Kim Taura Transitions

AT as a NF mascot? I can support that. TURTLE POWER!

Buddy says, "HI"!

IMG_0591_zpsc5843444.jpg

Oh my SQUUUEEEEE! So cute! I remember when AT could be in a container that small! I have read they are excellent climbers and now I see it!

That lunch cafe sounds wonderful! Great job on the weight loss last week! 

I don't have a turtle but they are one of my favorite things about going to the river. I love watching them sitting out on logs, sunning. 

They are definitely so cute. I wouldn't mix them with other animals as there are tons of stories online of cats and dogs hurting or killing them. Most of the time it is on accident. But, they are a great pet that is generally cheaper to maintain than a cat or a dog and they live much longer.

Thanks about the weight loss. I was kinda surprised about it.

Hi KT!!

Glad to hear AT's doing better, and that you're rocking out your challenge :)  Look at you, moving on to the monks!  Way to go!!!

How's the knee feeling?

I forgot to take advil at work and my knees were killing me yesterday. Barely did anything in karate and went to bed as soon as I got home. I was not up to making dinner at all. In fact, it took forever to get to sleep because of it. Boo. Seriously, I hate my knees most days.

Week One Recap:

So, I messed up a couple days and I am having the normal issue with adjusting things to a weekend schedule (or lack there of). I completely forgot to stretch or do any work out on Saturday or Sunday. :( I'll get it though.

Task One- Karate. I attended both classes and then did the  leg exercises 4/7 days. Boo

Task Two- Stretch! I am doing the stretching and leg exercises together, so it is 4/7 as well. Double boo.

Task Three- Eat Right. I actually did this. My full paleo days were Friday and Saturday. 7/7 YAY!

Side Quest- Prioritize my life. I hung out with some friends on Wednesday and went to my brother's house to practice with my nephew on Thursday. It was nice to do something fun. YAY!

Weight loss- I lost 6.8 pounds. WOOT. I am getting back down to where I was before I started slacking. If this continues for a couple weeks, I will be concerned and start analyzing my macros to make sure this isn't muscle weight. I'm hope it is partially water weight from eating terribly for the last couple months.

So today I messed up. I decided I was going to have a drink with my coworker/ new really awesome friend N after work because of some drama. We needed that chill time. I had hard cider, which is pretty paleo, minus the sulfites. The issue is that it was Taco Tuesday and I completely blanked and ordered the hard shell ones because those are gluten free. This is the crap I used to do. I am pretty mad at myself for it. Mind you, the decision had nothing to do with the two drinks. I just autopilots on the dinner decision.

When I weighed in in the morning, I was down another 1.8lbs. What the heck? I know I skipped dinner last night, but really? Like I said in my weekly recap, if this trend continues, I'll have to check to make sure I'm eating enough protein and this isn't muscle mass going away.

I took advil throughout the morning and that helped the knees. They were completely poptastic this morning.

Bummer about the slip-up, KT. It can be really hard sometimes to break habits, and I know I've been guilty of the gluten free= a-ok trick as well.

But good on you for week one - you had a really successful week there. Great to hear that AT is on the mend.

I do believe I am still owed photos of him wearing the NF sticker (or at least blu-tacked to his back for, like, a minute). Eh? Eh? :D

6.8 lbs? In one week? You go grrl! Now get that focus back! (Heh, that's my mantra for these next few days, too, so I'm saying it to myself as much as to you.)

The weight loss the day after drinking could have been due to dehydration from the alcohol.

But almost 7 lbs in one week? That's awesome. 

I understand your concern about the macros. Wouldn't want to keep losing that fast without making sure it was fat you were losing.

Bummer about the slip-up, KT. It can be really hard sometimes to break habits, and I know I've been guilty of the gluten free= a-ok trick as well.

But good on you for week one - you had a really successful week there. Great to hear that AT is on the mend.

I do believe I am still owed photos of him wearing the NF sticker (or at least blu-tacked to his back for, like, a minute). Eh? Eh? :D

Yes you are. We have been having shedding issues with him, so Keba was all cautious. I think now that he is doing a massive shed, we will be OK (I think that was part of the issue. He wasn't shedding and did in a big way). He has a follow up appointment this morning. Once I am done posting it is time to wake up Keba.

Habits can be tricky to break through. The philosophy in my house is just to focus on doing the next right thing. Taco night is just a minor bump in your road. My knees have been aflame this week. I'm living on aleve. 

Knees sucks right now. I moved on, but it doesn't mean that I wasn't pissed at myself for such a stupid mistake.

wait, would he die just because he's upside down?  or like, for real reasons -- unable to eat and drink, or whatever.

Well, their organs are completely contained in the shell. If flipped over for a long period of time or jostled upside down, it could move organs or disconnect them from the shell. Or, since the lungs are on top, could crush the lungs. Turtles can't become obese because there is nowhere for the fat to go. They physically can't get a belly, so the fat crowds the organs and that could kill them too. The little dudes are tough in some respects, but so delicate in others.

6.8 lbs? In one week? You go grrl! Now get that focus back! (Heh, that's my mantra for these next few days, too, so I'm saying it to myself as much as to you.)

The weight loss the day after drinking could have been due to dehydration from the alcohol.

But almost 7 lbs in one week? That's awesome. 

I understand your concern about the macros. Wouldn't want to keep losing that fast without making sure it was fat you were losing.

I've been good for the rest of the week. Luckily, the normal girl issues have put my mind at ease in regards to losing too much. Stupid being a girl.

Hey! Just checking in! Still losing weight? =D

Also, I can use my GL superpowers and support your noble quests with at least putting on the table the idea of AT as the Monks Official Mascot in our next Monks Guild Leaders meeting. We hold one every week in here

Ooooh, I may use my limited GL powers and sneak in! Once Sam sees the photo (which will be taken once he is all better!) I will make sure you have it.

Woot! AT might get a promotion! Mascot - bet he never dreamed of glory like this when he was just a baby turtle.

Also, thank you for the turtle lesson, I will be sure NEVER to turn one upside down should I ever hold a turtle.

No, he didn't. He is just too adorable to not ba a mascot!

You, can turn them over, but not jostle. In the drawing, if the bottom one walked, that would jostle the top one too much. AT certainly hates it though. Eventhough that boy is a dare devil. Before I knew better, I had too much water in his tank and he would climb out... and then fall 4 feet because the tank was on a dresser. Still, I can see him breathe differently when upside down and

He peed on the vet so badly during his check up!

When mine gets a little bigger I am supposed to flip him over and clean his belly with a tooth brush once in a while. In the water he flips himself all the time, but he is still a tiny baby.

Kim Taura, do you have any picture of AT uploaded here?

I did in the past. Let me find one. And it is the jostling while upside that is generally a no-no. Snappers may be able to take it a little better, but it really is the jostling while being upside down that can be an issue.

Thumbs%20up%21_zpsdf88641a.jpg

This was from 2 summers ago while he was hanging out outside. He are careful to not let him wander too far away from us.

He is beautiful! How big will he get?

He may grow a couple more inches. Since that is over a year old, he is a little bit bigger. I am so thankful he is not a girl (or a big species like yours). I don't want to buy a 150 gallon tank!

Atta boy, AT! Stick it to 'the man'!

He is so smart, he is equating being picked up to the shot. Turtle defense is apparently peeing on you because that is what he does. Thankfully Friday is the last day for the shot. Then we will begin picking him up and taking him to his food so that he equates being held with good things.

RE the shitty situation today:

av0AzbE_460sa.gif

just keep on flying, KT.  <3

Today was calmer, thank the Gods, and I was able to talk to my friend for a bit. It will be difficult and weird for awhile, but at least it isn't so bad.

How indeed?

It is a mystery for the ages.

Week Two Recap:

I had the Taco Tuesday slip and still haven't adjusted to doing stuff on the weekends.

Task One- Karate. I attended both classes and then did the  leg exercises 5/7 days. Stupid weekends

Task Two- Stretch! I am doing the stretching and leg exercises together, so it is 5/7 as well. :(

Task Three- Eat Right. Messed up on Tuesday and then I only did 1 full paleo day. 5/7

Side Quest- Prioritize my life. I hung out with my coworker on Taco Tuesday and that was nice. I also spent some quality time with Mom.

Weight loss- I gained some weight back, but I am not surprised. The goal is to make through Thanksgiving (which will be a gluten free only day) and then do some hard core, 100% paleo days to make up for it. I want to hit 240, dammit!