It usually starts off with a déjà vu. If it's something I said, then I'll search my offline copies of my posts (yes, I do keep those) for matching phrases. (This also works if I happen to have quoted the relevant posts.) If I don't find what I'm looking for, then I search on the forums with the conventional NF search bar. Because I know what I didn't find offline, I usually know what to try now instead. Not gonna lie, I do sometimes spend more time looking for the reference than composing the rest of the reply.

As for this specific conversation, it was much easier to recall. It was part of my first impression of you. (This was your first reply to me.)

I was going to do an authentic "Hannibal Smith"-type smile into the camera… but then I remembered I don't smoke. Bummer.

Oh no!! I should have a disclaimer on my thread. I have an unfortunate tenancy to make horrible first impressions. I hope I wasn't a jerk to you. :(

Also, don't get too frustrated; just say the word and I'll start kicking whomever you want. ;)

MWAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!

p.s. When you get your cert, you MUST post a pic so I can beam proudly through The Internets

Ok, gotcha on the rambling. lol

Second, yeah, squats are squats no matter the guild, I was more referring to the squats in the overall big picture of your routine. I know from having someone set up my routine that sometimes there is a preference to order of the kind of exercises done. That is where kishi would know better than I, if monks do that? :huh:

And I agree, learning with recomping, need more than one data point to get an idea of what to change. Why my mentor told me to give him 3 weeks of consistent effort on the diet & nutrition before we made any adjustments. (nodding)

ok, will be looking forward to the next updates!

Have an awesome day!

Who's this Kishi person?  And what does he/she have on you?  :o

Good job on stuff.  Good luck for the future!   Rawr!

Nobody special. I just have some odd ideas about how monks operate, and people seem to agree.

But no worries. The cold shower challenge was as far as I was planning to go this time around.

;)

Oh no!! I should have a disclaimer on my thread. I have an unfortunate tenancy to make horrible first impressions. I hope I wasn't a jerk to you. :(
Nah, 'twas all good. Crazy, not jerk-y.
Also, don't get too frustrated; just say the word and I'll start kicking whomever you want. ;)MWAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!!!
Why do I have the feeling that taking your offer would later get me into trouble…? <_<;
p.s. When you get your cert, you MUST post a pic so I can beam proudly through The Internets
Post… a pic…?Eh, I'll think about it. I don't feel too photogenic.
Second, yeah, squats are squats no matter the guild, I was more referring to the squats in the overall big picture of your routine. I know from having someone set up my routine that sometimes there is a preference to order of the kind of exercises done. That is where kishi would know better than I, if monks do that? :huh:
Yeah, but no. The only concern I have is that I'm doing strength training, not stamina training. So when I'm unduly sore at the start of one of these exercises (e.g. squats, 'cause bridges also work some of the same muscle groups), it means I need to space them out a bit in my workout routine (say, by 10 minutes or so). I have no other guiding principles for my routine, nor have I heard anything else from fellow monks, guild leaders or otherwise.…now this would all be true, except that mini-challenge #2 asks me to consistently decrease my rest time to make it more uncomfortable. So, at least for this week, I can't change that exercise pacing. Le snief.
Who's this Kishi person? And what does he/she have on you? :o
Nobody special. I just have some odd ideas about how monks operate, and people seem to agree.
This alone would have made my day…
But no worries. The cold shower challenge was as far as I was planning to go this time around....;)
…until that smile made me really nervous. D:

Please excuse the shorthand notation I'm about to use. I was pressed for time while I wrote the bulk of this.

Day 10 (Wednesday, 2013-11-20)

Fuckarounditis. A lot of it. Minus all that weight-lifting stuff.

1. traditional: (1/2)

1. lights out by 11pm, asleep by 11.30pm

2. body: (0/2)
    3. future: (0/1)

Day 11 (Thursday, 2013-11-21)
      More fuckarounditis, but not as much as yesterday. Been thinking about how to make up for messing up yesterday, and came up with a plan. Was going to implement this today, but… fuckarounditis again.

4. body: (0/2)
    5. future: (0/1)

Day 12 (Friday, 2013-11-22)
      Lost some sleep last night due to more fuckarounditis aftershocks. Go figure.
      Finally got back into looking for PhD positions. Going to work on preparing a matching application next. Has to wait until Monday, though.
      Also, visitors from Switzerland during martial arts today. So today's lesson was… different. 'Tis the start of a 2½ day stayover for the Swiss, with tomorrow and the day after tomorrow packed with full-day events each. So expect me to skip on body- and future-specific chunks; I'm doing more than enough of the former, and I don't have time for the latter.

6. body: (1/2)
      1. bodyweight strength training

[*]future: (1/1)

1. search for PhD positions

Specifically (see legend):

• Level 2 horizontal pulls: 11/8/NA (+1/0/NA, beginner+)
    So I said last time that I didn't notice any effect from the decreased rest time. I was wrong. I felt sorer than before when attempting set #2. I'm surprised I could keep up.
  • Level 3 knee push-ups: 11/8/NA (−5/−2/NA, beginner+)
    Damn the 2-1-2-0 cadence. Not that the decreased rest time helped, either. But yeah, damn you, cadence! Damn you!
  • Level 4 flat frog (leg) raises: 18/18/20 (−12/+1/+2, intermediate+)
    I don't know what caused the sudden drop in set #1. Hopefully it's just a one-time thing.
  • Level 1 short bridges: 50/50/50 (0/+10/0, progression)
    Well, whadd'ya know? 'Tis doable.

No squats. No time.

meditate, then get ready, then start work

Sudden drops like what happened in your frog raises are actually pretty common in calisthenic disciplines. Typically it happens more with pull ups, but they happen when they happen. As long as you're being consistent with your effort and controlling those variables you can control, you should be fine.

Day 13 (Saturday, 2013-11-23)

Full-day martial arts event. First, a 3 hr semi-flat hike at 9am in foggy and damp 2°C/35°F weather[1], followed by cold lunch outdoors (pun intended). That was sufficient to tire out my legs.[2] Then we embarked on a 4 hr martial arts bootcamp, which tired out the rest of my body.[3] Finally, as a favor to the guests from Switzerland, during dinner I was asked to whip out my guitar and accompany an accordion[4] on the fly. Whew. I am le tired. Will reply to comments and stuff on another day.

1. traditional: (2/2)

2. meditate, then get ready, then start work

3. body: skipped
    4. future: skipped

1OHSHITOHSHITOHSHITITSCOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD!
      2Memo to self: hike more. 'cause you suck.
      3The type of "tired out" where, during the latter stages, you're quite sure your limbs are made of pudding, not muscles and bones and such. Except that here, "latter stages" meant "within the first 15 minutes".
      4You may have also heard of the term squeezebox.

Wow, sounds like you had quite the day! Rest up M And then remember to come post week 2 progress on the brigade!

Cold must be setting in for most of us. Brrrrrrrr........... :nightmare:  Will be doing more inside biking than walking myself!

Well, then just a photo of the certificate :D
I could probably arrange that, but… the important part of the certificate contains my full (ugly) name and birthdate and such. In other words, it includes enough information to commit full-blown identity theft. I'd be blotting out so many parts of the certificate, even I wouldn't take for granted that it isn't a fake. And at this point, I don't think posting the certificate makes much sense anymore.So yeah, I dunno…
Sudden drops like what happened in your frog raises are actually pretty common in calisthenic disciplines. Typically it happens more with pull ups, but they happen when they happen. As long as you're being consistent with your effort and controlling those variables you can control, you should be fine.
So, like, it's a "that time of the month" thing? But I'm not female…
See, learned something. :) Is (fuckarounditis) contagious? I think my entire family has come down with it...
Quite so, I'm afraid, though susceptibility does vary quite a bit.
Good Lord! If this is contagious, we are ALL screwed.Is there an antidote?
According to Berkhan, yes: bench presses, pull-ups, (barbell?) squats and deadlifts. I'm not sure I buy that, though. I've been doing just fine (well, more or less) with bodyweight-only variants. Either way, it's a long-term therapy.
Wow, sounds like you had quite the day! Rest up M And then remember to come post week 2 progress on the brigade!
Eh, too early. Today (Monday) is the first day I get a full rest. Sort of.And I'm late on more things than my week two progress report…
Cold must be setting in for most of us. Brrrrrrrr........... :nightmare: Will be doing more inside biking than walking myself!
Yeah, but since I'm (still?) almost always indoors for my exercise, it doesn't matter too much. As for that hike, I only noticed when I returned that my shoes and socks were drenched. Whoops.
I love footnotes.It's like a little treat encouraging you to read further.
Well, I consider the alternative—bracketed comments inline—unreadable for most of the bracketed comments I'd want to make, because of sheer length.
Wait, are you conditioning me.....?
Oh crap, you noticed…

Day 14 (Sunday, 2013-11-24)

¾-day martial arts event, continued from yesterday. That is, another 4 hr martial arts bootcamp. In which there was a "slight discrepancy" between the orders my brain was issuing (E = mc²) and the orders my body was executing (deeeeeeeeeeeeerp!). Oh well. The guests have returned home, we've cleaned up, and everything is back to normal.

Got home and was vehemently bugged kindly asked to finish that application from Friday. Eh. Finished updating my CV to 2013 (I was still stuck in 2010), and started drafting the cover letter, both to be sent in on Monday.

Considering that I was deliberately planning to not work on my future, I'm going to use this work for redemption (see next post for details).

4. future: skipped + 1R (Friday, because Saturday had no "future" work)
      1. write application for PhD position

Redemption

What is redemption?

Redemption is the process of completing extra chunks for the challenge goals in order to make up for previously missed chunks.

How does redemption work?

Redemption works by adding the workload of the previous days on top of the current day, weighted by the amount of days that have passed since those previous days. For each redeemed day of work, you may retroactively grade it as a success.

You must redeem multiple days in reverse order: first one day ago, then two days ago, then three days ago, and so on.

Give me an example of redemption.

To redeem my work from two days ago, I need to complete work(today) + weight(yesterday)×work(yesterday) + weight(two days ago)×work(two days ago).

…with numbers.

To redeem work on my future for two days (at 1 chunk per day), I need to complete 1 + 1×1 + 2×1 = 4 chunks today, where weight(yesterday) = 1 and weight(two days ago) = 2.

What if I only manage part of the redemption for a previous day?

Redemption efforts are only considered if complete. E.g. if you did enough work to redeem one and a half days, you redeem only one day.

What if I do extra work beyond what I can redeem?

The extra work is not counted.

How are the weights calculated?

The formula for calculating the weights is weight(n days ago) = 2n-1.

That means that weight(yesterday) = 1, weight(two days ago) = 2, weight(three days ago) = 4, weight(four days ago) = 8, and so on.

But that means that the effective workload doubles for each previous day considered!

Yes. The weights form a geometric series, which grows exponentially. This is by design: it's supposed to be infeasible to make up for work missed a long time ago. There ain't no second chance for a second chance.

Can I use this system for my own 6-week challenges?

Absolutely! Go ahead!

Do note though that this system is designed for work that can be divided in "chunks", a couple of which are to be done each day. I don't know how well this system works for other goal layouts such as "three times per week", "double workload on Tuesdays", etc. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 2

Day 15 (Monday, 2013-11-25)

Wrote the application letter for a PhD position at my alma mater's chair for statistics, the same chair I wrote my Bachelor's and Master's theses at. Started in the morning, interrupted to give maths tuition (go figure), then held a martial arts class (during which I was surprised how not-sore I was), then went back to the application letter. I had to finish it today. Took the whole night… I sent it at 2am. Go figure.

Anyway… given that I had a deadline to stick to and that it overrode any type of non-work activity, I will count today's "body" work as skipped.

4. future: (1/1) + 2R (last Thursday and Friday; Friday already redeemed)
      1. apply for a PhD position at my alma mater's chair for statistics
      2. write the application letter for that PhD position
      3. no really, write that flippin' letter
      4. and actually send that letter

Day 16 (Tuesday, 2013-11-26)

Heard back from the certification office and from the prof: my application has been received and will be evaluated, and the certification office is getting ready to print my certificate. Awesome! Things are going smooth again!

…which I celebrated by watching 3 hours of kid's shows on TV. (TV for the first time in a week or so. Also, not kidding about the "kids" part.)

And then there was martial arts. Oh boy did I learn remember something about myself there today. I messed up badly twice, once in how I effectively let the kids run the show during the kids' lesson, and once in how I pranked a junior of mine in (upon closer examination) a highly inappropriate manner. That sent me into rage mode during the adults' lesson, which shocked me once I realized what I was doing. Wow. These are all old failings: failure to consider your audience when teaching, failure to stick to the right path, and failure to resist your impulses. Apparently, they haven't been sticking well enough.

Went home and got back online. Was going to post this on Tuesday night, but got caught up chatting with the Courier and reading NFR and whatnot. And yes, the Courier is alive and well. She's working on that comeback for April 2014. Things are set in motion on her side, too. Just gotta be a bit more patient.

1. traditional: (1/1)

1. body: (1/2)
      1. bodyweight strength training

[*]future: (1/1)

1. e-mail the certification office to get the certificate printing machinery going

Specifically (see legend):

• Level 2 horizontal pulls: 9/8/NA (−2/0/NA, beginner?) (last session: 4 days ago)
    Too long a break, maybe?
  • Level 3 knee push-ups: 10/8/NA (−1/0/NA, beginner+) (last session: 4 days ago)
    Same?

I wanted to get the second half done later in the evening, or early the next morning, but… it never happened.

Day 17 (Wednesday, 2013-11-27)

Mom's birthday. There was cake. Well, muffins actually.

1. body: (0/2)
    2. future: (0/1)

lights out by 11pm, asleep by 11.30pm, skipped

A big Yay on the certificate M! Glad that is finally coming through.

Bummer on the martial arts incident. We have our moments  when we digress to less than our best. See what you can learn from it and don't be too hard on yourself.

Glad courier is well! Tell her we miss her! :)

Keep working on those goals!

Week 1 and 2 Report (Abridged Version)

Breakdown: Traditional Goals

Lights out: 1/1/1/1/1/0/1/0/1/1/0/0/1/1 (10 pts, 14 total) (1/8th of grade)

Gear up: 1/1/1/1/1/1/1/1/0/0/1/1/1/1 (12 pts, 14 total) (1/8th of grade)

Breakdown: Body Work

Strength training: 2/2/0/2/1/0 (7 pts, 10 total) (1/4th of grade)

Other: 2/1/0/0/1/0/0/0 (4 pts, 14 total) (1/4th of grade)

Breakdown: Future Work

1/1/1/0/0/0/0/0/1/0/1/1/0/0 (6 pts, 11 total) (1/4th of grade)

Total

Weighted average: 57.9% (“…fudge.â€)

Day 18 (Thursday, 2013-11-28)

A great day, and at the same time one of my worst days. I spent the evening before and the morning after on games, and the day with large scale grocery shopping. And it was one of my best gaming sessions in quite some time, too: I beat many of my own high scores today. Yet that precisely is the reason why it was one of my worst days too: I realize I don't care about my new goals anymore. I'm losing focus. I'm turning complacent again. Is it because of overwhelm? Is it because of spreading my attention too thinly? I'm not sure, but I think so, on both counts.

So, new game plan. I'm gonna announce what I'll do the day before I do it, both here, and on a post-it on my monitor. Most Important Thing lists at their finest. Together with the timer, this works. I already know it does. Now, why again am I not using these tools if I know they help? Oh, right, I forgot… I resist my own advice.

Today's chunks:

1. traditional: (0/2)
  2. body: (0/2)
  3. future: (0/1)

(My first null run! Woohoo! Wait, no, I mean boo! Boo, I say!)

To be done tomorrow:

1. bodyweight strength training: pull-ups, push-ups, squats
  2. bodyweight strength training: leg raises, bridges
  3. search for PhD offers: search at the universities in Zurich, Switzerland