I am in Nebraska, so CST, which I believe in GMT+6, but ... I could definitely be wrong! 

I am feeling very similar to Zabella as far as starting running again, and oh crap, that's tomorrow. 

I want to work on viewing my workouts the same way I did when I was in college. I was on the swim team then, and so I had no choice about workouts. It was like my job. I got up, and I went, and I couldn't skip. There was no bargaining, no choice, no decisions to make. That's what needs to happen again. Make a plan, and then have no decisions to make because you just have to follow the plan. 

Anyway, reading what you guys have to say is making me more excited and a little less scared. I'm also stoked just to make it to 3 weeks so I can level up and get some attribute points to spread around! :) 

I also use Skype, although not a ton, but I can get better about signing in and being available. I gotta figure out if I can be on my personal Skype at work, or if I'll have to sign in with my work email there.... More on this tomorrow! I'm gonna go tweak my plan! 

Level: 2  Race: Elan  Class: None

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Current Challenge | Challenge 1 1.5 2 | Battle Log 

How's everyone's Day 1 going? I had a little hiccup this morning when I was trying to go for my morning run - my dog escaped from the back yard! I spent a little time running after her but then had to jump in the car and go searching, as I lost her. I'm NOT letting this prevent me from having a great first day though. I will just have to run this evening. Life throws wrenches in your plans sometimes, and you just gotta adapt.

Hope you all are having a GREAT first day of the challenge!

I hope you got your dog back!

My official day 1 so far... I just got home from work and later I'll go bowling with some colleagues. It's 8 km and i will go by bike, so that's 16 km and some cardio for today :)

For dinner we'll have Leberkäse (translation by dict.cc is meatloaf, but I dont think it's the same) with spinach and fried eggs.

I'm also hoping you found your dog, Sammy. And that everyone has had a great start to their challenge!

Day 1, official report.

First training run- check

Yoga stretches- check

Daily salad- check

Notes

1. My knee coped with the run with only slight twinges- must freeze more leftovers to use as ice packs (yep, I defrosted my dinner on my knee)

2. Stop buying avocados- tropical fruit and English weather don't mix well (just like an unripe avocado, really)

Happy Monday folks, may your avocados always ripen :)

Challenge #1

We all have a better guide in ourselves, if we would attend to it, than any other person can be.
-Jane Austen (Mansfield Park)

2. Stop buying avocados- tropical fruit and English weather don't mix well (just like an unripe avocado, really)

In Germany you can buy both, ripe and unripe avocados. 

Unripe ones should get ripe within a week and are green when you buy them, they turn black/brown and soft.

When you buy them ripe they are ugly, I believe that's why most buy them unripe.

This is how the look ripe:

DSCN0605+%28800x600%29.jpg

I'm glad to hear it Sammy!

Your avocados make me happy and sad in equal measures, Bear! I think my fella needed another week on the windowsill to look that good- I keep forgetting I'm not in Sydney where you practically have to eat them on the way home. It's just one of those things you can't assume when you move country :)

Challenge #1

We all have a better guide in ourselves, if we would attend to it, than any other person can be.

True. exotic fruits in middle and northern europe are difficult. Either they are not ripe or they are ripe and good but horrifying expensive (air-frighted-fruit).

But avocado is pretty easy, because it will get ripe without tree, you just have to wait for a while :).

Phew I just had an exhausting bike ride home. It was 8 km to the bowling center, which were super easy, because I had strong tailwinds. But the 8 km home we're sooo hard because of constant headwinds... but that's the gambling living near a coast :D

Anyways I'm off to bed, cya guys tomorrow :)

Hey guys, sounds like the first day was a success!  So that's 1 down... 41 to go...!

I actually had a 2 lbs loss last week on my 'practise' week, but after the plateau of the two weeks before, I really needed it!!  But, I already feel bigger again, if that's possible?! So i'll be tracking like a mofo to make sure I don't break calorie goals :-/ 

Hey mercinaries! How did everyone's day 2 go? 

Mine was pretty good. It was kind of rest day as far as workouts go, but I did some light ellipticalling to keep up my momentum and stuck to the paleo diet (about 90% and 80/20 is my goal - totally haven't kicked my diet soda habit yet). 

What did you all do today? 

So um I have a confession to make.... i ran...... not far and not fast...... but further and faster than normal.........it was just to warm up for my strength training......so here is the confession.... I enjoyed it!?!?!?! WHAT???? I know. i mean while running it only sort of sucked but after i did my strength....... I ran again.... this time just because i WANTED to! I know that we all just met and that is a lot to throw out there all at once but I just had to tell some one. I am afraid I have a problem. the good news is i am sure by tomorrow I will be over this lustful fling with running. Keep strong all!

There are 2 kinds of people in this world

1. Those that make excuses

2. Those that make it HAPPEN

Who are you?

Nived, Running is a tempting mistress. Sometimes you want nothing to do with her, but other times that siren call is too exhilarating to pass up. Oh the runner's high! Also, awesome idea posting before pics! It'll be a great way to see how much you progress :)

Haha, it's day two Sammy, I don't think anyone would judge you for not having kicked the soda habit yet ;)  But your drive is inspiring!

Day two is wrapping up here for me. It's been pretty good so far. No workout, but tons of stretching, walking, and did pretty well maintaining strict paleo today. Even turned down treats from a coworker. Something that has never been easy for me.

Good night Mercs! See you on Day 3.

Level 0 - Kitty Hybrid - Assassin-in-training

Battle Log - Current Challenge

Nived - that's fantastic! I have a love-hate relationship with running. As in, I only love it when I'm in really good shape and it doesn't feel quite so bad, and even then I sometimes I hate it... But good for you! Maybe this challenge will not be as painful as we all may have thought! :)

Hey guys!  Sounds like everyone is doing really well... it's been a good start for our little squad! :)

Nived, so glad you enjoyed running!  Do you think maybe it's because you've got a plan, and feel motivated and have laid out all of your goals, rather than just going for a run because you think you have to?  I must admit I wish I could get some of your oomph for it... feel like it's too cold to run and I hate running in the cold!  Well done!!

Sammy, how much soda do you drink?  Is it more than one can/glass per day?  If so, why don't you just spend the first week or two replacing just ONE of your 'servings' with a fruit squash or water?  Doing it gradually might really help.

Tasimmet, sounds like you're on a roll... I too find it hard to turn down treats, so well done you - JUST SAY NO!

Sammy, how much soda do you drink?  Is it more than one can/glass per day?  If so, why don't you just spend the first week or two replacing just ONE of your 'servings' with a fruit squash or water?  Doing it gradually might really help.

I sometimes go days without drinking any soda, and other days I will buy a whole 32oz fountain soda at the gas station to "tide me over." I eventually will cut out soda from my diet, but I'm not there yet. I want to focus on just a few changes for now, and for me, laying off the carbs will be a big one. I know I would be a lot better off if I could go totally paleo, but drastic changes in my diet have not worked well for me in the past. I will just have to flag this note for myself to read again later! ;)

Nearly forgot- I did my yoga session yesterday, which is the first time I've ever done it on my own. It always seems easier somehow to go to class and be told the next move, but I guess it's time I actually learnt this stuff for myself (otherwise I'll just be doing the same yoga sequence for the next 30 years!). My knee is fairly unhappy at the moment, so I'm having a rest day today before I run again tomorrow. Overall I'm following the plan, but I'm a little worried my knee just isn't keeping up, so I'll keep an eye on it and try not to push it too hard.

Challenge #1

Nearly forgot- I did my yoga session yesterday, which is the first time I've ever done it on my own. It always seems easier somehow to go to class and be told the next move, but I guess it's time I actually learnt this stuff for myself (otherwise I'll just be doing the same yoga sequence for the next 30 years!). My knee is fairly unhappy at the moment, so I'm having a rest day today before I run again tomorrow. Overall I'm following the plan, but I'm a little worried my knee just isn't keeping up, so I'll keep an eye on it and try not to push it too hard.

I don't think there's anything wrong with having to make some adjustments, especially if it's for your health. I'm thinking I'm going to have to adjust my running plan a bit. I was probably overly ambitious when I made it, and overly confident that I could just get back into shape really quickly. We have to take care of our bodies so we can keep using them.

But mad props to your for doing your yoga solo.  :applouse:  The closest I've gotten to that is doing videos at home.

Thanks Sammy! It helps that my last yoga instructor was big on this sequence, so it's more like refreshing the memory (with cheat sheets on the floor in front of me. Note to self: write it out in bigger letters so I don't have to keep bending down to squint at it).

3km run tomorrow. My knee is well rested, I'm prepared to walk part of it if I need to, and I've even dug out my daggy looking elasticated knee brace thingy- I'm so trendy it hurts :) You're right though, it's no bad thing to adjust the plan if need be- far better to do that than have an injury and end up back at square one.

Good work getting your run in, even though it was late. It's my favourite time of day to be out and about, when it's not too cold, but it can be an effort. Way to go sticking to the plan!

How is everyone else going?

Challenge #1

Hey everyone,

I'm sorry I haven't been around the last few days, I had some things to do and when I finally was home I wasn't motivated enough to sit in front of the computer.

I finished a job application for another apprenticeship, I hope I'll get a positive feedback, because I would earn much more and even have more free time.

I haven't been to the gym this week so far and just had 1 cardio exercise, but gladly I sticked to my diet :)

Anyways I'll be around more often now and be more active. The Challenge is my #1 priority again :P

Hey guys!  Hope everyone's had a good first few days :)

Sorry I've been MIA around here this week - finishing up my last week of grad school for the semester so needless to say it's been a little chaotic around here!  I'm doing pretty well so far, though.  As of Tuesday morning, I was down another 2 pounds (sorry to my Metric-lovin' friends, I have no clue how many kg that is lol).  I've been doing my Beginner's Body Weights and StrongLifts this week, and I can definitely tell I'm gettin stronger because my pushups are geting slightly better!

Fitting veggies in for lunch and dinner is easy, but I'm such a "breakfast food is what's for breakfast and nothing else" kind of girl, which has made mixing veggies in at breakfast a little tougher.  I'll throw peppers and onions in my eggs, but beyond that I'm struggling.  Any good recipes out there for breakfast veggie items (I hate avocados, sorry guys!).

You guys all seem to be rockin' it so much this week, and I LOVE it!!  Team Avalanche is pretty much the bee's knees, in case you didn't know :)

"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off the goal." -Henry Ford

Challenge 1

Sounds like everybody is working hard to get a better version of themselves :)

I'm such a breakfast person, I simply can't spare a good breakfast! Espacially on weekends I need my bread or buns :D

But lunch and dinner is fairly easy for me to eat with minimum carbs.

I felt a little guilty, because I haven't been to the gym this week, so I just did a Beginner's Body Weight workout. It went pretty well, except for those launges... holy s***, I hate launges haha I think I'll check if I'm doing them right and if yes will definetly train them more :)

I wish all of you a good night/day, cya tomorrow!

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines