofty goals for Turkey day, but I know if I eat white potatoes or stuffing, it's all gonna be downhilll. Knowing that you guys are rooting for me, and we're all in this together definitely gives me extra motivation!!!

Thank you! I am going a bit mad because I've put on another pound, but it's got to be water weight/period bloat. There's just no other explanation.

OA meetings are Overeaters Anonymous meetings. Very similar to AA but for compulsive overeaters. I've long suspected that I am a compulsive overeater, and when I was younger I had anorexic and bulimic tendencies (I really didn't recognize the bulimic tendencies though because I was never a stick-your-finger-down-your-throat purger... well, sometimes, but not really). Anyway - the meetings are very ritualistic. It's kind of the same thing every time, with a script and stuff, but different readings (so much like Catholic masses!) and you get to share about your feelings and stuff. I don't know if it's helping, or how much it's helping, but I know it can't hurt to have a few more people in my corner telling me that No - you don't have to eat ALL the foods!

The hardest part for me is getting out of bed before my alarm goes off! I know that some days I wake up earlier but I look at the clock and say - oh, 45 more minutes. Then it's way harder to get up when my alarm does go off. It's all in my head though! Gotta get past that! I think I will try one of those apps.

Yay! Good luck! :) Let me know how it goes!

SleepBot - got it! Trying it out starting tonight!

Maybe I should try weighing myself less frequently next challenge too. Man, it's hard. I don't usually get so crazy that I weigh myself multiple times per day, but I have a hard time not weighing myself every day. Something to think about, for sure!

Oh, well an even bigger congrats for the OA meetings attendance, that's a huge step and I'm super proud of you:)

And a MASSIVE high five for your thanksgiving, good job SammyShark! 

Way to go girl! Keep it up:)

Woot, congrats on making it through Thanksgiving! Sounds like you had a good time, too. It was a pretty good night for me; once I got around my family, what with my sister's 3 kids running around, the sadness went away and I didn't think about Whathisname once all night. 

Onwards and upwards...

Hooray for making it through Thanksgiving!! I was right there with you. I drank wine to avoid snacking on cheese and crackers. It was a very pleasant substitution! :tongue:

Hope you get everything done today that you'd like!

LOVE me some wine! :) 

Oh, well an even bigger congrats for the OA meetings attendance, that's a huge step and I'm super proud of you:)

And a MASSIVE high five for your thanksgiving, good job SammyShark! 

Way to go girl! Keep it up:)

Thanks, I'm finally starting to feel good after the meetings. They are still hard to go to. I still feel weird and scared and out of place, but now, when it's over, I feel good. Better. 

Woot, congrats on making it through Thanksgiving! Sounds like you had a good time, too. It was a pretty good night for me; once I got around my family, what with my sister's 3 kids running around, the sadness went away and I didn't think about Whathisname once all night. 

Onwards and upwards...

Good for you, girl! I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving! :) 

I could see how OA meetings could be like that at the start, but everything is a little bit scary when you first do it. I still feel very awkward and uncertain about NerdFitness! Once you get used to it, that's when you realize how awesome it is. You seemed to have already fought past the hardest part. It's so great you went again even if it was awkward and scary, especially since it's positively influencing your life! I hope you find they will continue to benefit you!

Keep up the good work SammyShark .  :panda:

Well... I didn't check in yesterday. It was a terrible day. I ate like absolute crap. It's the first day I've just totally not cared what I ate since I started the challenge. I'm proud of myself for making it for so long, but obviously disappointed that I binged. I think I just ran out of will power and didn't have a good plan for the day. 

I earned 0 points yesterday. I went to OA, which would normally give me a point, but I also didn't eat paleo, and I'd already used my one cheat day for the week, and I lose a point for that. So... 0. I didn't do anything else. I'm going to be behind on my BBWWs too now. Ugh. I need to use this as motivation to get my shit back together. 

Today I will run, do the BBWW, and an online meeting. Or maybe a phone meeting. I'm not sure. I'm going to church too, and then tonight I'm going to the Jay-Z concert. Should be fun. 

I desperately need to clean my room...

Day 21

Points today: 3.75

Points total: 37.5

Food: 

B - coffee 

L - eggs, broccoli, green beans, butter, almond slices 

D - sausage, green beans, butter, eggs, wine, vodka 

Exercise: 

Run (great), BBWW (went really well, actually), dancing at the Jay Z concert!! 

OA: 

Did an online meeting for the first time. I think I prefer face to face or phone meeting, but online is a good option too. I think these next three weeks I need to make more of an effort to go to 2 face-to-face meetings and only use phone and online as supplemental. We'll see. 

More recap tomorrow morning as we finish out week 3! 

Week 3 Round Up: Halfway!

Weight: 184

Pounds lost this week: -3.5 (i.e. I gained)

Pounds lost since Nov 11: 10

Points total: 37.5

Points per day: 1.79

General Thoughts

This week was full of ups and downs. I did really well sticking to my eating plan on Thanksgiving, which was absolutely amazing. But then I binged on Saturday. And did NOTHING else. It was awful. I also had an extremely difficult time staying motivated and seeing the point of doing all this. My weight was creeping up slowly during the beginning of the week, despite doing "all the right things." That number really does a number on me, and I just ... gave up on Saturday. I had some really great runs this week, but also skipped a BBWW. What is going on?

I do have to say that I am amazed at how far I've come. I've reduced my bingeing dramatically (a major problem for me), and I've developed and pretty much stuck to a legitimate exercise routine. That's fucking fantastic! All while making some new friends here at NF! That's awesome. I'm still so motivated by all of you and by this challenge. I'm excited to have leveled up and received some attribute points. This is just really great. Really what I needed.

Overall grade for the week: C+/B-

Everything was all over the place this week. Ugh. What a terrible way to finish up the first half. But I realize that a lot of this was planning failures on my part. If I would plan better, I would not have these major fails.

Thoughts on Food

I only ate paleo 5 days this last week. My paleo is getting a bit sloppy, too. Too much deli meat and not enough real meat. I haven't made soup in ages. I'm getting lazy. That needs to be a major focal point for me in this last half. Really keeping my diet clean. Planning ahead is the best way for me to do that. So - plan & prep will be key.

Goal 1 grade for Week 3: C

I binged on Saturday, after already having had a non-paleo day on Thanksgiving. I think my will power was depleted and I had not made a food plan for that day, and a big disgusting binge was the unfortunate result.

Thoughts on Exercise

I had some REALLY great runs this week. Truly awesome. Like, reminded me why I enjoy running, and made me feel like - hey! I can do this! But I also missed a BBWW. Ugh. Fail.

Goal 2 grade for Week 3: A

Great runs!

Goal 3 grade for Week 3: D

2/3 is not great. 66.66%... that's a D in my book.

Thoughts on OA

This week I did one real life OA meeting and one online OA meeting. I do not do a very good job of paying attention when I do the online meetings. I prefer phone meetings, if I can't make it in for a face-to-face. I don't think I'll do the online meeting again...

Life Quest grade for Week 3: B

Didn't pay attention during the online meeting, so even though I went to both meetings, I don't feel that I deserve an A.

Halfway Grades

Goal 1: C+. I've had 17 days of paleo in the last 21 days. I've earned 7.5 of a possible 9 points, or 12 with bonuses for eating extra paleo (7/7 versus 6/7). I don't feel great about my diet, and I binged on total crap food this past Saturday. This has got to improve.

Goal 2: A. I've completed 11 of my 12 scheduled runs for the first 3 weeks. That puts me in solid A territory.

Goal 3: B+. I missed one of my beginner's body weight workouts during Week 2. That puts me at 8/9 workouts.

Life Quest: A. I've been regularly attending meetings and have tried different mediums for attending meetings. I feel like this is going pretty well.

Overall grade for first half: I have 37.5 points for the first half of my challenge. An A is allegedly 72 points for the whole shebang. But I've got all those bonus points figured in for tracking and stuff... so I think a more accurate assessment is that I have 32.5 points for non-bonus type things, out of a possible 36 points (of the non-bonus sort possible), which is 90.28%. Is that an A, or a B+? I'm thinking let's go B+. I feel good about that.

Week 4 Goals

Spread out workouts more evenly throughout the week to make it seem less overwhelming.

BBWW - increase plank time, start doing real pushups. (I want to do a GoRuck light in April...)

Plan and prep food!!!!

Pay better attention during OA meetings that are not face-to-face.

Weigh myself less often - let's do 3 times per week, instead of 7 (that's a good starting point). M, W, Sa?

Nice recap! Personally, the grading systems I'm familiar with would consider anything above or equal to 90% an A (or an A-, specifically). You've been doing so great. Hard times and rough patches are to be expected with almost anything that's worth doing. Try to focus on the things that you've done well and use that success as the fuel you need to improve in other areas. You're still on track. Don't worry so much about the weight, especially since it seems to cause you so much anxiety. I think weighing yourself only three times a week, compared to doing it every day, is an excellent idea!

Aisha
Half-Giant Warrior, Level 5

STR: 7 || DEX: 6 || STA: 8 || CON: 7.5 || WIS: 12.5 || CHA: 5

Challenges: 5 4 3 2 1

If you have come here to help me, you are wasting your time.

But if you have come because your liberation is bound up with mine,

then let us work together. -Lilla Watson

Hey SammyShark : )

I'll have to get you to explain the points system to me later, I'd like to roleplay but I feel like I've got not idea where to start on the points system. Is there a blog on NF that explains it a bit more?

Sounds like you had some ups and downs through week 3, what stood out to me in your re-cap is the idea that you might be slowly loosing a little bit of motivation. At the beginning of the 6 weeks we were ALL gung-ho and excited, and most of us first timers did have a great first week, but what I've noticed coming into week 4 is that it starts to get a little "too much", I've been lying in bed when I first wake up going "do I really HAVE to work out today? Can't I stay in bed for another 30minutes?" I literally have to force myself up and get on with it. It was WAY easier in week one when all the motivation and determination was fresh.

This is the point in the challenge where it starts to become a TRUE challenge, everyone here at this point is either starting to waver, giving up completely, or powering through. We've all had set backs, but what will really define us in the end is how we get through them. Don't let it all drag you down, because you're going to have an amazing week 4, and if you keep at it that "spark" will find it's way back.

You rock SammyShark! Keep up the good work and make yourself proud this week!!!

• Like 2

900 years of time and space, and I never met anyone who wasn't important.

Level: 2 |  Race: Time Lord | Class: Adventurer
STR 3 | DEX 2 | STA 1 | CON 1 | WIS 1 | CHA 2

---

Check out my current Challenge here

See my first Challenge here

Yup, I'm right there with you on a lot of this. The honeymoon was most def over for me beginning last week. And I had a little scale jolt of my own to deal with. But here's what I see for you- you've lost 10 lbs overall which is great (I'm only down a total of 7) and you've been running, going to your meetings and generally leading a healthier lifestyle.

So, just take a leap of faith and keep doing what you're doing. That's what I'm doing because one way or another the time will go by and we will either have made positive change or we won't.

Aren't you glad you have NF?

I am!!

----

Don't Chew what you should Eschew!

Week 4 Goals

Spread out workouts more evenly throughout the week to make it seem less overwhelming.

BBWW - increase plank time, start doing real pushups. (I want to do a GoRuck light in April...)

Plan and prep food!!!!

Pay better attention during OA meetings that are not face-to-face.

Weigh myself less often - let's do 3 times per week, instead of 7 (that's a good starting point). M, W, Sa?

As women, we have these random weight fluctuations from day to day that don't really have anything to do with what we're eating (although I have heard that it's good to limit salt intake during that time of the month). So, less frequent weight checks are probably the way to go. Ah, womanhood.

37.5 pts 

Monday Day 22 

0pts

I ate absolute crap. 

I did absolutely nothing. 

Tuesday Day 23

-1 pts 

Ate like crap again! 

Did nothing again! 

I lose points for not eating paleo 6/7 days of the week. 

That puts me at 36.5 points, 1.59 points per day. Damn. 

Wednesday Day 24 

B - nothing really (wasn't hungry, after all the crap I'd eaten the last 3 days) 

L - snap peas, salami, cheese (I'm a paleo dairy eater. Deal with it.) 

D - eggs & bacon, apple, peanut butter (not paleo, no matter how you slice it) 

Points today: 1.75 [0.5 (80% paleo), 1 (run), 0.25 (posting)] 

Points total: 38.25 (1.59 average still) 

I'm back on track today. I really had a bad run there. Fell off the wagon. It's not unsalvageable though. That kind of thinking will only do me harm. Getting a good day on my belt makes me feel a lot better about the whole thing. I can do it. I can stay on the plan again. 

Nice recap! Personally, the grading systems I'm familiar with would consider anything above or equal to 90% an A (or an A-, specifically). You've been doing so great. Hard times and rough patches are to be expected with almost anything that's worth doing. Try to focus on the things that you've done well and use that success as the fuel you need to improve in other areas. You're still on track. Don't worry so much about the weight, especially since it seems to cause you so much anxiety. I think weighing yourself only three times a week, compared to doing it every day, is an excellent idea!

I tend to agree that above 90% is an A, but sometimes I feel like maybe I haven't been doing my best, which makes me feel guilty! :) 

Hey SammyShark : )

I'll have to get you to explain the points system to me later, I'd like to roleplay but I feel like I've got not idea where to start on the points system. Is there a blog on NF that explains it a bit more?

Sounds like you had some ups and downs through week 3, what stood out to me in your re-cap is the idea that you might be slowly loosing a little bit of motivation. At the beginning of the 6 weeks we were ALL gung-ho and excited, and most of us first timers did have a great first week, but what I've noticed coming into week 4 is that it starts to get a little "too much", I've been lying in bed when I first wake up going "do I really HAVE to work out today? Can't I stay in bed for another 30minutes?" I literally have to force myself up and get on with it. It was WAY easier in week one when all the motivation and determination was fresh.

This is the point in the challenge where it starts to become a TRUE challenge, everyone here at this point is either starting to waver, giving up completely, or powering through. We've all had set backs, but what will really define us in the end is how we get through them. Don't let it all drag you down, because you're going to have an amazing week 4, and if you keep at it that "spark" will find it's way back.

You rock SammyShark! Keep up the good work and make yourself proud this week!!!

Thank you SO MUCH for not giving up on me and still checking in with me. You are awesome! 

The points are explained more here: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/33334-real-life-role-playing-stat-points-and-levelling-up/

Yup, I'm right there with you on a lot of this. The honeymoon was most def over for me beginning last week. And I had a little scale jolt of my own to deal with. But here's what I see for you- you've lost 10 lbs overall which is great (I'm only down a total of 7) and you've been running, going to your meetings and generally leading a healthier lifestyle.

So, just take a leap of faith and keep doing what you're doing. That's what I'm doing because one way or another the time will go by and we will either have made positive change or we won't.

Aren't you glad you have NF?

I am!!

You're right, of course. I am SO glad to have found NF! It's such a great community. Sometimes I get so down about things and I just start to think - what is the point of doing X, when it won't impact Y at all? But the point of doing X (running and eating healthy, etc) is to be healthy and happy, not to impact or influence other things. It's to enjoy my life more. And I have to remember that. If I choose to eat like crap and live like crap, I will feel like crap. I don't want to feel like crap! 

As women, we have these random weight fluctuations from day to day that don't really have anything to do with what we're eating (although I have heard that it's good to limit salt intake during that time of the month). So, less frequent weight checks are probably the way to go. Ah, womanhood.

This is definitely going to be hard for me, but I think you're right. Gotta weigh myself less often. Probably the best thing I can do is chug water as soon as I get up. I want to weigh myself then! 

Thursday day 25

Points today 0.75

Points total 39

B- coffee and coconut oil, pistachios

L- snap peas, salami, cheese

D- pistachios, green beans, butter

No workout today. Am feeling really tired. Will have a rough next 3 days making up for it, but the weekend is always easier to work in workouts. Didn't binge. Small wins.

So tired. Going to bed.

Nice recap! Personally, the grading systems I'm familiar with would consider anything above or equal to 90% an A

I completely agree! You are definitely doing great.  Getting healthy and fit is a long process of small victories and little steps.  You're succeeding at the baby steps for sure :)

I have not posted in AGES. My bad. At first it was because I was doing really poorly, but now it's gotten to the point where I'd have to write SO much that I have not been able to find the time. This is going to be brief.

Week 4 was rough. I really fell off the wagon at the end. I'm back on track now, but ... I've suffered a big dent in my points and my training was kinda... eh. Not good! My eating is what has really set me back, more than anything, especially because if I do not eat paleo more than once per week, I actually LOSE points. Hm. I think that's good though, because I really need the incentive!

After week 4, my point total was 36.5 - eek. You can see it really didn't go so well those last few days and I lost points. Whoops.

Week 5 is going better. I'm getting back on track with eating (thank goodness) and buying some gear to make it easier/safer/warmer to run in this weather. Crazy crappy weather.

The good news is -- if I stay on track, I can still accomplish my goals for this challenge. I can still get an A. My eating grade will be a C at the best, but we all have our things we need to work on. There are only 12 days left! That's crazy. I'm glad I stuck around and I'm glad I tracked this period even though it was not great. Even though it was terrible. Awful. Horrible. Fell off the wagon hard, but that's no reason not to get back on. In fact, that's every reason TO get back on.

So, I'm renewing my motivation, dedication and accountability by committing to updating NF every day for the rest of the challenge and ensuring that I get in all my workouts, all my OA meetings, and keep eating paleo. Paleo for 12 days... I can totally do that. I've done it before and there's no reason I can't do it again.

Will post again tonight to update on points and food and junk!

Love!

[Edit: Since my goals are to workout and eat paleo, I'm also going to try to refrain from counting calories and weighing myself too much. It just upsets me and throws me off. I'm not going to weigh myself until Sunday, and then not again until the last Sunday of the challenge. I'm not going to count calories. As long as I'm eating paleo, I'm meeting my goals and I need to calm the eff down about the other stuff. Clearly, I have issues, and it's best to deal with them one at a time.]

Welcome back! It's good to see you posting again :)

Since my goals are to workout and eat paleo, I'm also going to try to refrain from counting calories and weighing myself too much. It just upsets me and throws me off. I'm not going to weigh myself until Sunday, and then not again until the last Sunday of the challenge. I'm not going to count calories. As long as I'm eating paleo, I'm meeting my goals and I need to calm the eff down about the other stuff. Clearly, I have issues, and it's best to deal with them one at a time.

I think this is a really good idea.  I had to refrain from weighing myself more than once every 2 weeks this challenge (drastic change from near-daily last challenge) which definitely helped with my motivation.  I'm noticing the small changes in my body more directly instead of letting my weight cloud what I may or may not be feeling.

Looking forward to your daily posts :)  Good luck and I'm routing for you to get that A!

• Like 1

Day 31

Points today: 3.75 

Points total: 40.75 

Food: 

B- coffee, coconut oil, heavy cream 

L- big ass soup, spinach, butter 

D- big ass soup, spinach, butter 

S- some little samples at whole foods (they just opened here!), a little red wine, a tiny piece of the darkest chocolate I've ever had! 

Exercise: 

Ran (on the snow, ugh), and BBWW. Added some weight on my squats and lunges (just 10 pounds). Feel good about it. 

Life Quest: 

Did a phone OA meeting today. I didn't go to my OA meetings last week (...). They talked about the promises, but I'm not really clear on what the promises are. I tried looking it up, but I don't think it's as clear and cut & dry as the steps or the tools. It's good to at least listen to this. It's good to know I'm not alone. I was in the chat room here earlier today and some people were talking about their own struggles with the holidays and all the food. There was a real sense of sadness in the room, but everyone came together and supported each other and it was really beautiful. It just reminded me of the same sense of camaraderie that I occasionally feel in OA meetings. So... yeah. Doing it.  

Good day. 

Day 32

Points today: 2.75 

Points total: 43.5 (1.3pts/day)

Food: 

Definitely 80% paleo, but also definitely 20% not. 

L- big ass soup, spinach, butter

S- pistachios

D- steak, veggies, 3 bites of flourless chocolate cake, some red wine (did NOT eat bread, calamari (breaded), crab cakes, mashed potatoes or flat bread - WIN!) 

Exercise: 

Ran this morning, did BBWW very late at night (boo, but got it done, so yay). 

Life quest: 

No OA today. 

Get to sleep in a bit tomorrow, so even though I'm up way later tonight than normal, I'm gonna be okay. Might try to do an online or phone OA meeting in the morning tomorrow... There's one at 8am. That could work. Don't really need to be to work before 9am. Going to stay late anyway... 

Love! 

Day 33 

Points today: 2.75

Points total: 46.25 (1.4pts/day - getting better) 

Food: 

L- big ass soup, grass fed butter, spinach

D- steak, broccoli, butter

S- a little wine, one rolo, one little "toffee" caramel thing... 

Exercise:

BBWW (at the office!) 

Life quest:

Did an OA meeting this morning. Awesome. 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines