Dumbbells for home use

There are really fancy adjustable dumbbells that have systems that make them easier to adjust that are fairly pricey, but a basic 40lb adjustable set should be something like $40 or less (I'm thinking CAN/US $, if the Koala means you're an Aussie it might be a bit more). And once you out grow the 40lbs, you should be able to buy more plates. Gently used fitness equipment is also fairly easy to come by on online classifieds for cheap.

If you're doing a primarily dumbbell based workout, you will find you need different weights for different exercises, so you'll pretty quickly spend more than $40 on fixed dumbbells.The price per pound is going to be similar.

I've thought at times that it might be nice to have 2 of the 40lb sets so you can spend less time fiddling with adjusting them (particularly if you're doing circuits), and then you also have more weight plates to play with to get some finer weights in between.

"None of us can choose to be perfect, but all of us can choose to be better." - Lou Schuler, New Rules of Lifting for Women

We have them at work they make a great substitute in case i need to go a bit heavier then the kettlebells we have.  I like them but the only caveat i have is you have to make sure there adjusted on both ends or you will look goofy.  Upside they take up alot less room then normal dumbbells.

“Happiness consists in getting enough sleep. Just that, nothing more.†  Starship Troopers

“There are no dangerous weapons; there are only dangerous men.†  Starship Troopers

“Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Breeds that forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and their freedoms†  Starship Troopers

Follow and comment for my current challenge at this link:  

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39940-toms-adventures-in-rangering

And this is my Battle Log

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/38791-early-morning-challange/page-2

Hi and thank you both

Yes, I am in Australia although can't say I have seen a koala for a long time haha

I do like the fact that the adjustables take up less space and it is easy to go up to the next weight rather than buying more dumbbells. I can see how adjusting the weights on both ends is pretty important, I look goofy enough without adding unnecessary goofiness.

I will check out the classifieds, that's a great idea.Thanks

I was really glad to see this as I just ordered a set today. I have done a lot of reading the past few days before deciding.

I couldn't seem to find any cons other than cost and concerns about some that are made with plastic parts. A few people felt they are unsafe (mainly the Reebok brand) or have actually had break and weights fall off.

I went with the cheaper Bowflex pair (They go up to 52.5lbs) and I'm hoping for the best (as in..they don't end up really expensive paper weights!).

Saving space was definitely one of the biggest pros!

I can't say that I will ever be up to 52.5 lbs but it's nice to be able to if needed w/o purchasing any additional weights. I will try to get back to you on how we like them if you haven't already purchased something by then!

Why not just get a pair of plate loaded dumbbells? A pair of standard handles ran me $8 and plates costs $1 per pound retail, or as low as a quarter a pound used. It ends up being cheaper than either option and infinitely versatile.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

The only reason I can come up with to have a rack of fixed weight dumbbells is because you're filthy rich and have a lot of room. One pair of Olympic db handles lets me have everything from a 10 to a 160 using plates I already have for barbell work. If you're just looking at using light dumbbells then get standard 1" handles and creep on Craigslist for used plastic/cement plate weight. I've seen plastic plates going for as low as 15 cents a pound.

My training log

Spoiler

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (USS), April 16th Contest report

Hudson Valley Strongman presents Lift for Autism (NAS), April 18th Contest report

Eighth Annual Vis Vires Outdoor Strongman Competition (Unsanctioned), August 1st Contest report

"What's the difference between an injury that you train around and an injury that you train through?"

"A trip to the hospital"

The only reason I can come up with to have a rack of fixed weight dumbbells is because you're filthy rich and have a lot of room. One pair of Olympic db handles lets me have everything from a 10 to a 160 using plates I already have for barbell work. If you're just looking at using light dumbbells then get standard 1" handles and creep on Craigslist for used plastic/cement plate weight. I've seen plastic plates going for as low as 15 cents a pound.

Eh, fixed weight DB's have a different balance and feel to them.  I personally prefer hex DB's to all others by a long shot.  Being big hunks of steel, hex DB's are basically a lifetime investment.

You really don't need that many; over the years I've acquired a set of 15's, 25's, and 35's, and that's really all I need.  Eventually I'm going to get a set of 50's, but its not a high priority at this point.

currently maintaning

battle log challenges: 16,15,14,13,12,11,10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1
follow me: myfitnesspal
don't panic!

I found a set of PowerBlock 90's on CraigsList for $200 a few years back.  They have held up great and adjust from 5lb to 90lbs.  They work pretty well, but like Waldo said, I still prefer hex dumbbells if I have the choice.  

Not sure how available they would be in Australia if at all, but I'd recommend searching used equipment for sure.  

Daily Log ]

The hex dumbbells have a pretty simple gift/curse. They are now and ever shall be exactly what they are. Unless you take some serious hardware to my 15 lb dumbbell, it will remain a 15 lb chunk of steel. It's solid, plain and simple.

The pro is that I never have to think about what weight I'm grabbing. The con is that right now I've got a pair of 15s and a pair of 30s and I've still got to improve my strength. There are parts of my routine where I can use the 15 lb weights just fine but I just don't have it for 30s yet.  

So my dumbbell deadlifts go just fine with 30s, but for something like my overhead press, I'm breaking down a set of 12 into 8 reps with 30, 4 with 15, 8 reps with 30, 4 with 15, 7 reps with 30, 5 with 15. It definitely would be nice to have intermediary weights sometimes, but they're not the smallest, and definitely not cheap when you get more than 2-3 sets.

• Like 1

Level 1-2ish Assassin

Str: 2.2 Dex: 1.9  Sta: -0.49 Con:1.3   Wis: 2.8 Cha: 1.7

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/43281-a-single-step/

A colleague at worked mentioned that he find the plates annoying because they sping around the bar.  Is this the case?  or are there certain models that will lock them in place.  Is this distracting, which is why some people prefer the hex?

I can't imagine that you'd get much weight spin with Olympic handles.  A decent set of collars prevents 95% of movement and unless your going crazy and throwing the weights around (which would probably pretty low weight anyway), I don't think it'd be a problem.  

I mean, think of a basic chest press.  The weight is just going up and down.  How would that generate spin?  

• Like 1

Daily Log ]

Rooks that makes sense.  What are the diameter of olympic handles.  Should I be goign to a fitness store to pick these up?  I think I already know the ansewr but it is worth savinga  few bucks to go to WalMart / Canadian Tire pieces vs.  Well what would be some well trusted brands.  I am looking for the dumbbells to use as an alternative to the machine in my gym for bench press, and also to increase difficulty on squats.

I use Olympic DB handles and there isn't enough spin to care about. They have 2" sleeves and 1" bars where you grip. They are rated I think to 125 pounds but I'm sure I could fit 3 25s on each end getting me a 160# DB. I have a while til I'm rowing 160s, but it's nice to have that option without spending money on just another pair of DBs. If I wanted to buy just a pair of 150s I'd have over $300 into that. I spent less than that on my power rack.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

First thing I see on a Google search is this:

http://www.amazon.com/Olympic-Dumbbell-Handles-sold-Pair/dp/B002OB2BT6

No idea if that's decent option or not, but it at least gives you a starting point for price.  

Those are $20 cheaper than the ones I bought and I doubt any better or worse.

• Like 1

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

I'm a canuck so will have to see what they have up here.  but I apprecaite having the image to see what to look for.  I know the olympic bar is 45lbs, do the db handles have a weight to them.  Ie. can you actually start off just using the handles to get use to it?

My handles are 10# each.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

Thanks for your help guys I ended up going to a fitness warehouse and getting plated dumbbells.  Didn't get the Olympic one (they only had a single one, would be a week till they got more pairs in).  I picked up a bar and the plates are at $0.88 lb vs. $1.50 for the hex.  I'm pleased with it got the bars with 7.5, 5, and 2.5 plates so I'll be able to have enough combos to last me for a little while.

They will go a long ways. You should be able to get up to 25 pound plates which will take care of just about anything you'd need them to do.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

I'm starting to outgrow my current dumbbells and want the adjustable ones but at the same time I hear a lot of horror stories, like about the weights falling off the handles and accidentally injuring people. So I'm not really sure if I want to get some...

Paleo Enthusiast, Lifter, Gamer, Math Geek.

I've had my Oly handles at 60 pounds over my face without incident and I've rowed 110s. Just make sure the collars are screwed down tight. If you get standard spinlock handles there is no way for the plates to come loose.

My training log

Spoiler

"A trip to the hospital"

Likewise, my PowerBlocks are rock solid.  I don't really see a way they could break or fall apart during a lift, since it's two connected pins held in place by the weight itself.  The BowFlex SelectTech ones are the ones that I've heard those same horror stories about.  Heard the selector dial starts failing within 6 months on some... but again that's all rumor.  I have ZERO experience with them.  

Daily Log ]