Another year, another Dirty challenge.

I think it would just be super cool to be able to do a pull-up!  Keep working and you will get there.  I will definitely be working towards this goal in the new year.

It's just a generalization and we are all better at some things and more challenged at others.  You will get stronger!  Planks are partly mental.  When you hit the 30 second mark, use that comment to help you make it to 35, then 40....  Just a little bit longer each time!

I'm definitely looking forward to it. It's been a long time coming and something I would really pride myself on being able to do. Thank you for your encouragement ^_^.

Great goals, looks like an awesome challenge

Thank you ^_^

I'm sure it wasn't meant to be cruel, but you're also still at the early stages.  Don't let him get you down and use his comment as fuel for the fire.  You'll get past 30 seconds in no time!

I know, I'm just going through a difficult time right now so I'm a little bit sensitive. It hurts more from people you trust and love like family.

Glad you're feeling better! That's so awesome that you graduated to the lighter band!!! Way to go!!!!

Thank you! I was super excited!!

Race: Dwarf Class: Ranger Level: 3

STR: 9 | DEX: 7 | STA: 9 | CON: 6 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 8

Current-5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you

So I took what Melyssa said and used my classmates coarse remark to try harder today. The minimum I planked during my workout was 30 seconds, I topped out at a minute. It's still a modified plank since I'm doing them from my elbows, but I'm quite happy with that until my wrists become a little stronger. I'm doing the beginning phase of a planche push up progression to strengthen them (basically rolling them up and getting them used to some body weight).

Pull-ups I can knock out 5 with good form on the purple band, which is a step up from the green band I was using prior. I tried to add another 2 sets of 5 to strengthen the muscles a little more but ended up only adding another 3 each time. It's a good mark, we shall see how I do on Saturday. Today was just a simple 30 minute run at 80% my max heart rate. I was working pretty hard but since it wasn't such a long duration I didn't mind. Looking forward to doing my intervals on Saturday.  Still haven't tacked on an upper body routine to my workout yet. I'm going to work on that tonight while I'm waiting for my potatoes to cook.

Week 1 going strong!

**Also, totally knocked out 125 sit ups in my little sit up program. They were in batches but I still felt like a champ at the end when I added that up.

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you

DLS, sounds like you are flying out of the starting gate on this challenge!  Way to go!  For someone who's neglected her upper body as you say you have, it sounds like you're definitely making some early gain already in transitioning bands and moving up to 5/3/3 assisted pullups almost immediately.  And ramping up your planks quickly, too - sounds like you're using that hurtful comment as strong motivation!

Kind of embarrassed to ask, but....   you said you're doing modified planks from your elbows.  That's how I thought you were supposed to do them!?  What's the unmodified form?  (confused voice)  Thanks.

OrcWarrior

Current challenge  6 5 4 3 2 1 Favorite recipes

Level 4 ranger  Str 13 Dex 4 Sta 12 Con 12 Wis 11 Cha 5

“Success is not final...Failure is not fatal...it's the courage to continue that counts†-Winston Churchill

"One step at a time, I can walk around the world. Watch me." -Aral Vorkosigan, Barrayar, 1991

.......Well then, it seems I've been lead astray and I am doing the regular type. GO ME DOUBLE TIME!!!! On your forearms is more for core engaging and on your wrists works more shoulders. I never actually sat down to think about that. Now I don't feel nearly as bad. But I still need to work on wrist strength. For other things....

I worked on my pull ups last challenge (just not as a focus) as well as part of my workouts, so I'm not quite speeding through the progression as much as it shows. It took a lot of work to get here and it's gonna take a lot of work to get to the end.

Thanks for the encouragement though Orc :-)

I was wondering about the modified plank.  I do them on my elbows and they are a lot harder than hands. Awesome job! Keep being motivated by that comment and you will have 2 minute planks in no time.

Smurray -- Ranger (Level 4)

STR 8 | DEX 5 | STA 8 | CON 8 | WIS 14 | CHA 9

Challenges:

Current,, First, Second, Third, Fourth

It never hurts to add a little more color to life... a lot more color could be a bit painful.

Keep up the good work. For me, I started doing planks a couple of times a day and within a few weeks my times drastically improved. I still got/get the shakes 15 seconds in but can hold it for much longer now.

level 10 Half Ogre Ranger

Healers Brigade

1st  | 2nd | 3rd | 4th | 5th | 6th | 7th | 8th | 9th | 10th | 11th | 12th | 13th | 14th | 15th | 16th | 17th | 18th | 19th | 20th | 21st | 22nd | 23rd | 24th | 25th | 26th | 27th

Current

I was wondering about the modified plank.  I do them on my elbows and they are a lot harder than hands. Awesome job! Keep being motivated by that comment and you will have 2 minute planks in no time.

Yeah, I'm glad I actually figured that out. Going to mention that in my classes now!

Great job, DLS. Continue using those words that stung the other day to propel yourself when your own resolve just isn't enough.

Thanks EmCee! That memory is going to be put to work for awhile.

Keep up the good work DLS!  I love how hard you pushed yourself on those planks - it's funny how a little external motivation can push you past that little mental barrier.   :)

True dat

Keep up the good work. For me, I started doing planks a couple of times a day and within a few weeks my times drastically improved. I still got/get the shakes 15 seconds in but can hold it for much longer now.

I found concentrating on my breathing helped a bit. I'm looking forward to watching my progress.

Arms were included in my workout today. Changed up my squats I goblet squats so I would even have to hold them as my limiting factor.

Awesome run, used the maximum heart rate monitor on my phone instead of the fartleks. I was waaaay to excited to try it out. Paired well with my Zombies, Run! app. Started season 2 and I'm loving it. Pull ups were 4 sets of 5 with 2 extra reps thrown in there.

Then I ate all the things lol. Thank goodness I was working and the only things edible were healthy.

Also had a beer with the buddy from my program after work today. He honestly didn't mean it to be mean and knew it might be out of line after he said it. Good to know he's still got my back ^_^

• Like 3

Glad to hear you sorted things it out with him.  I think we've all been there - something doesn't sound bad in our head, but after it's said it just kind of hangs there and sounds offensive.   :neglected:   And your pullups - kowabunga, DLS!!!  You move up a band, then within a few days you're up to 4 sets of 5 pullups plus extras.  I'm deeply coveting your progress.....

Nice job!

OrcWarrior

“Success is not final...Failure is not fatal...it's the courage to continue that counts†-Winston Churchill

"One step at a time, I can walk around the world. Watch me." -Aral Vorkosigan, Barrayar, 1991

They aren't normally trying to be mean :) just don't recognize that their words could be construed differently until it's too late.

Yeah, that's why I decided to talk to him about it after I cooled down a little.

Glad you were able to clear that up! From what you said, it didn't sound deliberately malicious. If it had been a girl who said it, yeah, but guys don't usually do the backhanded slaps that way.

Truth!1

Glad to hear you sorted things it out with him.  I think we've all been there - something doesn't sound bad in our head, but after it's said it just kind of hangs there and sounds offensive.   :neglected:   And your pullups - kowabunga, DLS!!!  You move up a band, then within a few days you're up to 4 sets of 5 pullups plus extras.  I'm deeply coveting your progress.....

Nice job!

Thank you!

Nothing like a good beer to help clear things up.  Awesome work on the pull ups.  You got me working on that skill as well.  Keep up the good work.

Beer and tea fix all. And awesome!

Yay for clearing the air - but keep that feeling for future motivation!  :)  Keep up the awesome.

Thanks girly

Completed workout today, used my heart rate monitor today to do another benefit target. Chose steady state since it's for improving aerobic fitness and did an hour (two missions of Zombies Run, I find it's the only way to make these long runs bearable indoors).

Did my weight lifting beforehand and found I liked the results. I'm going to continue to do that. Went after a test and couple guys in my program were there. I'm trying to focus on my grip and wrist extension to help with my cleans. Also trying to work with Frankenstein squats once a week to help me get over "something is choking me" sensation.

I know, right? That was one of the modifications taught to us on our local OnRamp but both of us doing it were comfortable with squats so she moved on to front ones. Both of them made me really uneasy and that's one thing that's keeping me away from cleans, so I'm working on it to make me a little more comfortable

I know, right? That was one of the modifications taught to us on our local OnRamp but both of us doing it were comfortable with squats so she moved on to front ones. Both of them made me really uneasy and that's one thing that's keeping me away from cleans, so I'm working on it to make me a little more comfortable

Way to tackle your struggles head on!!  Takes guts to confront rather than avoid the things that make us uncomfortable.  I salute you, DLS - you're setting the pace the rest of us!   :encouragement:

OrcWarrior

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines