I'm stoked to be joining the Assassins for my second challenge!

From my last challenge, to keep my eye on the Main Quest: 

My Main Quest is to be climbing a solid 5.10 in a few months. Once I'm there, I'll be focusing my quests on discipline-specific goals in lead-climbing, bouldering, and different types of rock (shale, sandstone, etc.) - ultimately, I'd like to be able to climb 5.13/v6 on most types of rock. To do that, I need to focus on three points: sharpening my skills on the rock, regaining flexibility, and most importantly, targeting my body comp (which has dramatically altered with pregnancy!). I estimate my current body composition via eyeballing around 26-27% (gulp) and would like to improve that to 19-20%, although I recognize this will not happen this challenge.

Last challenge, I lost approximately 7 pounds (177 to 170). My goal is to get to 150, which is a good weight that allows me to build strength and burn fat, and then fine-tune body comp from there. I'd estimate maybe two more challenges after this one to get there. I definitely improved my strength and flexibility - yesterday, I redpointed an outdoor climb I started last challenge, so that was very exciting.

So, this challenge, my main quest will be the same, but my objectives will be tweaked and simplified based on lessons learned last challenge: 

1. Sharpen skills on the rock: Get to the rock-climbing gym (or even better, outside!) at least twice per week for at least 90 minutes at a time for as long as my schedule allows. (Lesson: take it where I can get it. Some days might be four hours of climbing, others only one. Baby requires flexibility.)

2. Regain strength and flexibility: incorporate four home workouts into weekly schedule. This should alternate between interval sprints/calisthenics in the park, P90X, a climbing-specific hangboard workout (related side quest: install hangboard that is chilling in my living room), and yoga DVDs. The day after the most intense workout of the week, allow an active recovery day with just a long walk for exercise (> 1 hour). (Lesson: classes require too much time out of the day. Also, strength is equally important to flexibility, and it has also been severely compromised. Find a few intense, short home workouts to fill in the gaps.)

3. Target body comp: Keep carb count below 100 g/day by adhering 90% to Paleo guidelines (I do consume limited dairy and tolerate it well). Do a Whole30 - but make it last the whole challenge. So I guess it's a Whole42? Lesson: tracking is a pain and not really necessary. Use an eating plan that has proven effective for me in the past.) 

Overall, this amounts to one workout per day and a strict eating plan that does not require daily tracking. 

Life Quest: Determine new career path. This is going to require a lot of introspection and industry research.i

Motivation attached!

gallery_22770_697_234397.gif

post-22770-0-48052800-1384128330_thumb.p

Wood Elf Assassin

-------------------------------------

Battle log

First challenge

Second challenge

Current challenge

LVL 2 | STR 3 | DEX 7 | STA 5 | CON 2 | WIS 1 | CHA 0

"It goes, boys."  - Lynn Hill

Thanks, quietmuse - I started a battle log for the interim but decided instead to just take a break and re-evaluate. A good challenge to you, sir - I'll swing by your thread!

Cavemom - I agree, tracking generally just seems like more work than a more disciplined approach. I think the energy it takes to write everything down is better served just eating right to begin with...so we'll see if that works out a bit better. 

This morning is starting off well - my son has decided to sleep 12 hours straight, apparently. Fully energized for the first day!

Wood Elf Assassin

Battle log

First challenge

Second challenge

Current challenge

****This is a semi-automated message from your Robot guild leader.****

Hello and welcome to the assassin guild! I am Nuala and I'm your guild leader. First of all, I want to thank you for having chosen our guild as your first official one, it makes me really happy and proud. I really hope you will enjoy being with us and that you will find here all the support you need. 

What you need to know.

Whatever you do, remember that your challenge is your priority. Mini-challenges, guild activities, PVP are not mandatory. They are here for you to have fun, discover new exercises, have some friendly competitions but they must not hinder your progresses. If a mini-challenge seems too overwhelming for you, don't do it. I know this challenge will be difficult for many with Thanksgiving for the Americans Nerds and Christmas approaching. Just remember that failure only happens when you give up totally, not when you take a few days break.  :)

Being here with us will give you access to many other not mandatory activities, aka:

Creative mini-challenge. The creative mini-challenge will start on Monday, November 11 and will last the whole challenge (aka 6 weeks). As the name may suggest, you will be asked to do some creative media according to a theme.

Ex:

Assassin alphabet

Assassin ads

Participation in creative mini-challenges usually grant you +1 CHA if you decide to use the stat system.

Mini-challenges: Every other Mondays, I will publish a new mini-challenge. These one lasts one week and will ask you to do some special exercises. There will be 5 mini-challenges, the story telling will be done by VengefulPear.  Depending of the exercises, you will be able to earn one stat points for your participation. More infos in the mini-challenge thread.

PVP. PVP are competitions started by other members of the rebellion. If you enjoy measuring yourself to other, they may be the right thing for you. I can suggest you:

- Juggling PVP: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39383-november-11-december-22-juggling-pvp/

- Handstand PVP: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39126-november-5th-december-31st-handstands-pvp/

- Poses in unusual places: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/16638-poses-in-unusual-places/

- Crazy jump rope PVP http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39112-nov-4th-unlimited-jump-rope-challenge/

- Hooray: http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/24603-pvs-the-honorable-order-of-rebellious-appraising-yeomen/

Of course, these are only example, feel free to check the PVP forum to find or even make your own PVP! Remember to check the rules though  :)

What I expect from you!

Consistency, awesomeness and regular updates. One update at the end of the challenge won't do, I want to be able to see you are still here with us. One Update a week is a minimum. More would be even better  :)

Don't stay by yourself. If you want people to follow your thread and support you, you may have to do the same. You will probably find many people who share the same goals as you, go visit their thread, cheer on them and they will probably do the same. 

Make sure you subscribe to the announcement thread:

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39116-guild-information-and-announcements-subscribe/

And if you don't want to subscribe, make at least sure you read it once a week. I usually update it on Monday to present the new mini-challenge and Assassin most wanted list. 

Don't stay by yourself bis! The assassin's den is open to all, you have funny gifs to share, a story to tell, needs some advices or just want a place to chat? The Assassin's den is the place to go (also, we have corgis)!

http://rebellion.nerdfitness.com/index.php?/topic/39117-the-assassins-den-ask-an-assassin-general-chat/

What else?

If you have any problems, questions or suggestions for the guild, feel free to send me a PM. Also, I'm still looking for journalists to work on the weekly most wanted list. The job is quite simple albeit a bit time consuming. PM me for more details.

Sorry for the wall of text! I wish you luck for this challenge!  :D

****This was a semi-automated message from your Robot guild leader.****

Nuala, level 13 Robot mistress of pain, Assassin Guild leader

First journey: The Rise and fall of an Assassin

#1, #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, #8, #9, #10, #11, #12, #13

Second journey: Crawling back

Glad to see that you're here!  Your challenge looks intense enough that I'm sure you'll be back on the 5.10's in no time.  :)  I'll be eagerly watching to see how the P90x stuff goes.  I've looked into doing P90x for awhile, but I've never been sure how to integrate it with my climbing sessions without basically over-training and overtiring myself (and then having crappy climbing sessions from my muscles being too sore).  So, I've just been kind of randomly doing whatever I want for my misc. strength training. 

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

@Nuala, thanks for the semi-automated message full of good info!  :joyous:

@Nymeria: I was definitely looking to up the intensity while cutting back on the time required; I'm only making it to the gym/rock twice a week, usually Thursday and then one weekend day. So I thought a good tough workout like P90X around Tuesday would be good. Then I could do my active recovery after that, and yoga after my gym workout. We'll see how it goes. 

Grading update (I always forget this!):

1. Rock climbing 2x/week (+1 STR, +2 DEX, +1 STA):

A - Made it twice.

C - Made it once.

F - Made it NONE TIMES (sad week)

2. Four workouts plus active recovery day (+2 STR, +1 STA):

A - All four plus active recovery.

B - Missed one day.

C - Missed two days.

D - Missed three days.

F - Missed four or all five days.

3. Whole30 rules (+3 CON):

A - Perfect.

C - 1-2 cheat foods, all gluten-free.

F - Nope, not this week.

Two A weeks in a row earn me a slice of pie. That's for Turkey Day :-)

Wood Elf Assassin

Battle log

First challenge

Second challenge

Current challenge

I would recommend changing your climbing goal to permit yourself an alternate strength workout if something comes up and you can't make it.  Maybe look up some intense climbing strength training exercises or let yourself sub in a P90x strength day.  It would be kind of discouraging to punish yourself if you have a child related reason why you can't make it to the gym (like the baby gets sick or something).

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Nymeria, that's a really good point. If I can install my hangboard then I can put together a solid home climbing workout. Of course, by order of preference, I'd rather get outside, and if I can't go out, then the gym, and if I can't do that, then a home workout. Regardless, I think I'll adjust my grading:

1. Rock climbing 2x/week (+1 STR, +2 DEX, +1 STA):

A - Made it twice (climbing OR climbing-specific home workout)

C - Made it once. (one climbing-related workout)

F - Made it NONE TIMES (sad week)

Wood Elf Assassin

Battle log

First challenge

Second challenge

Current challenge

Did "Happy Hamstrings" on doyogawithme (thanks quietmuse!). Was a great alternative to a yoga class, which I didn't get to do today because REASONS, i.e. my husband took my car keys by mistake and I had to walk to the store. Sigh. But I did it! So, yay.

Wood Elf Assassin

Battle log

First challenge

Second challenge

Current challenge

Welcome to the Assassins! I like your goals, especially the rock-climbing Main Quest. Looking forward to seeing how your Whole42 goes, too - I'm always interested in how that sort of plan works for people vs calorie tracking. I think it depends a lot on personal preferences - calorie tracking works better for me because I hate feeling like I can't have certain foods - so knowing that I can have them, they just have to fit into my calorie/macro needs for the day, makes me much more relaxed. But I know tracking stresses some people out completely, so something like Paleo makes more sense. All that to say - good job figuring out what works for you, and good luck!

Level 13 Elven Assassin
Challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Current
Whatever you can do or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. - Goethe

I completely agree with this: "Lesson: tracking is a pain and not really necessary." Instead I found an app that allows me to track meals without counting anything. I still only use it almost never. 

I just started climbing a few months back and have fallen in love. I try to get to our local wall at least a couple times a week. Looking forward to seeing how you progress getting back into it!

LVL 2 Human Assassin
STR 2 | DEX 3 | STA 2 | CON 2 | WIS 1 | CHA 2

Second Challenge

First Challenge

Thanks for the good luck!

So I just have to say, today I have eaten so many eggs. Why so many eggs? I must just be the laziest Paleo-er ever. Hardboiled eggs, eggs over easy, eggs for every meal, STOP WITH THE EGGS ARTIE JEEZ. Sorry, everyone, there are no more chickens, artemiscuous ate ALL THEIR BABIES.

Today I will run with my husband, even though it is minus a thousand degrees (or 38 F - I was pretty close). He has been after me to run with him forever, so he's happy. I just want to do sprints, so maybe we can race a little in the park after we warm up. I'm not really an endurance runner. There's no faster way to get me to leave a conversation than to try to convince me to run a marathon/half-marathon/10K benefit run/for the hell of it run. 

gallery_22770_697_294100.gif

How does me torturing myself help with the cure? Can I just give the foundation a hundred dollars? And do other people really need me to run a marathon in order to give money to cancer research? Seems like they should want cancer research to have their money regardless of whether I spend four hours gasping for air and wishing I were dead.

I don't do masochism. Unless it entails mountains, I guess.

Wood Elf Assassin

Battle log

First challenge

Second challenge

Current challenge

Almost wimped out on the run because of a slight stomachache and chilly temps. Also, because I don't really dig running. But I did it! I want to create a habit - working out every day - and I can't do that when I'm chickening out at every light breeze. Running is one of the few things I can do easily, even when I don't have a lot of time, so I need to incorporate it into my workout cycle. I did kind of enjoy racing the hubby - my first burst of speed totally dusted him, but I am pretty out of shape and he runs like four times a week, so he beat me by a long shot every time we raced. I totally took advantage - started my sprint while yelling "Race you to that lamp!" which made me feel about ten years old. 

Wood Elf Assassin

Battle log

First challenge

Second challenge

Current challenge

Almost wimped out on the run because of a slight stomachache and chilly temps. Also, because I don't really dig running. But I did it! I want to create a habit - working out every day - and I can't do that when I'm chickening out at every light breeze. Running is one of the few things I can do easily, even when I don't have a lot of time, so I need to incorporate it into my workout cycle. I did kind of enjoy racing the hubby - my first burst of speed totally dusted him, but I am pretty out of shape and he runs like four times a week, so he beat me by a long shot every time we raced. I totally took advantage - started my sprint while yelling "Race you to that lamp!" which made me feel about ten years old. 

haha, sounds like you guys had fun.Keep at it, and soon you will be beating him more often

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

I'm not really an endurance runner. There's no faster way to get me to leave a conversation than to try to convince me to run a marathon/half-marathon/10K benefit run/for the hell of it run.

I don't do masochism. Unless it entails mountains, I guess.

Haha.  Me too.  If I'm running and not doing something fun with it, like playing tag or some sort of sport, then you can be almost certain that the zombie horde is chasing me.  Running is so boring.

I did kind of enjoy racing the hubby - my first burst of speed totally dusted him, but I am pretty out of shape recently had a baby and he runs like four times a week, so he beat me by a long shot every time we raced.

There.  Fixed that for you.  :)  Don't push yourself too hard or feel too disappointed that you're not performing as well now as you were before pregnancy.  Getting fully back in the swing of things takes a lot of time. 

My tutorials:

Haha thanks Nym. You are correct, of course. I do mean to be optimistic in general - just wait until I've got a few more challenges under my belt.  :playful:

haha, sounds like you guys had fun.Keep at it, and soon you will be beating him more often

That is my goal! Haha. I don't want to hurt his feels too much, though. I'll still let him win sometimes. Direct quote: "You almost got me that time, but I guess my male ego turned on or something." 

gallery_22770_697_177707.gif

Anyway, tonight I'm doing a BW workout from the old BodyRock website, if anyone ever followed that stuff. I haven't visited in awhile since the Great Breakup Drama but it's 

2 rounds of 6 exercises, 40 sec work/20 sec break, for a total of 12 minutes:

Burpees

Plie squats

Reptile pushups

Jump lunges

Prisoner getups

Pike presses

Short but deadly. 

Wood Elf Assassin

Battle log

First challenge

Second challenge

Current challenge

Today is just full of no. Ugh.

Remember that scene in Fight Club where they blow up all the credit card companies? Who wants to do that with me?

gallery_22770_697_1006769.gif

Just kidding. But seriously though.

gallery_22770_697_303662.gif

Anyway, I'm getting used to skipping the cream in my coffee, although it still gives me the sads, a little. Those Whole9 people are not messing around, though. They are pretty adamant that unless I've quit heroin, I don't get to complain about no cream in my coffee. How about getting sober from alcohol? Not hardcore enough?

I have got to shake it off - I'm just getting really bummed lately. It's weird because until now I've felt really good, I was out of the PPD-risk woods (did not have to deal with that, thank gods - I actually felt better than I had in months after I had my bean), but I guess this is just regular sads. Or maybe SAD. I don't know. Whatever. I like my new haircut. And they gave me a head massage. That head massage is the highlight of my week.

sml_gallery_22770_758_110595.jpg

I feel like this is a picture where I'm not suffering from bitchy restingface and my hair looks pretty so I posted it. The end.

ETA: I'm also going to the climbin' gym tonight with my sister. Yay!

Wood Elf Assassin

Battle log

First challenge

Second challenge

Current challenge

Cute haircut! Hope the rest of the day goes better. Can you replace the cream with coconut cream (the thick creamy part) ? Not exactly the same, but it might help. Wonder if by dropping dairy now you are a bit low on fat. Try adding an avocado a day a see if that helps your mood

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

Elastigirl's idea is good.  Try canned coconut milk in your coffee.  If you get the full fat kind, it's just as thick as creamer.  It's not really sweet, but doing a whole30 (42) makes you crave sweets less and less.  I'm like you though, when I did a whole30 I thought there was no way I could give up creamer in my coffee.  But I did it, and now always drink coffee black; creamer tastes weird.

Brenda

Cave-dwelling Druid

Current Challenge

Some days are just "no", I think.  I have no super helpful advice...other than some days are for "no" and I try to make sure to make the most of the "not-no" days.

And Whole30 is hardcore...I'm not detail-oriented enough to try.

Keep at it - we'll get where we're going!

quietmuse, level 4 fledgling assassin

STR 9 | DEX 7.5 | STA 10.5 | CON 5 | WIS 4 | CHA 4

My Blog

Challenge 4 | 3 |2 | 1

(archived)

Handstand PvP

Cute haircut! Hope the rest of the day goes better. Can you replace the cream with coconut cream (the thick creamy part) ? Not exactly the same, but it might help. Wonder if by dropping dairy now you are a bit low on fat. Try adding an avocado a day a see if that helps your mood

Elastigirl's idea is good.  Try canned coconut milk in your coffee.  If you get the full fat kind, it's just as thick as creamer.  It's not really sweet, but doing a whole30 (42) makes you crave sweets less and less.  I'm like you though, when I did a whole30 I thought there was no way I could give up creamer in my coffee.  But I did it, and now always drink coffee black; creamer tastes weird.

Great ideas! I think fat is probably what I am low on. When I was tracking more closely, I tended to be lower in the fat macro % compared to most Paleo recommendations. I think I have to get a little more used to the texture of animal fat; in the meantime, I can get behind coconut cream and avocado. The coconut cream sounds like a great idea, because I just use half-and-half in my coffee and the coconut milk "creamer" in the store has sugar in it. I don't know why I never thought of just the regular cream! 

Rock climbing sounds like a blast! Once I get into better shape, I might want to try it…. after I hear your reports, that is.  ;)

Do it to get into better shape! :-) That's what I'm doing. It's so fun that you don't even realize it's good for you. I'm kind of a climbing evangelist, I guess, lol.

Some days are just "no", I think.  I have no super helpful advice...other than some days are for "no" and I try to make sure to make the most of the "not-no" days.

And Whole30 is hardcore...I'm not detail-oriented enough to try.

Keep at it - we'll get where we're going!

It's funny, I give that same advice out - just give yourself a break, make the most of days when you feel good - and then I forget to take it sometimes :-)

Anyway, the past few days have been super busy but good. I went climbing Thursday, which was fun. I ended up sore in my shins the next day, which was...unusual, for me, but I took advantage of the fresh feeling in my upper body to do a climbing-specific pulling and finger workout - slow lowering from the top of a pull-up, and dead hangs from slopers and crimps. Saturday I did a kickboxing class with my sister at the Y. We were both a bit disappointed that there was no actual hitting of punching bags, but we did get a good jumping-around workout and did approximately a gajillion squats. Today was my long walk day, which was good because I was beat and felt lazy. It was nice to just hang out at home with my family. I did have rice yesterday (it was my friend's engagement party at a sushi restaurant), so I am going to get a C for this past week. I'm starting to think Whole30 is a bit harsh for me. I may have to go back to tracking in future challenges. Was hoping to get away from it as it's so time-intensive, but it's a little more forgiving in situations like that, or in a couple of weeks at Thanksgiving.

My weekly weight check-in showed that I am continuing to lose at about 1.5 lbs a week, which I'm comfortable with. 

Rock skillz goal - A
Every day workout goal - A
Nutrition goal - C

Next week, here I come!

Wood Elf Assassin

Battle log

First challenge

Second challenge

Current challenge

That is a little harsh that you get a C for just a little bit of rice. boo. You've done really great this past week. You're making me want  to look into rock climbing. I feel like I might suck at it, but I always enjoy pushing myself to learn something new.

Great job!

I'm a time traveler, but I can only go one way and only a second at a time.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines