“It's the job that's never started as takes longest to finish.�

anaelle

Main Quest - Climb Half Dome in Yosemite National Park in the 2014 season.

The Half Dome climb is a strenuous, 16 mile round-trip with approximately 4800 feet of elevation change. Thus, my main quest is to put one foot in front of the other many times in a row and get to the top of some of the most beautiful country America has to offer. And then, I will throw the One Ring off of it and save all Middle-Earth. 

(No, no, every park ranger that just had a heart attack. I promise I will not do any such thing.)

However, just like any other chubby, asthmatic hobbit who enjoys second breakfast and plenty of ale, I have a lot of training to do in the meantime to make sure that Gwaihir and the eagles don't have to come save me. 

- Complete Couch to 5k: This will be my primary cardiovascular and aerobic training. I've gone to week 4 or 5 multiple times in the past, but never actually finished. (Let's face it. I just hate running.) I will follow the plan and run 3 times a week. 
          - 100% Sync: No repeats, 18 sessions.

- Two strength workouts a week: using either the Sworkit app or the Beginner's Bodyweight workout here on NerdFitness. I may substitute these for self-guided yoga or long stretching routines as my health dictates. 12 sessions total. 
         - Sworkit (100% sync) - start at 10 minutes per session, advance 3 minutes a week.
         - Beginner's Bodyweight (100% sync) - start at 1 set. Advance in reps or sets each week.

- Hit the trails: The county has graciously given us an entire network of hiking trails - albeit much less strenuous than Yosemite - just a mile away from my house. One loop through the closest trail is 3 mi, and there are a total of 8 mi of trails all within walking distance from the first trailhead. My goal is to start at 3 mi per week - one loop this weekend - and increase each week until I reach 18 mi: an increase of 3 mi per week. While I'd like to pledge to do all those in one day, my night shift schedule often means I won't be able to awake at dawn and dedicate an entire day to hiking every week. 

Completion Criteria: Since some aspects of the main quest are out of my control (i.e., weather, Half Dome permits, travel logistics) I will consider this quest completed if I complete the three sub-goals successfully.

Side Quests

- Life Goal: There's no getting around it - I like my beer. I'm by no means an alcoholic, but I'm also keenly aware that I'm drinking many, many calories during the week, largely out of boredom or to 'wind down' (unhealthily) after work. Thus: No alcoholic drinks during the work-week. (And no binges on the weekends to 'make up' for it. 1 drink per hour ONLY + proper hydration.)

- Fitness Goal: (LOCKED)

Motivation:
view-from-half-dome.jpg?w=640&h=490

"What do you fear, lady?" he asked. 

"A cage," she said. "To stay behind bars, until use and old age accept them, and all chance of doing great deeds is gone beyond recall or desire.†
― J.R.R. TolkienThe Return of the King

==============================================================
                              +sheet/stats for Aes Sedai Anaelle
      Age: 29                                                Race: Hobbit
      Sex: Female
      Height: 5'4.5"                                       Weight: 145 lb
      Class: Adventurer -> Ranger
      Level: 0
      Inventory: 1 x Fitbit, 1 x HR Monitor, Hiking Boots, 1 x flask of Scotch
      Companions: 2 x level 0 common housecat
      Strengths:  Viking Metal                      Weaknesses: Asthma, Comfort

Thanks, Zabella! While I've been binging on Wheel of Time recently, I figured I should go back to the classic first love for the first challenge. I think it's fitting... both the Hobbit and the Lord of the Rings are really about people with short legs taking very long, high-stakes hikes, after all. ;) 

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines