• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Xerla

Xerla - Gotta Save Gretel

Wow, that sounds like it was super serious. I'm glad to hear you made it through, though it does sound like exercise might be problematic for you at this point. On the other hand, way to see that how you eat and how you move have such significant effects on how you feel!

Okay, so, time for friendly advice. Your goal is fat loss, but it seems that most exercise is going to be painful for you. You've realized that how you eat is going to be a big part of how you keep your body's composition under control. There are a couple of different fronts to attack this with.

On the exercise front, a long walk in the morning or before you eat can be super helpful. It'd have to be a long walk, to be fair - something like 45 minutes to an hour, and it would be at its most effective if done in a fasted state.

On the eating front, keep your protein up, and if you were eating carbs, trade the carbs for healthy fats. If you were counting calories, adjust them down a little bit to reflect the change in activity; otherwise, play it by ear. Also: all the vegetables you can eat.

Hopefully, that'll help you keep things under control until you're healed enough to resume full workouts. Also, don't feel guilty if you end up having a 'cheat' meal maybe once a week or so. Just try to save it for something important. :)

• Like 1

Wow ^^   Glad you came through that ordeal.  Take it easy for a full recovery!

Thumbs up for family support.

Thank you Nusuth ^^ I'm glad that my family supported me all the way, they really made things easier for me! :)

Wow, that sounds like it was super serious. I'm glad to hear you made it through, though it does sound like exercise might be problematic for you at this point. On the other hand, way to see that how you eat and how you move have such significant effects on how you feel!

Okay, so, time for friendly advice. Your goal is fat loss, but it seems that most exercise is going to be painful for you. You've realized that how you eat is going to be a big part of how you keep your body's composition under control. There are a couple of different fronts to attack this with.

On the exercise front, a long walk in the morning or before you eat can be super helpful. It'd have to be a long walk, to be fair - something like 45 minutes to an hour, and it would be at its most effective if done in a fasted state.

On the eating front, keep your protein up, and if you were eating carbs, trade the carbs for healthy fats. If you were counting calories, adjust them down a little bit to reflect the change in activity; otherwise, play it by ear. Also: all the vegetables you can eat.

Hopefully, that'll help you keep things under control until you're healed enough to resume full workouts. Also, don't feel guilty if you end up having a 'cheat' meal maybe once a week or so. Just try to save it for something important. :)

Thank you Kishi! I'll follow your wonderful advice :)
Walking was the start of my fat loss journey, I'm sure it'll be nice to do it again! Back then all I did was a simple (er, wait, it was a huge chore until I realized the benefit haha) 3 - 5 x per week of 30 - 60 minutes of walking using an old Nintendo Wii game called Walk-it Out. I'll continue to play the game with the same routine in a fasted state before I go to college. This should be easy, because usually I do my workout for 60 minutes right after I wake up, all I need to do is exchanging those now-looks-so-crazy-intense workout regime with walking. I'll start with 3x per week, and then gradually increase the frequency every week, but I'll keep the duration between 30 - 60 minutes with low intensity.
Once my fitness level improves, I'll exchange one walking day with light jump rope day for 15 - 30 minutes, not non stop. Well, I can barely do 3 minutes of non stop jump rope anyway hahaha...
My lung still hurts whenever I sleep on my left side, so I better avoid martial arts training and body weight exercises for now... So sad :(
I'm so excited to try my post-illness workout regime! I won't push myself too hard, and adjust everything according to my physical condition. Can't wait for next Monday :D

---

I'm getting better each day! 
The only bad thing is one of the drugs has the adverse effects of peptic ulcer, increasing appetite and weight gain due to salt-water retention. No no no. But really, I feel like I can eat anything in a huge amount at a very short time. It's like a binge pill! I need to take it twice a day, it's not a problem if take it at night, but in the morning... I'm sure I can devour a whole roasted chicken by myself! And I can't do intermittent fasting because my stomach will hurt. But I figured that drinking really helps a lot to curb my appetite, and if I really can't stand it anymore, at least I eat healthy food and watch my portion using a little self-hypnosis (you're not hungry, it's just a drug side effect, don't be fooled!) hahaha. I can handle the side effects way better now. Next week I'll stop taking that drug, so hopefully I can recalibrate my appetite.

Hey, it's all good. Remember, food choice is queen; it is the most primary important thing that you can do to get your body squared away.

Hey Xerla! I am so sorry to hear you got sick! But I am glad that you are safe and on the mend. Your recovery plan looks solid, especially with your family supporting you with good food. You are going to beat this and come back stronger than ever!

Hey, it's all good. Remember, food choice is queen; it is the most primary important thing that you can do to get your body squared away.

Food choice is the best XD

Hey Xerla! I am so sorry to hear you got sick! But I am glad that you are safe and on the mend. Your recovery plan looks solid, especially with your family supporting you with good food. You are going to beat this and come back stronger than ever!

Thank you Eilyd! My recovery plan is going well! Eating clean even without exercising makes me feel healthy :)

---

So the challenge is over.. I feel that I didn't do it 100%, mostly because of my illness. What a bad luck XD

I have no idea how to evaluate this challenge, because I only did my quests for around 2 weeks!

1. Food

Eating clean is superb. I ate a ton due to drugs side effects and gained 4 kg (8.8 lbs), but since I was eating clean most of the time right before everything completely went out of control, I went back to my original weight! That means a loss of 8.8 lbs and I still feel healthy and energetic. 

2. Exercise

I tried to do a light walking for 60 minutes, but sadly it triggered the pain. I think I will skip exercise until January, and start from another light walking again.

Technically, I failed my main quest because I didn't feel any change when I tried to wear my target clothes (oh poor Gretel, she will be still hanging there upside down for another 7 weeks lol), but I'm still happy to know that eating clean is a very good way for recovery without gaining weight.

I'm glad my recovery is 90% now. Still feel that sharp pain around my left back and it's getting worse recently, I'm going to do chest x-ray examination next week, and hopefully everything's okay XD

Get better! You aren't supposed to be laid up like this. You need to be out and fighting! :D

Sounds like this was a learning experience for you. Awesome. Now the trick is to do with the learning.

Get better! You aren't supposed to be laid up like this. You need to be out and fighting! :D

Sounds like this was a learning experience for you. Awesome. Now the trick is to do with the learning.

Oh I just got an awesome news :D

---

My current subject at college is aerospace pulmonology, so today I asked my lecturer (a pulmonologist, of course) about my lung disease, and he told me that "it will take a long time to completely pain-free, the virus or bacteria might have gone already, but that leftover pain caused by the inflammatory process won't go away soon."

I was like "so I have to postpone my exercise until months later?!" I can hear my body screamed "no way!" :D I can't just sit by and wait for who knows how long, I don't even know whether the pain will completely gone or not.

As a medical doctor, I completely aware about the whole inflammation thing and light workouts won't seriously effect my recovery process, moreover, it will help me recover faster. Maybe it was psychological. I was afraid. I was afraid I can't do any exercise without feeling any pain, even though I know it's not like that. I need an expert opinion to clarify that it is just psychological factor that stopped me from continuing my workout. 

So I did some fitness test using burpees just a moment ago, a 10-pyramid burpees instead of 15. 10-pyramid is around 102 burpees and 15 is 225, so I did only half of my usual routine. And boy I went soooo out of breath hahaha.. Fortunately my lungs were okay, I was so afraid whenever my breathing rate increased my lungs will hurt. 

I think I did well, next time I will do 11-pyramid and increase it until I'm fit enough to go back to 15. I'll do it 2x/week, other days I might do some light stretching or walking, with max 5x/week of exercise. I will do 30 minutes of fast walking though, I got seriously bored with 60 minutes of moderate walking hahaha... 

Ah yay! I am glad to hear that it is not bad for you to go back to exercising some. Your tenacity is so inspiring. :) Let us know what the official word from the doctor is?

Ah yay! I am glad to hear that it is not bad for you to go back to exercising some. Your tenacity is so inspiring. :) Let us know what the official word from the doctor is?

I'm going to visit the doctor on Monday or Tuesday and I'll tell you about my final diagnosis :)

----

Merry Christmas!

It was a great Christmas with family, and I ate a lot.

I usually panicked about eating too much, but these past 2 days, I consciously eating all my favourite food on the dining table without feeling guilty at all. Well, maybe a little bit, because for certain cakes, I ate them more than a single portion just because it was so good and rare XD

I won't do the same mistake on New Year. I can eat anything I want, but only in extremely moderate amount. Not more than a single portion!

Today I started working out using Blogilates beginner calendar. I was thinking on doing the usual regular calendar, but I just feel like I wasn't ready yet (today was the super deadly HIIT + 1 mile run). Maybe it was a mental block, but I don't want to start anything that might stressed me out and prevent me on doing exercise. So I did a beginner total body workout today to let my muscles familiarize themselves with those good ol' moves, and well, my whole body is as rigid as a sturdy tree lol. I can't even do a proper downward-facing dog pose! But it was so good to start a real workout again. My decision to start my routine using beginner calendar was right, I'm getting excited again, I feel ready and able to exercise.

Oh good good good! :) Do not be discouraged; I am happy for you that you can get back to a full workout! And you will get back in good form in no time.

Good move. What you need right now are wins, things that remind you that you can do this. You'll get it back, I'm sure of it.

Happy New Year!

I went to the doctor yesterday and took a chest x-ray. Even though the fluid is still there, he said I'm recovering greatly and told me to keep my healthy eating habit. To avoid the chest pain, he advised me to delay heavy aerobic exercises (for around 2 months) because it will increase my breathing effort. I need to weigh myself on each visit for drugs' dose adjustment (can't run from the scale now), and my last weight was 70 kg (154.3 lbs). Oh! After all those crazy eating I can still maintain my weight! XD My body weight target is around 63 - 65 kg, so I need to lose another 5 - 7 kg (11 - 15 lbs). That will be my new target for next month's visit!