Liz1729 is going to get her life back in order

liz1729

Hello Druids! I love being one of you even though I posted so infrequently in the last challenge. I've had to dial back my goals last challenge because my life got crazy. That's continued ... and gotten worse! To give you a typical day in my life:

6am Wake up shattered. Do Physio exercises. Leave for work. 

6:45am drive

7:15am start work

4pm first break of the day; chat with coworkers to relax my mind

4:15pm working again

6:30pm get kicked out of the work buildings by the lockup guy; drive home

7:00pm Physio

7:30pm Eat a meal or snack. 

7:45pm working again.

1-2am stop work. sleep. I should do more Physio but SLEEEEEEP! 

This obviously is lame. I'm going to just get on with it. It should be temporary, rather long term but at least not permanent. I anticipate back-to-a-decent-life approx Jan 11th, although the injury I'm having physio and doing physio exercises for is ongoing. So survival until then needs to tackle: 

--- Eating on a regular basis. I stopped to look in a mirror and weigh myself yesterday. One meal a day has had an effect. Oddly, I've not been hungry. Too busy to notice hunger or tiredness or puny human emotions. While I have no qualms about fasting, it's important to keep it short and ensure the average calorie intake is at acceptable levels. This has gotten longer term than anticipated so is getting bad. 

--- Finding ways to do the vital tasks of life. I ran out of underwear as I hadn't done clothes washing in so long. I woke up panicked remembering a gas bill I received but hadn't paid yet then couldn't find it anywhere. My desk at work has so much loose paperwork on it that I can't find things. 

--- Feeling zen. This is a very taxing time and I can feel my mental wellbeing sliding as the days of challenging life has slid into weeks then into months. I will last it out but it would be nice to be happy and unstressed too. 

--- Do everything I can to get over this injury! 

MAIN QUEST Gain survival skills for the tough times I'm in right now. 

1. WHAT? Eat 3x/day. HOW? Order food for 3 easy prep meals per day. Buy online and map out what gets eaten when to ensure enough is eaten each day and that nothing goes off by my disorganisation. Take all shortcuts possible e.g. buy precut carrot batons for easy steaming in place of carrots and don't feel guilty for the extra cost. Suck it up to pay more; time is money right now!

2. WHAT? Get my chores done. HOW? Work out which weekends I get to myself and use this time to get ahead on chores. Plan out all allowances of time. Set up email reminders of things I have to do by a certain date. 

3. WHAT? Do what the physio told me to do: exercises 3x/day. Take ibuprofen 3x/day. HOW? Spend time at the next weekend practising the new two exercises to add these effectively to the repertoire. Draw out a tick box grid in my log book to record that I do these things as often as required. 

LIFE SIDE QUEST 

WHAT? Get zen. HOW? The other goals all contribute to this, or rather, my neglect of these things thus far have made me feel really grotty. Additionally do deep breathing exercises at home when working in the evening and before bed. 

FITNESS SIDE QUEST

WHAT? Get some level of fitness back again. HOW? Do my Ballet class 1x/week. Do gentle exercise e.g. running, yoga, basic level callisthenics, if the mood strikes and time allows. No pressure on myself to do any of these but I've got the ok from the Physio to do so if I wish for the first time in months.

MOTIVATION

To be happier and achieve the things I expect myself to be able to do. 

Imp Druid (according to this)

STR 6 | DEX 2 | STA 3 | CON 5 | WIS 5 | CHA 3

Wow, your job just sounds... insane!  I hope it settles down for you soon.  Your goals all look good, I hope you have time to work on them!  I'll be cheering you on, and I hope things get easier.

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

Stars hide your fires for these here are my desires
And I won't give them up to you this time around
And so I'll be found with my stake stuck in the ground
Marking the territory of this newly impassioned soul ~ Mumford and Sons

Physio could do more damage if you aren't getting enough rest! I would know, I'm queen of it. Haha, your schedule is even worse than mine so I hope it settles out for you and looking forward to your goals. I really like your plans for being able to eat food on the go, this I also know about and usually end up making a pot of something and just eat that for a week. Kind of boring but you know what you are eating!

The question isn't who's going to let me, it's who's going to stop me!     

~(to come when I remember)

Level 3 Adventurer

Huge NF Meet up?

Polls for marathon meet up: States   International (more info click the link above!)

Sounds like getting yourself grounded and out of pure survival mode is super important right now! Glad you are looking to take care of yourself. Go easy and remember to breathe!

Race: Gallifreyan

Profession: Druid

Level: 6

Current Challenge:Livingroovy Comes Home

[sTR] - 16.8 // [DEX] - 12.25 // [sTA] - 16 // [CON] - 17.3 // [WIS] - 16.55 // [CHA] - 14.6

Find me on the internets: Facebook // Twitter // Kate Marolt | Play Warrior & Excitement Engineer!

Hi Liz.

I am sooo glad you took the time to post your challenge, I realize it has taken valuable time from your very intense schedule.

Also - it is wisely formulated, and the things you plan are likely to be of great benefit for you. Bravo!

Jan 11th isn't that far off….

Will you grade yourself at all, or settle with just the goals?

Even if your life is this intense just for a limited period of time - remember to get rest. You need it!!

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Wow, your job just sounds... insane!  I hope it settles down for you soon.  Your goals all look good, I hope you have time to work on them!  I'll be cheering you on, and I hope things get easier.

Thank you for your support - yes my job is insane! It occasionally calms down to 50-60 hours/week and I keep thinking thats coming up but ... nope something else pops up to add 20 hours to my workload that week. Rinse and repeat. 

Physio could do more damage if you aren't getting enough rest! I would know, I'm queen of it. Haha, your schedule is even worse than mine so I hope it settles out for you and looking forward to your goals. I really like your plans for being able to eat food on the go, this I also know about and usually end up making a pot of something and just eat that for a week. Kind of boring but you know what you are eating!

Could you explain more of what you mean about physio doing damage? :0 

Sounds like getting yourself grounded and out of pure survival mode is super important right now! Glad you are looking to take care of yourself. Go easy and remember to breathe!

Thank you. :)

Hi Liz.

I am sooo glad you took the time to post your challenge, I realize it has taken valuable time from your very intense schedule.

Also - it is wisely formulated, and the things you plan are likely to be of great benefit for you. Bravo!

Jan 11th isn't that far off….

Will you grade yourself at all, or settle with just the goals?

Even if your life is this intense just for a limited period of time - remember to get rest. You need it!!

I'm going to grade myself with relatively made up grades. I'm a teacher so I've got a bit an instinct now as to what I consider to be "A" grade down to "D" grade. If I make up rules for what qualifies for each then I'll start using loopholes to do less e.g. Well I've missed 3 physios so put myself down to a grade B... I can miss 3 more and still be a grade B so I don't really need to do this mornings one....

1. WHAT? Eat 3x/day. HOW DID I DO?

*I ordered 27 meals of food for a week and a bit. Good - to continue doing. 

*I mapped out what I would eat each day on a whiteboard in my living room. Good - to continue doing

*I ate 16/27 meals. Relatively bad. What was promising was that I got hungry - it was outrightly freaky to have 300-500kcal/day and my body not complain. I can see which meals I skipped .... peanut butter on toast was never going to happen in the mornings because of the time it takes to make, something I can eat at my desk was fine. I also got totally sick of premade food and missed my own cooking. So I've ordered 'kits' to take some of the work out of it but I'll make my own enchiladas and thai curry this week. 

So: refine and adjust. 

2. WHAT? Get my chores done. HOW DID I DO?

*Set up email reminders of a zillion things that I no longer need to think about. Much less mentally taxing. 

*Paid the gas bill. 

*Deciphered the council tax bill ("immediate payment required" on page 1 but then "due 5th December" on page 5...WTF?)

*Registered my lack of TV with the TV licensing company so they can stop investigating me and sending threatening letters. 

*Test drove a car. 

*Did 3 loads of clothes washing and dried them and sorted them. 

*Visit parents for a day. 

I haven't: kept my house tidy; done washing up; ironed anything. 

I need to clear through my house and washing up today then try to stay on top of it during the week. I need to do enough ironing to create a week of workwear. 

3. WHAT? Do what the physio told me to do: exercises 3x/day. Take ibuprofen 3x/day. HOW DID I DO?

*No records of what I've done.

*I was very patchy of what I did and missed many.

Very bad, must improve. I kept falling asleep when I was supposed to do physio instead. 

I've made a tickbox sheet now to keep track of those and have ticked off 1/1 exercises and 1/1 ibuprofen for this morning. 

LIFE SIDE QUEST 

WHAT? Get zen. HOW DID I DO?

*Feeling better but had freaky dreams the last two nights and woke up in an adrenaline filled state due to my running from monsters (yes, really).

*Breathing going well, I do it in the car on the way to work too.

*I feel a lot calmer when I manage to prepare more in advance for work, should try this. I also feel the weight of tons of catch-up marking to do ... I should sort through these in a minute so I at least know the size of the beast I'm tackling this week. 

FITNESS SIDE QUEST

WHAT? Get some level of fitness back again. HOW DID I DO? 

*Slept through ballet so missed that.

*Did do 2 short workouts tacked on after physio on wednesday and saturday. I've picked out the Convict Conditioning book again. Maybe its the fact that it cost a fortune or maybe it's the gentle rehab style start but it was what I felt motivated to do. Not allowed near a barbell. :(

OVERALL: Need to eat more. Need to keep on top of mess in my house, washing up and ironing. Need to do my physio and take ibuprofen more regularly (use the chart). 

Could you explain more of what you mean about physio doing damage? :0 

If you aren't fully focused on the physio moves it doesn't always take much to over extend or twist the wrong way. Just make sure you aren't to exhausted that you can't focus on the physio.

The question isn't who's going to let me, it's who's going to stop me!     

~(to come when I remember)

Level 3 Adventurer

Huge NF Meet up?

Polls for marathon meet up: States   International (more info click the link above!)

I think you really had a good start and it will only get better! It is hard, that's why it's called a challenge….

Thank you!

If you aren't fully focused on the physio moves it doesn't always take much to over extend or twist the wrong way. Just make sure you aren't to exhausted that you can't focus on the physio.

I didn't think of this - thank you so much for explaining. 

So it's been bad. My workload increased by about 12hours a week these past two weeks putting me at an average of 3 hours sleep per night and in a shaky and weird state. I've been feeling mentally weaker too so some completely standard unpleasant events have really upset me (parents getting angry with me and blaming me for not doing enough for their child when I tell them their child has done xyz and is now failing - there is nothing more I can do, I already go beyond the job description because I care and accusations that make it sound like I'm lazy and uncaring really annoy me). 

I did quite well eating last week but felt really nauseous this week, I made food once a day but couldn't stomach eating it really. So I've had some raw carrot in the evenings but that's about it. Quite worrying and I felt really ill yesterday and couldn't really work properly in the evening .... woke up at about 3am with serious vomiting up some water. And repeat for hours. Day off work, obviously which I've felt really guilty about but I can hardly teaching while throwing up at intervals can I? It's been crap but it's over now. I know I've been pushing myself too far and so I'm not massively surprised I ran myself down enough to get ill. Only one more week before the majority of my extra work is over and I'll get a normal workload again. :)

Goal 1: Eat 3x/day. Grade E 1/21 I ate what counts as a meal this evening. Silver lining: I have a lot of spare food so my food bill for this week should be low. 

Goal 2: Do chores. Grade E. Literally none beyond ironing the day's clothes for work. My house looks terrible. 

Goal 3: Physio and medicine. Grade B. I've done 2x physio/day and ibuprofen 2-3x/day. 

Life side quest: Grade E. I could not feel much worse. Life is just about endurance right now, not positive things. 

Fitness side quest: Grade C. I went to ballet on monday for a hour lesson. It kicked my butt as I'm so unfit now and my inner thighs still ache 5 days later. Love it. Really great to manage something active; a saddening reminder of how awesomely fit and strong I was before this accident and the exercise ban. 

Be careful Liz, prioritize rest. Great work !, I'm amazed you're still trying to do the challenge….

Thanks- its been totally crap! It's so hard to prioritize rest, it needs to be my new year's resolution! I'm not so much trying to do the challenge so much as I wrote down what my life is like - eating, doing physio and household chores are pretty much compulsory regardless of if I'm doing the challenge or not.

Anyway... the hard times are over! Yay! Project #1 train a new teacher is done and we can't take any more trainees on until next September so that is that for the year. Project #2 survive without my fiancé is done and he doesn't have any more trips of that length in the forseeable future.  I've been working through the backlog of work for the last week so not much rest, but I've had regular meals and am functioning reasonably. I'm now on holiday for 2.5 weeks...nice! 

Challenge #1 Eat 3x/day. Grade C. It's been more like 2x/day but they've both been decent meals. Win. I even managed 3 meals today. 

Challenge #2 Chores. Grade B. I thought I was doing great until I noticed that my tax and MOT on my old car ran out last week without me noticing, what an idiot! Luckily I'm not driving it at the moment so I SORNed it online that day and will deal with selling it about Feb when people have more money. 

Challenge #3 Physio and medicine. Grade A. A weird one as my physio lady said I'm done and no need for more appointments. Yet I'm still in pain, need to do my physio exercises to function and can't do everyday activities like carry a backpack. It sounds to me like she might meet I'm done because there is no more she can do for me and I'm just unfixable :(. She did tell me to stop taking the medicines now and I weaned myself off them over the course of a week no problem. She also said that weight lifting, ballet and yoga AKA the three loves of my fitness life are bad ideas and I should consider swimming and cycling instead. Unfortunately I hate these. She approves of walking but I do that so much I don't even count that as exercise. I have therefore been advised to do a small amount of the basics in each and very gradually build up. I'm dying to get back into shape, I'm a totally mess right now. It feels great to work out again. :) 

Overall damage: -2 days of health, -4 lbs weight (in a bad way), -lots of happiness ..but I have survived and there is light at the end of the tunnel. 

Final week done fine. It's the holidays so I could chill out, eat lots, sleep lots and catch up on everything that needs doing. So A in all categories for the final 5 days! So overall: 

1. Eating: Grade D. I didn't eat nearly enough but I did eat quite healthily. I love intermittent fasting too. 

2. Chores: Grade B. Done all the ones I remembered - shame I forgot about my car. 

3. Physio: Grade A. Did all the exercises. 

Overall: Grade B. I survived and life should be better now. Less work and less crap and I'm sufficiently fixed to get exercising again! Looking forward to getting home (I'm visiting family around the country for 2 weeks for Christmas) and picking up an exercise routine again. I'll be setting myself challenges but not sure if I'll be on here. It's sad and lonely being part of a community of so many yet somehow unable to really connect with anyone despite being around for 4 challenges. 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines