• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RisenPhoenix

The Spartan Monk, RisenPhoenix

I am thoroughly jealous of all these things.

Well done, sir. Well done.

Me too =( So much awesome!. I'm gonna create my own Spartan Ninja Warrior Race thingy, no matter I'd be the only one in. 

came for the spartan race recap.

stayed for the top 1% :)

Yea!  My recap pales compared to Ska.  But I was mostly running on adrenaline that day.  Memory beyond "It's awesome" was not needed.

Me too =( So much awesome!. I'm gonna create my own Spartan Ninja Warrior Race thingy, no matter I'd be the only one in. 

I see no reason why not to now hold a craft-your-own Spartan Ninja Warrior Race that all Monks should contribute to.

Awesome!!! :D

It really was.  Even if someone sent people to abuse me that day. :P

So small updates for yesterday/today:

Yesterday was a very, very chill day.  I hear birthdays are supposed to be like that. I ended up going for a run, and was all proud of myself, because I tried and new route and was certain it would take me 3 miles.  I felt pretty good the whole time, jogged up to my apartment at the end and.... found that it was only 2.5 miles.  Longer than my previous run by a whooping 1/10th of a mile. D'oh!  So now I have to figure out what to do to get that last half a mile.  Preferably not done by zigzagging through back streets, since that will confuse me more than my unglassesed self can handle.  I may have to run to one of the major squares near by... which brings up the problem of seeing a whole lot of people, but I'll deal with it. 

Then I went to aikido last night, which was fun.  At the end of the first class, the instructor pulled me aside and started talking to me about what she wants me to start working on - mostly using more hips and conserving motion.  But in the mean time, she said that I was looking really good over all and that she was impressed with how far I had come since I started (mind you, I've only been doing aikido for about a year and a half....).  Followed by some trivia with friends after class (3rd place!), it was a nice end to the day.

Today.... today I'm psuedo-resting.  Aikido tonight, but I'm kinda sore still from the Spartan/Monday workout/Tuesday run.  Moving around for aikido the last two nights has been a bit tougher than expected, so I figure giving myself a bit of time to heal more would be wise.  Tomorrow I'll try for another run, though.  Which means that come Thursday, I'll have all 3 of my weekly workouts done.  And then Friday I'll probably do another BW circuit.  Wheee!

• Like 1

Happy slightly belated Birthday :-)  Glad you had a good day!

Happy birthday!

Wheeeeeeeee!! Multiple workouts <3

Oh!

HERPY BIRFDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are you, like 20 now?? ;)

Thanks, ladies!

As for the age part... wait, I can reverse age?!  Can I just say yes to that? And 27 is the answer.  One of the youngest at the dojo.

So, psuedo-plans today.  I want to go for a run.  That's really what I want to do.  However.... i kinda got yelled at yesterday by one of the instructors at the dojo, since I'm a bit beaten down after the Spartan/aikido/every other workout I've done the last few days.  So my shoulder is a bit borked (no idea why) and my knee is killing me.  And getting yelled at isn't quite what happened.  Chastised might be a better term.  The exact phrase used was "This is where youthful exuberance and energy overcomes brain cells."  Whoops.  Can't argue, but it's definitely the first time that charge has been leveled against me (I'm usually the responsible one, at boring costs).  So I'm trying to be responsible.... which might mean a short 2 mile run rather than pushing for the 3 miles.  Just to let my knee recover a bit.  I'll report as appropriate later.

I hit you up on FB, so you know I got your back, RE: herpiness in berfdays.

Note to self: never say herpiness. Ever.

But yeah, whoever said that you should be mindful of your strains and such was not wrong. Yeah, you're young, yeah, you'll heal, but you're not always going to be those things, and if you get in the habit of ignoring injuries in the name of training now, you'll eventually get to a point where you get injured and it doesn't heal. I get going hard and being intense, I really, truly do. But I want to be the hard-charging grandpa someday, not the guy limping around in a walker. If you wanna get to that point, you gotta be mindful.

ehhhhhhhhhh, walk it off, grandpa.  ;)

And RP, sometimes injuries from workouts that hinder your plans for more workouts is evidence of being a bamf.

*goes to hunt Kishi down on The Facebook for the herpiness fun*

I hit you up on FB, so you know I got your back, RE: herpiness in berfdays.

Note to self: never say herpiness. Ever.

But yeah, whoever said that you should be mindful of your strains and such was not wrong. Yeah, you're young, yeah, you'll heal, but you're not always going to be those things, and if you get in the habit of ignoring injuries in the name of training now, you'll eventually get to a point where you get injured and it doesn't heal. I get going hard and being intense, I really, truly do. But I want to be the hard-charging grandpa someday, not the guy limping around in a walker. If you wanna get to that point, you gotta be mindful.

Birthday herpieness sounds like the result of a poorly planned evening....

And yea, I should take it easy.  I did.  Kinda.  I do need to stretch more.  Maybe instead of working out tomorrow I'll just do an extended stretching routine.  I should find an alternative to running, but it's hard to do when you lack a gym where those alternatives are available.

ehhhhhhhhhh, walk it off, grandpa.  ;)

And RP, sometimes injuries from workouts that hinder your plans for more workouts is evidence of being a bamf.

*goes to hunt Kishi down on The Facebook for the herpiness fun*

How about running it off?  Cuz that's what I did.  A short, 2 mile run in a little under 17 minutes.  But hell my calves are tight now.  Actually, all my leg muscles are tight, and my shoulder is still sore.  I'm debating getting a second clay pack to dedicate it to warm treatments.  That'd be good for my shoulder, and hopefully loosen any of the tight muscles I have.

So tomorrow, stretch, walk through the city to meet up with a friend for coffee, possibly buy the new Zelda game for the 3DS, and then back home to job hunt and learn Japanese.

Birthday herpieness sounds like the result of a poorly planned evening....

And yea, I should take it easy.  I did.  Kinda.  I do need to stretch more.  Maybe instead of working out tomorrow I'll just do an extended stretching routine.  I should find an alternative to running, but it's hard to do when you lack a gym where those alternatives are available.

Well... I guess I have to ask this question to every monk... have you considered sprinting? :D

Well... I guess I have to ask this question to every monk... have you considered sprinting? :D

So replace running with.... running?  Running in general will get harder over here once the snow starts coming down.  Unless I start running the November Products with some of the other Rebels.  But I'm thinking it might be hard to drag myself out of bed at 5 in the morning...

Sounds like an awesome day.

You're learning Japanese?

It was pretty chill.

As for the Japanese, yea.  I'm apparently going to Japan with a friend in a few years, so I figured start learning early.  I have enough friends around who are fluent-ish to pick up some more things and practice frequently enough.  I hope.

As for this week though...

So I went running Thursday, and my knee survived.  Then again, I think the ice afterwards helped.  In the mean time, my should started acting up, and apparently my wrist took a nikkyo a bit hard on Wednesday and is now tweaking out.  Then again, this should be expected when you're 'stuck' partnered with a 2nd and 5th degree blackbelt.  At the same time. With the 6th degree instructor smiling while looking on.... and trying to help me figure out WTF was going on.  It was an experience.

So today I took a total rest day - not even aikido.  Give my shoulder is still wonky, I figured playing with weapons might now be the best idea.  Tomorrow I'll probably take off as well, since I do actually want to get better.  Which is testing my willpower to NOT do anything.  But Sunday I'm definitely going to aikido.  Dammit.

Also, though it's not exactly a challenge requirement, I felt proud of myself tonight for making THESE:

photo1_zpse27631c3.jpg

Which led to this dinner:

photo2_zps27758c06.jpg

Because obviously vegetables stuffed with meat and vegetables need to be surrounded by more vegetables.

So replace running with.... running?  Running in general will get harder over here once the snow starts coming down.  Unless I start running the November Products with some of the other Rebels.  But I'm thinking it might be hard to drag myself out of bed at 5 in the morning...

It's not quite like that. Sprinting, by its very definition, is going to burn you out so fast that you can't run it very far. But it's power work, which means that as a movement pattern it offers three advantages:

1. You build your anaerobic threshold
  2. You build some cardiovascular endurance
  3. You literally can't force the same impact trauma on your knees, due to the shortened amount of time.

On the other hand, another way to look at it would be to take a page from Dennis Heenan's philosophy and consider all your workouts to be sprint workouts. In which case, you set your intervals and go through them as fast as possible, whilst doing sprints-in-place in between.

All the above benefits apply, and you don't even have to go outside.

It's just a thought, though. Ultimately, your training is what you do.

Oooh, stuffed peppers! :D Awesome. 

That were/are pretty damned tasty.  Not bad, for a first time around.

It's not quite like that. Sprinting, by its very definition, is going to burn you out so fast that you can't run it very far. But it's power work, which means that as a movement pattern it offers three advantages:

3. You literally can't force the same impact trauma on your knees, due to the shortened amount of time.

On the other hand, another way to look at it would be to take a page from Dennis Heenan's philosophy and consider all your workouts to be sprint workouts. In which case, you set your intervals and go through them as fast as possible, whilst doing sprints-in-place in between.

Hm.  Mayhap.  The issues I have are 1) it's freaking cold out (25F yesterday with 20+mph winds) and sprinting in place in my second floor apartment is likely to annoy the downstairs (and upstairs) neighbors (I've been looked at as odd when I tried to do burpees inside before).  But with the weather getting crappier, I'm thinking it's more and more likely I'll join a gym.  Which will suck, since in a month EVERYONE will be joining a gym.  I'm just hoping that the fact I'll be aiming for the free weights will make it less crowded....

Anyway, week 2 update.  Which will be less awesome than Week 1. Grade: A

Challenge 1:  Spartan Sprint - Survived.  Last week.  It was awesome.  I know it falls under Week 1's purview, but I just wanted to reiterate that fact.  And I got to meet awesome Nerds.  When it's done next year I think we need more Monks, though.  Hint Hint.

Challenge 2: 3 workouts.  One modified Beginner Body weight workout, 2 runs. Grade: A

So I did something to my shoulder and it's annoying me to no end.  I strained something, so I'm trying to take it easy, but I think sleeping on it also is making it worse. Its bad enough that I didn't even go to aikido on Sunday.  Or Saturday.  Or Friday.  And that KILLS me.  I'm going tonight to see how my should holds up/hopefully can get a good stretch during a nikkyo/kote gaeshi pin.  Also, I'm now wondering when I started looking forward to joint locks and pins.

Challenge 3:  Calorie and Protein Goal. Grade: C

This one is a bit wobbley this week.  On the plus side, I definitely hit my 120g of protein a day goal.  On the downside, I kind of devoured everything in sight.  Of the 7 days, I overshot my calorie goals on 3 days.  One day is vaguely acceptable because MFP doesn't calculate the BW workout into my caloric deficit.  But the two others.... I didn't do much and ate a bunch.  Granted, one of those days I was simply starving and my solution was to make a peanut butter and chocolate pudding using greek yogurt and protein powder (Amazing, by the way).  The other... the other was filled with beer and pretzels and smoked sausages and board games.  And Doctor Who - which means I was snacking all during the special.  On banana chips and high quality chocolate.  But still snacking.  So I'm giving myself a C, because protein yes, calories no.  My goal is to not have this issue this week.  Which given that Turkey Day is soon, may be difficult.  Welp, I'll just eat half the turkey.

Challenge 4:  Japanese Lessons.  Grade: F

Whoops.  My motivation for this this week was nil.  I started a lesson, and then put it down and didn't pick it back up.  So later tonight I'm going to try this one again.  On the plus side, I did catch snipits of conversation between my two friends while they were excitedly prattling in Japanese.  Which made one of them very excited. (Their goal is to teach me enough Japanese to get in on their silliness, and then make me speak in the overly dramatic samurai voice.  Pretty sure while they have the boisterous voices, mine will end up being the quiet, subtly threatening one variant).

So things to accomplish this week:  Stop eating so much (yesterday I was staving, but still managed to keep it below 2400 calories), workout without somehow damaging my shoulder even more, and sit down and do my damned lessons.  Easy enough, right?

Are you trying to make me incredibly jealous with the Dr. Who and the banana chips and high quality chocolate?

That sounds like the best evening.

And I spent it at work.

Dr. Who-less.

Alone.

Wah.

Hm.  Mayhap.  The issues I have are 1) it's freaking cold out (25F yesterday with 20+mph winds) and sprinting in place in my second floor apartment is likely to annoy the downstairs (and upstairs) neighbors (I've been looked at as odd when I tried to do burpees inside before).  But with the weather getting crappier, I'm thinking it's more and more likely I'll join a gym.  Which will suck, since in a month EVERYONE will be joining a gym.  I'm just hoping that the fact I'll be aiming for the free weights will make it less crowded....

Oh, right, you've mentioned that before. Okay. Let's try another solution.

So, you don't want to sprint in the cold, and you don't want to sprint in place indoors because you don't like the looks that the noise you make gets you. Fortunately, there is some research to support the idea that power and conditioning benefits can be gained without necessarily making lots of noise. May I suggest, then, working with Century Sets?

Century sets are exactly what they sound like - a set of a hundred of a given exercise. I first saw these taken seriously as application in an ebook by Mike Gilette called The Savage Strength Manifesto. Basically, you pick a pair of exercises. You burn through as many reps as you can on the one until your form fails. Then you switch and do the other one until it starts to fail, then back to the first one.

This can give you power benefits as well, provided that you perform each rep quickly. You cannot go slow on these; gotta think like Sonic on this and go fast. This should actually mitigate any impact on your knees if you're doing, say, squats or something like that, and it should at least give you some benefits in your conditioning, provided that you have no rest times other than switching from one exercise to the next.

And, you know, you don't have to go to a gym that way either.

Are you trying to make me incredibly jealous with the Dr. Who and the banana chips and high quality chocolate?

And I spent it at work.

Dr. Who-less.

Alone.

Wah.

For all those times that you've felt alone, I just want you to know: you aren't alone.

(And yet, you are alone).

(So very alone).

May I suggest, then, working with Century Sets?

This idea.  I like it.  I'll plot to try it tomorrow.

And I spent it at work.

Dr. Who-less.

Alone.

Wah.

*waves banana chips and high quality coffee chocolate at Cheechoe*

So tasty!  And while Nerding all over the 50th anniversary special?  Amaaaaazing.

:P

You rang? And it's November Project. And I get up at 5:50, that is basically 6.

Or you can go to November Project.

And Doctor Who - which means I was snacking all during the special.  On banana chips and high quality chocolate.  

I like bananas. Bananas are good.

In the mean time, my should started acting up, and apparently my wrist took a nikkyo a bit hard on Wednesday and is now tweaking out.  Then again, this should be expected when you're 'stuck' partnered with a 2nd and 5th degree blackbelt.  At the same time. With the 6th degree instructor smiling while looking on.... and trying to help me figure out WTF was going on.  It was an experience.

So today I took a total rest day - not even aikido.  Give my shoulder is still wonky, I figured playing with weapons might now be the best idea.  Tomorrow I'll probably take off as well, since I do actually want to get better.  Which is testing my willpower to NOT do anything.  But Sunday I'm definitely going to aikido.  Dammit.

It sounds like a generally fun experience!  Rest days were a good plan though.  And those stuffed peppers look amazing.

So I did something to my shoulder and it's annoying me to no end.  I strained something, so I'm trying to take it easy, but I think sleeping on it also is making it worse. Its bad enough that I didn't even go to aikido on Sunday.  Or Saturday.  Or Friday.  And that KILLS me.  I'm going tonight to see how my should holds up/hopefully can get a good stretch during a nikkyo/kote gaeshi pin.  Also, I'm now wondering when I started looking forward to joint locks and pins.

Granted, one of those days I was simply starving and my solution was to make a peanut butter and chocolate pudding using greek yogurt and protein powder (Amazing, by the way).

Results?  Did it help?

Can you sleep with your arm and shoulder supported on a pillow?  I have stressed my shoulder a few times and found that placing two pillows at a 90 deg. angle and having my head on one and the arm and shoulder supported by the side pillow really helped.

If you have a food processor, try processing a scoop of whey protein, ~100g of greek yogurt, and ~140 g frozen fruit together.  It makes a sort of fruit ice cream.  Works best with a mix of strawberries and peaches!  I have to try your PB and chocolate version.

Agreed.  I have the ep but can't watch it until a friend and I can arrange a time to watch it together (we have a pact). It and all of the other specials they released sit on my computer taunting me.

Good luck with the shoulder, dude. :( 

I found an image about job applications that was funny and I wanted to send it to you, but it was NSFW so I was gonna save it to send later, and now I can't find it anymore. -__-

Crap! I missed your birthday too!?

HAPPY BELATED:

grumpycatbirthdayfacebook500_18lrnbq-18l

You rang? And it's November Project. And I get up at 5:50, that is basically 6.

Or you can go to November Project.

But, if I go to NP, based on where you (vaguely) live, I'd have to get up at like, 5:45.  That's basically 5:30. :P

Still on the fence, but when AKLulu is in town I may further entertain the option.

I like bananas. Bananas are good.

My single ode to the 9th doctor.  Besides my large ear.

It sounds like a generally fun experience!  Rest days were a good plan though.  And those stuffed peppers look amazing.

Results?  Did it help?

Can you sleep with your arm and shoulder supported on a pillow?  I have stressed my shoulder a few times and found that placing two pillows at a 90 deg. angle and having my head on one and the arm and shoulder supported by the side pillow really helped.

If you have a food processor, try processing a scoop of whey protein, ~100g of greek yogurt, and ~140 g frozen fruit together.  It makes a sort of fruit ice cream.  Works best with a mix of strawberries and peaches!  I have to try your PB and chocolate version.

Agreed.  I have the ep but can't watch it until a friend and I can arrange a time to watch it together (we have a pact). It and all of the other specials they released sit on my computer taunting me.

The shoulder took the class.... okay.  Not great, but okay.  Definitely some twinges here and there, and during pins I asked my uke to go slow.  It was okay, but now even Sensei is semi-concerned for my shoulder.  He said if I come Sunday/Monday next week he'll bring something that'll help my shoulder, provided it's still giving me an issue (I think this means he likes me O_o).  Another instructor was also somewhat mad at me that I don't have health insurance right now (in a state that had mandatory health insurance laws before ACA when into effect).

Anyway, that variant of greek yogurt looks awesome.  I'd just need to get a non-flavored/vanilla flavored whey protein (right now I only have chocolate).

And seriously, the episode was gooooood.

Good luck with the shoulder, dude. :( 

I found an image about job applications that was funny and I wanted to send it to you, but it was NSFW so I was gonna save it to send later, and now I can't find it anymore. -__-

Crap! I missed your birthday too!?

HAPPY BELATED:

grumpycatbirthdayfacebook500_18lrnbq-18l

My left side is full of gimp, I swear.  But I'll survive.

Thanks for the grumpy cat well (?) wishes. :)

The shoulder took the class.... okay.  Not great, but okay.  Definitely some twinges here and there, and during pins I asked my uke to go slow.  It was okay, but now even Sensei is semi-concerned for my shoulder.  He said if I come Sunday/Monday next week he'll bring something that'll help my shoulder, provided it's still giving me an issue (I think this means he likes me O_o).  Another instructor was also somewhat mad at me that I don't have health insurance right now (in a state that had mandatory health insurance laws before ACA when into effect).

Anyway, that variant of greek yogurt looks awesome.  I'd just need to get a non-flavored/vanilla flavored whey protein (right now I only have chocolate).

It sounds like he likes you :-)  You must be a good student. 

Chocolate might work!  Worth a shot anyway.  I tried your PB and Chocolate version this morning for breakfast and it was good.

Chocolate might work!  Worth a shot anyway.  I tried your PB and Chocolate version this morning for breakfast and it was good.

Wow.  I've never had it for breakfast - it's a bit too rich for me that early in the morning.  And I tend to make it so thick I have to loosen it up by adding a small amount of almond milk.  But yea.  Super tasty.