Jill Beat - Progress through Routine

Jill Beat

This is my second NF challenge.  The first one went great for the first 1-4 weeks, then I had a really hard time keeping up with it.  If you read that first post of mine, it talks about how I joined up here because I have a hard time following through with weight loss changes (and apparently that time wasn't too much different).  During a rant with a friend I think I figured out why I have a hard time sticking with it.  I'm already fairly fit and have a lot of good health practices.  If a lot of people did what I currently do, they'd see incredible results immediately.  For me losing weight is extremely f*%#ing hard.  I get frustrated because other people make small changes and see great results.  I know I shouldn't be comparing myself to others, and I don't want to take away from their successes.  But for me it's not as easy as "oh, maybe I should stop eating 20 cheese burgers a week" (exaggeration, obviously).  Basically the common "small changes" don't seem to work for me.

My main life quest is to reduce my body fat percentage.  I don't really care what the scale says, I care more about how I look and feel.  I've changed my main quest for this mission:

YOUR MAIN QUEST - Be more boring. 

For myself, I think right now it's about simplifying, and creating more routine.  I was really inspired by this article of Steve's here:http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/11/15/are-you-boring/   Saint/Staci/Joe - those are all some pretty sexy examples of boring ;)

3 GOALS

1.  Sleep - create a consistent bed time routine (brush teeth, wash face, stretching, meditation)! 

- get up at the same time every day (no snooze button)

- set a light on a timer for 15 minutes before alarm goes off (light helps the body wake up)

The reason for this goal, is because I really think that lack of sleep and too much stress is hindering my progress. 

2. Stretching - I want to increase my flexibility, largely hip/leg/back flexibility.  This is my only "fitness-based" goal but I chose this because it has very measureable results.  I'm someone who's motivated by the result, and the progress that I will be able to see with this will motivate me through the challenge.

3. Simplify food! I know that what I eat will be my biggest determining factor and also my toughest challenge!  I want to get back to very basics, forget fancy paleo recipes (which I do enjoy making) it's time to focus!

Breakfast - continuing on with my regular breakfast of egg(s), spinach, and homemade pork/turkey sausage patties (usually any 2 of those 3)

Lunch - something simple - soup or salad with protein, raw veggies to snack on, or occasionally nuts

Dinner - protein with 2 vegetable sides

SIDE QUESTS

Life Side Quest: I'm a part time fitness instructor and a full time engineer.  Eventually, one day down the road, I would like to transition into working full time in fitness. While I'm definitely not there yet, I currently have a website of my own that I really would like to continue to develop as a fitness blog/resource.  So my life side quest is to work on this, and put aside 2 hours a week to devote to it (not necessarily all at once).  If you want to stop by/follow it's www.fitnesswithjill.com.  It's currently fairly void of useful content, and I started re-designing it, so it's a bit of a shamble right now.  Just so ya know ;)

DECLARE YOUR MOTIVATION - My motivation is my future goals to help others with fitness & health.  I feel like I need to get it figured out for myself to better help others. 

Progress Tracking - I saw this on Metalhead's challenge post and I really like it! 

Legend

Red - unbolded = not met yet, but week not done. Bolded = not achieved for the week.

Green = achieved

Blue are totals

Template for updates

1. Bedtime routine - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/42

3. Food - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/7 - 0/42 

Goal #2 is a little harder to measure in terms of a number, but weekly, I'll evaluate how close I am to getting my splits, bridge/wheel pose, cheerleading stretches (heel stretch, scorpion).  And maybe take photos as a visual measure.

Starting Stats (to come)

Height - 5'3"

Weight -

Waist –

Hips –

Arm –

Thigh –

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines