AverageJoe: Fatman to Batman part 2....

AverageJoe

Main Quest:  Last challenge I started my path to go from Fatman to Batman.  I struggled and definitely didn't get there, but Bruce Wayne didn't become the Bat in 6 weeks and neither can I!  I need to continue on the hero’s path.  I need to develop Strength, Endurance, Grit!! Also my motivation has been kicked into overdrive. My wife and I found out that we're expecting our second kid in April!!! So now I NEED to get my act together. Not only will I need all the strength and endurance I can muster to keep up with a newborn AND a four year old but I need the healthy habits cemented into me by then so I don't fall back to bad habits when things get stressful. That being said here's the plan...

Goal 1: Strength - I LOVE feeling strong!! Picking up something heavy makes me happy!! So Lift I Must!!

batman-workout-2.jpg?w=300&h=285

Minimum of 2 workouts/week, 3 lifts, 5x5 sets/reps (STR +5)

WO #1: Sumo DL High pull, Barbell Row, Bench Press

WO #2: Push Press, Deadlift, Front squat

Goal 2: Endurance/Speed - I've always joked that I'm built for comfort NOT speed! That's just not going to fly anymore!! I'm getting ready for my 5K on Dec 14th (FYI I live in central NY so it will be FREAKIN' COLD) but if Batman can take on Mr. Freeze so can I. (DEX +2, STA +3)

Freezebig.png

WO plan: 30 minute Fartlek style run,

5 minute warm up run (below race pace) followed by..

2 min run (@ RP)

30 sec Speed (@ 90% max output)

90 sec cool down (below RP)

repeat 5 X

5 minute cool down run

Goal 3: Fuel for the fight - The Batman treats his body right and so should I. I've found that eating paleo works pretty well for me so I'm going to keep it up. My goal is ~90% paleo, only 2 “flex†meals per week (CON +3, WIS +2)

I'm also going to be tracking bodyfat % along with my weight to get a better measure on how I'm doing. For the first few weeks (at least) I'm going to record my diet stats as well (calories, carbs, protien, etc.) to see where I am and the I can adjust accordingly.

Here's to a great final challenge of 2013!!

Half/Ogre, Ranger Level 0

STR: 0, Dex: 0, STA: 0, Con: 0, WIS: 0, CHA: 0

Oh wow! Congrats on expecting another little one! That's so exciting! 

Glad to see you are back and super pumped for this challenge. Your goals look great and I love that you have a 5k planned that lines up perfectly with this challenge. That will be awesome! You will totally defeat Mr. Freeze!

Good luck!!!

Level 5 Human Ranger

with Monk-Druid Leanings

STR 12 | DEX 2 | STA 9 | CON 13.5 | WIS 7.25 | CHA 8.75

challenge 1 | challenge 2 | challenge 3 | challenge 4 current challenge 

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?"

Mary Oliver

giphy.gif

Sorry... this movie is the worst, but the gif seemed so appropriate.

Agreed! Movie was completely groan-worthy but the gif is perfect.  I did my run and felt like I was battling Mr. Freeze.  Ice on the road, snow blowing in my face.  I'm pretty sure at one point I cursed my frozen Bat-nipples :nightmare: .  

Excellent challenge :)  here is hoping it won't be too cold on the 14th for you :)

Thanks.  I'm really hoping is relatively dry and ice-free.  cold is bad enough, cold wet and slippery is torture!

Oh wow! Congrats on expecting another little one! That's so exciting! 

Glad to see you are back and super pumped for this challenge. Your goals look great and I love that you have a 5k planned that lines up perfectly with this challenge. That will be awesome! You will totally defeat Mr. Freeze!

Good luck!!!

Thanks I've been so busy trying to get ready that I haven't really had time to let it sink in and get excited. 9 months doesn't seem long enough to prepare :dread:  I have to officially register for the 5k but I'm excited and hopeful I can make a good go of it.

Wow I can't believe how sore I am today. Last night was my second strength workout. Deadlifts, Push press, and Front squats!!! To make it even better I got up at 4:55am this morning for my run in the freezing cold!! Diet is going well so far, I'm keeping up with paleo and my average daily calories around 1500. Week one is looking like a promising start to this challenge. Hope I can keep it up. :D

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Went out walking tonight, and was thinking it was really cold.  I didn't have a jacket on, but after a mile or so I get pretty use to it.  I see it was 52 degrees.  Of course I thought about you running in actual cold weather.

Doing great so far I see. :)

Went out walking tonight, and was thinking it was really cold.  I didn't have a jacket on, but after a mile or so I get pretty use to it.  I see it was 52 degrees.  Of course I thought about you running in actual cold weather.

Doing great so far I see. :)

Cold is a relative term, if you're not exposed to it often 52 can seem pretty cold.  Although I'd gladly trade run weather with you  :tongue:

Nice one Joe! Well done for getting your workout done and getting up for a run in the snow the next day!

Good job!

Thanks.  I wouldn't say it felt "good" to run in the snow but I was glad that I pushed myself to do it.

Week 1 OFFICIAL UPDATE!!!

I successfully got in all 4 workouts in spite of adverse weather and schedule conflicts. So Goals 1 & 2: Double check!!!

I only had 2 "cheat" meals this weekend, other than that all paleo, but my cheat meals were more junk (chips, cookies, peanut butter, etc.) than I should have allowed myself. Goal 3: Technically Check but I'm hoping to do better this week.

Tracking stats Side Quest: moderate success.  I got behind on the food tracking this weekend but I'm hoping to go back and fill in the blanks tonight.  Other than that I seemed to stay around 1500 calories/day (when eating paleo) which seems good but we'll see. 

My body stats for the beginning of the challenge were 222 lbs and ~32% bodyfat.  End of Week #1: 218 lbs  ~33% bodyfat.  This seems like conflicting results but I'm doing bodyfat based on tape measurements (waist, hips, thigh, calves, arms, etc) so I think there is variability in exact placement of the tape.  Also, I measured myself after my "cheat" meals so I may have been a little bloated which probably didn't help.  I may double check my measurements tonight.

Hope everyone has a great WEEK 2!!!

I made it through strength training last night. It felt better than last week. Tonight I got cardio #1for the week done. It was a brisk 29°F :wacko: but I did it. I bumped my "sprint" time up to 60 seconds vs 30. I definitely felt it more by the end. Overall week 2 is starting strong!!!

DsK3Jcq.gif

Great job battling through the cold again! I'm feeling like a wuss sitting here in my office with cold toesies.

Thanks, it's rough but doable.  Unfortunately it's only November!  It's only going to get colder!!  Do they sell bat-thermal underwear? :playful:

Ok week 2 is almost over! So far so good, I got all 4 workouts in, and although I already had to use both "cheat meals" if I maintain discipline I should succeed with my diet. Though my official weigh in isn't until tomorrow I did hop on the scale this morning. If it's accurate I'm down to 215 lbs (down from 222 lbs at start of challenge)! I'll try and give a full update tomorrow or Monday.

Thanks, it's rough but doable.  Unfortunately it's only November!  It's only going to get colder!!  Do they sell bat-thermal underwear? :playful:

Batman onesie? :tongue:

You can get a Batman Union suit :)  http://www.superherostuff.com/batman/body-suit/batman-grey-union-suit-pajamas-wcape-and-cowl.html?itemcd=pajbatgreysuit

Week 2 Summary:  Strength Workouts X2 = Success.  Cardio/Speed X2 = Success, 90% Paleo Diet = Close but Success!  My official weigh in was 215 lbs (Down 7 lbs this challenge!!)   :pride:  :pride:

Now for the frustrating news I've been tracking my body fat% based on tape measurements and according to the calculations my bodyfat is UP two weeks in a row (31 to 33%).  WTF!?!? :nightmare: My waist is down 1/2 inch, thighs down 1/4 inch. The only measurement that went up is my bicep.  So I'm at a loss.  I borrowed  some calipers and will try those and see if it's any different.

Great job on the weight loss! As for Body fat, I have no clue :( I was starting to think I might try to check in the best way to start tracking it.

I've been using an app called body monitor which allows you to calculate and track BMI, weight, and body fat. I checked my BF% on some other websites and got anywhere fro 31 to 34% so my app seems to be in the right ballpark but the trend of it increasing every week is frustrating.

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines