Interesting setup with the chunks. Gl & hf with the challenge

Thanks!

Thanks Kishi, that link is helpful. It does confirm what I was suspecting: I need to do a lot more bridging before my kip-up will look like something worthy of being called a kip-up.

Rawr! Rawr! I found you now! Good Luck! Keep Moving! Show them what you are made of! Rawr!

Hi kiwi! And yes, ma'am!

Way to go, mom for trying, though! That's awesome! :)

I mentioned it to her when we ran into each other afterwards, and after an initial "Wait, what? How come the Texans know about what I did last Saturday?", she said you have her thanks.

"Stagnation is better than deterioration'

Yep, in a technical sense I completely agree. For awhile anyway, lol. But, plateaus are eventually pushed through and so will you! ^_^

Just a matter of time!

Convict conditioning takes time. Especially with the pulls; in fact, I think Wade actually doesn't tell the full truth when it comes to how long progressing the pulls actually takes.

I'm not too worried about stagnating right now; it's not like I'm in a hurry to reach a certain milestone or anything of that sort. I can almost surely trace this specific instance of stagnation back to my shifted strength training timetable: my rest days aren't devoid of exercise, they're my martial arts days. (And on Tuesday itself I had extra martial arts lessons.) This timetable issue will take care of itself by the end of this week, and afterwards I'm hopefully back to my… uh… ascent.

Ha! Working in an ER, my brain totally read "std" as something else...

<.<

Day 3 (Wednesday, 2013-11-13)

Very restless and mildly stressful day. I woke up groggily on that morning, earlier than usual but still late for what I had intended to do. That day was the first day I had to prove my manliness, so I went under the shower to prove my worth. After posting about it, I was off to the first highlight of the day: teaching another martial arts lesson.

This martial arts lesson included a very green greenhorn. Like super green. Greenhorns are fine and dandy, and I'm not blaming any greenhorn for being green, but… this wasn't exactly the kindest thing to unleash upon a sleep-deprived person who had taken a cold shower against his will just prior to this. So yeah. I finished up the lesson, walked over to the next teacher's office to hand over the key to our dojo, and then headed home.

At this point, whatever attention I had left over went to hell, and I spent the next few hours contemplating about the size, the shape and the color of my ceiling. I remember undigging my old blog software from way back then and lamenting about why I never followed through with it, but that's about the clearest memory I have from that afternoon.

At 6.30pm my Mom dragged me to martial arts class yet again, so I attended my fourth lesson in just over 24h. And I performed at my worst. But no one seemed to notice. Go figure.

Afterwards, I tried to get back to blogging and extra sports activities, but my head said no and started aching out of protest. So I went to bed early.

• traditional: (2/2)

• lights out by 11pm, asleep by 11.30pm
    • meditate, then get ready, then start work
  • body: (1/3)

• martial arts practice (extra lesson)
  • future: (1/2)

• salvaged parts of my 2-year-old homebrew blogging software for re-use in the next iteration

I read that cold showers are great for increasing heat transfer response and burning extra calories.  Ice baths are next right?

Awesome.

There is some truth to that. The body has to burn some energy in order to regulate the temperature. Supposedly, the exposure to the cold also induces certain adaptations in adipose tissue which cause more of it to burn, but I'm not sure how much I believe that.

Day 4 (Thursday, 2013-11-14)

A much-needed rest day. My body, and in particular my voice (!), are grateful.

I took a partly-cold shower again, as promised. I spent the day reading NFR a lot. I watched LP's. I chatted with old and not-so-old friends. I strength trained (though late at night). What I didn't do is prepare for the future. That's 100% my own fault.

I also thought about my performance in the last few days. While I hope that I can eventually do 3 body chunks and 2 future chunks per day, as of now, it's not working. Thinking about tomorrow's timetable, it's going to be difficult getting those chunks in, since Fridays are my most intensive days, as far as extracurricular activities go.

So my conclusion is that I'm trying to play at a higher difficulty level than I am currently able to handle. Which, since this challenge is supposed to challenge me, not overwhelm me, isn't the best thing to do. So, retroactively, for the first three weeks of this challenge, I'm going to lower my requirements for body and future chunks to two and one, respectively, with the prospect of increasing this by challenge week number four. In fact, if you notice that I'm having "too long a streak of fully completed days" (whatever "too long a streak" might mean to you), do call me out on it and ask to increase the requirements.

And finally, in my timezone it's around 12am right now. Which means technically, I'm failing tomorrow's "lights out" goal. I don't care. I'm still gonna count this as a success. Yes, I'm feeling rebellious today. In Cheechoe's words: Yeah… about that. I'm not sorry.

• traditional: (2/2)

• lights out by 11pm, asleep by 11.30pm
    • meditate, then get ready, then start work
  • body: (2/2)

• bodyweight strength training
    • bodyweight strength training
  • future: (0/1)

Specifically (see legend):

• Level 2 horizontal pulls: 10/8/NA (+1/0/NA, beginner+)

I failed midway on number 8½ on set #2. So yeah. On the bright side, I'm now also officially at the beginner standard for horizontal pulls. (Wait, how is that a bright side? I'm still a beginner…)

• Level 4 flat frog (leg) raises: 26/26/26 (−4/+4/+4, progression+)

Woohoo! Progression! About time!

Please ignore the -4 in set #1, I was trying to work out with music in my ears. Messes too much with my breathing rhythm and my counting.

• Level 3 knee push-ups: 20/12/NA (+4/+1/NA, beginner+)

Fudge.

So I "cheated" myself to 20 repetitions during set #1 by taking longer breathing breaks between repetitions, after the 13th one (coincidence…?) or so. Then, during my 3-minute break between the sets, I re-checked the book: the cadence is 2-1-2 down-rest-up, immediately going back down after getting up. So I tried set #2 that way. And yeah, you see the results.

• Level 5 full squats: 30/30/NA (0/0/NA, progression)

The usual. Still on hold until the rest catches up a bit more. I think I did 40 in the first round, but I'm not entirely sure. My legs are sore nonetheless.

• Level 1 short bridges: 30/30/30 (NA/NA/NA, intermediate+)

Starting on these because of my painful experiences with kip-ups.

From a first impression, these short bridges don't seem physically difficult to perform, but I think my muscles are growing tired (stamina-wise) because I'm not used to performing quite so many of these thingies. It sucks to grow tired from such a non-strenuous exercise, though.

Also, is it just me, or is this actually a very perverted-looking exercise? For guys even more so?

So much extra training! You may be tired of it, but I'm envious myself.
I've had more intensive runs of training sessions before, and I do enjoy them. But I usually gradually ease myself into this. This one was just a little too much to handle at once. (>_<)
Man, you on on a role so far this challenge. … Keep it up, M! :)
Eh, only if you ignore the non-workout parts. And even then, eh… But thanks anyway, and will do.
Plus, your ceiling must be highly interesting.
…or not. <_<;
I read that cold showers are great for increasing heat transfer response and burning extra calories. Ice baths are next right?Awesome.
There is some truth to that. The body has to burn some energy in order to regulate the temperature. Supposedly, the exposure to the cold also induces certain adaptations in adipose tissue which cause more of it to burn, but I'm not sure how much I believe that.
Yeah, what Kishi said. Probably. I dunno.
It does look like that (perverted-looking).
Yes. Yes it is (a perverted-looking exercise). Welcome to bridging. :D
Reminds me of hip thrusters, lol. Thought the same thing. :playful: Thumbs up on the workout M!
Oh joy…
Grew up on cold showers, you get used to them after awhile. lol Brave man you! ;)
They seem more bearable after a week or so, but… I dunno, I think it's still too early to tell for sure.Also, I don't think it counts as bravery if, during the first few seconds, you're thinking "Holy flying monkeys in a barrel, what ever was I thinking when I volunteered for this madness?!". Desperation, maybe. Or lunacy.
:LOL:Cold showers? Next thing you'll be doing the polar bear plunge?
I should very much hope Kishi does not make us do that. Right, Kishi? Right? D:
Awesomeness on Week 1! Good luck and have fun with Week 2! Rawr!
Thanks!
How do you remember EVERY conversation??
It usually starts off with a déjà vu. If it's something I said, then I'll search my offline copies of my posts (yes, I do keep those) for matching phrases. (This also works if I happen to have quoted the relevant posts.) If I don't find what I'm looking for, then I search on the forums with the conventional NF search bar. Because I know what I didn't find offline, I usually know what to try now instead. Not gonna lie, I do sometimes spend more time looking for the reference than composing the rest of the reply.As for this specific conversation, it was much easier to recall. It was part of my first impression of you. (This was your first reply to me.)
YAY PROGRESSIONS!!!! WOOOOO!!!! :D That's mah M!
I was going to do an authentic "Hannibal Smith"-type smile into the camera… but then I remembered I don't smoke. Bummer.

Day 5 (Friday, 2013-11-15)

As predicted, a hectic day due to commitments to my Mom's work, guitar lessons, and double-time martial arts classes. I'm just disappointed with myself for not even trying to get in the two body chunks and the future chunk.

1. traditional: (2/2)

1. lights out by 11pm, asleep by 11.30pm (as mentioned yesterday)
    2. meditate, then get ready, then start work

3. body: (0/2)
    4. future: (0/1)

Day 6 (Saturday, 2013-11-16)
      Full-day event: My Dad had visitors from his school time today. Two law school people, one state attorney and one aspiring professor of law. We all talked about careers (or, in my case, lack of one) and stuff. The two of them also believe that everyone should have a baseline understanding of law, since law affects so many things in real life. Interestingly, that's what I usually say about maths to other people. Except this "in real life" thing. I didn't quite understand what that was supposed to be. Is it sort of like AFK?
      So yeah, it was a full-day event and all. Still, I'm disappointed with myself for not even trying to get in the two body chunks and the future chunk, again. I missed strength training, too. And I distinctively remember waking up late that morning, so I think I messed up on "lights out" the evening before.
      1. traditional: (1/2)

5. body: (0/2)
    6. future: (0/1)

Day 7 (Sunday, 2013-11-17)
      Not a good day. After two days of running around full-day, I felt drained and tired and distracted and whatnot. I did a lot of zoning in front of my new retro activity, playing
      again. (Oh boy, I'm old. I was a wee lad when I first held that thing in my hands.) I also did quite some mucking around on the NFR boards. All at the expense of body and future work. Again. Le sigh.
      1. traditional: (2/2)

7. body: (0/2)
    8. future: (0/1)

Day 8 (Monday, 2013-11-18)
      I remember that I stayed up late the night before, but not why. Anyway, I had a visitor today for me to tutor in maths. (Apparently, maths is hard for other people. Who would've guessed?) Due to a big misunderstanding as far as the timetable was concerned, I ended up tutoring for roughly 2 hours or so, stretched over a timeline of 5 hours. So I couldn't spend those three hours on any work for my body or my future, as I had wanted to. Eh.
      Originally, I was going to do a round of strength training in the evening, but I spent the evening on catching up more of my backlog on forum threads here, and ended up too tired to do anything. Bad planning. I'll make sure it doesn't repeat.

9. body: skipped
    10. future: skipped

Day 9 (Tuesday, 2013-11-19) (so far)
      So I did yesterday's missed workout, and what's more, I'm taking part in Kishi's mini-challenge #2: decrease rest times between exercise sets. On top of that, I missed Saturday's or Sunday's workout, so my last session was Thursday evening, a whopping 5 days ago. Together, this means that today's workout was decidedly more painful than usual. Le sigh.
      I tried pushing the workout into the early morning, right before my shower, so that I'd come out clean from this whole ordeal. But me being the sleepyhead I am (just like Link), "early morning" turned into "noontime", which turned into "my Mom returns from work during my workout and wants to cook lunch now". So my order of morning ritual activities was turned upside-down, so much so that I can't faithfully call it a properly-executed morning ritual, even though all the elements were present, individually. Oh well.
      Work for the future is still due. But I'm a lot more on time with this than I've been in the whole of last week.

11. body: (2/2)
      1. bodyweight strength training
      2. bodyweight strength training

Specifically (see legend):

• Level 2 horizontal pulls: 10/8/NA (0/0/NA, beginner+)
    The decreased rest time had no noticable effect here.
    Also, I performed 10¾ and 8½ pulls, respectively. (Noted here so I can keep track of my distance to the next increase.)
  • Level 4 flat frog (leg) raises: 30/17/18 (+4/−9/−8, intermediate+)
    The decreased rest time really got to me here. Looks like I'm not ready for level 5 flat leg raises just yet.
  • Level 3 knee push-ups: 16/10/NA (−4/−2/NA, beginner+)
    There was a multitude of factors at play here. I tried to adhere more strictly to the 2-1-2-0 cadence. Also, it's been five days since my last session. And of course, I had decreased rest time.
  • Level 1 short bridges: 50/40/50 (+20/+10/+20, intermediate+)
    I believe I miscounted on set #2, hence I only claim to have done 40 repetitions.
    The decreased rest time had no noticable effect here.
  • Level 5 full squats: 30/30/NA (0/0/NA, progression)
    Maybe it's the shortened rest time, but squats seem to be becoming more and more difficult for me. From repetition #28 on set #1 and from repetition #22 on set #2 onwards, my legs were outright aching and begging me to stop. Apparently they aren't quite as top-notch (relatively speaking) as I thought they were. Or maybe this is just because I did the bridges first?

lights out by 11pm, asleep by 11.30pm
meditate, then get ready, then start work
lights out by 11pm, asleep by 11.30pm
get ready, then start work (forgot meditation)
meditate, then get ready, then start work

It could be the decreased rest times. It could also be the cadence, too - that extra 0 makes a big difference in the difficulty, especially if you're working hard to make sure that the technique is executed properly.

It might not be a bad idea for you to stick to 30 for now and wait for your body to catch up. If you try to add more on or go to the next step now, there's a chance you'll push your system too hard and set yourself back while you recover. Just food for thought.

Day 9 (Tuesday, 2013-11-19) (continued)

Researched a bit further about my university's "office of grades", if you so will. There's two players: office A (a single office per university) actually issues degrees and certificates and whatnot, and office B (which is specific to each department) oversees the grading efforts for this department only (in my case, maths), ensuring everything is in line with university regulations and whatnot. Office A is saying they're waiting for the green light from office B before they can issue me my certificate. Office B is hard to reach. So I'm stuck waiting. Go figure.

• …
  • …
  • future: (1/1) figure out who to kick in order to issue me my graduation certificate (turns out there's no one I can reach whom to kick)

It could be the decreased rest times. It could also be the cadence, too - that extra 0 makes a big difference in the difficulty, especially if you're working hard to make sure that the technique is executed properly.

The cadence in knee push-ups definitely makes a difference. Though I tend to only remember halfway through set #1 that I wanted to stick closer to the cadence, hence my first set always is strikingly better than my second one.

It might not be a bad idea for you to stick to 30 for now and wait for your body to catch up. If you try to add more on or go to the next step now, there's a chance you'll push your system too hard and set yourself back while you recover. Just food for thought.

Are you talking about my squats, my leg raises, or my bridges…? ô_Å

Ok, speaking as a warrior here. Extended rest times allows me to push more squats (less difficulty), hence shortening the rest time usually results in less reps on the squats (more difficulty). So, yeah, I do believe shorter rest times would have an affect.

And yes, again, I do squats at the beginning of my routine. If I did them following any other leg exercises it could have an effect on the overall difficulty level.

All in all both could contribute. But, I'll leave it to Kishi for recommendations as I am not a monk and our routines differ.

Also, good job for getting back on track. No more slacking M. lol :playful:

Just wanted to say I always learn something when I stop by your thread (as a for instance last trip here I learned what a kip up is), so for that thanks!  I work at a university and I feel like you could definitely find someone to kick if you look hard enough in department B, whether they will actually allow you to kick them is another story.  Keep up the great work!

The cadence in knee push-ups definitely makes a difference. Though I tend to only remember halfway through set #1 that I wanted to stick closer to the cadence, hence my first set always is strikingly better than my second one.

Are you talking about my squats, my leg raises, or my bridges…? ô_ō

Oops. Meant squats. Also, need to learn keyboard characters so I can make awesome faces like yours.

Just wanted to say I always learn something when I stop by your thread (as a for instance last trip here I learned what a kip up is), so for that thanks!

No, I have to thank you for the vote of confidence, forkboy!

I work at a university and I feel like you could definitely find someone to kick if you look hard enough in department B, whether they will actually allow you to kick them is another story.

Maybe, but I'm sure they wouldn't let themselves be kicked. They're at a bureaucratic level where they can't afford to give me special treatment just because I need to send in my certificate for (sort of) tax purposes. I'll try, but I'm not too confident it'll make a difference.

Ok, speaking as a warrior here. Extended rest times allows me to push more squats (less difficulty), hence shortening the rest time usually results in less reps on the squats (more difficulty). So, yeah, I do believe shorter rest times would have an affect.

And yes, again, I do squats at the beginning of my routine. If I did them following any other leg exercises it could have an effect on the overall difficulty level.

Eh, I'm probably not explaining myself well enough here.

(Also, a reminder: I'm a statistician by trade.)

Strictly speaking, the only thing we know from my measurements above is that my performance has worsened since last time, because what used to be relatively easy is now noticably difficult. Possible plausible factors I can think of are my lack of practice since last Thursday, the possibility that I may have been doing the squats wrong before, the possibility that I remember the squats' difficulty wrongly, the shortened resting time (though this shouldn't affect set #1) and the exhaustion from the bridges. Now I'm sure I can discount factors #1 (I've been at this state for a long time, even without dedicated training) and #2 (I've re-checked my squatting form before), which leaves the other three. Does any of these factors play a role, and if so, how big a role?

Since we only have a single data point, it's impossible to draw a (statistically coherent) definitive conclusion. So, above I'm thinking out aloud and at the same time hoping for more data from others who have had similar experiences.

Long story short: I'm rambling, more or less. No need to pay too much attention to it. Yet.

But, I'll leave it to Kishi for recommendations as I am not a monk and our routines differ.

True, but… eh. It's not like each of our respective groups reinvented strength training from the ground up. There is some overlap. Particularly in the squats.

Also, good job for getting back on track. No more slacking M. lol :playful:

Thanks. And yeah, heh heh… heh heh… heh… sigh…

Oops. Meant squats. Also, need to learn keyboard characters so I can make awesome faces like yours.

I concur! Love those! lol

Actually, all I did was go to the character map, because I knew these accented versions of 'o' exist and I was hoping they'd make a decent smiley (and I was right). But keyboard-wise, I didn't really do anything special… <.<