Eating + Fatigue. Could really use advice!

avis.wendorf

I have been slowly cleaning up my diet for sometime.

We very rarely eat out and no fast food at all. I've given up pop, candy, most junk food, wheat, dairy 99% of the time, and now I'm working on getting rid of all grains minus rice. I'm running into a problem where I seem to get fatigued within an hour or so after eating. It seems to happen anytime of day, no matter what I eat, and it lasts and lasts. I also seem to get pretty foggy ....(well that's pretty normal for me but still...)

I would appreciate any advice. (This makes it so hard to keep up with my 2.5 year old!)

• Like 1

Are you eating too much? Too much of a good thing can make you want to take a nap :)

Possibly a food allergy?

Since you're getting rid of most of your carbohydrate intake, I wouldn't assume hypoglycemia.

Also could be the result of your body adjusting to not having a quick-n-easy source of energy (sugar, carbs, junk foods, etc) and it hasn't quite got on board with the idea that it has to burn fat stores. :)

If push comes to shove, you could always get some blood work done to check your blood glucose levels to rule out any possibilities of a medical cause.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies! I keep pretty close track of how much I eat so I would say that I'm not eating too much. Even small meals seem to have the same effect. Maybe you are right and I just need time to adjust! Jimbo, it is definitely glum around here but this has been going on through the summer. It certainly doesn't help though! I will keep it in mind just in case.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

I have been slowly cleaning up my diet for sometime.

We very rarely eat out and no fast food at all. I've given up pop, candy, most junk food, wheat, dairy 99% of the time, and now I'm working on getting rid of all grains minus rice. I'm running into a problem where I seem to get fatigued within an hour or so after eating. It seems to happen anytime of day, no matter what I eat, and it lasts and lasts. I also seem to get pretty foggy ....(well that's pretty normal for me but still...)

I would appreciate any advice. (This makes it so hard to keep up with my 2.5 year old!)

The reality, if you aren't eating wheat or dairy, is that it probably isn't from food. How much and what types of activity do you do? You could be doing too little, and your circulation could be suffering (thus feeling hazy or tired), your muscles would get tight, etc.. Could be dehydration as well. If you are exercising, drink a gallon of water a day. You could be doing too much exercise, and especially if your body is not accustom to it yet, it'll take some time for your joints and things to get used to it. Another important question: do you smoke?

• Like 1

Try apples, oranges or bananas when you are feeling tired. Or red bell peppers. The sugar and vitamins really help. The effect is especially big when you eat some fruits for breakfast and in the afternoon, when most people have a natural low. Also, well, I don't know what you eat (only what you don't eat), but maybe it simply is not enough. Try adding more red and dark green vegetables to your diet. And fruits, in case you try to avoid the sugar to lose weight.

Is your thyroid gland ok? What about iron? Might be that the fatigue is not related to your diet - maybe it would be even worse if you hadn't made those changes. The thing is: as long as you eat junk food and stuff you kind of expect to feel like crap, but you don't pay any attention to it because you "know" it's the food. Then you change your diet, expect to feel much better and - duh. So there might be something else.

You should also be aware of the side effects of caffeine. Two or three hours after drinking coffee, the effect wears off and you feel even more tired than before you had drunken it. It's the normal aftereffect of adrenalin production. The effect is less drastic when you drink Green or Black tea instead... or simply lots of water.

What about your work out? It can be a challenge, energy wise, to get used to regular training.

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm."
- Winston Churchill

"Constant Vigilance!"

- Alastor Moody in "Harry Potter"

I'm fairly new to using forums..and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to insert a quote here so here is my best try at responding:

Softsoul: I do not smoke and currently I workout on the TRX 4x a week (using the tactical/force app). The workouts are around an hour. I had been working out with a personal trainer for the 2 months prior doing about 45 minutes of circuit training 2x a week plus biking/walking wherever I could fit it in. It's funny you mention circulation as I do actually have some issues there (neurocardiogenic syncope) and I actually get pretty sick & dizzy during high intensity workouts. My blood pressure drops from low to superlow going from lying down > sitting > standing. Do you think that could be part of the issue? I have tried sodium tablets which sometimes take the edge off. And I definitely keep them on hand as well as saltstick capsules.

Waldo/Duality: I try to eat at least 1300 calories and go from there based on activity. I do not keep track of carbs but I will start for sure!

Phlox: I always have those things on hand (bananas, oranges) and they do help! Some of the things I eat during the day are, Chia Pods (fruit, coconut milk, chia seeds), almond butter (sometimes with honey) on a rice cake, eggs cooked in coconut oil, fruits & veggies, alt bars, almond milk, chicken and veggies for dinner. I try to stay away from junk food. There really isn't a lot of variety in my diet right now. Maybe that's a problem? I agree that I could be feeling much worse lol. I do my best to avoid caffeine. Other than almond milk..I stick to water and decaf green tea. I have had my thyroid checked recently and everything seemed to come back ok. Iron though..I don't think I've had that checked in a while. I do know my vit D is low..kind of slacked on my supplement heh oops!

I appreciate all the great advice and I've actually been feeling much better lately although I'm not sure what changed. I will definitely start keeping track of carbs though. Is there anything else that I should keep track of? Thanks again.

Your diet would only be unvaried if the "fruits and veggies" would only be an apple and a carot a day. :P Ususally, our bodies don't need the diet to be perfect. We get rid of cereals, because human bodies didn't evolve to be able to cope with grains. But we can cope with unvaried food and/or a lack thereof. Like greens in winter. Each animal can, that's simply part of the life of a hunter/gatherer.

Maybe it's really just a lack of Vitamin D - it's pretty common in the winter when one doesn't spend a lot of time outdoors. These days, I'm feeling unusually tired, too... It's been cloudy for days, no sunshine at all. I don't know if supplements are a good idea - I don't trust this industry. (After all, most of those supplements can't even be used by or bodies.)  Though I understand that Vitamin D and B12 can really make a difference. (It's pretty easy to supplement B12, but hard to diagnose a lack thereof, so I'd just get some and give it a try.)

Regarding Vitamin D, I'd probably rather go on a tanning bed. Not to tan, but simply to get some "sunshine". Only the lowest dosage possible, as if you were a red-head who doesn't tan at all. :P  I mean, you don't want to get sunburned, cancer or wrinkles etc. If it helps, you know that light therapy can help you (probably more expenssive, but it's also safer in matters of UV). (See: Seasonal Affective Disorder)  Quite often, I find that it already helps to know the cause. :D

Or just take really long walks in the fresh air, if possible. Additional bonus: your 2-year-old will get really tired. :P

Maybe it's a combination of it all - I don't know when you started to change your diet, but it can be strenuous for the body at first. You probably already read it somewhere but: our bodies don't like change. Maybe it's just too fast too much. Try the tanning bed, and see if it helps. Maybe 2 times a week 3 minutes.

Good luck!

- Winston Churchill

"Constant Vigilance!"

Unfortunately, the only answer I can think of is you have to continue to experiment.  I found with myself that limiting certain foods definitely helped with fatigue in the afternoon but it could be different for different people.  I found wheat based products do make me a little groggy for example.

That said, 1300 calories is really low.  I know you said you adjust for activity but its still low.  Consider that most references to starvation levels start at 1200 calories.  It could be you just need to eat more at main meals.

Unfortunately, the only answer I can think of is you have to continue to experiment.  I found with myself that limiting certain foods definitely helped with fatigue in the afternoon but it could be different for different people.  I found wheat based products do make me a little groggy for example.

That said, 1300 calories is really low.  I know you said you adjust for activity but its still low.  Consider that most references to starvation levels start at 1200 calories.  It could be you just need to eat more at main meals.

Only 1300kcals? I missed that. That's really not a lot, especially when you write in your other post that you started to do strenght training, too. Your muscles possibly need more than that, if you are not really really small. In the first weeks, you have to be careful not to let your enthusiasm get in the way of your training. :P

You say you feel better already, so maybe you really just need more time to adjust. You might feel even better when you take a small rest. Hey, you got new pants, so it's time to "pamper" yourself and simply aim to maintain what you already achieved so far. For example, only a 20-30 min bodyweight workout every second day and enough calories, that you don't lose anymore weight for one or two weeks. Like, eat more protein, maybe some smoothies/shakes with banana and coconut-milk, avocados...

I also have a great recipe for low-carb bread here. (My boyfriend and I still eat some dairy and once or twice a week some potatoes, but the only grains are from this bread and it's only the pretty much insignificant amount of 4 tablespoons of shredded wheat in one loaf.) I think it's very practical for a fast breakfast.

I have to go to work now, so I don't have time to convert kg to lbs and celsius to fahrenheit etc, but it's pretty easy...basically:

300g Quark (curd cheese or cream cheese might work if quark isn't available)

100g shredded line seeds

100g finely ground almonds

4 table spoons shredded wheat

8 eggs

1 teaspoon salt

1 package of baking soda (2-3 teaspoons)

and some tablespoons of sunflower seeds, sesame, pumpkin seeds etc

Pour the pretty liquid dough into a form and bake for 90 minutes at 150°Celsius.

I alse just remembered: last year, I had a phase when I was pretty tired all the time, too - turned out it was simply because my immune system was overworked from trying not to catch a flu from everybody else for months. :P Thyme tea and tomato juice for a few days did the trick.

Take care!

- Winston Churchill

"Constant Vigilance!"

I'm fairly new to using forums..and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to insert a quote here so here is my best try at responding:

Softsoul: I do not smoke and currently I workout on the TRX 4x a week (using the tactical/force app). The workouts are around an hour. I had been working out with a personal trainer for the 2 months prior doing about 45 minutes of circuit training 2x a week plus biking/walking wherever I could fit it in. It's funny you mention circulation as I do actually have some issues there (neurocardiogenic syncope) and I actually get pretty sick & dizzy during high intensity workouts. My blood pressure drops from low to superlow going from lying down > sitting > standing. Do you think that could be part of the issue? I have tried sodium tablets which sometimes take the edge off. And I definitely keep them on hand as well as saltstick capsules.

My mom has chronically low blood pressure also. And she has issues with fatigue as well, especially in the joints. It can also cause depression and it can make you really tired. If possible, you should get your thyroid checked as a lot of times the two are related. She has a bad thyroid as well. Yes, sodium can help. Caffeine can also help. If you don't want to take a medical route, you might just do some internet searches on it and try to implement homeopathic remedies. Maybe you should just start eating a half lb of bacon a day.

If you are getting dizzy when standing up, you could very likely be anemic. That is something I have personal experience with. If you start to get this cold, dizzy feeling, seeing stars, etc. Take a multivitamin for a few days and see if it goes away. If you're using a calorie counter, it should track your iron as well, so you're even better off just trying to keep that number up. Hint: Don't over do it with iron. You don't need a huge iron pill with a million milligrams. It'll make you constipated and then everything will suck more.

<3 Softsoul, MD

Thanks for all the extra advice and the yummy recipe! Everyone has been incredibly helpful and I REALLY appreciate it. Hope everyone is staying warm (or cold if that's your thing!) :)

PS.. Jacksson, I have the same problems with wheat and it makes me really mean and grouchy too so I just avoid it altogether. I don't even 'cheat' with it anymore because it never ever ends well.

I think the 1300 calories may be too little, that sounds way low, and it could be affecting you. I found myself eating too little, and had much the same problem, was crashing out in the afternoon and such. The other thing could be you jumped into this head first and may have gone too fast, and it is taking your body time to adjust, and the drop off is a sign of this. One of the key things with healthy eating is not starving yourself, when you eat a meal don't stop eating simply to meet some portion size, if you are still hungry, don't skimp....

The other thing is you may be one of those people who need to eat a lot of smaller meals (I am the opposite, I eat 2 meals a day + will snack if need be), it could be your body tends towards being hypoglycemic. My wife is like that, even though our blood sugars have really leveled out thanks to no sugar, and no grains and limited starchy carbs (occassionally will have corn, bit of rice), she cannot go long without eating something. One of the things with diet and fitness is you have to find out what works for you, while my diet is pretty much paleo, I also don't particularly believe the idea that everyone has to eat 'pure' paleo, it could be you need something that a pure paleo diet doesn't give. I find dried fruit gives me a good pick me up when I crash, or a small handful of nuts, but you might find you need something different, maybe a low carb protein bar or something. The key is to experiment and listen to your own body, one of the problems with many fitness programs is they stress orthodoxy, which is idiotic, it should be what works for you:)