Drich and the Dungeon of Drudgery!!!

Drich

Ho'kay so this will be my first quest as a Druid, but I believe I'm in the right place!

Main goal is Confidence.

It has been a constant struggle for me but I'm really excited about working on it.

To achieve my goal my 3 side quests will be

1. Continue the path I started.

1a. Follow Paleo

1b. Workout 3 times a week

1c. Wake up by 9am 6 days a week

2. Build habits and form routines.

2a. Learn a healthy morning exercise and do it 3 times a week

2b. Find a cardio you like or do some cardio 3 times a week

2c. Find a routine to keep my house clean

2d. Eat a meal at least twice a day

3. Increase positivity in my life

3a. Learn more about yoga and implement it into the daily routine.

3b. Set a goal every week to challenge myself (ask a girl out, go to a yoga class)

3c. Limit my crutches (cut back on drinking and smoking)

So I started at my first challenge around 265, I currently weigh 243. I really need help with positivity and not overthinking everything people say to me. I need to work on building stronger relationships so I feel less alone but I also need to work on being happy by myself. I really want to be more involved on this forum so I'm really glad I'm in a guild. If you feel any sort of connection with my goals or struggles please follow or add me or both, I'll be needing all the insight to life anyone has to offer. I can't wait to start this adventure with everyone!

Heya!

You have some great goals here, and if you are looking for a community online. I have found this one as one if the best. There's always support here and I know you will do great!

Finding that place where you are happy with you makes a huge difference, I spent most of last year working with a life coach and its made a world of difference!

Looking forward on working through this challenge with you!

The question isn't who's going to let me, it's who's going to stop me!     

~(to come when I remember)

Level 3 Adventurer

Huge NF Meet up?

Polls for marathon meet up: States   International (more info click the link above!)

Hey Dirch good to see your thread.

That's a lot to tackle in 6-weeks, be sure to give yourself credit for how hard this can get.

I am a newbie to yoga as well and I've found some decent success with Daily Yoga, an app on my android. The app itself is free, most exercises are free (they show an ad once you're finished) and some you have to pay for. I have yet to pay for any, I've just been sticking to the Sun Salutations routine that can be five, ten or fifteen minutes.

As far as positivity is concerned, this place has a ton of it. Cool dude I will keep checking in, thanks for stopping by my thread.

Ho'kay so this will be my first quest as a Druid, but I believe I'm in the right place!

Main goal is Confidence.

It has been a constant struggle for me but I'm really excited about working on it.

To achieve my goal my 3 side quests will be

1. Continue the path I started.

1a. Follow Paleo

1b. Workout 3 times a week

1c. Wake up by 9am 6 days a week

2. Build habits and form routines.

2a. Learn a healthy morning exercise and do it 3 times a week

2b. Find a cardio you like or do some cardio 3 times a week

2c. Find a routine to keep my house clean

2d. Eat a meal at least twice a day

3. Increase positivity in my life

3a. Learn more about yoga and implement it into the daily routine.

3b. Set a goal every week to challenge myself (ask a girl out, go to a yoga class)

3c. Limit my crutches (cut back on drinking and smoking)

So I started at my first challenge around 265, I currently weigh 243. I really need help with positivity and not overthinking everything people say to me. I need to work on building stronger relationships so I feel less alone but I also need to work on being happy by myself. I really want to be more involved on this forum so I'm really glad I'm in a guild. If you feel any sort of connection with my goals or struggles please follow or add me or both, I'll be needing all the insight to life anyone has to offer. I can't wait to start this adventure with everyone!

Hello Drich and welcome to the Druids!

Confidence, a great goal to have I think. 

I do not entirely understand how your goals lead to confidence though - could you make that a little bit clearer?

I really like your three different parts of your challenge and they feel linked to me. However I would personally not have them subdivided in so many parts. Keeping it simple increases your chances of success!

What is your main motivation?

What kind of grading will you use?

Great to have you here in the Druid forest!

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Hello Drich and welcome to the Druids!

Confidence, a great goal to have I think. 

I do not entirely understand how your goals lead to confidence though - could you make that a little bit clearer?

I really like your three different parts of your challenge and they feel linked to me. However I would personally not have them subdivided in so many parts. Keeping it simple increases your chances of success!

What is your main motivation?

What kind of grading will you use?

Great to have you here in the Druid forest!

those are all really good points, and I apologize it seems to be very difficult make sense in writing... I'm not sure at all how they will lead to confidence, I am very lacking of confidence at the moment and I feel like if I start building structure and keep working on looking my best I'll eventually have to be confident. It is something I'm always struggling with. And about the division of my goals, those were more of a reminder to myself about what I wanted accomplished. I'll work on restating them into a more gradeable format. And my motivation is to be happy, I guess I'll explain a little about myself and maybe someone can relate to me... I think the point of life is a happy family, everything I do, I do it for the family I dream of having. I just got out of a serious relationship and it really took a toll on me. I dont know how to be happy when Im not with someone in a relationship, someone I can share all my experiences with, without someone like that life doesnt have a point to me. Now I know that's not right and I need to work on that, so far whenever I talk to someone if feel like they wont be able to get over how fat I am, I'm 6'4 and 245 I'm not that big but I really dislike myself for being overweight, so that is a priority to get in shape, after that I have a HUGE lack of confidence, I'm constantly putting myself down for no reason!!! I'm also a super positive person for everyone else but I'm practically an enemy to myself, I feel like once I have structure and im not overweight anymore I'll be the person I want to be and that will help me find someone that will want to be with me and then I'll be able to start my epic family adventures..... so, I'm obviously working on somethings and I'm really hoping theres atleast one person that reads this and can understand where I'm coming from and help guide me in the right path to finding happiness, Thanks to anyone who read this.... I really hope someone other then me can understand what I'm trying to say

Good goals Drich. I will still be annoying you and asking for updates, just because we are in different guilds doesn't mean i am going to stop :P

The best way to build confidence is to do something you are scared/afraid. So if you are shy and don't like talking to people because you are not confident than the best way to do it is talk to people. I moved in to a sales job just over 6 months ago and i hated the fact that i had to do cold calls and go see potential clients. it can be a daunting task. But with some practice and actually doing it more and more i got more confident. 

Losing weight and getting fit can give you a better self body image and help lead to an improved confidence in other areas, but it generally isn't enough. You will have to go out and do what you are not confident.

If you are putting yourself down all the time you might want to have a chat with someone about depression (not saying you have it, just a suggestion) That is something that i have dealt with in the past. It can be hard to open up and talk to someone about it but it can make a difference. 

Good luck and looking forward to seeing you progress

• Like 1

Check out my food recipe blog at www.manmeetsthermo.com

You are courageous and very open Drich, fantastic!

Do look at your goals again and see how you want to phrase them, you have a lot of good thoughts, I can see that :-)

Then, one other thing. Many of us here have battled weight goals, and imagined that change would occur when goals were achieved. It might, and might not. Inside you are already a beautiful person, it sounds like a cliche but it is true. Losing weight will not necessarily make you happier, and I think you already know other roads to happiness.

It's good to have you here!

Would you be interested in some 'work goals' that will work on your mental self doubt? Loosing the weight does't usually help the mind change, I'd lost a tone of weight in the past but I couldn't see or feel the difference because I was in such a mental black fog. But your goals are great for making you a healthy and stronger you which I can't wait to see you rock!

Level 3 Adventurer

Huge NF Meet up?

Polls for marathon meet up: States   International (more info click the link above!)

Would you be interested in some 'work goals' that will work on your mental self doubt? Loosing the weight does't usually help the mind change, I'd lost a tone of weight in the past but I couldn't see or feel the difference because I was in such a mental black fog. But your goals are great for making you a healthy and stronger you which I can't wait to see you rock!

Arilian what do you mean by work goals?

also! thank you everyone for your positivity, it really helps keep me positive.

Good goals Drich. I will still be annoying you and asking for updates, just because we are in different guilds doesn't mean i am going to stop :tongue:

The best way to build confidence is to do something you are scared/afraid. So if you are shy and don't like talking to people because you are not confident than the best way to do it is talk to people. I moved in to a sales job just over 6 months ago and i hated the fact that i had to do cold calls and go see potential clients. it can be a daunting task. But with some practice and actually doing it more and more i got more confident. 

Losing weight and getting fit can give you a better self body image and help lead to an improved confidence in other areas, but it generally isn't enough. You will have to go out and do what you are not confident.

If you are putting yourself down all the time you might want to have a chat with someone about depression (not saying you have it, just a suggestion) That is something that i have dealt with in the past. It can be hard to open up and talk to someone about it but it can make a difference. 

Good luck and looking forward to seeing you progress

and Adze, I work at Starbucks as a manager so I talk to people constantly, I love talking to people but I always put on this very fake personality, Its like an alter ego, I think I should try being more genuine and putting myself out there a little more, also i think ill try taking to strangers at parties or bars which is something I never do. Id like to join a gym and try talking to people there but I dont have any money right now s ill keep that idea on the back burner

And as for my confidence, everytime i think about anything my weight is the only thing that keeps me for being confident so I understand what ya'll are saying about how losing weight isnt an end all but Its the only place I know where to start.

and as for my goals, hows this sound

1. Nutrition (so that'll include my paleo diet, limiting my vices like drinking, smoking and it'll include eating more often) Ill grade it by each time everytime i do something i shouldn't such as smoke or eat out ill take off a point and each day ill give myself 2 points so at the end of the challenge ill divide how many points I have by 84 and ill get a percentage

2. Routine ( everyweek ill come up with a new routine so 

week 1 find a routine thats works for me in the morning (yoga stretching tabata and breakfast etc..)

week 2 plan out some meals(make a shopping list and prepare a weeks worth of food something i can copy and repeat)

week 3 find a workout routine for when i want to sweat and really spend some time and put in some effort, something i can do safely and as efficiently as possible

week 4 focus on the house( when im done cooking clean up after myself when i have guests over put dishes away sweep mondays mop tuesday etc make a chore schedule and keep to it

week 5 putting it all together

week 6 tweak and repeat 

ill grade myself by if I created a routine or not and how much effort i put into making something i can repeat and make a habit ill grade each one out of 5 then divide the grand total by 30 and get a percentage again

3. mediate 

from what ive read mediation is what I need in my life right now i think itll be very useful with everything im going through, im open to suggestions for a third goal, but i cant think of anything else that will help my self issues more(maybe a therapist but ill start with this) so I will work on mediating everyday for just 10 minutes and do a point for each one out of 42 and get a percent again.

so alot going on, thanks for all the inspiration and ill keep everyone up to date on everything. please let me know if these are a more appropriate goal, what i should add or what i should subtract, any and all input is much welcomed and appreciated. thank you all again ps. today i ate twice and havent smoked or drank so im right on scedule just gotta mediate and itll be A+ kind of day

Well, I have been doing really well since I started although I have to minus 4 points for drinking and smoking... Out of the past 3 days and I have yet to meditate the thought of sitting in silence is giving me anxiety... Other than that I'm down to 238!!! Tonight I need to meditate and get a routine started up

I can't sit in silence either, I use these: http://marc.ucla.edu/body.cfm?id=22 I'm sure there are a lot more on the web but I'm just taking my time working through these at the moment. In my opinion the 5-minute long one called "Breathing" is the best one to start with, it's short and simple.

Confidence is one of those things that builds on itself. Take inventory on the things that you've had going right in the past, recent and distant, large and small. When you spend a little time focusing on those moments, you'll feel a difference in your physiology (more confidence!). The next challenge will fall victim to your skills and prowess that much easier, adding another small (or large) victory, and more confidence.

As far as drinking and smoking go...those are two of the most addictive things on earth, especially in the realm of legal purchases. That's difficult to give advice about, especially without writing you a short story. But long story short, setbacks are part of the process. Remember you are taking on a very difficult challenge right now and please give yourself the credit you deserve for making positive changes, when things are going right and wrong equally.

Above all else, remember:

A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step -Laozi (c 604 bc - c 531 bc) in the Tao Te Ching

I think your new goals sound feasible (and hard, but that's as it should

be :-) )

If you feel motivated and that you are not taking on too much then just go for it!!

Meditation IS difficult. I think we all think so. Start small is still my best advice. 5 breaths, focusing on the movement of the air slowly through nostrils all the way down to lungs and then back again....

Seriously meditation is difficult, and I dont know how to not drink to sleep so im losing lots of points, Im eating very well though, ive been making a few days worth of food at a time and im cleaning up right after, my house is very clean so that part of the challenge is going well, I have never had so many problems with anxiety, lately its just horrible and I would love some opinions on how to be happy while being alone. im really struggling when i cant find anyone to hangout with at night, this is more of a rant now but it needs some release, i have always used others to validate my existance, everything i do i want to share with everyone always and when no one is around and i cant share i feel like i cant validate anything, and the things i do go unnoticed and unappreciated and im not strong enough to do them for myself... i seriously hate being single, im at 237, im about to make some sort of soup with chicken, cabbage and maybe some kale. i havent had anything to drink yet but im going to break that so i can be content in my absence of people.... well i feel abit better getting that off my chest.

also i asked a girl out, she said awe! im in love with your personality but im still kind of with boyfriend, i have been overthinking everything about that conversation, at night she always wants to hang out, then she always wants to invite other people when we actually do hang out, i feel like if i was in shape she wouldnt say awe! your personality is blah blah, i feel like it should have been a compliment but it hurt me... im also starting to have some other dependency issues and i dont know how to solve them.... blah not having what i need out of life right now.... ima go make soup 

Sounds like a lot of things are racing through your mind.

One advice: try to make a list of things you like, or liked, to do. I did this a couple of challenges ago and it an be really difficult at first but then it got easier for me at least. Try it - try one thing and that might remind you of something else, and so on.

You know this but I'll tell you anyway, sleep aided by alcohol is not going to help in the long run. Working out can be one way of getting tired in a natural way.

Way to go on cooking healthy food and having a clean house!! 

Take that list that Evenewbie suggested you make and look at yourself in the mirror. Really look at yourself and meet your own gaze, pick one thing from your list and tell yourself what that thing is. That little voice that pop's up, have a conversation with it. The first several times are going to be hard but keep at it and it's amazing the changes you will go through.

We're rooting for you

Level 3 Adventurer

Huge NF Meet up?

I relate to a lot of what you're going through. It's hard for me to feel confident without a friend there to help me with it. Getting more confident with yourself is all about the small steps in the right direction, and to me it sounds like you're making them.

In my experience meditation helped me sort out similar anxieties. It helps quiet the many thoughts that run through my head, allowing me to focus on one at a time and start making better progress.

We're all rooting for you dude. Come through, and give us an update :)

HOW THE HELL DID I NOT SEE THIS THREAD UNTIL NOW?

Ahem. I mean yes, I can totally relate to (most of) what you're dealing with right now. Especially when it comes to the absurd lack of confidence, and trying to drink less. I've only added the drink less alcohol quest to my list a few days ago, but it's freaking brutal so far. Some pointers that might help:

- Allow yourself a few nights of drinking during the week...unless you're trying to quit cold-turkey (I've allowed myself two FAILs per week.)

- To fight temptation, try to constantly have a non-alcoholic drink in your hand. I find that decaf coffee, herbal tea, and warm water with lemon work well in the evenings. They're also very low-cal and won't interfere with your weight-loss goals X)

- Your weight might jump up by a few pounds if you give up alcohol for a few days, especially if you're using the strategy above. It happened to me anyway, and I think hope it's only water weight. I still have to constantly pull up my yoga pants so I'm assuming I did't gain any fat, but I was rather pissed off as fuck alarmed when the scale jumped by like 7 pounds overnight. Anyway, don't be alarmed if this happens. It's probably not actual weight (fat) gain.

- I made a list of some of the bad things that chronic alcohol use does to the body in this post buried in my thread (scroll down about halfway through.) When faced with delicious alcoholic temptation, remember the list! It's what prevented me from getting trashed last night. And the night before, too, actually. If you have anything to add to the list, let me know :)

Congrats on the weight loss so far! Momentum, gogo!

Well I appreciate everyone's posts, I haven't had a chance to read through everything yet but I'm still making some progress, not as much as I assume I would but progress nonetheless, thanksgiving through me off but after tomorrow I'll be back on track, I'm investing my time in myself and my friendships more and it seems to be helping me quite a bit, I also think I'll be joining a gym tomorrow a few of my friends go to, hopefully I'll work on getting into routine... Hmmm, that's it for tonight, I'll be much more in depth tomorrow.

Well I'm losing motivation, I found a new spiritual path I really am getting into www.thespiritscience.net and that is helping bring everything full circle but im having worse problems with depression and just a feeling of intense loneliness constantly and idk how to fix that. I cant hangout with people every single night, atleast I shouldnt feel like I have to, its kind of hard for me to get past these problems im having, I think I might be bipolar, im usually extactic about life but once or twice a day I crash hard especially when im home alone, Im trying to convince myself to not join match.com lol i think i should start with my multivitamin again because im not eating enough to satisfy my brains chemical needs evidently, peace all you amazing people

the most intense experience of my life happened thursday night still trying to figure everything out exactly what happened but i was taking shots because i was going to get on a plane in the morning and i wanted a good night sleep i took a few shots of 151 and i remember taking a triple shot+ of it then i must have passed out and hurt my knee really bad, anyways i was comatose till noon the next day, they said i didnt have any brain activity, my bac was .395 at .4 it is a lethal dose, half a shot more and id be dead, i was hooked up to i.v.s and a cathader, it was horrifying, im trying to get my life back on track now. ill try to do updates more often, tonight im joining a gym

I think you get some challenge bonus points for not being dead :o (And for having a liver that is tougher than mine is lol!)

But yeah...whoa. That's one hell of a wakeup call! The good thing is that you realize it and are making it a point to change your life for the better.

Oh. I checked out thespiritscience.net and...do you happen to know how much their Panic to Freedom thing costs? I haven't signed up for it yet, but the first two pages didn't give me the price when I Googled "panic to freedom price" and a few variants thereof.

...Erm. I just tried looking at the site again and apparently it's been hacked -_-

ive never seen the panic to freedom, im obsessed with their youtube video series on spirituality though, today im at 237 going to the gym and im back on the ball =D

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines