Excellent! I'd better introduce myself then.

I am 28 and from the UK. I have a current challenge that is focussed around food and my long term goal is to lose weight primarily but also to increase my level of fitness to somewhere around superhero level. I look forward to getting to know everyone and hope you're all kicking ass with your challenges. 

Welcome to the group! I was just reading your challenge and it looks like you're doing great!

I feel you on the all or nothing thing. It's hard for me to focus on just the few goals I have for this challenge and not start saying, "Well, you should also be giving up X and Y. And really you should just eat paleo 100% of the time. And a few extra workouts wouldn't hurt." And it goes on and on! But I'm with you on this. I, too, am much to "all or nothing" and that has clearly not served me well in the past. I frequently start and maybe maintain for a week, two tops, and then everything falls apart again. I think what we're doing right now is more manageable. That being said, I think my healthy habits that I'm adopting during this challenge are making me actually want to change some of my other habits, and I occasionally go above and beyond, nothing wrong with that. I just give myself a little gold star and keep going! :)

Level: 2  Race: Elan  Class: None

STR 2 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 2 | WIS 2 | CHA 2

Current Challenge | Challenge 1 1.5 2 | Battle Log 

Hi Sammy, thanks for the welcome!

I checked out your challenge too and I know what you are saying when you speak about not being comfortable in your own skin. I also took a look at your battle log and that big ass soups sounds gooooooooood!! I am having a salad every day for lunch but it is getting seriously tired by now so I might try your soup.

I can't wait to make my next challenge a fitness one but still carry on with the good eating habits I am sorting out this time. Maybe then I will finally crack this whole thing - I feel like I've been trying to figure it the hell out for 2 years now but maybe it was a case of too much, too soon

I hope you enjoyed your party!

• Like 1

If it's not siesta or fiesta, I'm not interested. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Hey guys, and welcome to the squad Deftona :)

This is me, checking in for the first time this week. Oops. I have to admit I have almost completely dropped the ball and done nothing much this week. Well, nothing much NF related to be specific. So I think you guys probably know that I'm moving this week, but what you don't know, and what has been really hard for me to say, is that I'm heading back to Australia a bit early instead of to Southampton- my aunt has passed away, and I've changed my ticket so I can be at her funeral. So while I have somehow made it to Thursday without running, stretching or doing any yoga, I have managed to eat a couple of salads and three fruits and lurk on NF once or twice. What I have been doing this week includes:

-boxing up my bike and organising shipping to Southampton

-long phone conversations with the very supportive Mr Z., who I haven't seen in a month but is meeting me at Heathrow tomorrow to see me off (and pick up my excess luggage)

-cleaning the (entire) house before the owner returns

-attending a surprise farewell party (my first ever surprise party!)

-researching ticket changes and prices, and spending a total of 2 hours on the phone to various people checking availability, prices, failing to speak to anyone because skype woudn't recognise that I was pressing 1 for international flights, paying for new tickets and cancelling old tickets (this last only being accomplished after a total of 5 separate phonecalls!)

-throwing a perfectly good quiche on the floor. Actually, now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure it jumped...

On the plus side:

-I found a flash sale on flights, so even after all the change and cancellation fees I got about 20 pounds back!!!! (that NEVER happens to me)

-I made two quiches

So as you can see, this week has been crazy and an absolute write off and I hate that I have to admit that to you guys (yep, that's what accountabilibuddies are for!). I'll be out of touch from now until next week, at which time I'll haul myself back onto the wagon- feel free to remind me of that :)

Thankyou all for being so awesome- it's really inspiring watching you all take on your challenges even when it gets tough.

Z.

Challenge #1

We all have a better guide in ourselves, if we would attend to it, than any other person can be.
-Jane Austen (Mansfield Park)

We I am in the same boat. this week has not been good. I really have no reason. I went on a little mini vacation with friends this weekend and ate TERRIBLE!! it is so hard to get back to eating right once you get off track. On a good note I did run yesterday. 18 minutes at 4 mph. I know that is not long or fast but for me its great. This next week is going to be a tough too! it is thanksgiving. I go to iowa for the week and we eat a lot! the good news is we are very active too. we have a lot of great family traditions that we do every year. from rock climbing to biking we have a great week! every body keep it up! I am glad to have you all so that I have a little extra feel bad when I dont do what I am supposed to. 

There are 2 kinds of people in this world

1. Those that make excuses

2. Those that make it HAPPEN

Who are you?

@Zabella - I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope all your travels go smoothly. I know how hard it is to keep things together when someone close to you passes, but you can do it!

I haven't really checked in much lately either. I was pretty much totally MIA the last two days. I was just so - blah! I guess I was sort of having a bad week too, but like Nived, I felt like I didn't really have a good reason. Wednesday, I ended up missing my scheduled run. I did it last night instead, which I think is okay. I think. I even managed to stay on track with food, despite being seriously tempted to go through the drive through on Wednesday night on my way home. I ended up going home and walking straight into the kitchen in search of bread - which was not really any better. Thankfully, we have NO bread in the house! So I just went to bed. Good choice.

Anyway, it seems like we've all be kind of struggling these last few days, for whatever reason. Is there something we can do to help motivate each other more? If we lived near each other, I'd say we should all put $2 in a pot, and whoever does the best this next week wins a little gift card, but I'm not sure how feasible that would be over the interwebs...

I still think of all of you, and everyone on NF, when I'm struggling with whether or not to do a workout or eat healthy. So you guys are definitely still motivating me! It's like we've lost that fervor of the first few days though. Maybe that is normal. Maybe this is the truly hard part, just staying on it for weeks 3-6.

So sorry to hear about your aunt Zabella. Hopefully the move and everything goes smoothly for you. That's a lot to have on your plate right now!

Looks like we've all been under stress lately. Go figure that things would hit all around a week into the challenge! But, C'est la vie. I suppose that just makes having this team that much more valuable. We can hopefully encourage and inspire each other even when things get tough, whether it's challenge related or not.

You guys are awesome, and the fact that we're still here despite the chaos is a good sign. Come on AVALANCHE, let's destroy this challenge :D

(We need a uniform, so we can all pose like the badass mercenaries we are!)

Level 0 - Kitty Hybrid - Assassin-in-training

Battle Log - Current Challenge

Hey Team,

So sorry for your loss Zabella. Good luck on the move and everything involved!

Also welcome to the team deftona, nice to have you here :).

So it seems everyone is struggling, I believe struggling must be part of a challenge, else it wouldn't be called a challenge. After the busy last weekend, I didn't recover as good as I hoped for. I was so tired and exhausted the last few days, in that stage I come up with excuses soo fast... gladly I'm still sticking to my diet for the most part, except for a lasagna yesterday, because I was to lazy to cook something. But my diet is not as strict as most of yours, it's like 70% paleo.

I wasn't to the gym for a while so, planning on going sunday and doing BWW today.

You guys are awesome and I hope everyone of us is beating the struggle and will continue on the road to a better self!

Hey Team,

So sorry for your loss Zabella. Good luck on the move and everything involved!

Also welcome to the team deftona, nice to have you here :).

So it seems everyone is struggling, I believe struggling must be part of a challenge, else it wouldn't be called a challenge. After the busy last weekend, I didn't recover as good as I hoped for. I was so tired and exhausted the last few days, in that stage I come up with excuses soo fast... gladly I'm still sticking to my diet for the most part, except for a lasagna yesterday, because I was to lazy to cook something. But my diet is not as strict as most of yours, it's like 70% paleo.

I wasn't to the gym for a while so, planning on going sunday and doing BWW today.

You guys are awesome and I hope everyone of us is beating the struggle and will continue on the road to a better self!

These things need repeating! 

• Like 1

Sammy love your enthusiasm! Haha!  Sorry for your loss Zabella :(

Guys I have to confess I have totally fallen of the wagon.  My weigh in on friday ended up showing a 2lb gain so literally half off what I lost over the last 6 weeks is back on, and I'm really feeling it :(

To top it off I have had at least 2 nights out or gatherings to go to every week so my 80% Paleo is out the window too.

GAAAAH, I'm so annoyed at my weakness, but I couldn't bare a meal out where I didn't eat and drink what I wanted! 

I've let the team down for sure - I have failed the challenge!!! :'(

I hope you're all ok and had wonderful weekends.  Also glad to hear your enthusiasm and progress! xxx

Hey guys,

Thanks for all your kind thoughts. I made it back for the funeral which was yesterday, although it was touch and go in Singapore. That's a whole other saga- let's just say I was that crazy person running the length of the airport clutching lots of luggage (I would also like to say that this sort of situation is unusual for me. But I can't *sigh*). It wasn't an unexpected death, but very sad all the same (have those mammograms, ladies) and I'm really grateful I was able to come back for the funeral.

I've just arrived back at my mum's house and I'm at a bit of a loss what to do next? Then it occurs to me... I should do one of those runs I missed last week! That will be an after dark event though, cos I'm in Sydney, and you know, sunburn. I'm sorry to hear of everyone else's struggles last week. I have to be honest- there were a couple of days where I remembered in plenty of time that I hadn't run or done any yoga, and I made a conscious decision that I wasn't going to because I had other stuff to do. I'm going to have to grade myself with a Mrs Tweedy look for the whole week for using last minute travel arrangements as an excuse. You're right though, it wouldn't be a challenge if it was easy. You're all going to get back on the wagon with me, right?! Cos you know, YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME :)

Challenge #1

We all have a better guide in ourselves, if we would attend to it, than any other person can be.
-Jane Austen (Mansfield Park)

I'm sorry to hear about your aunt, Zabella but it's good you made it back for the funeral. How are you now? Well done for picking it back up with your runs, sometimes nothing sorts your head out like a run. 

Guys I have to confess I have totally fallen of the wagon.  My weigh in on friday ended up showing a 2lb gain so literally half off what I lost over the last 6 weeks is back on, and I'm really feeling it :(

To top it off I have had at least 2 nights out or gatherings to go to every week so my 80% Paleo is out the window too.

GAAAAH, I'm so annoyed at my weakness, but I couldn't bare a meal out where I didn't eat and drink what I wanted! 

I've let the team down for sure - I have failed the challenge!!! :'(

I hope you're all ok and had wonderful weekends.  Also glad to hear your enthusiasm and progress! xxx

Oh no, English Muffin. It's a shame you didn't do as well as you'd hoped but do you *have* to have failed the whole challenge? Can you allow yourself a slip up and give yourself a chance to get back on it or does this not have a workaround in your rules? 

I hope week three has started well for everyone. 

Hey Deftona, thanks for your thoughts!  I think the problem is that my goals were simple but very specific.  So far i've not managed to complete them all successfully, plus my main quest was to lose 7lb in 6 weeks... well after my weekend slip up I have actually gained 2 lbs!!!  So i'm not likely to lose all of that in the next 3 weeks :(

I'll still get back on track - I'm not going to give up on an entire new lifestyle because of this, but it's a shame to know that all my initial enthusiasm and willpower weren't effective.

I have decided I'm definitely going to join the gym though - I need the classes and pool to up my exercise I think!

Hope you're all having a good week!

xx

Hey guys. I'm having really mixed feelings as we're getting into this third week. I had a GREAT run yesterday. Best run since I've started the challenge, seriously. But I also have been steadily gaining weight over the last few days, which is the most frustrating thing EVER. I can't figure out what is going on. I've been eating really well, not eating too much, or too little, still working out. What the heck? A plateau, I could understand, but stead gains? No. So it's got to be that I'm retaining water and getting all bloaty because I'm about to get my period. It's hard for me to hold on to that hope and not just say "eff it all" and binge. Really hard. But... bingeing isn't going to make me lose weight. Sitting on the couch isn't going to get me fit. So I'll just keep going I guess, and hope for the best.

English Muffin - It's unlikely the 2 lbs weight gain is all actual weight gain - mathematically you would have to have eaten 7000 *extra* calories to gain 2 lbs so all is not lost! It's more likely to be temporary weight gain caused by maybe eating a little too much salt or alcohol which causes water retention. I have gained a little also this past week after one particularly heavy day but I am sure it will even out over the next week or two so don't despair! You might still be on for your 7 lbs in 6 weeks goal, if it hurries up and evens out and I'll be cheering for you all the way.

The same to you, Sammy - periods are terrible when you're trying to lose weight - they make you feel awful *and* fat *and* make you want to reach for the unhealthy foods. My third week isn't going anywhere near as successfully as weeks one and two so I share in your frustrations. Maybe my initial enthusiasm is waning but you're right, we must keep on keeping on because what other option do we have if we want to reach our goals. 

And yay for XP points at the end of the week, huh?!

English Muffin - It's unlikely the 2 lbs weight gain is all actual weight gain - mathematically you would have to have eaten 7000 *extra* calories to gain 2 lbs so all is not lost! It's more likely to be temporary weight gain caused by maybe eating a little too much salt or alcohol which causes water retention. I have gained a little also this past week after one particularly heavy day but I am sure it will even out over the next week or two so don't despair! You might still be on for your 7 lbs in 6 weeks goal, if it hurries up and evens out and I'll be cheering for you all the way.

The same to you, Sammy - periods are terrible when you're trying to lose weight - they make you feel awful *and* fat *and* make you want to reach for the unhealthy foods. My third week isn't going anywhere near as successfully as weeks one and two so I share in your frustrations. Maybe my initial enthusiasm is waning but you're right, we must keep on keeping on because what other option do we have if we want to reach our goals. 

And yay for XP points at the end of the week, huh?!

YESSSS!!!!

• Like 1

Hey guys!

Wow it#s been quiet around here!  How's everyone doing?

I'm afraid i've been a bit of a hermit in all walks of life recently, bar a few casual meet ups with friends, as I'm working on my final coursework for Uni! Dun dun duuuuun!  2 hand ins and a presentation next week, and then a hand in plus my 8000 word dissertation on 6th January :-/ So scared!

Needless to say my diet and exercise still hasn't recovered given all this time I've been spending stuck in front of the computer and in the library!

Oh well I know I will get there eventually I think I just picked the wrong time to start a massive overhaul of my diet and lifestyle.  Still eat better than I used to though so that's good :)

And how are everyone else's challenges coming along??

xxxxxx

Hey guys! Hope everyone is well! 

I had a rough patch these last few days. Really fell off the wagon. Finally having a good day again today. Had a great run. Stayed on track diet-wise. Feeling re-energized and re-motivated! 

Good luck with all your school work, English_Muffin! I hope it all goes off without a hitch! 

Yeah, this week has been very challenging for me too - the only reason I am still passing my challenge is because I over performed on the first two weeks but that momentum won't see me through forever. 

I hope your dissertation writing goes well E.M. It's bringing back nightmares of my own dissertation. Such a stressful time! And I am glad you've got your mojo back Sammy! 

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been struggling!  Although sounds like you guys have had some really successful times, and are picking yourselves back up by going on runs etc.  Thats so good, grabbing your motivation before it goes is so important i've learnt!

I am still going to hang around the forums etc, but I will definitely be restarting this challenge, in the new year.  You have to successfully complete two challenges before joining a guild (I think), so I want to do it properly.  I just realise now that my timing was bad and I'm in no position to change my lifestyle when I'm hunches over a computer all day every day! xxx

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has been struggling!  Although sounds like you guys have had some really successful times, and are picking yourselves back up by going on runs etc.  Thats so good, grabbing your motivation before it goes is so important i've learnt!

I am still going to hang around the forums etc, but I will definitely be restarting this challenge, in the new year.  You have to successfully complete two challenges before joining a guild (I think), so I want to do it properly.  I just realise now that my timing was bad and I'm in no position to change my lifestyle when I'm hunches over a computer all day every day! xxx

*HUGS* 

so it seems we all can use a little motivation! I know I need it! at this point there is no way I am going to hit my goal. its my fault, no excuses here just responsibility! am I right? something happened that made me realize how important and to be honest easy(in the long run) this all is.  For the first to weeks of this challenge I was at about 75%. not 100 at all but i did ok. I am in a band and on the friday of week 2 we had a gig. At the end when we were packing up. I noticed how super easy it was to lift the speakers and amps and carry stuff to the van. I was really impressed at how after less than 2 weeks my work outs were already making life easier. Now enter thanksgiving holiday.......... I quit. I didnt work out at all really and ate junk. now it is 2 weeks later again and we had a gig last night. mercy sakes are those speakers and amps heavy!! After just 2 weeks of not working out i could tell. so it made me realize;while working out and eating right and living a more fit lifestyle is hard, its really not nearly as hard as being tired and in a blah mood and living an unfit lifestyle. We all have things. there are tons of reasons not to go to the gym or to eat fast food instead of a salad, but in the end it is more taxing than just sucking it up and doing what you know you should. Im gonna be honest. I have never once heard of anyone saying " Im so disappointed in myself for being healthy"  or "man i feel way worse and have so much less energy now that i am living a more fit life style". if we take care of our self the rest is a breeze. So lets see what we can do to get this snowball rolling again. I for one and going to re evaluate my goals and start from there. I think the key is not giving up, Keep doing something! The hardest part is starting we all know that. so whatever you do dont stop! make new goals and move on with them. even if its just 10 jumping jacks a day and one paleo meal a week. the is only like 30 seconds of work a day and I am sure we all have 30 seconds. This post is more for me than anyone but I hope I can encourage you all at the same time. Lets keep moving team WE can do this!

• Like 1

There are 2 kinds of people in this world

1. Those that make excuses

2. Those that make it HAPPEN

Who are you?

Thanks for the virtual hug Sammy... And how is your challenge going?

Nived thanks for taking time to send us your motivating and encouraging thoughts! I totally agree with you and I'm now thinking, sod this I need to get back on Paleo tomorrow, no booze until my next night out, and get this friggen gym membership sorted out. Needed a bit of motivation.

After I fell off the wagon I was still making *some* effort to be healthy, but this last week I have just eaten utter crap and I feel pretty awful now... put the weight back on and it's all around my stomach, so I'm feeling the podge. But the only way to fix it is to get back on it, so what am I waiting for?! Thanks man, I hope you've motivated yourself too!

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines