Earlsdottir Retreats from Winter

Earlsdottir

Hi Druids!  

I'm new here.  I'm a Scout by nature and inclination.  But, as the kids say these days, Winter is Coming, and I'm one of those who suffers when the sun sets early and the cold weather comes.  Usually, I fight the elements by forcing myself outside to run through the cold, snow and darkness. This year, I'm not going to endure feelings of guilt for not getting out when it's cold and dark. Instead, I'm going to take a different tack.   I'm retreating this winter into the warmth of the gym and my home, with a focus on developing the strength and flexibility I need not to hurt myself in the coming seasons.

I look forward to spending the coming challenge in your company!

Main Quest: Strengthen my core.

Goal 1:  Flexibility

I've never done much yoga, but I've learned over the last four months of running that keeping my muscles loose and stretched is the key to avoiding injury.  I'm going to focus inward during these dark months and take on the 6-week beginner yoga class at doyogawithme.com.  

Commitment:  Two classes and one tutorial per week.

Reward: 3 Dexterity and 1 Constitution.

Goal 2: Strength

I've become a lot stronger over the last several months. I want to keep up that progression. Strength work is also something that can be done indoors, instead of in the dark and cold of the early mornings or the late afternoons/evenings of my northern home.

Commitment:  Two strength-training sessions per week.

Reward: 3 Strength and 1 Constitution

Goal 3: Stamina

I don't want to lose it. Or at least, I don't want to lose too much of it. Sure, it's cold out there. Sure, it's dark out there. But I'm going to keep up at least some of the momentum and get in at least one cardio session per week. And if I'm too much of a coward to face the elements....the gym has a treadmill and I have an indoor trainer.  Suck it up, Earlsdottir.

Commitment: One run or bike ride per week. 

Reward: 3 Stamina and 1 Constitution.

Side Quest
I have one.  This time around, it's not something I feel comfortable posting online.  Like the Lord High Executioner's fireworks: you won't see it, but it'll be there.  And if I succeed, it's worth 3 charisma.

Level 4 City Elf Scout

STR: 6 |  DEX: 5  |  STA: 9  |  CON: 8  |  WIS: 6  |  CHA: 6

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

Since you aren't comfortable telling us your side goal, will it be a pass/fail or do you have a way of measuring success?

Thanks for asking! I do have a way of measuring.  I'll be keeping track offline and will update whether or not I've achieved those measurements each week.  At the end, I'll apportion points accordingly. 

Level 4 City Elf Scout

Hi friend!!  I'm so excited to see you over here!  I really love your goals. I also struggle during the winter...something about the dark and cold makes me feel the same.  And terribly unmotivated.  I will be here cheering you on!  I know you will do amazing just like the last challenge.  :D

Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

2013: 6/1/13 - 7/24/13 - 9/15/13 - 11/6/13   2014: 1/5/142/19/14 - 4/9/14 - 6/6/14 - 7/24/14 - 9/11/14 - 11/5/14 

2015: 1/2/15 - 2/20/15 - 4/9/15 - 6/2/15 - 9/10/15 - 10/26/15   2016: 1/1/16 - 2/28/16 - 3/28/16 - 6/6/16 - 9/19/16 - 10/26/16 - 11/26/16   

2017: 1/1/17 - 9/17/17   2018: 1/1/18 - 2/5/18 - 8/13/18 - 11/26/18   2019: 1/7/19   2020: 9/13/20

Hey, this all looks kinda familiar!  Heehee.  I am so very with you on feeling the need to retreat, low temps, wind and no sun do not inspire me to get out, which is really saying something, given how much I've come to love going out for walks.  But if you don't start sucking it up, as you say, can I give you a kick in the butt? ;)

You know I'll be here to cheer you on and offer support when things get hectic.  And not only for the exercise stuff, but good luck on the life challenge as well!  I have every confidence you'll be successful!

Level 3 Human Adventurer

STR 6 | DEX 3 | STA 6 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3

My Current Challenge:  A Spider's New Adventure

~ Lead your way, Sing your song, Moving everyday, Going further on ~

Nice, clear goals there. Winter can shove it!

One of my current challenge goals is the 6-week beginner program from DoYogaWithMe.com as well. Looking forward to starting it X)

Oh, nice!  I found the first session to be pretty basic, but sure felt good to stretch out like that.  I know Arachne is doing it, too. We should have a DYWM party!

Level 4 City Elf Scout

I came into this challenge feeling like I'd been run over by a truck.  I wrote up my goals on Sunday night and then just stared at them. The very idea of actually accomplishing them seemed so very...impossible.  Insurmountable.  Hard.

I got home from work yesterday evening and decided to take a single, baby step.  I did the first DYWM session.  One step.  Small. Twenty minutes.  And the stretching out felt so good, I tossed some foam rolling in for good measure.

I got home this evening and took one more baby step.  I put on my workout clothes.  I futzed around for half an hour trying to figure out what I should do for strength training, because, frankly, I didn't really have a plan. Or a goal.  Or anything.  So, I decided -- I'm going to do a pull up. I'm going to focus on upper body strength this time around. And by the end of this challenge, I'm going to have done a pullup. An honest-to-gods, for-reals pullup.

And then I did three BBWW circuits.  Twenty minutes.  Just twenty minutes.

Baby steps.

Winter ain't going to win this..

Level 4 City Elf Scout

Winter ain't going to win this..

This. It made my whole day. :)

Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

2013: 6/1/13 - 7/24/13 - 9/15/13 - 11/6/13   2014: 1/5/142/19/14 - 4/9/14 - 6/6/14 - 7/24/14 - 9/11/14 - 11/5/14 

2015: 1/2/15 - 2/20/15 - 4/9/15 - 6/2/15 - 9/10/15 - 10/26/15   2016: 1/1/16 - 2/28/16 - 3/28/16 - 6/6/16 - 9/19/16 - 10/26/16 - 11/26/16   

2017: 1/1/17 - 9/17/17   2018: 1/1/18 - 2/5/18 - 8/13/18 - 11/26/18   2019: 1/7/19   2020: 9/13/20

Oh, nice!  I found the first session to be pretty basic, but sure felt good to stretch out like that.  I know Arachne is doing it, too. We should have a DYWM party!

I am all on board for a DYWM party! :)

Level 3 Human Adventurer

I am all on board for a DYWM party! :)

Ditto! But would we be coordinating the days, or just the same lessons per week? 'Cause I think I'm already behind on days lol

EDIT: Also, what did you all do for the props? I looked at the pages for the classes, and some of the classes need straps or bolsters. Did you already have those items, or go out and buy some, or just substitute them with something else?

I'll probably use a piece of rope (strap) and a pillow (bolster) for week 1 classes. I don't have a yoga mat either, so that will be substituted with my floor's filthy carpeting. The only things I DO have are a few exercise balls, a foam roller, and a block. Maybe I can ask for a strap, bolster, and mat for Christmas...bweheheh.

Ditto! But would we be coordinating the days, or just the same lessons per week? 'Cause I think I'm already behind on days lol

EDIT: Also, what did you all do for the props? I looked at the pages for the classes, and some of the classes need straps or bolsters. Did you already have those items, or go out and buy some, or just substitute them with something else?

I'll probably use a piece of rope (strap) and a pillow (bolster) for week 1 classes. I don't have a yoga mat either, so that will be substituted with my floor's filthy carpeting. The only things I DO have are a few exercise balls, a foam roller, and a block. Maybe I can ask for a strap, bolster, and mat for Christmas...bweheheh.

I was thinking pretty loosely in terms of "party."  Coordinating days generally would be hard for me, but maybe we can pick one day to all do it?  Or, you know, if nothing else, if you're ever running low on motivation, you know where you can come for a morale boost!

As for the props -- I have a strap that I use for stretching before running. I've just been using that.  Before I had that, I used a rolled-up beach towel to more or less the same effect.  I bet rope would work just as well.  I got a mat for my birthday a couple of years back, so I've been using that, but I have hardwood floors and I'd be sliding all over the place without it. 

Level 4 City Elf Scout

I have yoga stuff on my Christmas list. :)  At the moment I have a long belt I'm using for a strap, it works well enough for now, but it isn't as flexible as it should be.  I haven't done the one with the bolster one yet, but I'll probably use a rolled up towel for that.  For a block I used a thick book.  Again, it did the job, but wasn't perfect.  For the one where you have to kneel on the block I used a firm pillow instead.

Level 3 Human Adventurer

I ended up using a rolled beach towel as well, because the rope was in the garage, and it was cold and I was wearing pajamas. Hey, the thread title does mention retreating from winter lol!

Class 1 felt amazing! Mainly because my back was already a little sore from a previous workout. Looking forward to class 2! I may attempt the tutorial during work hours tomorrow. It's only 3 mins. Shhhh....

Will do class 2 either tomorrow or Sunday :3 (Out of town on Sat.)

I ended up using a rolled beach towel as well, because the rope was in the garage, and it was cold and I was wearing pajamas. Hey, the thread title does mention retreating from winter lol!

I finally got to the one that needed a bolster.  I did not have a bolster. Towel didn't work very well, but I made do.  Hopefully there won't be a lot of those.

Seriously. Who has bolsters anymore?

Level 4 City Elf Scout

I know it's a bit early, but I'm going to be away from the computer almost all day tomorrow, so -- here's a first week summary.  The week started out a bit slow.  It has definitely been the sort of week that took significant strength of will just to put on my gym clothes or roll out the yoga mat or, you know, do anything except curl up on the couch and watch TV all evening.

But I did it.

Monday

Kicked my backside in gear and rolled out the yoga mat for my first DYWM session.

Tuesday

My "gym" is a single-room basement storefront a few buildings down from my apartment complex. It has minimal equipment (one treadmill, some handweights, lots of straps and stretchy things, etc.), but it's the perfect place for a quick bodyweight workout without having to worry about disturbing the people downstairs.  I wandered over right after work to find it closed for a personal training session.  That was the perfect excuse to not do anything at all. 

I just about took it.

And then I thought...that would be really lame.  So I sucked it up and did the three tweaked beginner bodyweight circuits (single-leg squats, longer plank) in my living room instead.  Sincere apologies, downstairs neighbors!

Wednesday

I had to work late.  Came home, made dinner, crashed.

Thursday

Thursday evening was a very lazy evening.  I'd settled in jammies on the couch with the TV rolling well before I realized that, weekend as it is, I really needed to do something that night.  So I dragged myself off said couch and onto the yoga mat.  It wasn't a quality session. I was kind of disappointed. But I resolve to focus better next time.

Friday

I called it an early day at work. I'll pay for that this weekend. But it meant leaving the office while the sun was still (kinda) up, which is always a little bit encouraging.  I put some laundry into the wash, then did my yoga tutorial.  Put it into the dryer, then snuck into the gym, did three more BBW circuits, stretched, foam rolled, and stretched.  Felt good, with the side benefit of clean clothes afterward!

Saturday

My efforts this week have really paid off. I clearly hit winter on the chin, and it's retreated for a few days, leaving us with a gorgeous 60-degree Saturday.  I took full advantage of this non-winter weather to get out for a 12-mile ride.  I've been struggling with a foot injury that keeps me from running (and is another reason for this more gentle challenge), but it didn't give me any guff on the ride.  It was downright lovely.  Take that, winter!

Sunday

Have some plans for hiking tomorrow, if the weather holds, and also to make some progress on my side quest.

Week 1 Summary

• Yoga: 2/2 sessions and 1/1 tutorials.
  • Strength: 2/2 sessions
  • Scouting: 1/1 cardio adventure
  • Side Quest: So far so good, but will edit to update after tomorrow.  [EDIT:  100% for this week]

Level 4 City Elf Scout

Looks like you got a great start for the first week which is very impressive since winter's cold breath makes for a fairly good excuse to curl up in a blanket with hot cocoa. You are my inspiration to not allow myself to do just that! :)

Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

This weekend has been lovely, hasn't it?  I'm so glad that you got to enjoy it!  And I'm so proud of you for not taking the easy way out on those couple of days when it /would/ have been easy to not do anything.  I certainly know that temptation as well, but you told temptation to go take a hike!  And speaking of hikes, enjoy yours, I hope you have a wonderful rest of the weekend!!

Level 3 Human Adventurer

Looks like you got a great start for the first week which is very impressive since winter's cold breath makes for a fairly good excuse to curl up in a blanket with hot cocoa. You are my inspiration to not allow myself to do just that! :)

Aw thanks! I would like to say it was pretty simple, but damn, it took some real determination.  Like, comfy-on-the-couch, ready-to-curl-up-under-a-blanket, aw-Turtle's-going-to-think-I'm-a-slacker sort of determination.

(Though I did curl up on in a blanket with hot cocoa on Wednesday night. And there was coffee-flavored rum in the cocoa. Some days....)

• Like 1

Level 4 City Elf Scout

It may be sixty-five degrees outside today (!), but I'm suffering from some serious winter blues tonight.  I thought maybe some endorphins would help, so I kicked my ass to the gym and did some BBW circuits.  Only managed to exacerbate the plantar fasciitis.  Oops.  Tried meditating a bit, but I can't get my mind to still. Rawr.  Tried making some dinner, but my potatoes just won't cook through. Damn them.

Time for Plan D: hard cider and the Doctor. 

Level 4 City Elf Scout

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines