Eirlys - Simple Steps for Overall Wellbeing

Eirlys

• Main Quest - Improve my base health

Fitness Quest - Reverse weight gain and start to get fit again

Life Quest - Rapidly increase my knowledge-base

In previous challenges, I've noticed I:

1. often want to completely change goals after 3 weeks, based on changing priorities

have been too overwhelmed to complete everything I challenge myself to do, due to life circumstances

So I have identified I need to:

1. be less reactive, in general

focus on smaller goals

So here goes on the latter...

1. Look after my teeth - CON +4

My gums have been bleeding a lot recently when cleaning my teeth.

- no sugary food at work

- no more hot chocolate drinks (max: 3 over a weekend if needed, none during the week)

- clean teeth twice a day

- use mouthwash twice a week

I will substitute lemon & ginger tea or hot water at work for hot chocolate drinks.

I need to come up with a strategy for morning teeth cleaning, as I've always believed it's bad to clean teeth right after eating, but I don't have all that much time in the morning.

2. Stand up straight - STA +3

A continuation of my posture challenges.

Monitor at least 10 times a day and adjust if I'm not stood up straight and head is kept up.

Next level: maintain straight back when I'm bending over (e.g. in kitchen doing washing up or bathroom cleaning teeth), and while walking up & down stairs.

3. Take my asthma medicine regularly - CON +2

I've never really got into taking 'the brown inhaler' but apparently my life will be better for it.

Take it twice a day (morning & night), every day.

4. Start exercising again - DEX +3

Gym twice a week.

5. Keep learning - WIS +3

After "sharpening the saw" in the last challenge, I feel that there's so much more I want and need to learn to level up in my career.  Perhaps I should have been doing this 5 or 10 years ago, but what the heck, we are where we are! 

I won't specify in advance what I want to study, as it may change over time.  However, I am signed up to two Coursera courses (Algorithms Part 2 and Inspiring Leadership through Emotional Intelligence), both of which I would like to absorb. 

Eirlys - Long Time Wood Fairy Druid

Current Challenge: S4 (Sleep, Sugar, Spending, Son)

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Done is better than perfect

-- Facebook

Good luck out there.  I like your attitude of 'we are where we are'.  It's true that a lot of things should have started earlier, but it can start now, so start it now.  

Level 2 Warforged Druid

STR: 2, DEX: 1, STA: 3, CON: 3, WIS: 2, CHA: 3

"If these people tell this story to their children as they sleep; then maybe someday they'll see a hero is just a man who knows he is free."

Good night and joy be to you all ~Jitters The. Clown

Current Challange: New Challenges Ahead!

Battle Log: Clowning around daily

Past Challenges: Leveling Up PvP Jump Rope Boss Continue? System Failure Systems Online Calling Rush Confirm Reset Select World Select Difficulty, Select Character, Repairs, Press Start, First Timer, Jump Rope PVP Challenge

I suffer from shifting priorities and variable goals too.  I think it's great you're focusing in on small consistent things that improve where you're at with the time and energy you've got now.

With your teeth, you might try (very lightly) brushing your gums along with your teeth.  I used to have bad gums, but since brushing them, it's really improved them overall.  Don't brush them too hard though cause it can recess the gum line.

Good luck!

~Miranda (aka Farax K)

Stars hide your fires for these here are my desires
And I won't give them up to you this time around
And so I'll be found with my stake stuck in the ground
Marking the territory of this newly impassioned soul ~ Mumford and Sons

I have a posture goal too! Maybe we can help each other stay accountable?

Good luck to you! :)

Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

2013: 6/1/13 - 7/24/13 - 9/15/13 - 11/6/13   2014: 1/5/142/19/14 - 4/9/14 - 6/6/14 - 7/24/14 - 9/11/14 - 11/5/14 

2015: 1/2/15 - 2/20/15 - 4/9/15 - 6/2/15 - 9/10/15 - 10/26/15   2016: 1/1/16 - 2/28/16 - 3/28/16 - 6/6/16 - 9/19/16 - 10/26/16 - 11/26/16   

2017: 1/1/17 - 9/17/17   2018: 1/1/18 - 2/5/18 - 8/13/18 - 11/26/18   2019: 1/7/19   2020: 9/13/20

So glad you're back!  Nice clear goals.  Even small steps are steps in the right direction!

On the tooth front, flossing might help with bleeding gums, and I always make sure I have a SOFT toothbrush.  A trip to the dentist might be helpful if that's an option.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

STR:  11.5 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 12.75 | CON: 7.0 | WIS: 9.5 | CHA: 5

Intro & Challenge Summary

Challenges:   1  2  3  4  5  6 7

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

Glad to see you back, with an excellent set of goals.  I can suggest a couple of alternate hot chocolate drinks that may satisfy the itch without killing your teeth.  I went through the same issue, and still crave hot chocolate sometimes.  Try these:

Rich Mocha Coffee

8oz good coffee (decaf or not, as you like)

1tsp cocoa (dutched will give a mellower flavor)

1tsp honey or favorite noncaloric sweetener; stevia, splenda, etc. (optional)

2tbl heavy cream

Mix everything but the coffee to emulsify the cocoa, then add the coffee.

Cream Cheese Hot Cocoa

1oz cream cheese

80z hot water

1tsp cocoa

1tsp honey or favorite sweetener, caloric or non

Put cream cheese, cocoa, and sweetener in cup and warm in microwave to bring to room temperature or a bit above.  Mix well.  Add a couple of teaspoons of hot water and mix.  You should have a homgeneous thick slurry.  Add a couple of tablespoons of hot water and mix again until smooth and even.  Add the rest of the water and repeat mixture.  Your goal is to slowly drop the viscosity of the cream cheese so it mixes evenly into the liquid, so take it slow.  It you add too much water too fast, you will get lumps of cream cheese.

Level 8 Human Druid

STR 10 DEX 8.5 STA 11 CON 11 WIS 11 CHA 12

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but rather, 'hmm... that's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

• Main Quest - Improve my base health
  • Fitness Quest - Reverse weight gain and start to get fit again
  • Life Quest - Rapidly increase my knowledge-base

In previous challenges, I've noticed I:

1. often want to completely change goals after 3 weeks, based on changing priorities
  2. have been too overwhelmed to complete everything I challenge myself to do, due to life circumstances

So I have identified I need to:

1. be less reactive, in general
  2. focus on smaller goals

So here goes on the latter...

My gums have been bleeding a lot recently when cleaning my teeth.

- no sugary food at work

- no more hot chocolate drinks (max: 3 over a weekend if needed, none during the week)

I will substitute lemon & ginger tea or hot water at work for hot chocolate drinks.

I need to come up with a strategy for morning teeth cleaning, as I've always believed it's bad to clean teeth right after eating, but I don't have all that much time in the morning.

A continuation of my posture challenges.

Monitor at least 10 times a day and adjust if I'm not stood up straight and head is kept up.

Next level: maintain straight back when I'm bending over (e.g. in kitchen doing washing up or bathroom cleaning teeth), and while walking up & down stairs.

3. Take my asthma medicine regularly - CON +2

I've never really got into taking 'the brown inhaler' but apparently my life will be better for it.

Take it twice a day (morning & night), every day.

Gym twice a week.

After "sharpening the saw" in the last challenge, I feel that there's so much more I want and need to learn to level up in my career.  Perhaps I should have been doing this 5 or 10 years ago, but what the heck, we are where we are! 

I won't specify in advance what I want to study, as it may change over time.  However, I am signed up to two Coursera courses (Algorithms Part 2 and Inspiring Leadership through Emotional Intelligence), both of which I would like to absorb. 

Oooh, I like it a lot! It all starts with the "small" things. Great challenge writeup.

Do you plan to combine the teeth routine with the asthma routine? Could work I think.

Why should it be bad to clean teeth right after eating?

Posturewise: by saying that your back is straight when bending you are also saying that your knees are bent I guess?

What kind of grading system will you use?

Oh, and I agree on the flossing - very good for bleeding gums.

Good luck!

I have chosen to believe in myself.

I will be following you. It will be interesting to see how you will overcome your envy to change the goals. I think you really picked nice ones. Good luck!

Level 7 Yogini green witch

STR 3 - DEX 3 - STA 10 - CON 12 - WIS 13 - CHA 6

Previous challenges : 1 || 2 || 3 || 4 || 5 || 6|| 7 || || 9 || 10 || 11

Current challenge : august 2020

Mantra : I am calm, I am love

POSTURE!!! Yes!! Why didn't I even think of that?! Haha, sorry, got a bit excited there.
I love how yoga, especially inversions, are helping my posture, but I have a bit of work to do on it too.

Please remember your inhaler, we don't want you making yourself sick!

www.facebook.com/leahroseaz
Current Challenge: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/40135-roninmoro-starts-talking/
Level 2 Half-elf Druid/Scout
Dabbles in Monk and Assassin
:panda:
Always traveling!

How are things going?  Hope you are nailing your goals; you usually do.

Level 8 Human Druid

STR 10 DEX 8.5 STA 11 CON 11 WIS 11 CHA 12

"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not Eureka! (I found it!) but rather, 'hmm... that's funny...'" - Isaac Asimov

Well hello there. It suddenly occurred to me what was missing from my NF experience - I hadn't read your challenge this time around!

Good to see you doing the stuff. I can recommend flossing as a good antidote to bleed gums. It took me ages to embed it as a habit but I made it a challenge goal last year and that did the job. I'm glad of it too. It is no longer revolting and my teeth have never been happier!

Level 20 Ferret Demon Scout

STR 43 | DEX 21 | STA 49 | CON 30 | WIS 45 | CHA 21

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Valeu a pena? Tudo vale a pena Se a alma não é pequena.

And use a soft Toothbrush!

How is work these days BTW? Are you finding boosting your skills is boosting your confidence?

Challenges: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 #14 #15 #16 #17 #18 #19 #20 #21 #22 #23 #24 #25

Instagram | Wordpress | Twitter | Linkedin | Goodreads | Facebook: *spits* I despise facebook!

Aaah, posture. I've recently become OCD about posture as well, even though it's not one of my current challenge goals.

I like your ideas about straightening your spine at certain times and while doing certain actions. I might steal this idea, actually lol.

Hope you're doing well!

Good luck out there.  I like your attitude of 'we are where we are'.  It's true that a lot of things should have started earlier, but it can start now, so start it now.  

Thanks Jitters!  Better to start now than wait any longer, right :)

I suffer from shifting priorities and variable goals too.  I think it's great you're focusing in on small consistent things that improve where you're at with the time and energy you've got now.

With your teeth, you might try (very lightly) brushing your gums along with your teeth.  I used to have bad gums, but since brushing them, it's really improved them overall.  Don't brush them too hard though cause it can recess the gum line.

Good luck!

Hi Faraxk, thanks for the tip.  I've already brushed my teeth tonight but I'll try the gum idea (gently) tomorrow!

I have a posture goal too! Maybe we can help each other stay accountable?

Good luck to you! :)

Hi Turtle.. sorry I haven't been around to reply so far this challenge!  I hope your posture goal is going well!

So glad you're back!  Nice clear goals.  Even small steps are steps in the right direction!

On the tooth front, flossing might help with bleeding gums, and I always make sure I have a SOFT toothbrush.  A trip to the dentist might be helpful if that's an option.

Hi peggy!  I already floss once a day (for the last two or three years), so I think it's the combo of lots of hot sugary drinks, with lots of sugary food that has caused the recent outbreak of gum-upsetedness.  I definitely agree that flossing makes a mega difference!

I've always gone with a medium, maybe I should look into a soft brush too!

Glad to see you back, with an excellent set of goals.  I can suggest a couple of alternate hot chocolate drinks that may satisfy the itch without killing your teeth.  I went through the same issue, and still crave hot chocolate sometimes.  Try these:

Rich Mocha Coffee

8oz good coffee (decaf or not, as you like)

1tsp cocoa (dutched will give a mellower flavor)

1tsp honey or favorite noncaloric sweetener; stevia, splenda, etc. (optional)

2tbl heavy cream

Mix everything but the coffee to emulsify the cocoa, then add the coffee.

Cream Cheese Hot Cocoa

1oz cream cheese

80z hot water

1tsp cocoa

1tsp honey or favorite sweetener, caloric or non

Put cream cheese, cocoa, and sweetener in cup and warm in microwave to bring to room temperature or a bit above.  Mix well.  Add a couple of teaspoons of hot water and mix.  You should have a homgeneous thick slurry.  Add a couple of tablespoons of hot water and mix again until smooth and even.  Add the rest of the water and repeat mixture.  Your goal is to slowly drop the viscosity of the cream cheese so it mixes evenly into the liquid, so take it slow.  It you add too much water too fast, you will get lumps of cream cheese.

Hi MadScientist!  Thanks for the support and recipe suggestions.  I may try these out some day with vegan substitutes - you can get vegan cream cheese these days! :)  There's several months of winter to go, so I'm glad to have your ideas to hand :)

Oooh, I like it a lot! It all starts with the "small" things. Great challenge writeup.

Do you plan to combine the teeth routine with the asthma routine? Could work I think.

Why should it be bad to clean teeth right after eating?

Posturewise: by saying that your back is straight when bending you are also saying that your knees are bent I guess?

What kind of grading system will you use?

Oh, and I agree on the flossing - very good for bleeding gums.

Good luck!

Hi Eve!  The inhaler/tooth together idea would have been a great one, except I ran into some problems on the asthma goal.  (Will put at the end).  I've heard that if you eat sugary food, then cleaning your teeth right afterwards is like rubbing the sugar on your teeth so can be more corrosive than good... haven't looked too deeply into whether this is true or not (but I guess as my brother's fiance is a dentist, I should probably try finding out!!) 

Posture - I'm not really sure if I'm bending my knees or not - I'll try noticing next time :)  It's like, when you're washing something in the sink, or just washing your hands/cleaning teeth... my posture goes to pot.  (Sitting down posture, especially for eating, is the worst, but I'm saving that for another challenge!)

I haven't really worked out a grading system yet, but I do have a general idea of how I'm performing on the goals (which is cheeky, but right now, will do me).

I will be following you. It will be interesting to see how you will overcome your envy to change the goals. I think you really picked nice ones. Good luck!

Hi Edigo - sorry I've been so quiet of late!  And thanks for your support!

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

-- Facebook

POSTURE!!! Yes!! Why didn't I even think of that?! Haha, sorry, got a bit excited there.
I love how yoga, especially inversions, are helping my posture, but I have a bit of work to do on it too.

Please remember your inhaler, we don't want you making yourself sick!

Hi Roninmoro - do you have a computer/desk-based job?  I think it's so easy to hunch over these days (although I was already bad)!  Glad to hear yoga is helping your posture.  It's one of those things that I've been thinking for the past year I should really try... will check out how you get on with it over the challenge! :)

How are things going?  Hope you are nailing your goals; you usually do.

Hi M. Scientist!  Goals are generally going well - thanks for checking in.  Sorry I haven't been around more!  I hope you're continuing the great progress you've been making over your past challenges!

Well hello there. It suddenly occurred to me what was missing from my NF experience - I hadn't read your challenge this time around!
Good to see you doing the stuff. I can recommend flossing as a good antidote to bleed gums. It took me ages to embed it as a habit but I made it a challenge goal last year and that did the job. I'm glad of it too. It is no longer revolting and my teeth have never been happier!

18ckkkkkk!  Hiiiiiii!  Thanks for looking in!  I'm 100% with you on the flossing.  Although for me it has to be with Oral B Satin Tape.  If I use alternatives I feel like I'm using some horrible piece of string that's too big and uncomfortable!! :)

And use a soft Toothbrush!

How is work these days BTW? Are you finding boosting your skills is boosting your confidence?

2 votes for a soft toothbrush - noted!  Well, it's probably coming up for time to get the next one...

Work - has its plusses and minuses.  My new manager came over and said he was pleased with me last week however, which is good to hear.  In the absence of feedback it's easy to assume the worst!  Will give a general update below :)

Aaah, posture. I've recently become OCD about posture as well, even though it's not one of my current challenge goals.

I like your ideas about straightening your spine at certain times and while doing certain actions. I might steal this idea, actually lol.

Hope you're doing well!

Hi Naxius!  I find the obsessive checking has been quite helpful at raising awareness, and now I seem to be thinking about my posture whenever I walk anywhere, which is a great step forward!  Feel free to steal away and I hope you do well with your posture :)

-- Facebook

Update: 

I've been feeling really, really burned out this challenge.

I'm so sorry I haven't done my usual thing of replying to everybody's threads, I feel really bad about that.  Thank you for your support and encouragement - it's great to know there are so many awesome people out there plugging away at your goals and having time to cheer others on, too!

I wanted to join in on the 6-week challenge because I need goals to work towards, however I will probably continue to be fairly quiet on this occasion, as everything just feels too tiring.  Hopefully I'll be back with a bang in the new year (presumably when the next challenge is) and will be back cheering you on!

Some good things that have persisted:

- the charisma goal from a few challenges ago (where I ask people questions about themselves) is really working

- my confidence has improved a lot since doing more studying, and people are noticing that I seem 'tougher'

- I noticed recently (while separately in choir & in orchestra) that my posture while doing music was awful and kept adjusting it - this is a major improvement as I'd never have even felt it before

This challenge:

- I couldn't find the brown inhaler :( So I have dropped that particular goal.  I think I will replace it with a goal of getting the flat tidy for Christmas

- Dental hygiene is making a massive difference, and the bleeding gums in the evening are almost non-existent

- I've managed to steer away from almost all sugary food around, which has helped stabilise my weight (which shot up to the heaviest I've been in over a year - 60kg - for the start of the challenge)

- Exercise goal not going too well yet, am having trouble motivating myself to go to the gym at the moment!  Hopefully the burned-out feeling will wear off soon!

-- Facebook

I felt burned out last challenge, so I can sympathize. I think you're doing great regardless! :) Keep it up!

Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

2013: 6/1/13 - 7/24/13 - 9/15/13 - 11/6/13   2014: 1/5/142/19/14 - 4/9/14 - 6/6/14 - 7/24/14 - 9/11/14 - 11/5/14 

2015: 1/2/15 - 2/20/15 - 4/9/15 - 6/2/15 - 9/10/15 - 10/26/15   2016: 1/1/16 - 2/28/16 - 3/28/16 - 6/6/16 - 9/19/16 - 10/26/16 - 11/26/16   

2017: 1/1/17 - 9/17/17   2018: 1/1/18 - 2/5/18 - 8/13/18 - 11/26/18   2019: 1/7/19   2020: 9/13/20

It sounds like you've made a lot of progress on the whole confidence at work thing, which is excellent because feeling competent and respected tends to have such a huge effect on our overall happiness. In fact, there's a lot to be proud of there, so we'll done for putting in the effort.

No need to feel bad about not checking in so much. I think as soon as it starts to feel like a chore rather than a helpful resource you should reassess your use of NF until it goes back to being helpful.

Hey Eirlys, no pressure for you to act according to a certain pattern here. NF and the Druids are here for you, not the other way around  :orange: . Take care of yourself and come as often as you want.

Remember to try to get enough sleep and eat regularly…..

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Hi 18ck & Evenewbie - thanks for your support!

Doing these challenges is a great way to learn about yourself - it seems that the chronic advice of "don't take on too much" or keep-it-simple for the challenges is sadly bang on.  Every challenge I find I really get stuck into one goal 100%, and maybe 1 or 2 other goals get a good look-in, too.  But all 5?  Nope!

The problem is, I never seem to be able to predict which goal I jump on in advance!  I'm thinking, maybe I need to play-test my goals in-between challenges to see which one resonates at the time.

This challenge I seem to have dumped the learning (maybe went overboard on that last challenge) and I've only managed to go to the gym ONCE in this time!  Bad drow!

However, the posture, teeth and to a lesser extent tidying the house (replacement for inhaler taking) seem to be going well.  I was pleased that, about 2 or 3 weeks into the challenge, my teeth stopped bleeding every time I brushed them at night.  Having said that, last week they were still hurting randomly, so I can't let up on the goal!

Anyway, that's a quick check-in from me.  Can't wait til the holidays... !!!

-- Facebook

Challenge Summary

- no sugary food at work

I set myself quite a high bar with those four sub-goals, however I basically stuck to this except for a week where I was away!

Am pleased with this, as in a previous challenge, I'd set myself just the top two of those sub-goals as one sub-goal and failed miserably!

Grade B

Did really well with this.  Have started to notice that my shoulders are clenched up all the time, so feel like I'm unravelling the posture problem bit by bit.

Grade A

3. Continue to minimise/get flat tidy - WIS +3

This was a substitute goal after I couldn't find my brown inhaler.

While I certainly wasn't in A-star land, I did donate several bags of stuff to charity, and got rid of loads of paper stacked in the 'to-process' tray, and the house is in an okay state.  Always more can be done.   :)

Grade B

Gym twice a week.

Total failure on this account - disappointed with myself.  Kept waiting for energy to return so I could go to gym, but realised at end of challenge that not going to the gym was responsible for the lack of energy.  So chicken-and-egg.  The cold dark nights were a feeble excuse against popping out to go to the gym, too.

Grade F

Started off on this goal, but felt burned out after last challenge's uber-learning drive, so it all petered out.  Note: don't take things to extremes next time.

Grade D

Overall Challenge: Grade C

Not my finest challenge, but I achieved my goal of healthier teeth and my posture continues to improve, both of which are big steps for me.

Level Up!

Previous Stats:

STR: 15.5 | DEX: 10.25 | CON: 13.25 | STA: 17.25 | WIS: 24.75 | CHA: 18.25

New Stats:
STR: 15.5 | DEX: 10.25 | CON: 16.25 | STA: 20.25 | WIS: 27.75 | CHA: 18.25

-- Facebook

You stuck it out!  That's great.  You also made some really good progress on several goals.

Level 4 Lycan Adventurer

STR:  11.5 | DEX: 6.5 | STA: 12.75 | CON: 7.0 | WIS: 9.5 | CHA: 5

Intro & Challenge Summary

Challenges:   1  2  3  4  5  6 7

Strength is the capacity to break a chocolate bar into four pieces with your bare hands - and then eat just one of the pieces.

Judith Viorst

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines