Xerla - Gotta Save Gretel

Xerla

INTRO

TL;DR version below

Fresh out of her training camp, [sAVE GRETEL] was her first mission as witch huntress. Rumour said that Hansel, Gretel’s brother, escaped the witch’s prison, but still trapped inside the castle.

After climbing the endless castle stairs and did some serious kicking and punching to the evil minions, she entered the prison dungeon to whack the final boss: The Witchbread.

Little did she know that a special armor is an absolute must for her epic win.

Too lazy to level up and ignoring her lack of self-discipline, thinking that the stats of her current body measurements won’t make huge difference, she dived right into the last battle with her comfortable-and-good-enough-yet-not-the-best armor.

Boy was she wrong.

Tiny differences, just few little inches, enough to knocked her out.

I failed, totally game over this time, she thought.

But then, Hansel jumped out of nowhere, grabbed her arms and dragged her out of the dungeon.

“I thought you had the special armor with you!!†Hansel yelled.

“Well, I do have it with me! But, well, um…†she stopped.

“What?â€

“Um… It didn’t fit nicely.â€

“Huh?!â€

“I can’t breathe normally wearing it. I can’t even move properly. So um, yeah.â€

yLo9mXL.jpg

“…..For the love of every Norse gods, you failed just because the armor was too tight?!â€

“Yeah, I don’t know why suddenly it didn’t fit—â€

“I know. You ate each and every bread from those little evil minions after you defeat them.â€

“…Oh.â€

“See? That’s why. Now, you must make the armor fits into your body. And you’ll do it MY way. It’s different from your usual routine, but I know your weaknesses. Trust me.â€

“Go on."

"First of all, don’t pick up those snacks. Nope, don’t even buy it from the item shop!! Eat real food 3x per day to keep you full and distracts you from picking up unnecessary poisonous snacks along the way, the ones that will turn into fat, slow you down, drain the money you keep to enhance your equipments, and waste your time by eating them. And you better get some serious skill upgrade. Level up your movement, punches and kicks, train again at your Muay Thai camp and Aikido dojo. Power them up with your favorite bodyweight routine. And uh, you're too stiff to move around, stretch those hamstrings. Okay, got it? Now do it. My sister’s life depends on you. She can hang in there for 6 weeks, but after that….â€

WR6XQqa.jpg

“Let’s do it. I won’t fail again this time."

——

TL;DR version

*bows*

Hello guys! 

I decided to join the Monks for this challenge, because now I added Aikido into my exercise routine :)

I practice Muay Thai 1 - 2x /week regularly , and now I’m back training Aikido again since my last class on 2004. Back then I quit because I had that severe low self-esteem, thinking that I wouldn’t do well as I was so grossly obese, even though I like the movement in Aikido very much. The day I decided to quit, I made a promise to myself: If my weight hit below 70 kg, I will enter the dojo once again. So here I am, keeping that promise. I already paid 1 month in advance to keep me accountable.

And yes, that Gretel over there is my favorite keychain. I hang her there upside down on my mirror, right across my target clothes. Seeing her and that clothes hanging every day and night should motivate me.

MAIN QUEST
Fit nicely on my target clothes.
Action plans
1. Don’t buy snack
I bought and ate too many cakes and breads. Better tackle this one first.
2. Daily stretching
My Muay Thai instructor told me many many times that I have to improve my flexibility. I have to admit that I’m so lazy doing stretching, so it’s time to get serious now.

I try to make my action plans into a ‘yes or no’ condition. Daily exercise and food logging are parts of my new healthy lifestyle now, so I no longer list it as action plan.

I created a Google Doc of my action plans to make me more accountable.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtKLqVvh9W7udGJib3gybE9OYkZ6QVYzVlctbDVnZHc&usp=sharing 

I wanted to list many other specific goals, like practicing ukemi, kicks and handstand, but I have to keep my goals as simple as possible. I realized that 'one step at a time' really works well for me.

SIDE QUEST
- Life: Pass the Japanese Language Proficiency Test
Finish the kanji book.
- Fitness: Do the Blogilates 100 Day challenge (every Sunday) under 10 minutes
100 jumping jacks, 100 sit ups, 100 squats, 100 criss crosses, 100 bridge, 100 chest press pulses. Current time: 10 minutes.
- Diet: Be a lefty real foodie
Eat real food 2-3x/day with non-dominant hand to slow down my hi-turbo eating speed.
- Mini quests
From guild 

MOTIVATION
Never repeat the same mistake twice.

EXERCISE ROUTINE (adjustable)
Monday: Muay Thai
Tuesday: Aikido
Wed: Total bodyweight
Thu: Core bodyweight
Fri: HIIT
Sat: Rest
Sun: Aikido + Blogilates 100 Challenge 
Not much of change, I only replaced one BW day into Aikido and stack the other Aikido day into Blogilates 100 Challenge day.

MINI DEADLINES
November 23rd: Friend’s wedding.
December 15th: Family meeting.

REWARDS
No food rewards, I’ll save the money to do other fun activities or buy cool stuff XD
Week 1: Go to the shooting training camp with my friend
Week 2: Get a new haircut
Week 3: Buy a complete set of concealer
Week 4: Take the survival swimming course
Week 5: none yet
Week 6: none yet

Grading and body measurements coming soon. Need to find that tape measurements first :D

• Like 1

Not a spirit of cowardice, but of power, love and self-discipline - 2 Timothy 1:7
Intro | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | Current Challenge

The Gretel keychain hanging upside down is awesome. Way to set up those concrete reminders of your goals and not only that, but also integrate them into your story! That's so cool!

Anyway, your challenge looks intense. Loads of work and working out, done in a short period of time. Just what I would expect from an Assassin. It all looks good, so get out there and train already!

• Like 2

The Gretel keychain hanging upside down is awesome. Way to set up those concrete reminders of your goals and not only that, but also integrate them into your story! That's so cool!

Anyway, your challenge looks intense. Loads of work and working out, done in a short period of time. Just what I would expect from an Assassin. It all looks good, so get out there and train already!

Thanks Kishi!

I tried to make this challenge more intense than before by adding some element of survival and life or death, so Gretel there is my first victim :D

So excited with my martial arts training, it's so fun and refreshing!

日本語能力試験ã§é ‘å¼µã£ã¦!!

I hope I got that right... My Japanese is all full of rust.

Welcome! =D

ã‚ã‚ŠãŒã¨ã†ã”ã–ã„ã¾ã™ï½ž

Wow Japanese language XD Awesome! Do you still study it?

---

DAY 1

- Ate peanut butter white toast because I hadn't prepared my breakfast. Not a healthy option and actually I don't like peanut butter.

- Good choice of food for lunch, all veggies and egg, but I ate too much.

- Had ketoprak for dinner, a mix of beansprouts, tofu, vermicelli, crackers and rice cakes with peanut sauce. I didn't eat the rice cakes and only few of the crackers with a little peanut sauce.

- My Muay Thai instructor stretched my legs and now my inner thighs and hamstring hurt so bad. He made me do a pull up, and I failed miserably. His words: next week I want to see some improvements on your flexibility, and whether you're serious about your weight loss commitment or not.

Tactics:

- Make time to prep breakfast.

- Train to reduce the portion into half when eating outside. Otherwise I tend to eat too much.

- Find a good stretching routine.

Magic spell:

Be brave. Don't be afraid on halving the portion, I can still eat later if I need to, and usually I don't need a second round of food. Let go of that feeling of "But.. But.. What if I'm still hungry?" I tend to eat too much, got anxious about it, and ended up eating even more. So once again, be brave.

• Like 1

Not a spirit of cowardice, but of power, love and self-discipline - 2 Timothy 1:7

Sweet, more aikido peeps in the Monkery.  Always makes me happy to see fellow aikidoka. :)

Totally intense challenge, good luck!  (And thanks to you and the Shogun, now I feel like I need to learn Japanese writing.  Damn.  I was so content with just trying to figure out how to speak it, too....)

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

DAY 2

AMBUSH

- Messed up real bad on diet. My mother impulsively took a martabak (sweet thick pancake) baking course and she plans to sell it at our bakery. So she asked me to try all the martabak with every topping available (cheese, chocolate, durian, coffee, etc.), I totally didn't see this one coming, so I got bewitched. Of course I ate them all.

- My sensei suddenly cancelled the class due to an important meeting. Usually I exercise early in the morning when I don't have martial art class for that day, so today I haven't exercise, got home late (rain = flood = traffic) and already tired.

- The new cardiology module is extremely extreme. Long class from 8 AM - 3 PM or more, Mon - Fri instead of 3 days per week, meaning that almost every day I have to go at 5 AM and wake up at 3 AM. Last internal medicine module was only 3 days per week with shorter class duration, so this is a huge change.

- Feeling discouraged, sad and scared, it's Day 2 and things went bad already... But I'm already busy, I don't have time to be weak and sappy!

+ I didn't buy any snack today, even when I got stuck at supermarket and feeling hungry, I managed to survive the endless attack from the biscuits on that snack aisle.

+ I reduced the portion of my lunch and ate clean.

= I think I'm tired and need more time to adapt to the new routine. So when I got ambushed by food, I found a (false) comfort. 

Tactics:

- Better time management.

- Enhance action plan #1. If the situation is like this, I need to be more ruthless on my self-discipline.

Okay, now it's time for the late exercise, since the Aikido class will be on Friday, so tonight's exercise is HIIT! 15 Burpee Pyramid with kettlebell swings, so it will be 225 burpees and 225 kettlebell swings. I'm going to add 1 so it'll be 226, as a reminder that I won't repeat today's mistake.

Sweet, more aikido peeps in the Monkery.  Always makes me happy to see fellow aikidoka. :)

Totally intense challenge, good luck!  (And thanks to you and the Shogun, now I feel like I need to learn Japanese writing.  Damn.  I was so content with just trying to figure out how to speak it, too....)

Thanks! And yayy for aikido! :)

Yes yes, come and learn Japanese too, it's totally fun and confusing at the same time. You'll know what I mean when you started dreaming in kanji whenever you sleep haha XD

First rule of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Don't panic.

It's only day 2. There's plenty of time left to rock out and be awesome in this challenge. Things do not always go smoothly at the start - the Aikido is really new to you, it sounds like, and you're having to adjust the routines that you knew to accommodate. It's okay. You should expect things to go a little rough in the first week or so. Ultimately, it's gonna come down to how well you can stick to what you've said you'll do.

One day is not an accurate measure of how that's gonna happen for you. Ronin's honor. Now pick yourself up, shake it off, and hit it again.

What up Xerla? You have a great set up and goals. Nice pics by the way!

A difficult start? Don´t feel bad. It happens to everyone. Sometimes, life will keep throwing rocks of all sizes against your plans. Hang in there and adapt if necessary. You knew saving Gretel was not going to be easy, don´t let her down!  =D

Level: 4 Human Monk

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 10.75 | CON: 6.75 | WIS: 13.75 | CHA: 1.75 |

"Effort without results is only self satisfying bunk" - Kain R. Heinlein.

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

"Misery is comfortable. Happiness takes effort." - David Wong.

First rule of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Don't panic.

It's only day 2. There's plenty of time left to rock out and be awesome in this challenge. Things do not always go smoothly at the start - the Aikido is really new to you, it sounds like, and you're having to adjust the routines that you knew to accommodate. It's okay. You should expect things to go a little rough in the first week or so. Ultimately, it's gonna come down to how well you can stick to what you've said you'll do.

One day is not an accurate measure of how that's gonna happen for you. Ronin's honor. Now pick yourself up, shake it off, and hit it again.

What up Xerla? You have a great set up and goals. Nice pics by the way!

A difficult start? Don´t feel bad. It happens to everyone. Sometimes, life will keep throwing rocks of all sizes against your plans. Hang in there and adapt if necessary. You knew saving Gretel was not going to be easy, don´t let her down!  =D

Thank you so much guys! So many things happened at once, I'm trying to sort things out and feel better already. Now I'm back on track, never two in a row XD

Had a little trauma after the failure from my last challenge and it makes me nervous, but I think it's more about mindset, I should view this new challenge as a fresh reset :)

---

DAY 3

- I tripped when I did my laundry, almost fell but I regained my balance thanks to all the stretching exercises XD I totally love it when my exercises improves my daily life haha

- Needed extra motivation, and then I re-read my previous challenge threads. I noticed that back then I cherished and tracked every progress I made. I realized that I never tracked my progress anymore.

- I need to update my thread often and visit other threads, it keeps me on track. I'll be visiting more threads tomorrow XD

- Ate clean today, prep my own breakfast and made good choice on food. I can even resist the klappertaart and mini Twix bars from my parents. It was hard, but I did it!

- getting better at push ups and tricep dips! And I did yesterday's burpees non stop and faster than last time. Major progress XD

- Lack of sleep for 2 days. Hopefully tomorrow I'll have better sleep.

Following!

Yay! Glad to see you here!!

*peeks around the corner* Safe to enter? Alright, How's it going? Been logging better today? Maybe sleep better at least?

Come on in! Yep I got a nice 8 hours sleep yesterday, I feel so refreshed today XD

---

DAY 4

- I almost caught a cold. I feel sick and sleepy since morning and went straight to bed after I got home.

- Decided to switch my rest day, so I can fully rest today.

Today's note:

Lack of sleep can be fatal.

DAY 5

- I feel so much better! But I'll take more rest on this weekend. 

- Today's my 2nd Aikido class, and there was only me and 2 other senior students. Everything went pretty well, except that I couldn't do left side ushiro ukemi. I can do it well on my right backward roll, but I just can't do it on my left side! The sensei also mentioned about exam on December, well, I really need to train hard to be ambidextrous. Oh, I also slammed my head really hard I saw stars circling around me back then hahaha~

- I did good on not buying any snacks, but the problem is the snacks just keep coming even without me actively buying them. My friends and family always offered me those gorgeous looking and delicious snacks. I can avoid some, but most of them are irresistible and rapidly draining my willpower. I think I should add another action plan: eat max half portion of the snacks. 

- I ate 2 pieces of fried banana with chili sauce. Bad decision. I think I was thirsty, didn't bring water with me, so I ate anything that was close to me.

- Slowly but sure, I finished 1 chapter a day of my Japanese kanji book.

- Grad school lesson is getting more interesting yet very demanding recently, weekly exam, many assignments, and starting next week I'll enter the hospital to find patients for my case reports. Everyday is busy day, but I like clinical work, so I really enjoy this cardiology module.

Today's note:

1. Halve all the snacks, and don't buy snacks.

2. Bring water bottle everywhere.

Hey Xerla! How is that rescue coming? =D

Level: 4 Human Monk

STR: 14 | DEX: 7 | STA: 10.75 | CON: 6.75 | WIS: 13.75 | CHA: 1.75 |

"Effort without results is only self satisfying bunk" - Kain R. Heinlein.

"You can make mistakes, but you are not a failure until you blame others for those mistakes." - John Wooden.

"Misery is comfortable. Happiness takes effort." - David Wong.

Hi guys! Sorry for not updating this thread, I got sick. So here's a quick update!

I was very busy on Week 2, got extremely tired on Week 3, and now I'm having this disease called pleurisy, and inflammation of the thin layers of the tissue (pleura) covering my lungs and chest wall. Somehow the virus/bacteria from my common cold managed to enter my pleura, and I have chest pain every time I breathe, and all the fever. Not fun. 

I'm doing pretty well on my quest, I fit better on my target clothes (my regular check-in day is Sunday). Not being extremely strict with my food, but I eat everything in moderation.

I really enjoyed my aikido class, I'm getting better at ukemi. Unfortunately, I can't continue my training for 1 - 2 weeks.

I'm trying to eat healthy in order to get a quicker recovery, but I don't know why I tend to self-indulge whenever I'm sick.

Thank you, thank you very much for keep checking on me :D

I'll be back ASAP after I'm feeling better! 

Wow, you got the epic sickness. I'm sorry to hear that. You focus on getting better; the challenge will still be here when you're ready.

And hey, it sounds like you've been getting results regardless. You've been controlling your eating, and your body's reacting accordingly. Kudos!

Thank you so much for the support guys! :D

Turned out the illness was serious. The doctor even said "if you were late for a few days, you would've died." It was a lung infection and I got a massive (1 liter) pleural fluid pooled around my left lung, so the doctor did a procedure of 'thoracocentesis'. He punctured my left back to get the fluid out. It was scary and hurt a little bit. And the funny part was when he said "Oh wow, you have good muscles! The needle just won't go in easily!" XD 

I asked him if the illness was so serious, why I didn't feel too sick? He said it's because I have good nutrition.

He also said that I must not push myself too hard physically and eat more.

My family and friends were so worried they gave me food all the time, and by food I mean donuts, cakes, breads, etc. And perhaps the drugs really increased my appetite. So now I gained 3 kgs and my clothes suddenly feel a little bit tight. Oh no!

I will start my workout routine again next week. I tried to do some light stretching before, but my lung still hurt whenever I moved. I really miss doing workout!

I'm currently thinking about how to keep myself from gaining fat when I'm not able to do any workout and without compromising my health. All this time I was doing diet and exercise with 100% good health, so my current condition is really challenging for my fat loss program. The best way to succeed seems to be eating clean. So for this week, I made a personal challenge of eating clean 3x a day, limit myself from eating bad food into 2x a day and track my food. I already told my family and friends that the 'right' kind of food will help me recover even faster, so I was so happy when my mother brought me a chicken broccoli instead of the usual beef mayonnaise bread XD

Now I still got tired easily, but I feel so much better already, even though all I can do is only sleeping and more sleeping hahaha...

Wow ^^   Glad you came through that ordeal.  Take it easy for a full recovery!

so I was so happy when my mother brought me a chicken broccoli instead of the usual beef mayonnaise bread XD

Thumbs up for family support.

Nusuth Revamped

Current Challenge

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf 

Jon Kabat-Zinn

A quitter never wins and a winner never quits.

Napoleon Hill

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines