DarthChronos stikes back!

DarthChronos

I am returning after a few months off. This is technically my fourth challenge thread, but I overextended myself during the last one, as I was preparing for a big move with an Urban Missions program, and did not really do anything for it, so I am not counting it. So this is my official third challenge and my first one out of the safety net of the Adventurers. I am definitely looking forward to rocking it with the Rangers. My second challenge, I had started to try and get an actual role-playing thing going in my thread, but that takes a lot of time and mental energy that I just don't have right now, so I am going to play this one straight. Maybe I will attempt the role-playing thing again, just not right now. If anyone desires to know the specifics behind my move, I am keeping a blog for what I am doing and it is linked in my sig. 

Here are the goals that I am giving myself this challenge:

Main Quest: Drop down to 200 lbs.

On my first challenge, I made some really great progress towards my goal weight. Since then, my progress has slowed, but it has not reversed. Last time I weighed myself, I was about 235 lbs. (down from 272 lbs.). As I was preparing for the move, my ability to work out decreased dramatically, as well as some forced diet changes, and my progress plateaued. I am now trying to get back in to it so that I can get closer to my goal weight. I do not have a scale at home right now, so I will not be able to track progress for the time being, but I am going to visit my mom for Christmas, which will be right around the end of the challenge, so I will be able to get a final weight. Hoping for a big drop. 

I will accomplish this with:

Scouting runs: (3 STA)

Run 3x a week every week of the challenge. I am planning on trying for more, but my schedule is really full right now, so my goal will be 3x.

A: 6 weeks

B: 5 weeks

C: 4 weeks

D: 2 weeks

F: 1 week or less

Pushing the Earth: (4 STR)

Work through the 100-day push up challenge. One of my housemates told me about this. Basically, you do push ups equal to the day of the challenge. The first day is just one push up, working up to 100 push ups on the 100th day. This will start off really easy, but it should be quite difficult at the end of the challenge. This is will obviously not be completed before the end of the challenge, but I will work on it everyday. I am giving myself some leeway, however, since I will be travelling for part of the challenge. I do want to be strict, as well, because I really want to work through this.

A: 40 days 

B: 38 days

C: 36 days

D: 34 days

F: 32 days or less

Do not pack the sweets: (1 WIS, 2 CON)

We have gotten lots of care packages from our families and such and they almost always carry candy. I need to stop eating candy. So, for this challenge, I am giving up the sweets. Exceptions are sweets for dessert that I am eating with my housemates or wife, or something specifically sent by mine or my wife's family. Otherwise, no sweets at all.

A: No sweets

B: 1

C: 2

D: 3 or 4

F: 5 or more

Side Quests:

Life Quest: Patience of the Hunt: (2 WIS)

I want to start incorporating yoga into my daily routine. I want to do this at least 3x a week. I have frequent back pains and, after getting in to it a little bit, it has helped with that. I want at least two days of light yoga and one day of heavier yoga, but I will be happy without.

A: 6 weeks

B: 5 weeks

C: 4 weeks

D: 2 weeks

F: 1 weeks

Fitness Quest: Stand on the Sky: (2 STA, 1 STR)

I want to work my up to my first handstand. I am going to work through the 28-day handstand challenge and, hopefully, by the end of the challenge, I will be able to do a free-standing handstand.

A: Free-standing handstand

B: 60-sec wall handstand 

C: Less than 60-sec wall handstand

D: 60-sec wall plank

F: Less than 60-sec wall plank

• Like 1

Lv. 4 Mandalorian Sith Ranger

STR: 11/DEX: 3/CON: 8/STA: 13/WIS: 12/CHA: 4.5

(I): Fire Flower, Nifty Birthday Party Hat, Raccoon Suit of Creativity

Challenge_1, 23, Current

"Without strife, your victory has no meaning. Without strife, you do not advance. Without strife, there is only stagnation."

http://newportmissions.blogspot.com/

As far as I know, you can do them throughout the day. There's no way I can do one hundred in a row. Haha.

Challenge_1, 23, Current

"Without strife, your victory has no meaning. Without strife, you do not advance. Without strife, there is only stagnation."

Got this challenge off the ground yesterday with one push up and a start to the handstand challenge. I did a 20-sec. wall plank, which was a decent start. Obviously not a difficult beginning, but this challenge is designed to get more difficult. Haha. Also, to help me make a habit of working out again.

Challenge_1, 23, Current

Hey dude! Glad to see your back in the game!

Can't wait to see the result of your handstand goal, I bet it's going to be epic!

Third day in and I am off to a decent start. I have not gone running yet, but I have done both my push-ups and my handstand workout. I did 2 push-ups and a 30-second wall plank last night. Then this morning, before I went to work, I did 3 push-ups and 32-second wall plank.

Ideally, I am hoping to get in the habit of doing my push-ups and wall planks when I leave the house for work in the morning. The porch on our duplex is the perfect place to do both. If I forget, though, I will still be able to do them in the evening. As I get further along in this challenge, though, I will probably need to do them in the mornings and in the evenings, so I need to get in to the habit of doing them before I leave. 

I am planning on running after I get home tonight. Even though I have not run this week, I am not super worried about not being able to complete my challenge. Fridays are my days off, and then that leaves me Saturday and Sunday as well. That is why I set my challenge up the way I did. With how busy my schedule is, I will not be able to run consistently over the course of the week, but I should be able to do it on the weekends. Hopefully, I will make some good progress on my running in this challenge.

My other quests aren't going great so far. I have not done any yoga so far. I have to talk to my wife about getting back into it again, because she knows how and I don't. Haha. Hopefully I can start that back up as it really helped my back. I also had way too much dessert yesterday. I am going to have to really work on limiting myself. I had a piece of cake outside of a meal, so there's a B for me on that challenge. I am also allowing myself to eat too much for meals. There is frequently dessert both at home and at work and I have got to stop letting myself have some in both places. One per day, tops.

I still have some work to do, but I am not too disappointed with how I am starting yet. I am looking forward to making some good progress to getting my stuff back in order. I would love to be down to 220 before I go home for Christmas. We will see, though. 

Welcome back, and good luck.  I have heard of a burpee challenge that is basically the same as the push up challenge you are doing.  Can you do the push ups though out the day, or does it have to be all in a row?

I thought about doing burpees, but I am not that hardcore yet. Sticking with push ups for now.

Hey dude! Glad to see your back in the game!

Can't wait to see the result of your handstand goal, I bet it's going to be epic!

Thanks. I hope so. I am really hoping to have my end-of-challenge picture be that of me doing a handstand. Haha. We shall see.

Challenge_1, 23, Current

You'll get there dude, and you'll look awesome when you do!

Have you looked on YouTube for some yoga vids? I use Genghis girl yoga but I found this guy on YouTube who makes it funny and manly. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBeLH27cAmA&feature=player_detailpage

Still building up a good morning routine. I stop on the porch on my way to the train in the morning and do my push-ups (decline push-ups) and then my wall planks. I am up to 40 seconds. I should soon hit the 60-second plank mark and, hopefully, upgrade to wall handstands shortly after that. Definitely need to go running this weekend and do my yoga, as well. I almost had another slip up with the sweets yesterday, but I managed not to. I had a granola bar, instead. Probably won't be able to update on the weekends, but I will certainly update again on Monday.

You'll get there dude, and you'll look awesome when you do!

Have you looked on YouTube for some yoga vids? I use Genghis girl yoga but I found this guy on YouTube who makes it funny and manly. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBeLH27cAmA&feature=player_detailpage

Thanks, I will look into that. I do not have internet at home, however, so I don't now how much I will be able to use that, but I will look into it and see. My wife will probably be my primary resource because she loves doing it and will be able to help me. 

• Like 1

Challenge_1, 23, Current

Didn't get my yoga in last week, so there is down one grade, but I will definitely work on it this week. I ran on Friday, but didn't get my Saturday and Sunday runs in. However, that was due to excessive walking. Saturday, I walked all over downtown for several hours and Sunday, my wife and I went on a walk together, which ended being at least an hour-and-a-half, and I was too exhausted to run, therefore, I am counting it.

Did not have any other diet mishaps. I also forgot to do my push ups yesterday, so I did them this morning and I will do todays later tonight. I have been doing my wall planks to work towards a handstand. I got up to 45 seconds. Improvement with every day. This week I think I will try working on bailing out. Hopefully, I will soon be doing a wall handstand. Pretty excited for this. 

Good progress so far. Improvement needed, though.

• Like 1

Challenge_1, 23, Current

I would count it to, that's a lot of steps man!

Maybe you can start the morning with a short morning yoga routine. That way even if you don't get any full yoga routines you won't have to decrease a score.

What's your biggest issue so far with the wall handstand? Maybe I can help you out.

I would count it to, that's a lot of steps man!

Maybe you can start the morning with a short morning yoga routine. That way even if you don't get any full yoga routines you won't have to decrease a score.

What's your biggest issue so far with the wall handstand? Maybe I can help you out.

My mornings are actually pretty packed, so I don't really have time to add yoga in to it. That's why I want to do them in the evenings. I just need to actually do them.

Also, I do not necessarily have a problem with the wall handstand yet. I am doing the 28-day challenge that Steve posted about a couple weeks ago and the first step was to work on wall planks, to start working your shoulders, and the work on the bailouts, which is what I will hopefully be moving into, and then doing the wall handstands to get used to being upside-down. I am just working my way up to it using the recommended method.

• Like 1

Challenge_1, 23, Current

Works been busy, so I haven't posted in about a week, but things are going well.

I have missed a day on my pushups, but I am up to 15 today. They are starting to get challenging. It will be interesting to see how things go towards the end of this challenge. A little nervous, but I'm sure I will be fine. My shoulders don't hurt yet.

My wall planks have turned into wall handstands. I am up to 30 seconds in handstand position. My hands are a couple feet away from the wall, so I need to work on getting my hands within 12 inches of the wall, as per the challenge, but I am making good progress. I will be able to do a 60-second wall handstand for sure, by the end of the challenge. I just hope that I will be able to get off the wall, as well.

I have been doing better on the sweets. I am still fighting off having multiple sweets after a meal, but it is getting better. My runs are going alright. I really want to start running more, but we shall see if I can manage. I have also started in on my yoga, so that should be good. I like doing it and it really helps my back. I have a bad back from moving packages at FedEx for six years and the yoga has really helped strengthen it and make it not hurt so much.

This challenge could be better, but I am off to a pretty good start. I am really excited to see where I will be at the end of the challenge. I got a new pair of jeans recently that are a bit of a tighter cut than I normally wear (I normally prefer baggy, straight-cut or carpenter jeans), but they fit really nice and I like them a lot. My wife told me the other day that, since I got more fitted jeans, she can really tell a difference with how much weight I lost, even within the last two months. That was really encouraging to hear. 

The end of this challenge is the day after I will be home for Christmas, so I am really hoping for a reaction from my family. My mom had made comments about my weight loss before I left, but my siblings have not really seen me recently, especially my Marine brother who has not seen me once since before I even started losing weight, so I am hoping for some encouraging comments when I go see my family for Christmas. I am feeling very good about myself right now. Haha.

• Like 1

Challenge_1, 23, Current

Now when you say, "...a bit tighter than I normally wear...." your not referring to skinny jeans are you? But that's great your hard work is paying off! Just keep it up and you'll be wowing all your family members for Christmas, cause you look so Badass!

No, definitely not skinny jeans. I will never wear skinny jeans. Haha. I am not wearing them right now, so I don't know what the actual cut is (I almost always get carpenter, so I am not really familiar with all the other cuts of jeans), they just aren't straight-legged. They are just a bit more fitted than what I would normally wear. Not so much that they would be called skinny jeans, but enough that it's easier to see that I have lost weight.

Challenge_1, 23, Current

Another good update to do. I would like to get out running more, but it is really difficult to fit into my everyday life right now. I am keeping up on my workouts, though, and it feels good. Over the weekend, I got my running workouts in. I did hill sprints, as part of the Ranger mini-challenge, and they went surprisingly well. I was pretty pleased. I have been doing yoga more with my wife. I would like to do that even more, though, because it really helps my back feel good. I have a pretty good routine I can do on my own now, in case my wife is unavailable to do it on a certain day.

I have also been doing push ups and handstand practice every day. I did not do them this morning, as something came up, but I will catch up. I have only missed one day so far. I am up to 22 pushups and a 25-second wall-assisted handstand. I am at least going to get my 60-second wall handstand, so that is nice. Hopefully I will be able to one unassisted as well. Still working on it. And I am also doing better with the sweets. I hate having sweets in the house, as my self-control with tasty things is very small, but, when you live with a bunch of other people, you don't really get a choice. I am just trying to work on improving my self-control. Haha. Overall, I am quite pleased with how I am fitting my challenge workouts into my life. Also, there is a problem of tire dumping in our neighborhood and I think I saw a large one the other day. I might go retrieve it so that I have a tire to toss around. We'll see, though. I definitely want to find more ways that I can add workouts into my life. Hopefully after Christmas my schedule will free up a little.

• Like 2

Challenge_1, 23, Current

Lucky! Let me know how the tire tossing goes, I've been wanting to do that for a while now.

If the blood rushing to your head is one of the issues preventing you from hitting that 60-sec mark. I recommend hanging off the couch upside down while watching tv.

How does one gain self-control? I have to research that now because is it habit? Mental strength? Will power?

That is good advice. Thanks. It's not as much the blood, though, as the shoulders. Still working on strengthening them. It probably doesn't help that I practice that right after doing my push ups, but it is the best time for it. And I am up to the 30 second mark, so I am getting there.

I am choosing to believe that I can gain some self-control through will-power. I have no basis for this theory, but that's okay, right?

• Like 1

Challenge_1, 23, Current

Doing pretty well, so far. I have been busy, busy, busy. It's good, but it does not leave a lot of time for workouts. I have been doing my push ups and handstands, those are easy, but I have not been doing great on keeping up with my runs and yoga. I am getting them in, just not as often as I would like. I am going to keep working on it, though. I am going home for Christmas at the end of next week. I am a little worried about how my workouts are going to go. It has been pretty nice in Atlanta so far, with 70 degree weather last week, but it has been snowing in Ohio. I probably will not be running while I am in Ohio, but I think I will try and get some body weight workouts going. I'll figure something out.

• Like 1

Challenge_1, 23, Current

Have fun with your family! And keep at the workouts dude, impress everyone with how awesome you are!

Well, I realize that this is a little late, but I have been super busy and have not had the time to polish off my updates. Things went pretty well, overall.

Scouting runs: B (2.5 STA)

I did not do as well as I was hoping for these, especially since I wanted to step it up, but I had some good runs in there. Overall, not bad.

Pushing the Earth: B (3 STR)

I kind of gave up on counting them, as I frequently forgot what day I was on, and, instead, gave precedence to just remembering to do as many as I could. Some of the days I just plain forgot, but I got most of them. 

Do not pack the sweets: B (1 WIS, 1 CON)

It was difficult to keep on track with this, because people kept sending us sweets, but I did alright.

Side Quests:

Life Quest: Patience of the Hunt: C (1 WIS)

Could have done a lot better with this, but I am working on it when I can. It has helped a lot with my back pain, so I definitely plan to keep it up.

Fitness Quest: Stand on the Sky: B (1.5 STA, 1 STR)

I did practice a lot, but I did not get to a freestanding hand stand. It was probably a lofty goal to begin with, but I did get some good shoulder workouts this time around. I want to continue working on some of them.

Wild - Sorry that I didn't catch up on yours. I was super busy. I will read it when I get the chance, though, and catch up with your stuff later.

Since I am only a week late with this next challenge, I suppose I probably will still sign up. I really want to do the Jedi workout, but I don't know that I would be able to do all of them. I may give it a go, anyway.

Challenge_1, 23, Current

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines