Earlsdottir Retreats from Winter

Earlsdottir

Tried making some dinner, but my potatoes just won't cook through. Damn them.

I hate when that kind of stuff happens.  Damn those potatoes all to hell!  ;)

Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

2013: 6/1/13 - 7/24/13 - 9/15/13 - 11/6/13   2014: 1/5/142/19/14 - 4/9/14 - 6/6/14 - 7/24/14 - 9/11/14 - 11/5/14 

2015: 1/2/15 - 2/20/15 - 4/9/15 - 6/2/15 - 9/10/15 - 10/26/15   2016: 1/1/16 - 2/28/16 - 3/28/16 - 6/6/16 - 9/19/16 - 10/26/16 - 11/26/16   

2017: 1/1/17 - 9/17/17   2018: 1/1/18 - 2/5/18 - 8/13/18 - 11/26/18   2019: 1/7/19   2020: 9/13/20

Welcome to the Druids Earlsdottir!

You really have clarity and simplicity in your goals, well done! Also, you are discovering yoga and that makes me soooo happy. If you have any questions, just fire away and I'll try to answer. A bolster is probably not that hard to make if you have a sewing machine…..

Now just add some grading to your goals and my winter darkness will feel a little easier to endure as well.

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Now just add some grading to your goals and my winter darkness will feel a little easier to endure as well.

I was going to use the standard grading system in the....damnit, I could have sworn one of the instruction or FAQ threads had a grading scale. Hm. But I'm not finding that now.

Any rate, grades will be as follows:

A = 88%-100%

B = 72%-87%

C = 55%-71%

F = Less than 55%

Since the three goals supporting my main quest are "Do this X times per week," I'll count up totals each week and use those to calculate the overall grade.

For the side quest, I'll report a percentage each week and average those percentages at the end of six weeks. I'll then apply this same scale. Again, forgive the lack of disclosure here. I do it out of respect for the privacy of others. But I promise, I'm tracking the details offline.

Level 4 City Elf Scout

STR: 6 |  DEX: 5  |  STA: 9  |  CON: 8  |  WIS: 6  |  CHA: 6

To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

I hate when that kind of stuff happens.  Damn those potatoes all to hell!  ;)

Yeah!

In the end, they finally cooked and I had a tasty dinner alongside some Girl in the Fireplace.  And then slept, and the world was better in the morning.

Week two is trundling along.  I've had several dinners and other social obligations this week -- Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday nights, in fact -- which has made things a little tricky.  It's only going to get worse as the holiday season kicks in.  I'm not, by nature, a social person, but I play a professional at work, and these things are expected.  

Still, I've managed to fit in both of my workouts and one yoga session so far.  I'll do the other yoga tonight or tomorrow.

I tried running yesterday for the first time in three weeks.  My foot was finally not hurting and I thought I'd give it a go with a very slow and easy two miles.  I was about a mile in when (1) my foot started explaining to me in excessive detail just how displeased it was with this activity, and (2) the other member of my household called, having forgotten keys, and needing to be let inside.  So I limped back home, opened the door, and then ducked out to the gym for some easy-on-the-foot bodyweight working out.

Which means that if I'm going to get cardio in this weekend, it's going to be cycling. And if it's cold and rainy, which seems likely, I need to set up the trainer so I can cycle indoors. And to do that, I need to clean up portions of my apartment. And...so that's the agenda.  

Level 4 City Elf Scout

Week two: conquered!  My mood really picked up toward the middle of the week.  I found myself actually wanting to do things.  As mentioned above, it was heavy on the social obligations, but I made it through that maze.

Monday

Rolled home from the office at a perfectly reasonable hour and hit the gym as soon as I got home.

Tuesday

Attended a work dinner, and yet -- and yet! -- didn't overeat, and didn't overdo it on the beverage front, to the point where I felt perfectly fine when I rolled in the door. So perfectly fine, in fact, that I settled in for some yoga before I crashed.

Wednesday

Ender's Game.  That is all.

Thursday

Quit the office a little bit early, because I ran out of things to do -- that's a rarity, indeed.  I attempted a really easy run, but my foot wasn't having it, so I counted the mile a warmup and hit the gym instead.  Went out to dinner with friends afterward, but because I'd gotten home so early, I didn't have to cut the workout short. Win!

Friday

Finally, a free evening. I did my yoga lesson at a nice and easy pace, and hit the tutorial as well.

Saturday

I had every intention of getting up and riding on the trainer this morning. Didn't happen. In fact, spent some quality time with friends, but otherwise? Nothing happened. 

Sunday

Again, every intention of getting that ride in.  And then my foot felt pretty good.  And it was less than 20F out. So...I snuck out to the gym and pounded out three easy miles on the treadmill instead. Foot felt good through the first two, and only mildly iffy through the last, though it tensed up pretty rough during the hours that followed.  I'll continue to take it pretty easy.

Week 2 Summary

• Yoga: 3/3
  • Strength: 2/2
  • Cardio: 1.5/1
  • Life Quest: 50%

Level 4 City Elf Scout

Way to be awesome!

PS - I love your Wednesday. :)

Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

2013: 6/1/13 - 7/24/13 - 9/15/13 - 11/6/13   2014: 1/5/142/19/14 - 4/9/14 - 6/6/14 - 7/24/14 - 9/11/14 - 11/5/14 

2015: 1/2/15 - 2/20/15 - 4/9/15 - 6/2/15 - 9/10/15 - 10/26/15   2016: 1/1/16 - 2/28/16 - 3/28/16 - 6/6/16 - 9/19/16 - 10/26/16 - 11/26/16   

2017: 1/1/17 - 9/17/17   2018: 1/1/18 - 2/5/18 - 8/13/18 - 11/26/18   2019: 1/7/19   2020: 9/13/20

Woooo!  Way to conquer the week and have fun with friends as well!  So glad for a better mood as well, was that possibly due to less stress at work?  Now go rip the throat out of week three, rawr!  Oh wait, you're going druid this week, yes?  Maybe a little less throat-ripping, I suppose. :)

Also: You're awesome. :)

Level 3 Human Adventurer

STR 6 | DEX 3 | STA 6 | CON 3 | WIS 4 | CHA 3

My Current Challenge:  A Spider's New Adventure

~ Lead your way, Sing your song, Moving everyday, Going further on ~

Hitting the halfway point for the challenge, I'm finding that my goals may have been a little bit under-challenging under normal circumstances but, thanks to this silly injury that doesn't want to pass, they're just about on target.  I had a lovely time this week celebrating Thanksgiving with a small collection of family and friends in an out-of-the-way location.  Unfortunately, I spent a chunk of it limping due to not respecting my foot the way I should have, and I completely dropped the ball on eating in a remotely healthy manner.  I give myself a pass on that (since, you know, it's not one of my official challenges), but that can't continue through the rest of the holiday season, or I'll lose all of the awesome progress I've made the last couple of challenges.

All that said, numbers for Week 3:

Monday

Arachne introduced me to this set of 100 different bodyweight workouts.  The only downside is, you know, I spent some 40 minutes pre-workout trying to figure out which one sounded the most awesome while at the same time helping me toward my pullup goal.  (N.B. I'm up to doing assisted pullups after a couple of weeks doing dumbell rows.)  I finally settled on the Odin circuit.  I may have pushed a bit far: the DOMS the next couple of days was of Valhallic proportions.

Tuesday

I spent the day traveling.  it involved a good bit of walking from point A to points B through Q, but no workout or yoga.

Wednesday

Arrived at my Thanksgiving location.  Snuck in the first yoga video for week 3 before the horde appeared. Discovered it was not in fact yoga, but pilates. Muscles were displeased, but we rallied and did it anyway.

Thursday

If being on your feet in the kitchen all day counts as a workout, I did one.  But I think the amount of wine, butter and pie consumed cancel it all out.  Dinner, however, was absolutely delicious.

Friday

I had planned to go for a run while out of the city, but as mentioned above, my foot was having none of it.  On Wednesday and Thursday I was limping so badly that any thought of a run was out.  However, on Friday by midday things were feeling quite a bit better, and I went for a very easy 4-mile walk around a nearby lake with friends and their young offspring -- with a three-year-old pace-setter, I couldn't break myself too badly.  I'm not counting this as the week's cardio, but it was pleasant all the same.

Saturday

Spent the day cleaning up from Thanksgiving festivities and traveling.  Toppled into bed almost as soon as I got home.

Sunday

Did a 12-mile ride on the bike trainer while watching the Patriots stumble their way to victory, followed by the week's yoga tutorial and second DYWM video.  Downside of doing yoga over halftime:  If yoga does not end before halftime is over, I can kiss savasana goodbye.

Week 3 Summary::

• Yoga: 3/3
  • Strength: 1/2
  • Cardio: 1/1
  • Life Quest: 60%

Level 4 City Elf Scout

Great job!  I sure hope your foot starts feeling better soon.

Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

Arachne introduced me to this set of 100 different bodyweight workouts

*SQUEEEEEEEE* Guess what I'm downloading when I get home.

Good job at keeping up with the quests over Thanksgiving weekened, and ditto on hoping your foot injury heals ASAP! Still, walking (unless painful) is waaaay better than not doing anything.

The pilates in DYWM (class 1 of week 3 I think?) was actually kind of painful lol.

This is one of those weeks where I can only be grateful that I've survived this far. Work seriously kicked me in the shins this week; I won't be out from under the mountain of work until sometime tomorrow afternoon.  Goals? I managed one strength workout on Monday morning, and barely made a PT appointment on Wednesday that I may well count as yoga (an hour of stretching and flexibility work).

Otherwise?  I've been riding a desk sixteen hours a day, coming home, sleeping six hours, and doing it all over again. Oof.

Someone bring the weekend, stat.

Level 4 City Elf Scout

Otherwise?  I've been riding a desk sixteen hours a day, coming home, sleeping six hours, and doing it all over again. Oof.

grumpy-cat-8141_preview_zps9177ab07.png

That's brutal. Weekend! NAO!

I can barely manage 8 hour days lol. That you were still able to make some of your goals is freaking amazing o_O I hope your schedule clears up next week, and that your boss gives you extra days off to make up for the crazy shifts.

Doing well is, in fact, something I am no longer doing.  Alas.

Week 4

Sucked.  Not much else to say about it.  I hit up the November Project for strength and cardio on Monday (run-workout-run), and on Wednesday I met with my running coach to figure out stretches and active recovery to help my foot get better.  I'm counting that as one yoga.  I did absolutely nothing else related to my challenges that week because (a) work ate my soul, and (B) winter sucks.

• Yoga: 1/3
  • Side quest: 0%

Week 5

Frankly, not much better. I spent four days this week with a left glute/leg muscle that wouldn't fire at all -- I could barely sit/stand or walk up/down stairs without leveraging myself on something. This made strength work almost impossible after Wednesday, and I only got the last yoga and cardio in when it finally started to feel better today.

• Cardio: 1/1 -- I set up the indoor trainer and did some cycling today, only to be interrupted about 30 minutes in by the downstairs neighbor complaining about the noise. Oh well. So much for that alternative.
  • Yoga: 3/3 -- Accomplished 2/3 of them (tutorial and one set) this evening only because I realized how much I've dropped the ball the last couple of weeks and because the downstairs neighbor interrupted the cardio.
  • Side quest: 100% (finally)

Maybe the world is trying to tell me to chill out, but after six weeks of chilling because of my foot, I'm sick and tired of chilling.  I want to start running again -- I miss it like woah -- but I don't want to hurt myself further and just make it worse. Barring that, I'd love to cycle more -- but outdoors isn't an option this time of year. Neither, apparently, is indoors. And all of my efforts to get better have failed so far -- resting doesn't work, focusing on yoga and strength hasn't worked, the PT exercises I was given not only didn't work, they rendered me more broken.  It's almost enough to make me want to give up in the challenge and on fitness in general. 

Level 4 City Elf Scout

Don't give up.

Keep adapting. There will be a way....

Way to go on yoga and side quest!!

Thanks so much for the encouragement!

I decided not to give up. I can't change the past, but I can do better this week, so I'm buckling down with a goal of finishing strong.

I did strength training on Monday and yoga today. If I just keep putting one foot in front of the other, I can make it.

• Like 1

Level 4 City Elf Scout

Thanks so much for the encouragement!

I decided not to give up. I can't change the past, but I can do better this week, so I'm buckling down with a goal of finishing strong.

I did strength training on Monday and yoga today. If I just keep putting one foot in front of the other, I can make it.

^ This. :D

Spoiler

PREVIOUS CHALLENGES

I'm late getting my final accounting in on account of disappearing from the grid for the holiday week, but here it goes.

Week 6

• Yoga: 1/3
  • Strength: 2/2
  • Side quest: 100%

The last week wasn't perfect, but it was something.

Level 4 City Elf Scout

Totals

• Yoga: 9 / 12 = 75% = B.  Yoga was worth a total of 4 stat points: 3 Dex and 1 Con.  I'm taking 3/4 - 2 Dex and 1 Con.
  • Strength: 14 / 18 = 77% = B.  Strength was also worth a total of 4 stat points: 3 Dex and 1 Con. I'm, again, taking 3/4 - 2 Str and 1 Con.
  • Cardio = 5.5 / 6 = 91% = A.  Cardio was worth 4 as well: 3 Sta and 1 Con. I managed to keep up with that one fairly well despite the injury, and will take all those points. 
  • Side Quest = 82% = B.  Side Quest was worth 3 points: 3 Cha.  With a B overall, I'm taking 2/3 of those. 
This wasn't my strongest challenge, but I battled through some tough weeks -- both some heavy work weeks and some difficult personal weeks. Without the challenge, I probably would have given up completely and done nothing, so I'm counting these B's a win overall.  

Druids, it was a pleasure to join you for this challenge. Thanks so much for the community and the support!

Level 4 City Elf Scout

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines