• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Teirin

Teirin gets back to Judo

Study - The O Uchi Gari article above, and more time watching these videos on an alternate grip for Tai Otoshi.

That version of tai otoshi is interesting.  We have similarly-named throw in aikido, but you don't get under the person (which makes sense given the differences between Judo and Aikido).  But it's definitely an interesting variant on how to toss someone down.

Well, it doesn't help any that size is a determining factor in how things go in Judo. It is.

I really wish I could argue this and say that size doesn't matter. It does. More skill only mitigates the disparity, it doesn't eliminate it. Thats why there are weapons in the martial arts. ;)

Well, it doesn't help any that size is a determining factor in how things go in Judo. It is.

Sad, but true.

That version of tai otoshi is interesting.  We have similarly-named throw in aikido, but you don't get under the person (which makes sense given the differences between Judo and Aikido).  But it's definitely an interesting variant on how to toss someone down.

That version exaggerates it, but it's still quite true in general.  We spend all of our time either trying to get lower and closer to better flip your partner or on top of them to hold them down.

I really wish I could argue this and say that size doesn't matter. It does. More skill only mitigates the disparity, it doesn't eliminate it. Thats why there are weapons in the martial arts. ;)

Mmm, I'd like to do some striking and weapons work at some point but not yet.  I cannot handle multiple martial arts at once with everything else.

So, the guild challenge for the first week was taking a cold shower (partial or whatever).  I have a shared hot water tank so cold shocks happen whenever a neighbour is also using the hot water.  Did it happen at all last week?  No.  Did it happen this morning?  Yes.  It went lukewarm first so I backed out of the water before it got *really* cold.  Still funny though.

A good thing Judo and Jujitsu do is make you hard to handle. When you get good it will be very hard for any man what ever his size, to restrain you. I think that is the most important thing. You are used to men grabbing you and you are training to basically slip their grasp. You probably already knew that.

A good thing Judo and Jujitsu do is make you hard to handle. When you get good it will be very hard for any man what ever his size, to restrain you. I think that is the most important thing. You are used to men grabbing you and you are training to basically slip their grasp. You probably already knew that.

Yep, self defence was a significant factor in friends talking me into trying Judo in the first place. 

• Like 1

Study - The O Uchi Gari article above, and more time watching these videos on an alternate grip for Tai Otoshi.

Yes, very interesting.  I have never heard that name before in aikido, but I have seen the throw.  I would consider it risky because it depends on uke maintaining a strong grip on nage's collar.  Not an unreasonable assumption if the hand coming up on the opposite side does a feint to the face before moving to the elbow.

The thing that struck me as odd was how the fall ended.  I'm sure he was doing it that way on purpose because he did it every time.  Both ankles bounced on the mat.  That has got to hurt if you do it over and over.  It would be dangerous on a less forgiving surface.  The form I'm used to for hard falls has the upper knee bent and the other leg straight.  You can hear the difference between a fall with good form and a bad one.  A good fall goes "thump!".  A bad fall goes "thump-thump-thump".

Hmmm.  I won't say that size doesn't matter in aikido.  It does.  Being smaller is a significant advantage at the higher ranks.  Getting under the other person's center of gravity makes everything easier. 

Smaller people have a harder time at the beginning.  Strong people can fake doing techniques when they are learning.  That works until they have to train with people their own size.  Then they discover they have been using muscle instead of deveoping skill.

It makes a lot of sense when you think about it.  The founder of aikido was a very short man.

I hope this week is off to a better start for you.

Yes, very interesting.  I have never heard that name before in aikido, but I have seen the throw.  I would consider it risky because it depends on uke maintaining a strong grip on nage's collar.  Not an unreasonable assumption if the hand coming up on the opposite side does a feint to the face before moving to the elbow.

The thing that struck me as odd was how the fall ended.  I'm sure he was doing it that way on purpose because he did it every time.  Both ankles bounced on the mat.  That has got to hurt if you do it over and over.  It would be dangerous on a less forgiving surface.  The form I'm used to for hard falls has the upper knee bent and the other leg straight.  You can hear the difference between a fall with good form and a bad one.  A good fall goes "thump!".  A bad fall goes "thump-thump-thump".

When we do that technique at my dojo, uke is never grabbing nage's collar.  What normally happens is nage grabs around the wrist and extends outwards at uke's elbow (or mid-bicep) and move forward that way.  And I noticed his falls, too.  Definitely not the pretties breakfalls I've heard - though I've learned "good breakfalls" will have two thumps (one leg, one hand) that go in rapid succession.  But who the hell knows, I'm clueless for the most part.

Hmmm.  I won't say that size doesn't matter in aikido.  It does.  Being smaller is a significant advantage at the higher ranks.  Getting under the other person's center of gravity makes everything easier. 

Smaller people have a harder time at the beginning.  Strong people can fake doing techniques when they are learning.  That works until they have to train with people their own size.  Then they discover they have been using muscle instead of deveoping skill.

It makes a lot of sense when you think about it.  The founder of aikido was a very short man.

Good grief that's a true statement.  I have to drop my center so much since I'm taller than most people at the dojo.  Shihonage on a short person?  It kills me (or I inadvertently cause people to feel what the rack torture device felt like).  That being said, I do my best to not muscle my way through things.  I fail.  A lot.

I hope this week is off to a better start for you.

Thanks, should be fine! 

By Judo standards, as long as Tori has a good grip on Uke's arm, Uke's grip on Tori is less important.  There are a number of throws where Uke has no grip on Tori at all during the fall.  This variant is actually particularly well set up for that as the second hand is already at the elbow to provide additional support if needed. 

Will have to check on the foot positioning tomorrow night.  Not sure if that's him or the throw.  I'll just have to get thrown with it to check :-) 

Yes, size can be used overmuch at lower belts in Judo in a similar manner.  However, if you're working with someone who is the same technique level but bigger, they're still going to have an advantage due to their size and because they'll know how to use it well.  Judo does operate somewhat differently than Aikido and size IS an advantage here, especially in groundwork.  Personally, I like working with the bigger high-belt guys because they tend to be more aware of their size and strength and how they use it.  They still kick my butt.  I'm working on it.

Popping in to say hi and that I like your challenge.

So, the guild challenge for the first week was taking a cold shower (partial or whatever).  I have a shared hot water tank so cold shocks happen whenever a neighbour is also using the hot water.  Did it happen at all last week?  No.  Did it happen this morning?  Yes.  It went lukewarm first so I backed out of the water before it got *really* cold.  Still funny though.

Also that is hilarious.

This has been an interesting conversation to pop in on! We have an Iado/ Aikido instructor at our dojo, so I have seen Aikido. Interesting to read some fo the differences. I am curious how the throw goes.

Nov 19, 2013 - Week 2 - Had a great night at Judo!

Bow in

Warmup and stretching

Breakfalls

Newaza

Stationary uchikomis

moving uchikomis

Max throws in 30sec (crashmat involved - we have noobs)

Drop Seio Nage, though several people were more using Seio Otoshi

Judo games - Japanese Bulldog, hopping game, and jump tag

Bow out

We snuck in a few tries at that Tai Otoshi variant.  We were trying it with fairly slow speed as this was the first time we had a chance and the feet definitely hit after.  Sensei heard two thumps.  The fall felt fine though. 

Supplemental strength training:

3x3 Chinups - 2 full chin-ups, 2 to 3 min between sets

3x10 Dips 60s between sets

L-Sit practice

3x3 Pullup negatives 45s between sets, should be longer

30 Squats

With all of the uchikomis and pushups there was plenty of horizontal pushing and pulling.  Have to figure out my rest times before I can try to decrease them! 

Popping in to say hi and that I like your challenge.

Also that is hilarious.

Woohoo!  Entertained someone!

This has been an interesting conversation to pop in on! We have an Iado/ Aikido instructor at our dojo, so I have seen Aikido. Interesting to read some fo the differences. I am curious how the throw goes.

Pretty well, we've agreed that we're going to work on it more when Sensei permits.

Bow in

Warmup and stretching

Breakfalls

Newaza

Stationary uchikomis

moving uchikomis

Max throws in 30sec (crashmat involved - we have noobs)

Drop Seio Nage, though several people were more using Seio Otoshi

Judo games - Japanese Bulldog, hopping game, and jump tag

Bow out

We snuck in a few tries at that Tai Otoshi variant.  We were trying it with fairly slow speed as this was the first time we had a chance and the feet definitely hit after.  Sensei heard two thumps.  The fall felt fine though. 

I'm not sure what much of this stuff means, lol, but it sounds pretty awesome.

Judo has gamesWHAT. We were never told of this in my dojo. It's just newaza to uchikomi to randori and that's it.

That's it. Screw winter. I'm going to Canada.

Yay for having a great night at Judo!  Good that the fall felt fine.  Spreading out the impact so nothing gets hurt is the important part.

We do like games up here. :)

True, we do.

Judo has gamesWHAT. We were never told of this in my dojo. It's just newaza to uchikomi to randori and that's it.

That's it. Screw winter. I'm going to Canada.

We mostly only play them with the kids but we play sometimes with the adult class, especially if there are more juveniles there.

I have a DVD with 111 Judo games to review.  It's called 101 Judo games but there are 10 bonus games.  Here's the trailer.  They all have some kind of Judo focus in that you need to turn someone over (with them resisting), get into position for throws, maintain balance or something like that.  Most clubs around here are big on teaching the kids with games instead of more formal classes.  I have mixed feelings on that as the kids are capable of more but they do have a LOT of fun and end up running more than with a more formal structure.

Two of the ones I mentioned are good for the adults as well: 

Japanese bulldog involves putting a few people in the middle of the mats (bulldogs) and everyone else tries to crawl past them and get to the other side without being turned over and put on their backs.  Anyone turned over joins the bulldogs.  The game continues for x number of passes or until the last person is turned over.  We also play a variant sometimes (kids only) where we make ALL of the kids bulldogs and see if they can turn over the 2 or 3 instructors before we manage to make it to the other side.  The kids usually lose, we do a stupid victory dance and the parents laugh their butts off.

Jump tag is adults only:  One person is it and has to tag someone else to be it but can only tag someone while coming out of a forward or backward roll.  MASS CHAOS.  Also, lots of fun.  As previously mentioned, we are a more casual club and we like to have some fun.

• Like 1

No Judo tonight :-( 

My stomach is somewhat upset again, there's a headache and I've been oddly hot this afternoon.  Hope it passes and I'm not coming down with something. 

On the nice side of things:  the restaurant we're having the company Christmas dinner at has some things that I can theoretically eat.  My boss checked when he made the reservation :-)  They're also one of the nicer places in the area and are more likely to know what they're doing, I think.  He knows that I am very paranoid about my food but keeps trying to include me.  I really appreciate it.  I'll check them out and if they give me the right answers I may try eating at a restaurant for the first time in years.

DARN IT.

NO.

You are not allowed to get sick. We've already got one down, I'm not losin' another one!

DARN IT.

NO.

You are not allowed to get sick. We've already got one down, I'm not losin' another one!

1.  What?  Who's sick? Are they going to be ok?

2.  Meh, this is not likely to last. 

3.  My boss said pretty much the same thing.

1.  What?  Who's sick? Are they going to be ok?

2.  Meh, this is not likely to last. 

3.  My boss said pretty much the same thing.

PhoenixBurning basically got the sickness and is currently down with it. We don't even know what it is, it just... is.

PhoenixBurning basically got the sickness and is currently down with it. We don't even know what it is, it just... is.

Oh no :-(