Melyssa Survives Winter Part I

SunSeeker

I had a really hard time deciding where I wanted to go after my first two Hiking focused challenges.  I spent this week working this out.  I have done all of these things in the past and just need to get back into doing them on a regular basis.  I started the handstand challenge this week and realized how much upper body strength I’ve lost.  I learned first-hand that the older you get, the quicker you lose fitness.  Grrrrr.  So I tried the bodyweight workout as outlined in the Academy and learned that I really do need to start at Level 1 (I really thought it would be way easy, but ended up with some serious DOMs).  I was doing the C25K program earlier this year, but stopped to train for my hike.  I’ve been doing yoga thru the last two challenges and really like how it makes me feel.  The diet is pretty close to how I have been eating; however, I have been deviating way too often. 

I spent my last challenge with the Scouts, but I am thinking this challenge fits in better with the Rangers So a Ranger I will be for my third challenge.

Main Quest:  End Winter Stronger, Faster, Thinner and More Flexible

Winter_zps02cbb581.jpg

We moved to Ohio a year ago and I had a terrible time making it through the winter.  I definitely run off of solar power and Ohio is one dreary, gloomy place during the winter months.  I pretty much just went into hibernation mode.  I will end this winter stronger, faster, thinner and more flexible instead of weaker, slower and fatter!

Goal 1 – Get Stronger

I will get stronger by doing the Bodyweight Brigade Workouts three times a week

A – 3 workouts a week

B – 2 workouts a week (if the skipped workout is due to bad DOMs)

C – 2 workouts a week (if the skipped workout is because I’m lazy)

D – 1 workout a week

F – 0 workouts a week

Goal 2 – Get Faster

I will get faster by using the C25K program three times a week

A – 3 walk/runs a week

B – 2 walk/runs a week (if the skipped walk/run is due to bad DOMs)

C – 2 walk/runs a week (if the skipped walk/run is due is because I’m lazy)

D – 1 walk/run a week

F – 0 workouts a week

Goal 3 – Get Flexible

I will get flexible by doing yoga twice a week

A – 2 yoga sessions a week

C – 1 yoga session a week

F – 0 yoga sessions a week

Goal 4 – Get Thinner

I will get thinner by sticking to Levels 1 thru 7 of the Nerd Fitness Diet.  I am not sure how to grade this goal, but will start with the following (I am really just winging the grading).

Level 1 – Eliminate liquid calories

Level 2 – Swap out Grains with a High protein breakfast or intermittent fasting

Level 3 – Veggies with every lunch and dinner

Level 4 – Eliminate snacks between meals

Level 5 – Eliminate bread

Level 6 – Eliminate most grains (rice, quinoa and beans are okay)

Level 7 – Minimize dairy (okay immediately after a workout)

Bonus Level – Eliminate sweets (fruit is okay)

I will start with 100 points and will lose one point for each level I fail to follow. 

A – 90 to 100 points

B – 80 to 89 points

C – 70 to 79 points

D – 60 to 69 points

F – 59 points and below

Caveat – If for some reason I decide to try some late fall/winter backpacking, those meals are not subject to penalties above.  Thanksgiving Day is a Free Day, but only Thursday and not the whole weekend.

So this is my third challenge.  Anybody see any problems?  

• Like 2

Week 1 Monday

BWW -- did the BWW A workout  (1/3)

C25K -- did week 1 day 1 walk/jog (1/3)

Yoga -- no yoga today (0/2)

Food -- didn't break any of the rules, so I didn't lose any points (100/100)

Great start to the challenge.  Hoorah!

Notes on BWW A.  I am doing the following exercises as a circuit.

Pushups -- I am doing these with my hands elevated on a short bar stool.  I have always done pushups with my hands wide and I'm really focusing on keeping my hands closer and my elbows tucked in to my body.  I hurt my shoulder pretty bad a few years ago and I was told my years of doing wide pushups may have contributed to the injury.  I find these to be much harder than the wide ones, but I will get stronger.  I did three sets of 10, 10, 8.

Squats -- My problem here is my legs don't ever feel fatigued or maxed out.  Last week I did 3 sets of 25 without having any problem and felt I could do many more, but the next day I had some serious DOMS.  I don't mind getting sore, but not that sore.  So, Monday I cut back to 3 sets of 10. Not sore at all today, so next time I will up it to 15.  I will figure out where I should be on this exercise.  

Jumping Jacks -- One minute at a very slow cadence.  I will work on increasing the cadence until I can do the whole minute at a normal Army cadence.

Planks -- It says to do as long as you can or max of 30 seconds.  I did 30 seconds and found this to be fairly easy.  I will start increasing this right away.

I forgot to do my Handstand work last night.  :(

Tuesday: yoga and eating according to my plan

Rawr!  Go Melyssa!  Rawr!  Rawr!

Yeah, I don't like winter either.  Mainly *I think* I am allegric to cold.  Being cold that is.  It has triggered asthma and brought on headaches and migraines for me in the past.  Maybe I can find a job in Haiwaii...  *wishful thinking*  ^_^

Good Luck and Have Fun!  Rawr!

Challenge: #1  #2  #3  #4  #5  |  Recipes  |  Level 6.  Kiwi Bird:  Rawr!   |  Team

Blogs I stalk:     Mark's Daily Apple  |   Nom Nom Paleo  |  Ancestral Chef  |  Greatist  |

I'm a snow bunny so I can't be there with you on the hatred of winter but I love your goals!

They all seem pretty realistic and achievable so you're good there. Nice seeing you scale back the squats, it's always a process of trial and error to find your fitness level.

Keep it up!

Race: Dwarf Class: Ranger Level: 3

STR: 9 | DEX: 7 | STA: 9 | CON: 6 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 8

Current-5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you

Awesome job Melyssa! :encouragement:

Thought the whole procrastinating thing on the way to cleaning the kitchen was seriously funny! Did you get it done? lol

Have an awesome Wednesday!

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

I was like where is Melyssa's challenge.  Then I figured out you switched to rangers.  Looks like a great challenge and looks like a great plan to start off winter with.

Thought my challenge was more in line with the Rangers this time around.  I will probably end up hopping around a lot.  We have snow on the ground....humph.  

Rawr!  Go Melyssa!  Rawr!  Rawr!

Yeah, I don't like winter either.  Mainly *I think* I am allegric to cold.  Being cold that is.  It has triggered asthma and brought on headaches and migraines for me in the past.  Maybe I can find a job in Haiwaii...  *wishful thinking*  ^_^

Good Luck and Have Fun!  Rawr!

Move south!!!  That's my goal.  My husband has asthma and we both have bad allergies.  We did much better living in Texas.  When we moved back to Ohio, we both started having problems again.  Our plan is to get back south as soon as we can.

Have you ever tried a humidifier?  We are going to try it to see if it helps.

I'm a snow bunny so I can't be there with you on the hatred of winter but I love your goals!

They all seem pretty realistic and achievable so you're good there. Nice seeing you scale back the squats, it's always a process of trial and error to find your fitness level.

Keep it up!

I am surrounded by snow lovers.  lol  I am trying to be patient as I dial in the fitness level.  

Awesome job Melyssa! :encouragement:

Thought the whole procrastinating thing on the way to cleaning the kitchen was seriously funny! Did you get it done? lol

Have an awesome Wednesday!

I cleaned up the kitchen, but did "clean" the kitchen.  Does that make any sense?  lol

My Wednesday is going good so far.

that looks like a good start!

I feel you on the squats. usually it's my knees that are unhappy the next day, but when I'm doing them, I feel like I can just keep going. Have you thought of somehow making them more difficult/challenging?

How would I make a squat more difficult?  By adding weights?

Change of Plans already.

For some retartded reason, I decided to take a seasonal job thru Christmas at UPS to make a little extra money.  Today was my first day and I basically am moving packages from point A to point B.  After the mandatory videos, I load boxes into brown trucks.  Some of them were quite heavy and it seemed that most of them went on the top shelf.  I think my arms are going to be quite sore tomorrow.  So I am going to count work as my BWWs for the time being.  I will adjust this as I figure out what my body is able to handle.  I feel like I am getting paid to work out.  Woohoo!  I may up the yoga/stretching as I think this will help  me adjust to this new activity level.  

I like that you made thanksgiving a free day but not the whole weekend :) 

you got this melyssa!!

Level 10.4 Wood-Elf, Ranger - specializing in demon fighting

"doing the impossible since 2012 :D" - Librarian of Doom

facebook battle log level 50 WOOT   Backstory CNF2014  current (not challenge - doing a battle log this time)

Spoiler

* This is the day the Lord has made, rejoice in it and be glad. God, The Bible. * Do or do not, there is no try. - Yoda
* There are three options in this life; be good, get good, or give up. -- House * Never take counsel of your fears. Stonewall Jackson. 

* level 50 isn't gonna just POOF happen - alienjenn, NF IRC chatroom

* I'm not about to give up - Because I heard you say - There's gonna be brighter days… I won't stop, I'll keep my head up - No, I'm not here to stay ...  - 

I just might bend but I won't break - As long as I can see your face - When life won't play along - And right keeps going wrong - And I can't seem to find my way - I know where I am found - So I won't let it drag me down - Oh, I'll keep dancing anyway - Mercy Me - Move

Move south!!!  That's my goal.  My husband has asthma and we both have bad allergies.  We did much better living in Texas.  When we moved back to Ohio, we both started having problems again.  Our plan is to get back south as soon as we can.

Have you ever tried a humidifier?  We are going to try it to see if it helps.

Mmm, I think I am already in the South... just below the Mason–Dixon line... 

I have been using my humidifier for the past couple of days and it seems to help.  Mine is a warm mist one from Vick's though.  It supposes to be a lot better than the cold mist ones because it helps to warm up the room with moist air.  We'll see!

Ooo, good luck with UPS!  All those presents gotta go to nice homes!  Rawr!

Challenge: #1  #2  #3  #4  #5  |  Recipes  |  Level 6.  Kiwi Bird:  Rawr!   |  Team

Blogs I stalk:     Mark's Daily Apple  |   Nom Nom Paleo  |  Ancestral Chef  |  Greatist  |

Good Luck on the job! :encouragement:

Yep, I agree, that must be a workout for sure! You are lifting weighted things! Just be careful and don't hurt yourself, that can be hard on the back!

Have a wonderful Thursday Melyssa!

Level 6 Pixie Assassin Rangerish Adventurer
Current Challenge: Guess What??
Previous Challenges:

Spoiler

1st 2nd 3rd 4th 5th 6th 7th 8th 9th 10th 12th 13th 14th  Battle Log
-We can't always change the things we've done, but we can change what we do next.

-I don't have a choice. I deserve a better life and this is what I have to do to get there.
-Whatever doesn't kill me....Had better start running.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines