The Spartan Monk, RisenPhoenix

It was AWESOME. I can post images on FB for the moment, but I need more time to get them on here. But I' think that's a task for tomorrow morning. We Rebels grabbed food post-run, most are home now, but we're going out again once we're all cleaned up. I'm being oddly social and running with it.

But I think I did the monks proud. :D

It was AWESOME. I can post images on FB for the moment, but I need more time to get them on here. But I' think that's a task for tomorrow morning. We Rebels grabbed food post-run, most are home now, but we're going out again once we're all cleaned up. I'm being oddly social and running with it.

But I think I did the monks proud. :D

WOOOOOOOO!!!

REPRESENT!!!!

Good Job, RP! :D

As promised:

IMG_2046_zpsfa7e1962.jpg

I was just WAY too tired to smile here.  Also, I hate taking selfies, but one seemed appropriate at the time.

IMG_2048_zpsfcdbbe66.jpg

This is the one that I posted on the Book for Faces.  Much more my style. Ha.

That being said....

Holy crap, that was freaking phenomenal and I want to do it again.  While grabbing drinks with Seth and Raptron last night I actually said I wanted to do another one right then.  It may have been the beer talking, but it was still pretty freaking awesome.  Here's the list of obstacles that were on the race this year.  I think I got them all, but maybe if I forgot some the other Rebels who were there can add in what I missed.  Not exactly in order, but some things lined up in my brain that way.

So it started, before we even got to the official start point like so:

Climb a 6-foot wall

10 burpees.

Bear crawl under bungies /jump over bungies up 4 ramps (textured and painful, might I add) to the top of the stadium

Jump rope with heavy rope

"Atlas Carry" - Carry a stone, do 10 burpees, carry the stone back.

Medicine Ball slams with a 25# ball

Water jug carry - two large gallon jugs up and down a flight of stairs

Another wall climb

Hand release push ups

Rowing 500 meters in 2 minutes (Made it!  Apparently lots of people failed this?)

Military wall climbs - over, under, and through walls

Bear crawls again

7 foot wall to climb over

Monkey bars! (Almost failed this for stopping midway - made it though!)

Weight hoist - large weight on a pully - bring it up and down, no slamming it to the ground

Stair hops - rubber band around your legs, hop up 2 flights of stairs, then over/under some bungies

Rope Climb.  (Failed this - but the fact I managed to get as high up as I did amazes me.  Must find a place to try this again.)

Wall traverse (Failed this.  I suck at rock climbing.)

Spear toss - Failed.  Epically. (So these two were back to back.  A fun SIXTY BURPEES FOR ME. *lolsob* )

Sandbag carry up and down stairs

8 Foot wall

20 box jumps

Cargo net climb

Gladiator gauntlet (Kinda disappointed there were only two guys...)

Then the finish line.

Though it all there was a lot of zig-zagging through the stadium seats, back hallways, through the dugout (apparently that's an important place in baseball), and over and under tunnels in Fenway, for apparently 3 miles.  It didn't *feel* like 3 miles, but that's what they said.

It took me about 1:30, which was double the so-called average time.  But I survived, so I don't care.  That being said - next year I'm doing it in an hour.  Ish.

So, beyond that, my challenges this week were also awesome.  I think this may have been the motivational kick I needed.  I'm a bit sore (mostly in my trapezius from hoisting myself over all of the walls), but still feel awesome.  And dinner post-race with everyone was ridiculously fun, too.  I'm kind of kicking myself for not going to an NF meet up sooner.

That being said, the remainder of my day will consist of tea, books, and videogames, with minimal human interaction.

• Like 1

It took me about 1:30, which was double the so-called average time.  But I survived, so I don't care.  That being said - next year I'm doing it in an hour.  Ish.

So, beyond that, my challenges this week were also awesome.  I think this may have been the motivational kick I needed.  I'm a bit sore (mostly in my trapezius from hoisting myself over all of the walls), but still feel awesome.  And dinner post-race with everyone was ridiculously fun, too.  I'm kind of kicking myself for not going to an NF meet up sooner.

That being said, the remainder of my day will consist of tea, books, and videogames, with minimal human interaction.

Congratulations!!    That is one amazing feat.  Hope you enjoy your quiet time :-)

Wow, way to rock! I had no idea that the Spartan Race went out of its way to give you things to do like that. I guess that's part of what makes it so challenging.

And it sounds like took place entirely within the stadium? Wow. That must have felt epic.

Great meeting you at the Spahten! Seeing as Seth's 45 minutes had him in the 1% you were nowhere near double the average time.

And tea, books, and videogames with minimal human interaction sounds like an excellent way to recover physically and mentally.

We'll have to hang out again soon!

Dude!  It was great meeting you and hanging out with you post-race.  I would have liked to meet up with you guys for round 2, but was already across the city in a spot that would have made getting to somerville a bit of an issue.  And, I wasn't driving anywhere. ;)

Great meeting you at the Spahten! Seeing as Seth's 45 minutes had him in the 1% you were nowhere near double the average time.

Fun fact.  If you look at your results page, you will be in the 1% as well.  That calculation has never worked on their site.

Congratulations!!    That is one amazing feat.  Hope you enjoy your quiet time :-)

Thanks!

Wow, way to rock! I had no idea that the Spartan Race went out of its way to give you things to do like that. I guess that's part of what makes it so challenging.

And it sounds like took place entirely within the stadium? Wow. That must have felt epic.

It was totally epic.  And yea, the entire thing took place in the stadium.  Some really nice views the entire time.... at least I'm assuming so - I had no glasses on so everything greater than 10 feet away was more or less a giant multicolored blob.  But it was awesome.  Highly recommend it if you a ) have the funds and b ) a bunch of nerds to hang out with afterwards.

Well done!!!!!!

Thanks!

:D

It was awesome meeting you yesterday and I'm so glad you came out for Round 2. Congrats again on the finish! You definitely seemed like you were ready to take off on another Spartan at the bar last night, beer or no beer. 

Same!  I'm glad I did drag my butt out to hang with you and Seth at Gathering 2.0.  And I did have an obscene amount of energy afterwards.  Amazing what a shower and a change of clothes can do.

And tea, books, and videogames with minimal human interaction sounds like an excellent way to recover physically and mentally.

We'll have to hang out again soon!

I freaking love that you're referring to it as "The Spahten."  And yes, the tea and books were a fantastic way of recovering - I actually think the videogames were the lowpoint of the day (when the hell did I get old?  Sheesh!).

And yea, we'll definitely have to hang out and grab beer at Magoun's at some point soon.  Still amazes me the number of Nerds we have in the Boston area.

Dude!  It was great meeting you and hanging out with you post-race.  I would have liked to meet up with you guys for round 2, but was already across the city in a spot that would have made getting to somerville a bit of an issue.  And, I wasn't driving anywhere. ;)

Fun fact.  If you look at your results page, you will be in the 1% as well.  That calculation has never worked on their site.

Round two was small, so no worries.  Most people dropped out, but it's okay.  We'll all harass you about it later. :P  And I totally don't blame you.  When Seth initially suggested Copley I had to fight to get the motivation to go back out.  At least with the Harvard stop I could jump on a single bus and get there no problem.

Also, I blame you and Tinney for putting the November Project in my brain.  Now I'm debating trying to show up ass early in the morning.  Apparently my roommate thinks me fighting against this impulse is a lost cause....

Also, Monday update for my Challenge:

First and foremost - I added a challenge to myself.  I have a few friends who speak Japanese (mostly when drunk), and I'm supposedly going to Japan with a friend in a few years, so I figure learning Japanese now is a great use of my free time.  So I want to make myself accountable for learning it slowly/over time.  I do have a textbook to learn from (plus impromptu lessons from friends), so my goal is to do 3 lessons a week.  Those lessons include reading a dialoague, learning vocabulary, and doing the practice exercises.   Though as of now, in the same ironical vein of claiming "No hablo espanol," Nihongo ga wakarimasen.

So, moving forward.  Finally mostly recovered from the soreness of the Spahten (HA!) race Saturday, I did another super-modified Beginner bodyweight workout:

20 squats

15 hand release pushups

20 lunges

5 pull ups or chin ups

30 second plank

30 jumping jacks.

A minute or so rest between each circuit, and done 4 times total (so 2 sets of pull ups and chin ups).  My arms and legs feel wobbly, but good.

Foodwise, yesterday I was spot on for a day with no physical activity.  I did make sure to hit 120g protein to compensate for probably not hitting that Saturday.  Though the way I did it was epic.  I wanted hot chocolate.  Protein powder I have is chocolate.  So I warmed up 1.5 cups of vanilla almond milk, tossed in the protein powder and a bit of extra baking cocoa, and BAM.  Protein-laden hot chocolate (which since I use whey protein made it even better).  I was in heaven.

Today is also off to a pretty good start.  I may miss the 2400 calories today, depending on if I'm eating at home or out to dinner tonight after aikido, but protein should be spot on, since I had a shake after my workout.

Overall, I'm feeling really good.  More importantly, I feel like the Spartan on Satuday and meeting all of the freaking awesome Nerds has given me back my motivation.  I was horribly worried that I was going to do the race and then not want to do anything afterwards, and now it seems that I want to do EVERYTHING.  Its a fantastic feeling.  Now I just need to figure out how to sustain it forward.  And maybe how to find a decent place to start lifting heavy things.  I really want to lift heavy things.  I blame all the rangers on Saturday.

Overall, I'm feeling really good.  More importantly, I feel like the Spartan on Satuday and meeting all of the freaking awesome Nerds has given me back my motivation.  I was horribly worried that I was going to do the race and then not want to do anything afterwards, and now it seems that I want to do EVERYTHING.  Its a fantastic feeling.  Now I just need to figure out how to sustain it forward.  And maybe how to find a decent place to start lifting heavy things.  I really want to lift heavy things.  I blame all the rangers on Saturday.

Rangers are where it's at!

I am thoroughly jealous of all these things.

Well done, sir. Well done.

You should have come out to do it!  Or, you know, do it in that Texas place you live with other Rebels.  Because they seriously made that race, more than anything.

Also, Box jumps.  I totally forgot about the box jumps.  *goes off to edit his list*