Teirin gets back to Judo

A ) Those Judo games sound amazing.  Closest I've seen to 'games' in aikido is a zomb-dori.  The ukes had the goal of trying to overwhelm the tori and the tori could not do throws, just dodge the oncoming horde ukes.

B ) Feel better!

Ditto on feeling better!

Our aikido kids play several games.  One of the really fun ones to watch is shiko tag.  Just like regular tag but doing shiko (knee-walking).  Anyone who stands up is disqualified.

They also play "sensei says".  The sensei will tell them to do simple moves like tenkan or back rolls.  It tends to be pretty fast.  Most of the time the direction starts with "Sensei says ___".  If someone moves when the instruction does not include "Sensei says", they are out.  It is good practice for listening carefully.

Stuff we do in adult class is more like exercises than games.  There is the rolling over rocks challenge.  This is the one where two people crouch into rocks on the floor and everyone else goes around the room in a circle rolling over (or next to) them.  If the class is doing well additional rocks are added for distance, or the rocks get higher.

My favorite is eyes-closed aikido.  No anticipating what to do, you have to completely respond to the energy coming at you.  Attacks are limited to grabs.

Glad you are feeling better.

We have games for the kids in my dojo and the adult will sometimes join in. After almost breaking the large mirror, older kids AMD adult can't play crab soccer. We were pretty disasteous back in the day, but we used our karate kicks to kick the ball. Muhahahahaha My current favorite is Dragon. The adult grabs 2 foam sticks and those are the head and the tail of the dragon. The kids have to duck or jump as the 2 sticks swing around. The other way is if you randomly come after the kids with the sticks and they have to block it. That is a good exercise for the adult on not telegraphing.

Nov 23, 2013 - Week 2

NF Warmup
20 burpees
30 lunges (15 each side)
3x10 military press pushups ~1 min rest between sets

L-sit practice - I've done better on this one
3x10 dip ~45 sec between sets
4x1 chin-ups - only counting full chin-ups now  ~ 2min between sets
3x10 tuck jumps ~30 sec between sets
3x3 pull-up negatives ~ 1 min between sets
30 squats
3x5 rows
Planks  - RKC and side - 45s each
3x5 hip lift
Fingertip pushups from the knees
Some of the extensor exercises
Flexor work with my gripper and a text book.

stretching

Notes:

- It is really windy out today.  Glad I'm working out inside.

- Not really enough data to determine if my rest times are decreasing so I'm passing on this week's guild challenge.

- Past time for a haircut.  My ponytail is getting long enough to smack me in the face during burpees/jumping exercises.  It also needs to be in a bun for judo so I don't smack anyone else.

Doctor Who 50th Anniversary!  Going over to a friend's place and we're going to watch some of the specials though the iTunes release of The Day of the Doctor isn't likely to be available until tomorrow :-(  No theatre release here either.  Too bad.

Well, even if you don't do the challenge, it's still worthwhile to test this kind of thing and see how long you're resting. Information isn't always the best thing to have, but in this case, more of it is very useful.

Nov 23, 2013 - Week 2

Doctor Who 50th Anniversary!  Going over to a friend's place and we're going to watch some of the specials though the iTunes release of The Day of the Doctor isn't likely to be available until tomorrow :-(  No theatre release here either.  Too bad.

No spoilers, but you're in for a treat.

Well, even if you don't do the challenge, it's still worthwhile to test this kind of thing and see how long you're resting. Information isn't always the best thing to have, but in this case, more of it is very useful.

Yep, I'm starting to pay attention to it now. Thanks :-)

A ) Those Judo games sound amazing.  Closest I've seen to 'games' in aikido is a zomb-dori.  The ukes had the goal of trying to overwhelm the tori and the tori could not do throws, just dodge the oncoming horde ukes.

B ) Feel better!

Neat!  We have a zombie game but it does involve throwing whoever comes at you.  The point is to be able to adapt and throw people coming in from different angles with whatever grip and throw works for that situation, instead of just using one throw or grip all of the time.  Best way to get people to work on their offside :-) 

Our aikido kids play several games.  One of the really fun ones to watch is shiko tag.  Just like regular tag but doing shiko (knee-walking).  Anyone who stands up is disqualified.

They also play "sensei says".  The sensei will tell them to do simple moves like tenkan or back rolls.  It tends to be pretty fast.  Most of the time the direction starts with "Sensei says ___".  If someone moves when the instruction does not include "Sensei says", they are out.  It is good practice for listening carefully.

Stuff we do in adult class is more like exercises than games.  There is the rolling over rocks challenge.  This is the one where two people crouch into rocks on the floor and everyone else goes around the room in a circle rolling over (or next to) them.  If the class is doing well additional rocks are added for distance, or the rocks get higher.

My favorite is eyes-closed aikido.  No anticipating what to do, you have to completely respond to the energy coming at you.  Attacks are limited to grabs.

Taking notes for stuff to introduce to our classes, thanks!  We do play Sensei-says though we call it Kano says (founder of Judo).

Glad you are feeling better.

We have games for the kids in my dojo and the adult will sometimes join in. After almost breaking the large mirror, older kids AMD adult can't play crab soccer. We were pretty disasteous back in the day, but we used our karate kicks to kick the ball. Muhahahahaha My current favorite is Dragon. The adult grabs 2 foam sticks and those are the head and the tail of the dragon. The kids have to duck or jump as the 2 sticks swing around. The other way is if you randomly come after the kids with the sticks and they have to block it. That is a good exercise for the adult on not telegraphing.

Crab soccer. I like it.  Thanks for sharing!

Week 2 review:

Judo - Made it Tuesday and it was a great class!  Not so much on Thursday

Workout - twice, up to 4 chin ups

Study - not so much, unless I include talking about games here

Life - Finished my Accounting course!  Calculated final mark should be 93% and I'm quite happy with that.  OTOH, I was borrowing stress earlier.  Fretting about Christmas again.

Overall:

Judo - 0/1 - 1/1

Workout - 1/1 - 1/1

Study - 1/1 - 0/1

Nov 26, 2013 - Week 3 Tuesday Judo class

Bow in

Warmup and stretching

pushups incrementing to 10

Newaza

Orange belt throw review and grading

Max throws in 1 min

Technique review - O Uchi Gari

Meditation

Bow out

It was a fairly slack night by Judo standards. 

Supplemental strength training:

4x1 Chin-ups, 2 min between sets

30 lunges (15 each side)

3x10 Dips 60s between sets

L-Sit practice

30 Squats

3x5 rows

Don't you love doing strength training after martial arts? You just get that awesome sense of fatigue going in and it never really goes away...

Yep, also love that day after workout feeling from doing both! 

It generally means that I can compensate some for quieter nights at Judo, like last night.  I wished I could do some burpees in with the supplementary work last night.   Alas, it was too late and it would annoy my neighbours. 

I do not think that word means what you think it means. ;)

:-)  Yes, we're weirdos, I know.  I hope you find some kind of exercise you like that much.

So, confession bear time. I have not worked out since Tuesday. I'm having trouble sleeping again and I'm just not up to it overmuch. It's gotten a bit better the last few nights but the deficit is high. I'm going to try it tomorrow. It probably sounds lame but I really am not up to it when I'm that tired. Also, my coordination and attention span are the first few things to go. That ends poorly. On the upside, I'm doing much better than last year. Last year, working out fizzled out in November and didn't resume until January. I will be working out more but I've decided that I'm not going to give myself crap over any workout failings this year. Which leads to......

OTOH, I've been fairly introspective the last few days and I think I've sorted a few things out. Wrt how I talk to myself, I am very self-critical and I need to lighten up. I've caught a lot of internal statements this week that ran very negative. Sometimes it's a statement of fact and it's fair but sometimes it's self defeating. This did however lead to a much more interesting line of thought. I realized that a lot of the negativity related to Christmas and I settled into figuring out when I came to dread it. Have now sorted that out so that should improve but it lead me to figure out that I also build negative associations very easily. I can fix that.

On the fun side of things, finally got to see the Doctor Who 50th anniversary special and it was awesome. I also got Final Fantasy XIV and have been playing that a fair bit. I'm really enjoying it.

Mm, fatigue makes cowards of us all. Vince Lombardi. Wise man.

I'm sorry to hear that this is not a happy time of year for you. This time tends to either be very much a joyous time, or very much not one, and it doesn't seem like there's much in between. I hope that you becoming aware of this helps you get out of the funk, and if there's anything we can do to help, let us know.

I'm sorry to hear that this is not a happy time of year for you. This time tends to either be very much a joyous time, or very much not one, and it doesn't seem like there's much in between. I hope that you becoming aware of this helps you get out of the funk, and if there's anything we can do to help, let us know.

It has been happy in the past and it will be again.  I built up a lot of negative associations last year so I'm working on clearing those and dealing with actual potential problems for this year.  Thanks :-)

On the upside, I'm doing much better than last year. Last year, working out fizzled out in November and didn't resume until January. I will be working out more but I've decided that I'm not going to give myself crap over any workout failings this year. Which leads to......

OTOH, I've been fairly introspective the last few days and I think I've sorted a few things out. Wrt how I talk to myself, I am very self-critical and I need to lighten up. I've caught a lot of internal statements this week that ran very negative. Sometimes it's a statement of fact and it's fair but sometimes it's self defeating. This did however lead to a much more interesting line of thought. I realized that a lot of the negativity related to Christmas and I settled into figuring out when I came to dread it. Have now sorted that out so that should improve but it lead me to figure out that I also build negative associations very easily. I can fix that.

Good for you for figuring out the issue and how to fix it. :)  The short days this time of year make many of us want to hibernate.  I slept 9 hours last night for no obvious reason.  Maybe I'm fighting off some bug or other.

I hear you on the balance between fatigue and exercise.  Moving is good when you are feeling down, but doing difficult things when you are too tired to concentrate is a recipe for injury.  I hope you get rested up and back to normal soon.

Dec 1, 2013 - Week 3

100 jumping jacks
20 burpees
30 lunges (15 each side)
3x10 military press pushups ~1 min rest between sets
3x10 dip ~45 sec between sets
4x1 chin-ups ~ 2min between sets
30 squats
3x5 rows
Planks  - RKC and side (rather wobbly today) - 45s each
stretching

Notes:

- wanted to work out today but didn't get my act together until late.  This is the compromise solution.
- I did get a good night of sleep last night.  Another couple will settle the sleep deficit, if I can get them.

Good for you for figuring out the issue and how to fix it. :)  The short days this time of year make many of us want to hibernate.  I slept 9 hours last night for no obvious reason.  Maybe I'm fighting off some bug or other.

I hear you on the balance between fatigue and exercise.  Moving is good when you are feeling down, but doing difficult things when you are too tired to concentrate is a recipe for injury.  I hope you get rested up and back to normal soon.

It could well be.  Or you just needed the sleep in general.  Thanksgiving sounds like a rather bigger thing there than here and you were possibly just a bit worn out?

Yep, I have a bit of a history on that score.  I stuck to walking to and from work and my usual running around at the office.  That's still not too bad.

On the fun side of things, finally got to see the Doctor Who 50th anniversary special and it was awesome. I also got Final Fantasy XIV and have been playing that a fair bit. I'm really enjoying it.

The first step to fixing a problem is definitely figuring out what the problem is. Keep your chin up and I hope it all works out in the long run. I always have to remind myself to not be too hard on myself. We're only human, right. :peaceful:

On another note, I'm finally breaking down and dipping my toe into the Doctor Who universe. Any advice on where to start as far as the tv series goes?