Elastigirl Races to Victory on Rainbow Road

Elastigirl

Yay handstand!! Great job! If you did it once, you'll do it again, for sure.

You know, I get shy talking about working out sometimes. One time I told one of my best friends that I work out because I like to feel strong, and she burst out laughing at me. And so did her husband! It was really weird and uncomfortable. Not only did it make me feel kind of bad, I also don't understand what's funny about it? She kept going, "I just keep picturing you as a superhero!" which is apparently funny, I guess. I don't know. But the weirdest thing was that a few months later, she was telling me that she liked how yoga made her feel strong. Anyway, it just showed me that people have very odd ideas about why people (women?) should work out or want to work out.

Also, sometimes I worry that people will think I'm trying to tell them how they should work out, or eat, or whatever, when in fact I really don't care what they choose to do. That was often the effect of telling people that I was vegetarian, or vegan, or Paleo, or whatever. Sometimes they get really defensive. I don't like to make people feel like I'm judging them. 

Thanks, wow I don't thing my friends would actually laugh at me. Look at me in bewilderment perhaps. Yea, I don't talk to much about how I eat either. Mainly for that reason, I don't care what other people eat, but somehow when you say I am eating such and such way people take it like you are judging the way they eat.

I understand your point of view. When I have telled a friend that I was trying bodyweight to get stronger, he laught too. saying '' Yeah like hte tiny vegetarian could build meat muscles good luck with that''. I don't talk about it anymore. I fell stronger, now with all the handstand training and that what is important. I don't talk about it either... or only when I have question about it, but I avoid talking about vegetarianism and stuff like that because the subject goes from good working out habits to nonsense like :'' If you burn fat while working out isn'it against vegetarianism?'' (actual quote by the way). 

Fell free to talk about it with us :) the important thing it that you fell good and proud of yourself. People will see that eventualy. :)

People can say the weirdest things. This is why I love the Rebels. I can come here and talk to you guys about it and you understand. When I say I'm pumped about doing a 3 second freestanding handstand here, people get it. I love my IRL friends, they are awesome and amazingly supportive in so many ways, but no one I know is into Bodyweight or getting stronger.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Did my workout outside today. It was about 38 degrees outside, and sunny. Bundled up and went out. I love workouts outside on days like this. 

1 (each side) bottoms up kettlebell TGU

3 (each side) 20 lb TGU

1-2-3 x 3 15 lb Clean and Press-whew I am getting the hang of this. It is building my grip strength

1-2-3 assisted pistols

Practiced carries with bottoms up KB

later in the day did a some handstands and then hubby helped me with kickups and just spotting while I held the handstand.Also went for a walk

In the evening we went to our church's dance class and practiced our swing, waltz and 2 step. 

I used the lightbox at about 5 this evening instead of earlier in the day. It has been getting dark about 4:30, and then I am just ready to curl up and be done with the day. Today I kind of had to force myself to go out, but once I got there and music was playing and my friends were there I had fun and felt energetic

Erf this week I am being lazy and just typing my treasuresI'll post the pictures for my weekly update though

Today

2 lightning bolts

1 star

1 coin

Yesterday

1 lightning bolt (no walk)

0 coin 

1 star

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

A (somewhat belated) congrats on the handstand!!!

And a (very belated) comment on your shyness when talking to your friends about working out: embrace the weird! Not always easy, I know, but they're your friends, they'll still love you even if they think you're weird. My friends all think I'm the weirdest person they know, but if you get right down to it, everyone is weird in their own way, there's not really any such thing as 'normal'.

There are definitely ways to talk about it with out sounding like your judging or that you're bragging (in a bad way), if you talk about it like it's normal eventually it will be normal to everyone, and then, instead of being 'Our Weird Friend EG who Does Handstands and Pull-ups' you'll just be 'Our Friend EG who does Handstands and Pull-ups'. Talking about it like it's normal is my way of dealing with people who think I'm weird. I don't care that they think I'm weird, but if I say 'I do this thing' and they say 'What?!? That's weird!', I just shrug and say 'Well, I still do this thing, and I like it'. At that point they can still think I'm weird, but they have no choice but to accept that I'm a person who does that thing. It might take a bit for them to accept it, and they might ask a lot of questions before they do, but eventually I just become 'obax who does that thing' and that's that.

None of which is to say that it's any easy thing to go through life with that sort of attitude, it took me a long time to get to the point where I was absolutely comfortable just being me with anyone and everyone. But people, be they friends or strangers, will take their cues from you. If you talk about something (doesn't matter what it is) like it's no big thing, then they'll take that cue from you and it'll be no big thing. But if you're shy about it or seem a bit embarrassed, they'll take that cue instead and see it as something unusual, which then leaves it open to criticism/teasing/whatever (though, amongst friends, one would hope that wouldn't be the path the conversation would take...)

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Thanks, wow I don't thing my friends would actually laugh at me. Look at me in bewilderment perhaps. Yea, I don't talk to much about how I eat either. Mainly for that reason, I don't care what other people eat, but somehow when you say I am eating such and such way people take it like you are judging the way they eat.

People can say the weirdest things. This is why I love the Rebels. I can come here and talk to you guys about it and you understand. When I say I'm pumped about doing a 3 second freestanding handstand here, people get it. I love my IRL friends, they are awesome and amazingly supportive in so many ways, but no one I know is into Bodyweight or getting stronger.

I'm pretty lucky in that my friends aren't necessarily into the whole strength-training, eating-Paleo thing, but they still get excited about what I'm doing.  Just by telling people I'm getting into parkour, I've already gotten two friends to ask if I can teach them some moves :D

Moral of the story is, you never know who's just looking for a little encouragement to do something fun and new ... and perhaps related to the things that you get excited about.

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

Yay handstand!!

Been thinking about somethis this week and I thought maybe if I wrote it here I could process the why's. I was talking to friends on Sunday and the subject of how to prevent osteoporosis came up ( cause yea that's what middle age gals talk about) I added some nutrition tips, but I didn't tell how my workout plan. I mentioned my hiking and stuff, but not that I use kettlebells. This is not the first time this scenario has happened. My bestie know  that I do pull ups and other fun stuff, but not the rest of my friends. For some reason I am afraid to tell my friends that I do like to do handstands, and crows and kettlebells.  Not that I need to tell the world or something, but I don't like the fact that even when the subject of exercise comes up I just chime in with the normal stuff (hiking, walking) Working out is fun for me, I'm proud of my accomplishment and I wish I was bolder about talking about this part of me.  What makes me be quiet? I think I'm afraid that my friends won't understand, I think part of me still worries that I shouldn't  really be working on getting stronger, which is silly and wrong of course.  Maybe next time the subject comes up, I will brag that I can do a wall handstand.

I think it comes down to the fact that in society women "aren't supposed" to do that stuff. Which I obviously think is complete bull. And so I like seeing the shocked looks on people's faces when I tell them that I do lunges with 60 lbs. Especially the guys. My guy friends sometimes get more weirded out than my female friends (especially if I can do something they can't, lol) but then after a minute of incredulity it turns to a nice kind of respect. I like telling these things to people because I want to shock them out of their ideas of what women should or shouldn't do when it comes to fitness. Lol. If I could convince one girl to put down her 2 lb pink dumbbells and lift some real weights, I'd be a happy camper :D

• Like 1

Level 7 Half-Elf Assassin
STR: 22.5 | DEX: 13.75 | STA: 15.75 | CON: 18.5 | WIS: 17 | CHA: 12

Challenges: First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Sixth, Unchallenge, Seventh

A (somewhat belated) congrats on the handstand!!!

And a (very belated) comment on your shyness when talking to your friends about working out: embrace the weird! Not always easy, I know, but they're your friends, they'll still love you even if they think you're weird. My friends all think I'm the weirdest person they know, but if you get right down to it, everyone is weird in their own way, there's not really any such thing as 'normal'.

There are definitely ways to talk about it with out sounding like your judging or that you're bragging (in a bad way), if you talk about it like it's normal eventually it will be normal to everyone, and then, instead of being 'Our Weird Friend EG who Does Handstands and Pull-ups' you'll just be 'Our Friend EG who does Handstands and Pull-ups'. Talking about it like it's normal is my way of dealing with people who think I'm weird. I don't care that they think I'm weird, but if I say 'I do this thing' and they say 'What?!? That's weird!', I just shrug and say 'Well, I still do this thing, and I like it'. At that point they can still think I'm weird, but they have no choice but to accept that I'm a person who does that thing. It might take a bit for them to accept it, and they might ask a lot of questions before they do, but eventually I just become 'obax who does that thing' and that's that.

Yea, I think it comes down to being comfortable with who I am, and maybe even being proud of my accomplishments

I'm pretty lucky in that my friends aren't necessarily into the whole strength-training, eating-Paleo thing, but they still get excited about what I'm doing.  Just by telling people I'm getting into parkour, I've already gotten two friends to ask if I can teach them some moves :D

Moral of the story is, you never know who's just looking for a little encouragement to do something fun and new ... and perhaps related to the things that you get excited about.

Good moral. I think too often I think they wouldn't be interested but who knows? :) 

Yay handstand!!

I think it comes down to the fact that in society women "aren't supposed" to do that stuff. Which I obviously think is complete bull. And so I like seeing the shocked looks on people's faces when I tell them that I do lunges with 60 lbs. Especially the guys. My guy friends sometimes get more weirded out than my female friends (especially if I can do something they can't, lol) but then after a minute of incredulity it turns to a nice kind of respect. I like telling these things to people because I want to shock them out of their ideas of what women should or shouldn't do when it comes to fitness. Lol. If I could convince one girl to put down her 2 lb pink dumbbells and lift some real weights, I'd be a happy camper :D

I agree 110%. And I get frustrated when my friends are honestly trying to get in shape but think they should do the 2 lb pink dumbbells, which is pretty much the case in the situation I described. I think I need to put my beliefs into actions, and use my enthusiasm to vanquish the lies of women "toning" :) 

WEEK 2 Rolling Along

Pretty good week. It was actually sunny here (really really odd for this time of year) so I subbed out longer time outdoors for my lightbox a few times. Even went geocaching today. Saw a guy on the trail doing a BW circuit :) He used the log for incline pushups and then did lunges. Win. 

Funny geocache description, which you may not understand if you don't cache but hubby and I thought it was very funny. The description of the cache tells you what size box you are looking for and any special tools. This one said,"You won't need a flashlight to locate the cache, or an old tuning fork or even a large bag of jelly beans, but you may need a pen to mark your log" :D 

Computer was 5/7- which is good but no bonus points earned

Did handstands 6/7 days, and the day I took off I had planned to give myself a rest.

Worked on my kettlebell and improved my bottoms up kb. Will work on that a bit to improve my press so I can press the 25lb bell. Also thinking of buying a 30# bell to do my swings with. 

Speaking of people thinking I'm weird.... Out shopping for my Kettlebell Saturday, I picked up the 35 # and gave it a few swings. Just then I lady came around the corner. Not sure if the look she gave me was cause she thought I was weird or amazement. :rapture:

Scorecard

Lightning bolts (walks, light box)           8  /8

Star (protein) 6/ 6

Coin ( no a.m. computer) 5/7

Mushroom ( meals planned and 1 new recipe) 2/2

In treasure mode:

150px-Lightning_Bolt_-_Mario_Kart_7.png150px-Lightning_Bolt_-_Mario_Kart_7.png150px-Lightning_Bolt_-_Mario_Kart_7.png150px-Lightning_Bolt_-_Mario_Kart_7.png150px-Lightning_Bolt_-_Mario_Kart_7.png150px-Lightning_Bolt_-_Mario_Kart_7.png150px-Lightning_Bolt_-_Mario_Kart_7.png150px-Lightning_Bolt_-_Mario_Kart_7.pngStarman_(Mario_Kart_Wii).pngStarman_(Mario_Kart_Wii).pngStarman_(Mario_Kart_Wii).pngStarman_(Mario_Kart_Wii).pngStarman_(Mario_Kart_Wii).pngStarman_(Mario_Kart_Wii).png150px-NSMBU_Coin_Artwork.png150px-NSMBU_Coin_Artwork.png150px-NSMBU_Coin_Artwork.png150px-NSMBU_Coin_Artwork.png150px-NSMBU_Coin_Artwork.pngmario-kart-7-cheats-track-shortcuts-mushmario-kart-7-cheats-track-shortcuts-mush

Funny geocache description, which you may not understand if you don't cache but hubby and I thought it was very funny. The description of the cache tells you what size box you are looking for and any special tools. This one said,"You won't need a flashlight to locate the cache, or an old tuning fork or even a large bag of jelly beans, but you may need a pen to mark your log" :D 

Sounds really funny though I don't get the joke! :P

Speaking of people thinking I'm weird.... Out shopping for my Kettlebell Saturday, I picked up the 35 # and gave it a few swings. Just then I lady came around the corner. Not sure if the look she gave me was cause she thought I was weird or amazement. :rapture:

Amazement, that's all it can be!! :D Did you end up buying the 35?

Level 6 Amazon Assassin Ranger

challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5

the rebuilding of the Amazon: #6

How are you supposed to buy it without testing the merchandise? ;) 

Awesome job this week, EG! I'm glad you got some real, proper sun over the weekend. It can make such a difference, can't it? 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Whee :)

A week full of win!

And I agree completely with Sammie about blowing people's expectations about what girls "should be able to do" right out of the water!

and i hate (HATE) the word "tone"

• Like 1

BlackWidowEowyn

Lvl 6 Hobbit Assassin

"Obstacles can't stop you, problems can't stop you. Most of all, other people can't stop you. Only you can stop you. " – J. Gitomer

"A vision of a champion is someone who is bent over drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching. "– Anson Dorrance

My kick in the Pants, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5

@missmajachere

Amazement, of course! Did you give her a look back that said 'Yeah, that's right, I just lifted this thing like it was made of clouds.'?

Your challenge seems to be going along swimmingly, so yay to that!! Your geocache description made me smile. My first thought was 'I wonder what a cache that requires a bag of jelly beans looks like', followed by a brainstorming session of how I could make that happen. All I can come up with is somehow training a squirrel with a sweet tooth to be a cache guardian or something.......

• Like 1

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

Amazement, of course! Did you give her a look back that said 'Yeah, that's right, I just lifted this thing like it was made of clouds.'?

haha!

• Like 1

BlackWidowEowyn

Lvl 6 Hobbit Assassin

"Obstacles can't stop you, problems can't stop you. Most of all, other people can't stop you. Only you can stop you. " – J. Gitomer

"A vision of a champion is someone who is bent over drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching. "– Anson Dorrance

My kick in the Pants, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5

@missmajachere

Your challenge seems to be going along swimmingly, so yay to that!! Your geocache description made me smile. My first thought was 'I wonder what a cache that requires a bag of jelly beans looks like', followed by a brainstorming session of how I could make that happen. All I can come up with is somehow training a squirrel with a sweet tooth to be a cache guardian or something.......

hehee. Our minds must be similar because I had the same thought; a guard squirrel

Yay, shiny things of progress!

I'm actually more confused about the tuning fork than the jellybeans ... Does it hum at a certain pitch?  Do you need to charm the wood-elves?

:)  :) They were just silly things the geocacher said. But, the reason it is funny is because you sometimes do need weird things. We will be out in the woods and see in the description, You will need a magnet to retrieve the cache, or  a paperclip, or 'make sure you have  something long enough to reach the cache" When we fist started caching we wouldn't notice that until later. Now we have a backpack with all sorts of  things we might need; paperclip, magnet, small flashlight, gloves, and a pen.

You're doing so awesome, EG! Also, I love that I'm not able to check the boards for a few days, and unsurprisingly, your thread has exploded. Lots of fun things to catch up on. :)

Congrats on the 3 second handstand! That's awesome!!! Super proud of you and the progress you're making!

Also, I know what you mean about feeling frustrated/sad when you see women using tiny dumbbells to "get that toned look." One of my students was talking about her strength training class that she was in, and mentioned how she was "afraid of getting bulky." So I sent her the article about spezzy's transformation. She was shocked after reading it, but it made her think really deeply about her fitness! Now she lifts heavy and I think, from what she's shared, is loving it! So...I guess that's one more woman who's moved on from the pink dumbbells. :)

Level 8 Guardian Trainee

STR 20 | DEX 15 | STA 13 | CON 15 | WIS 12 | CHA 17

TN is Lookin' at YOU, Summertime!

"Therefore, strengthen your feeble arms and weak knees." -Hebrews 12:12

Great work on the challenge and awesome handstand progress! I am so excited to see where we will be with those handstands in a few weeks!

Cavilie - Level 4 Assassin

Chapter 1 | Chapter 2 | Chapter 3 | Chapter 4

Handstand PVP

7 WIS|2 STA|4.25 CHA|7.75 DEX|1 CON|3.75 STR

"If you can’t take a little bloody nose, maybe you oughtta go back home and crawl under your bed. It’s not safe out here. It’s wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it’s not for the timid."

Q, Star Trek: The Next Generation ('Q Who?')

You're doing so awesome, EG! Also, I love that I'm not able to check the boards for a few days, and unsurprisingly, your thread has exploded. Lots of fun things to catch up on. :)

Congrats on the 3 second handstand! That's awesome!!! Super proud of you and the progress you're making!

Also, I know what you mean about feeling frustrated/sad when you see women using tiny dumbbells to "get that toned look." One of my students was talking about her strength training class that she was in, and mentioned how she was "afraid of getting bulky." So I sent her the article about spezzy's transformation. She was shocked after reading it, but it made her think really deeply about her fitness! Now she lifts heavy and I think, from what she's shared, is loving it! So...I guess that's one more woman who's moved on from the pink dumbbells. :)

thanks and good for you for destroying the myth of bulking to a gal. :) 

Great work on the challenge and awesome handstand progress! I am so excited to see where we will be with those handstands in a few weeks!

Thanks!

workout:

warm up

TGU 20 lb 5 minutes

handstand

1-2-3 bottoms up clean and press x 5 

pull ups, uh varying numbers :redface-new:

overhead carry 25lbs 

snatch 20 lb

and then a few weeny handstands during the day (my shoulders were pretty toast)

lightning=1

star=1

coin=1

:)  :) They were just silly things the geocacher said. But, the reason it is funny is because you sometimes do need weird things. We will be out in the woods and see in the description, You will need a magnet to retrieve the cache, or  a paperclip, or 'make sure you have  something long enough to reach the cache" When we fist started caching we wouldn't notice that until later. Now we have a backpack with all sorts of  things we might need; paperclip, magnet, small flashlight, gloves, and a pen.

I almost always forget a pen. Well, to be specific, when it's an easy, large-sized cache that contains a pen already and is near where I left my car, I never forget a pen. But when it's a cache that's 5km into a dense forest, or 30 ft. up a spruce tree, guaranteed, I'll forget the pen (both are true stories). I also never have tweezers, even though I bought a set specifically for geocaching...

Dare mighty things

Current Challenge

I almost always forget a pen. Well, to be specific, when it's an easy, large-sized cache that contains a pen already and is near where I left my car, I never forget a pen. But when it's a cache that's 5km into a dense forest, or 30 ft. up a spruce tree, guaranteed, I'll forget the pen (both are true stories). I also never have tweezers, even though I bought a set specifically for geocaching...

I think this why we thought it was so funny. We have a backpack full of all the essentials, so you'd think we'd be prepared. But then we get into the forest, and the pen has died, or we took the tool out of the backpack to use at home and forgot to return it, or left the backpack in the car. Then of course we spend  5 minutes arguing about who forgot and left the flashlight in the car :)  :) 

I had figured they were more than slightly facetious.  I was poking fun :P

Geocaching sounds like awesome fun, though.

Previous challenges:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6)

What's the craziest thing they've asked for you to reach the cache?

Caching really sounds like SO much fun!  :D

Level 6 Amazon Assassin Ranger

challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5

the rebuilding of the Amazon: #6

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines