• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

ninja_mermaid

FIRST CHALLENGE EVER!!!!! Who wants to help this ninja_mermaid get started?

What up, fellow Rebels? I am the beautiful, bewitching, and mysterious ninja_mermaid, and I could use a little guidance and clarification on this whole challenge thing. Oh, and for the record, while I am somewhat easy on the eyes (I've had lots of therapy, and thusly have no self-confidence issues; that being said, I'm also a realist - I know I'm no Scarlett Johansonn. That would be awesome though, 'cause, you know, she's Black Widow. How cool would it be to be Black Widow?!) I highly doubt that I am bewitching or mysterious. I'm pretty much just me.

But who am I exactly? Hmmmmm... that's a very complex question that I don't have all the answers to yet. In fact, one of the reasons I joined the Rebellion was to find some of those answers, but here are the basics: I'm a 23 year-old college student with a part-time job, who happens to suffer from bipolar 2 disorder. Basically what that means is that when it comes to the ups and downs, I only ever get the downs. And I have ADD. So the odds are kinda stacked against me, and, quite honestly, I am so sick of using that as a crutch to keep myself from reaching my full potential.

I am properly medicated, and I'm stable, but I don't always take my meds, or take them when I should. That's actually one of my three missions - to take my meds on time, every day.

Nerd Fitness is a place where I know I can succeed, because I know that y'all'll get my jokes, well hopefully. At least some of them. And you won't roll your eyes for making my weight loss into a RPG quest. This is exactly what I need, and I can't wait to meet you all! I bet you're fucking awesome!!!

Okay, so moving on from that extreme spillage of emotions, onto my questions.

1) How do I keep Nerd Fitness apprised of my activities? Is it a daily thing? Every few days? I know completion of quests is self-judged, but what are the guidelines for checking in? Can you check in too often? Do you have to post on a particular thread?

2) What are these accountabilibuddies I've read about, and how do I get some? I know I'm going to need some peeps to cheer me on, and to cheer on in return, and since this is my first challenge, I'm not really sure how to acquire them. But I know that I must have them! Muwhahahahahahaha!!!!! Oh my God, I am such a dork. Yay!

3) I think I remember some kind of chart that lets you keep track of your workouts and meals and other shit like that. What is that?

4) When does this November challenge officially start? I can't seem to find a date.

5) Is there such a thing as winning a challenge? Because I am incredibly competitive, and once I truly set my mind on accomplishing a task (oh, say, winning my first challenge, for example), nothing stands in my way. NOTHING!!! You have been warned, nerds!

So that's basically it. Thanks so much for all your help, guys; I'm actually excited to star getting healthy for the first time ever. That's huge!

Gahhhh! Now if only sleeping was as easy as writing! Wonder Twin powers, activate! Form of A Perpetually-Cool Pillow! Form of the Lunesta Moth! Again, dork. Again, yay.

• Like 1

nija_mermaid,

I'll try to answer a few of your questions. The challenge starts on Nov. 11 (today) and runs until Dec. 22. I've looked at some of the previous challenge forms and most people just posted updates in their original thread some posted daily but some posted weekly. I think it's really up to you how often you want to post. I hope this helps. 

BFM4thewin

• Like 1

Some of us update daily.... some less often some more... I don't think we have winners anymore... there is no limit to how frequently you post... I think the powers that be request you update at least three times a week :) but it's YOUR challenge...

(sent by the phone. .. all mistakes are the phones fault)

Welcome to the rebellion!

Since I'm one of your Accountabilibuddies, I'm going to request that you post hsre in this thread . I've subscribed to it, so I'll be keeping an eye on you!

Post as often as you like, especially just dropping a note to say "morning meds, check" or the like. I have anxiety issues (PTSD), so I'm with you on the medication issues.

How is your first day going?

What are your specific goals? (Remember: four goals, achievable and measurable. Let us know what they are so we can cheer for you.)

love & peace,

Heidi

Hey Ninja Mermaid!  All your fellow Browncoats are here to cheer you on and help you out if you need it!  Start out by posting your goals here in your thread, and then from there you're ready to rock. 

Hey Ninja Mermaid!  All your fellow Browncoats are here to cheer you on and help you out if you need it!  Start out by posting your goals here in your thread, and then from there you're ready to rock.

Thanks, cavemom. Great name, by the way!

You can check how others list their goals if you need a template.  I stole mine from someone with similar goals in the scout subforum, copy and paste will set you free.  Now I need to get back to conceptualizing a black masked mermaid with nunchucka...

Welcome to the rebellion! Since I'm one of your Accountabilibuddies, I'm going to request that you post hsre in this thread . I've subscribed to it, so I'll be keeping an eye on you! Post as often as you like, especially just dropping a note to say "morning meds, check" or the like. I have anxiety issues (PTSD), so I'm with you on the medication issues. How is your first day going? What are your specific goals? (Remember: four goals, achievable and measurable. Let us know what they are so we can cheer for you.) love & peace, Heidi

My main goal this challenge is to lose 10 pounds. My three mini missions are 1) Exercise for at least 20 minutes every day. 2) No more desserts! Except for one piece of pecan pie on Thanksgiving. Some things are sacred. 3) Take my meds on time EVERY DAY, both in the morning and at night. And morning meds include eating breakfast. No excuses!!!

Sounds like great goals!  You can definitely do this!  What are you planning to do for your exercising?  Anything in particular, or just whatever you feel like that day?

Sounds like great goals!  You can definitely do this!  What are you planning to do for your exercising?  Anything in particular, or just whatever you feel like that day?

The 20 minutes is just for me to fall back on if I have a really busy day, or am cycling. That way, it'll only have to be 20 minutes, and then I can feel better about myself. Generally, I'm hoping for at least 30 minutes of some kind of moderate to heavy workout daily. I haven't really figured out what exactly I'm going to do just yet, but I figured I'd just stalk other people's weight loss/muscle building threads for ideas. And read Steve's posts. Much less creeperly.

Another Browncoat checking in.

I have set up my challenge goals so that I post just about every day.  That helps me to get in the habit, and also makes it so that if I fall down (as I occasionally do) I still have to post about it.  More often though, knowing that I will have to post about my progress each day gives me a little boost to be able to get over a particularly bad craving.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Another Browncoat checking in. I have set up my challenge goals so that I post just about every day.  That helps me to get in the habit, and also makes it so that if I fall down (as I occasionally do) I still have to post about it.  More often though, knowing that I will have to post about my progress each day gives me a little boost to be able to get over a particularly bad craving. Good luck.

Thanks!

Also, morning meds are a go as of about an hour ago! I know it's a little late, but it's my first day, and I remembered to stick on the patch, so I'm counting it as a win! I always forget the damn patch.

Totally counts as a win. Which is a fantastic way to start a challenge, no?

hello everyone. i've finally taken the plunge and decided to throw myself into this challenge. i've let myself go over the years and am determined that i'm gonna set that straight. i plan on losing a stone in weight over the duration of this challenge through exercise and eating more sensibly. started this morning. 3 mile run....easy does it hey!!

hello everyone. i've finally taken the plunge and decided to throw myself into this challenge. i've let myself go over the years and am determined that i'm gonna set that straight. i plan on losing a stone in weight over the duration of this challenge through exercise and eating more sensibly. started this morning. 3 mile run....easy does it hey!!

Holy fuck, dude!!! 3 miles is taking it easy? I'm so out of shape that I can't even run a quarter of a mile without almost dying. You rock!

Also, how much in American is a stone? I know I could look it up, but I'm lazy, and only stopped for a few minutes at a gas station on my way back from Atlanta. And why are you mixing and matching stones and miles, might I ask? That sounds suspicious to me!

But seriously, Rudeboy, congrats on a job well done! Come join my accountibilibuddies group so we can keep track of the awesomeness that is you.

@ninja_mermaid A Stone is 14 pounds :-)Btw, awesome goals and great progress. You sound like a cool person too! :-) Keep it up!

Awwww, thank you. I like you. You are now my friend. Sorry, but that's pretty much how it works around me. Now you're either going to have very, very direct to get rid of me. Or be really bitchly passive agressive towards me. That would work too, but on the whole, I prefer it when people just tell you what's bothering them; it's so much easier that way.

But, for now, at least, you are a friend of the ninja_mermaid. I shall add you posthaste.

Kay, peeps, listen up! I just took my evening meds after twenty minutes of moving boxes of my still-unpacked shit up from the garage of my new apartment to my bedroom. And if you're raising your eyebrows about that being a workout, fear not. I had to climb 2.5ish flights of stairs with said boxes, and was sweating like a pig (who actually don't sweat) at the end of my twenty minutes. Not bad for a mermaid who just got in from a six-hour drive!

Thanks for all the encouragement so far; y'all are seriously the best!

• Like 1

Kay, peeps, listen up! I just took my evening meds after twenty minutes of moving boxes of my still-unpacked shit up from the garage of my new apartment to my bedroom. And if you're raising your eyebrows about that being a workout, fear not. I had to climb 2.5ish flights of stairs with said boxes, and was sweating like a pig (who actually don't sweat) at the end of my twenty minutes. Not bad for a mermaid who just got in from a six-hour drive!

Thanks for all the encouragement so far; y'all are seriously the best!

Moving is absolutely a work-out. Especially when going up stairs! 

Additionally, I had no idea that pigs don't sweat.

New knowledge: Acquired.