Garjan: Duelist Qualifications

Looks like a great week despite the challenges :)

But apart from that, I lifted before practice (just to minimize the urge to hit things).

HA

THIS is totally why I lift :D

BlackWidowEowyn

Lvl 6 Hobbit Assassin

"Obstacles can't stop you, problems can't stop you. Most of all, other people can't stop you. Only you can stop you. " – J. Gitomer

"A vision of a champion is someone who is bent over drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching. "– Anson Dorrance

My kick in the Pants, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5

@missmajachere

There are worse problems to have. :tongue:

Haha yeah I know. But I am at the point of obsession where even my coaches laugh. Well, one understands because he's awesome. The other walks into the gym and goes "What? You're still hitting the practice dummy?" then shakes her head when my response is "Well, I did take a break to do some footwork..." (This totally happened today)

Looks like a great week despite the challenges :)

HA

THIS is totally why I lift :D

Thanks! Lifting progressively heavier things makes everything better. Especially when you lift enough to get the jittery shaky muscles and feeling of accomplishment after.

Also - I've had my motivation for my last two college semesters posted just above my computer screen. Really helps me focus on rough days (or get going on days where I don't feel like working out...)

Motivation

Dry January | 2022 Reading Challenge

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

"I Find That Answer Vague And Unconvincing." - K-2SO, Rogue One

”Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome.” [spoilers], The Book of Boba Fett

Monday

Finished studying and took my exam. It was almost exactly like the hw problems I practiced with so I feel pretty confident about that grade. Also finished editing my paper, just need to look over it one more time before I print. Went to the gym after my exam to lift and work on some fencing skills since we didn't have practice today. Heard coach was on the warpath so I decided to lift first...

• Warmup w/ 500 m stationary row. About 2 min 20 sec (ish? I forgot). Then foam roller.
  • 3 x 5 db squat jumps (15 lb dbs), 5 bw squat jumps. Squat jumps with dbs were sloppy. I think I'm going to go down weight next time or do the bw first as a form warm-up before adding weight
  • 3 x 6 walking db lunges (12.5 lb dbs). Did 3 ea leg forwards then 3 ea leg backwards. It's so much harder going backwards, even when you have a mirror to watch where you're going.
  • 3 x 6 ea leg split jumps (basically go into lunge position then switch legs by jumping)
  • 3 x 10 inverted rows
  • 3 x 5ea push-ups w/ 1 arm on MB
  • 3 x 8 Hammer forearm rotation exercises (w/ 2nd smallest hammers, choked up a bit on the grip)
  • 5 x 30 sec plank (normal, right arm up, left arm up, right leg up, left leg up, normal)
  • Stretching w/ bands

After that I entered the gym (& said hi to coach). Floor was a bit slippery so I just did simple footwork along the short side of the basketball court. There were some guys playing basketball otherwise I would've tried to take a video of the footwork... Maybe next time.

• 2 x Advance up, retreat back
  • 1 x Advance, Advance, Retreat up/ Retreat, Retreat, Advance back (changing speed/pattern of steps)
  • 5 Lunges
  • 5 Adv Lunges

Footwork was a bit painful because my quads started protesting the squat jumps from earlier. Next I went over to the dummy. Blah blah blah blah fencing speak ;)

Dummy specifics: Started with a few lunges and advance hits to warm up my shoulder (good thing cause my point was everywhere first few hits). Then I worked on my prime, first stationary then moving. (Prime is where you rotate your arm as you sweep the guard up near your head to catch the opponent's blade. Your blade is pointing down and you use your thumb to direct the point into their torso.) Next I did some flicks (pretty much what it sounds like, quickly move the wrist and stop short so the momentum bends the blade and the point hits the target) both standing still then advance + air flick then lunge w/ straight hit on target.

Fencing skills training was probably about 30 min. My forearm was dying by the time my coach came out to tease me for working too hard. Then I ate chicken and it was delicious. And now I shall watch the new Doctor Who.

• Like 1

"Always remember, your focus determines your reality." - Qui-Gon Jinn, The Phantom Menace

”Persistence without insight will lead to the same outcome.” [spoilers], The Book of Boba Fett

Was mostly lazy bum Tuesday, Wednesday & Thursday. By which I mean I didn't work out much besides wandering around town and doing some stretching.

Did a "workout" this morning, but I always have problems adapting to changing locations. I love the weight room at school (bright, lots of mirrors and weights). Working out in my parent's basement is just so grey, dusty and depressing. Dusty cement floor was not working with me today. I wouldn't say I worked out so much as played around then stretched.

Warmup on rowing machine - 500 m in 2:08 min

Dynamic stretching (hip openers, lunges, side lunges, arm circles)

MB Pushup - 5 (both hands on MB)

Chin-Up attempts - got one but I think I helped myself up too much by jumping, nearly got another but chin was a few inches away from the bar. Took a break then attempted a dead hang (used legs to get momentum to reach bar).... sooooo close

Plank workout (45 sec normal, 30 sec ea w/ one arm up, 45 sec normal)

Then did a good 15 min at least of stretching everything.

Week 3 Review:

Acrobatics: Really only worked out on Monday and Friday. Did footwork and some explosive leg exercises on the Monday. My basement floor was too dusty to safely get some footwork in. I'll need to go down there with a vacuum or something for winter break. We also did not have practice last week so no supplemental work from going to practice either. ( C )

Mobility: Stretched Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. Did some wrist and shoulder work in the gym, and rolled out my ITB a couple of days. Not much on the ankle flexibility/stretching but pretty decent for having skipped a number of workouts. ( A- )

Perception: Took the (nearly a) week off from school and practice to relax. Hung out with a few friends (drinking way too much and staying up way too late) on Tuesday. Then just kinda chilled with various family members Thursday through Sunday. And I didn't even skimp that much on my studies. Got some stuff done without stressing too much about it. All in all a great relaxing weekend. ( A )

For the next few weeks I need to work through and minimize the typical finals week stresses.

Also I've been making a TON of progress with my lingering social anxiety. Only problem is one of my closer guy friends asked me out (I kinda was wondering if he was interested but wasn't entirely sure). Problem is I'm not into him and now I don't know what to do. I mean, I'll tell him the truth obviously but if he takes it badly and it becomes awkward, etc I'll feel bad. Guess I just gotta figure out how to let him down gently... ugh guy problems

Looks like you had a great weekend :) ... and this is from a post way back but YAY FOR DOCTOR WHO! :D

I'm with you on the adapting to changing locations. It makes me say "eh I'll do it another time" but then I never do. One thing I started doing that helps me is planning my workouts ahead of time. Then I'm almost excited to get at it... but if I have to decide in the moment, I usually end up not doing much. Of course this only works when I know ahead of time what the space and equipment will look like...

anyway

Keep up the great work :)

BlackWidowEowyn

Lvl 6 Hobbit Assassin

"Obstacles can't stop you, problems can't stop you. Most of all, other people can't stop you. Only you can stop you. " – J. Gitomer

"A vision of a champion is someone who is bent over drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when no one else is watching. "– Anson Dorrance

My kick in the Pants, #1, #2, #3, #4, #5

@missmajachere

Thanks! I've contacted a few friends from back home to get a group together at a local fencing club. More people means more accountability to actually show up and practice.

Other than that, I've found that putting on my workout gear and wandering around the house in it usually motivates me enough to do something other than sit around on my butt.

The week between Christmas and New Years I'll be away visiting family with no gym/fencing access. Currently putting together a bodyweight routine and plan ahead on what days I will do it. Trying to figure out a good balance between having fun and not being overambitious (and eventually discouraged) with my workout goals. Once I finish that planning I'll post the prospective routine/schedule for critique ;)

Yay another fencer!  It seems we also follow similar ways of training (although I don't hit the practice dummy for quite so long). 

Keep up the good work with the foam rolling and the gym workouts.  I see you are doing lots of box jumps and squat jumps which are really good for developing the fast twitch muscles you need for speedy footwork.  Outside of normal fenicng training I always try to do about 10 minutes of footwork after every gym session before I streach, I know its not long but every little helps.  Doing 20 squat lunges in a row however burns!

Something to aim for perhaps......

Good luck with the training over the hollidays :)

Level 1 Human Ranger (who occasionally delvs into monkhood)

Sawen - challenge accepted

'Within each of us is the secret wish that we were born for greater things, have superhero powers, or simply haven’t been given the chance yet to defeat the forces of darkness' - GT

Yay another fencer!  It seems we also follow similar ways of training (although I don't hit the practice dummy for quite so long). 

Keep up the good work with the foam rolling and the gym workouts.  I see you are doing lots of box jumps and squat jumps which are really good for developing the fast twitch muscles you need for speedy footwork.  Outside of normal fenicng training I always try to do about 10 minutes of footwork after every gym session before I streach, I know its not long but every little helps.  Doing 20 squat lunges in a row however burns!

Something to aim for perhaps......

That is intense! I definitely need to step up my workout routine so I can get to that level. Thanks for the link! I'm definitely excited to find another fencer on here.

Adding more footwork is good advice, especially since I feel like I've been neglecting it lately. I always mean to spend some time after practice, but at practice we usually fence until we are kicked out of the gym. My coach is helping me put together a quick routine while I'm waiting to fence someone and then for when I go home. Lots of lunges, advance lunges and flesches with a focus on getting that extension out there. A routine as quick as 10-15 minutes would be easy to do each morning when I wake up.

Squat jumps and burpees will also be a key component of my holiday workouts. Usually I hit the practice dummy for so long because I get so focused on what I'm doing that I don't stop until my arm protests further practice.

You would need to step it up a lot to reach that level as its the Italian sabre team who won bronze at the last Olympics :P Its still cool to watch and fun to try though.  If you have been fencing for 8 years you know as well as I do that footwork is the key.  I dont have a set routine I just make it up for 10 mins while making sure I throw in a bit of everything and changes in tempo. 

It sounds like you have a good plan for the holidays, I only hope I can stay as focused as you :)

I'm quite excited to find another fencer as well.  I'm focusing more on general fitness at the moment but it is good to have someone who knows the sport, and sound ideas off of.

Level 1 Human Ranger (who occasionally delvs into monkhood)

Sawen - challenge accepted

'Within each of us is the secret wish that we were born for greater things, have superhero powers, or simply haven’t been given the chance yet to defeat the forces of darkness' - GT

Week 4 Review:

Can't believe we are already into the 5th week. Just gotta get through the next two weeks of finals and I have a mental break to recover from this semester.

Acrobatics: Went to practice on Monday and Wednesday, but did no extra training/lifting. I need to get over my reluctance to train the week leading up to tournaments. Good news is that the fencing competitions on Friday and Sunday went really well. (Forgot to tape myself though so no videos...) At the tournaments I did really well with keeping my movements up. I slowed down a bit near the end, but managed to recover and speed back up for the final round. No training, but lots of work. ( C )

Mobility: Stretching routine went down the tubes this week as well. And I am definitely feeling the lack of stretching in my ITB and calves. Worked on it more towards the end of the week, but my knee was still killing me at the end of fencing on Sunday. Stretched, got some ice and have been heating it so hopefully that will sort itself out soon. The cold weather probably doesn't help. ( C )

Perception: Probably the only thing I really did well this week. Had some stress due to a few of my guy friends deciding to ask me out within days of each other. Got that managed with some advice from a few of my best female friends. Was a bit nervous for the fencing tournaments, but managed to keep my head in the game for that as well. Now I just need to buckle down and work to get through finals. ( A )

Stretched and heated my ITB yesterday. Was supposed to lift but instead I got some studying done and went for a few drinks with some friends.

Today I got more studying done, then headed to the gym with a friend.

• Warm up on concept rower - 500 m in 2:05 min
  • Bench Press - 2 x 10 w/ 55lb, 65lb; 1 x 6 w/ 75 lb
  • Box Jumps - 3 x 8 w/ 24 in box (added 1 mat per set. can start with 3 mats next time)
  • Hanging Leg Lifts - 3 x 10
  • Band Assisted Pull-Ups - Almost 1 without band!! Also 4 with thin black band, 10 with thick black band
  • Planks - 3 x 45 sec (1 normal, 2 w/ lifting one arm for 25 sec)
  • Hammer Forearm Rotations

The head athletic trainer complimented my progress on my lifts, which is awesome. I'm really starting to see improvement which feels fantastic. After lifting, we headed over to the gym we fence in to do footwork.

• 2 Advances, 1 Retreat // 2 Retreats, 1 Advance (3 min, then 2 min rest)
  • Quick retreats, lunge when random timer goes off (1:30, then 2 min rest)
  • Mixed footwork w/ flesches thrown in (3 min, then 2 min rest)
  • 10 Lunges
  • 10 Advance Lunges

Just a quick post to show I'm not dead procrastinating. Two finals on Wednesday and working on my 2nd (and final) report. Sitting down for nearly 3 consecutive days has proven to drive me mad (and make my back hurt like hell. I'm 22, seriously I should not have this problem).

So when my roommates come back from wherever they were last night this is what they'll find in the kitchen:

Makeshift Ergo Desk

Standing desk made wonder for my back, but the height was not optimal for my wrists and standing up for 8-10 hours a day kinda hurts feet too. I should cut down internet/computer time for sure :D

This challenge is over now, care to give us your wrap-up? :)

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

Standing desk made wonder for my back, but the height was not optimal for my wrists and standing up for 8-10 hours a day kinda hurts feet too. I should cut down internet/computer time for sure :D

This challenge is over now, care to give us your wrap-up? :)

Yeah I wasn't standing for too long, but I'm sure any position in front of the computer for a long time isn't the best.

Also sorry I completely forgot to post. Finished up my last week of finals without too much pain, apart from a problem with one of my flatmates. She's nice enough, but hasn't been the easiest person to live with and school stress kinda made her snap. She's moving out though so hopefully we can find someone easier to live with to fill her space. And now I'm on holiday in the UK visiting family so updating completely slipped my mind.

So I haven't really lifted since my last post. Week 5 didn't do much but hole myself up in my room to finish my finals. Week 5 gets C, D, B for agility, mobility, and perception.

Week 6 I got two good nights of fencing in at home. Was aiming for 3 but missed one day. I did get in a footwork workout on my own so still managed to get something in. Agility B, Mobility B, Perception A

Overall Summary

Agility - C = +1 DEX, +1 STR

Mobility - B-/C+ = +3 DEX

Perception - B = +4 CHA

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines