• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

RisenPhoenix

The Spartan Monk, RisenPhoenix

I just did 25 burpees to celebrate Xmas. I'm not alone in this, right?

Guys...

Guys why are you running away!?!

(Real update to come soon, using my brand new shiny laptop that has now replaced my old POS machine. I like toys. Hope people who celebrate had/are having a nice Xmas!)

I just did 25 burpees to celebrate Xmas. I'm not alone in this, right?

Way to go!  I admire your energy on a holiday.  I just did some core exercises and half an hour of that combination of squats and upper body exercise that results in snow moving from the driveway to big piles on the sides.  We didn't get much snow but the plows left a thick layer of compacted stuff that had to be chipped up.

I am glad that you are enjoying the holiday!

Way to go!  I admire your energy on a holiday.  I just did some core exercises and half an hour of that combination of squats and upper body exercise that results in snow moving from the driveway to big piles on the sides.  We didn't get much snow but the plows left a thick layer of compacted stuff that had to be chipped up.

I am glad that you are enjoying the holiday!

Part of my motivation was seeing my brother exercise on my parent's treadmill.  I figured it was kinda dull to just do that, so I did a fairly good body weight workout instead.  As much as I want to start lifting weights, I can't deny that BW workouts are useful and effective, especially if you're in the middle of the woods with no equipment around. So, while not part of the challenge, here's what I did Xmas day:

Lunges, then incline push-ups.  20x3

hip thrusts, then jack knives, 20x3

Burpees, 25 only.

Nothing crazy, but I'm definitely feeling it today.  It feels good.  And I had lots of really tasty food yesterday, with minimal crap.  Except the congo squares.  And cheese cake.  And the beer.  And the chocolate.  But I did make bacon-and-garlic Brussels sprouts of Xmas dinner! (I refused to have a repeat of Thanksgiving, where we had no green veggies whatsoever.)

Also got lots of cooking-gear for Xmas.  Apparently people caught on that I like cooking/my cooking is part of why I've lost so much weight (in the best way possible).  Also, my parent's replaced my laptop, which was about 2 seconds from death.  The damned thing didn't charge any more, the moment it was unplugged it would shut off, and had so much extra crap on it that I dunno how anything functioned smoothly.  Oh, and sometimes it didn't turn on.  Anyway, a nice shiny, high-tech laptop was obtained, with a touch screen.  Which is giving me far more joy than initially expected. :D  Anyway, Xmas eve was lots of running around to see family, Xmas day was presents, followed by cooking, followed by eating and more presents, and then me running to a friend's family party to wish merry Xmas to his folks, and then back home to visit my family next door to steal their desserts.  I also found out that my cousin has an account here.  AND SHE DOESN'T POST OR INTERACT WITH PEOPLES.  My goal is to make her active for the next challenge, instead of just stalking me and others.

Anyway, Week 6 wrap up, followed by my Challenge wrap up.

Challenge 1: 2.5/3 workouts.  I was slightly lame last Monday, but I at least did some push-ups.  Pre-holiday laziness on my part, but my motivation was lacking.  However Wednesday I did a decent BW workout and Saturday, as was evident here, I ran hills with Tin Man in her neighborhood.  Beyond the posting proof, both he and Cheechoe of pictures of me being nigh-dead in Tinny's apartment.  So I think I did fairly well on that front.

Challenge 2: Calorie counting: 5/7 days worked, mostly on target for protein.  So I was doing really well all last week with not eating more than 2000 calories a day.  However I'm certain all of those free calories were destroyed on my Friday/Saturday excursions.  Friday my neighbor had his Xmas party (which I helped decorate for, so I'll claim it was also partially my Xmas party), and then Saturday a certain dinosaur gymnast had her holiday party.  Both were filled with lots of food and beverage (less so on Saturday since I didn't want to kill myself and I had driven, but Raptron's husband did share some awesome mead with me and Tinny).  But it was fun, and well worth the break from the challenge.

Challenge 3:  Japanese lessons.  BWA HAHAHAHA.... Zip this week.  No motivation at all. I need to fix that.

FINAL WRAP UP

Challenge 1: Spartan Sprint:  Result: WIN!  Gain: +2 STR, +2 CON

This was a total win, on so many fronts.  Besides being ridiculously fun, I got to meet so many awesome Nerds AND it just re-energized my motivation in general.  Ska keeps saying I should embrace the (fitness) crazy, and I think the Sprint was the start of me doing so.  I'm totally doing it next year, and I can't wait.  I'm thinking of doing a few other obstacle race courses in the summer, too.

Challenge 2: 3 Workouts per week: Result: A.  Gains:  +1 STR, +1 DEX, +1 STA.

I feel like though I missed some of workouts, I kept the spirit of this going pretty well. What do I mean?  I mean that when I did miss a workout, it was never something that I was okay with.  I always regretted missing it, and I tried even harder the next time I scheduled something to succeed at the routine.  And more importantly, I'm now at the point where I'm getting people who I know to spontaneously ask me about doing a workout with them, and I'm actually accepting it!  Even weirder, I'm getting people to ask me for my exercise advice.  I think I need to brush up on some BW basics to better answer people.  Actually, I think I need to start getting a fitness section lined up in my library... plus maybe some anatomy texts to help with my aikido. 

That being said, I like doing the three exercises a week routine.  I had been doing something 5 days a week, but I think I'm okay with cutting things down to 3 days a week, plus aikido, in the future.  How convenient most weight lifting programs have 3-times-a-week plans.... Hmmmm.    Maybe if I'm feeling overly energetic one day I can throw in some body weight work.  But for now, I think I'm in a really good place for starting something new, with a slightly different focus than crazy weight loss.

Challenge 3: Calorie Counting and Protein: Result: C.  Gains: +0.5 WIS, +0.5 CON.

This one wasn't too great.  Since I had 2400 calories to play with, I definitely had wiggle room, and I allowed myself to indulge probably a bit more than I should have.  But a few small changes to my dinner plans this last week and I was back to just around 2000 calories/day.  Add in the exercise, and I was at least at a 500 calorie deficit per day, so right where I should be to re-lose those last 5-10 pounds.  I really think I want to aim for getting to 190 this time, and once there start up with the strength training.  I do have a friend who was scolding me that I'm being too severe with myself, since he claims that of all the people he's helped train he has never seen someone get bitten by the fitness bug like I have, or so as well as fast as I have.  But in another year, I want to get rid of the squishy gut.  I don't want to have a six pack, but if I can get stronger, that'd be cool.  Pretty sure the skinny-fat will work itself out if I aim for that.

Challenge 4: Japanese Lessons: Result: F.  Gains: None.

I totally dropped the ball on this one.  Early on I saw the lessons be pretty straightforward and simple for me to complete.  A third of the way into the book, and I'm expending a lot more brain power than I initially anticipated.  Which makes sense - I'm really bad at learning languages.  So after spending hours on the computer, burning my brain trying to find a job, my mental reserves to start some more learning that I can't immediately put to use were very low.  So I think I just need to schedule 30 minutes a day to do part of the lessons, and then put it down.  And the next day, do 30 minutes of lesson, and put it down.  I think that'll help not overwhelm me as much.  That's the theory, at least.  (Though one place I applied to recently has it's parent company in Japan.  Maybe I should hurry up and learn Japanese in the hope that it makes me a better candidate....)

Anyway, that's it for this challenge.  I know we have the mini-challenge before the end of the year, but I think I'm just going to try and keep chugging along and not get stressed from dealing with family.  Xmas eve didn't succeed, but Xmas went fairly well.  But I think my goal of getting myself back into the groove of things worked.  Now I just need to finalize my next step, and I can rock the first challenge of the new year!

Ha ha! Sounds like you had an epic Christmas. I'm sure you'll put the new cookware to great use, and I know that working laptop has got to be killer.

All in all, it looks like it was a good challenge. I truly envy the obstacle race, and you've got me itching to get out and do something. And I'm glad to see you found a balance for exercise in your life that fits your schedule and is ultimately doable. You're in a good position for whatever weight-lifting shenanigans you get into.

Adding calories on seems to be an inherently risky thing. Just because; it seems easy to justify poor food choices in the name of getting the calories up. But at least you've gotten to a point where you can try that, and you've seen what works and what doesn't here.

Yeah, Japanese. I've studied it some, but man, it's a hard one. The best advice I ever got was to write down phrases on notecards, using a variety of particles to ingrain the habit and the knowledge, get to the point where you can think in the language.

I'd say you're back in the groove. Good stuff. Way to rock out.

Thanks guys!

Also, it's amazing how bad inactivity feels to me now.  Even with a slightly borked shoulder and knee, I did two body weight workouts while at my parents' place.  The second one was gimpy, but it's something.  But I was so glad to get back home Saturday so I could hit the dojo yesterday morning.  I was a bit more antsy than I thought.

Anyway, I'm planning on several things for the next challenge now.  I weighed if at 213 yesterday (oof), so I have a bit more to lose than I initially thought.  Luckily, I can do it.  So I have plans to get down to 200 pounds, plus read starting strength and get two anatomy books (one which Bigm recommended in chat, and another that I saw in the same series and I am interested in getting).  That should kep me busy the first few weeks of the New year, and then searching out what gym I want to use.  Maybe I'll even get lucky and get a job offer that includes gym access....  I can dream.  

Also, best monky Xmas gift I got?  A friend from the dojo got me three (THREE!!) books on Budo by an author who's quickly becoming a favorite of mine.  One of the first chapters in the book I started reading yesterday?  Martial artists should do a weight lifting program.  Oh yea.

Oh, I made your Brussels sprouts and bacon recipe for the family tonight and it was a bit hit :-)

They are freaking fantastic, aren't they?

Nothing crazy, but I'm definitely feeling it today.  It feels good.  And I had lots of really tasty food yesterday, with minimal crap. 

I also found out that my cousin has an account here.  AND SHE DOESN'T POST OR INTERACT WITH PEOPLES.  My goal is to make her active for the next challenge, instead of just stalking me and others.

Anyway, that's it for this challenge.  I know we have the mini-challenge before the end of the year, but I think I'm just going to try and keep chugging along and not get stressed from dealing with family.  Xmas eve didn't succeed, but Xmas went fairly well.  But I think my goal of getting myself back into the groove of things worked.  Now I just need to finalize my next step, and I can rock the first challenge of the new year!

Again, you demonstrate your dedication by working out while visiting your family and continuing to eat healthy.  Plus you have a balance of healthy eating with enjoying holiday treats. ;).

Tell your cousin to join the Elysian Knights!  We have a great acountabilibuddies group.

Excellent challenge results!  I hope you find a job soon so that you can move forward with the other things you want to do.

You might find this article interesting: 

Using the Knowledge of Biomechanics in Teaching Aikido

I have not read it in detail yet.  Physics is not one of my better subjects, but I strongly suspect that he is on the right track.  Aikido is based on the physics of the human body, not mystical forces.