Wollio and Battle of the Willpower Wastelands

Wollio

Here's a little background on myself: approximately 1 year from now, my husband and I are planning to quit our jobs and move onto a sailboat, cruising the world. We've been planning and saving for about 2 years now and are super excited to be as close as we are. That being said, I want to make sure that I am ready for life aboard physically as well as mentally to assist with boat jobs and add safety to our journey. (For more info, visit my first challenge thread.)

For this particular challenge, I'll be working on maintaining consistent workout habits, as well as breaking the bad habit that I have of eating any snacks that are available to me. Especially this time of year when there are so many temptations, wining the battle over my willpower is always a struggle. In addition, my life goal is also going along with the willpower theme. I need to be better about consistently updating my blog to maintain readership and grow it before we leave.

Main Quest: To increase strength, dexterity, and overall health before casting off the lines.

Fitness Goals:

1. Get Strong! Going with this again since I want to just continue to increase my baseline strength. This time around, I will be following a Monday, Wednesday, Friday schedule to hopefully increase my motivation retention and eliminate confusion on when I should be working out.
  2. I am the Pretzel: Improve overall flexibility by doing yoga twice a week. The schedule will fit into the Tuesday/Thursday slots in my week, with the potential to use the weekends as catch up for special circumstances. Also, I've found in the past that yoga is a great way for me to relax.
  3. Defeat the Cookie Monster: Limit junk food intake to twice per week maximum. This includes (but not limited to): baked goods, candy, and other garbage made available at work and family gatherings during the holidays. 

Lifestyle Goal:

Willpower Renaissance: Post a new article on my blog a minimum of once a week.

Grading:

Get Strong: 3pts of Strength possible. 

• 3 = miss <4 days during challenge
  • 2 = miss 4-6 days during challenge
  • 1 = miss 7-9 days during challenge

I am the Pretzel: 2pts of Dexterity; 2pts Stamina

• 2 Dex/2 Sta = 10+ yoga sessions
  • 1 Dex/1 Sta = 8-9 yoga sessions

Defeat the Cookie Monster: 2pts Constitution; 2pts Wisdom

• 2 Con/2 Wis = <13 samples of junk
  • 1 Con/1 Wis = 13-15 samples of junk

Willpower Renaissance: 4pts of Wisdom possible

• 4 = Publish 6+ posts on my blog
  • 3 = Publish 5 posts 
  • 2 = Publish 4 posts
  • 1 = Publish 3 posts

Motivation: To be ready when my family needs me.

Wollio

Lvl 3 Human Warlock Ranger

STR 5 | DEX 3 | STA 3 CON 6 WIS 2 CHA 5

"Happiness is anyone and anything at all

That’s loved by you."

-You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown

Battle of the Willpower Wastelands (Current Challenge)

The Need for Speed (Ch 2)

Strength for the Journey Ahead (Ch 1)

Countdown to an Epic Journey (Intro)

Follow the Horizon (personal blog)

Thanks! Its kind of funny because we have been planning and preparing for it for over 2 years and the beginning of October started our 1 year remaining countdown. We are super excited, but at the same time I have this huge urgency all of a sudden when I think about all of the things we want and need to accomplish before next October! Doing these challenges helps me breakdown some of those things into more manageable goals.

Wollio

That’s loved by you."

Wow, so day 1 showed me how hard my 2 junk food a week goal is going to be for me. Yesterday afternoon, I got an email saying "Chocolate chip and peanut butter cookies in the breakroom!" Even though cookies are basically my greatest weakness, I held out and did not go get one, though I almost broke down. Then last night, my 3 year old asked me for some mini m&m's which I poured him out a small handful. I proceeded to pour myself a small handful and toss it in my mouth...and then I spit it out lol. I don't even really like mini m&m's! It gave me a reality check on how often I've actually been eating junk without realizing it. 

Day 2: baby shower at work, /sigh.

Wollio

That’s loved by you."

Great goals! I had a guitar student who did the sailboat life for several years. He and his wife loved it. They sailed all over the world. He used to say that it was an incredible, life-changing adventure that also did wonders for their relationship. How exciting to be getting so close!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

daggart: Thanks so much! I think sometimes we appear more organized than we feel, but I think that's just the nature of the game. 

Lt_Laurel: that is really cool that you know someone who has actually done cruising for a while! At this point, we aren't sure how long we will want to do it for, but we figure that it is going to be an awesome experience regardless. A lot of people say that people either come out of it divorced or with a better relationship than they ever thought possible. That's what happens when you are with someone literally 24 hours a day in a very small space dealing with situations that you have to depend on each other. 

On the workout front, I have changed up my program a little in order to accomplish more of what I want. I'm using Nia Shanks Beautiful Badass Bodyweight Workout program, but on more of a Angry Birds workout style schedule. The BBBW program has 3 circuits of doing 5 reps a piece of pull-ups (I'm doing inverted rows), pistol squats (working on one leg box squats), push-ups, and glute bridge/hip-thrusts. You are supposed to do a variation which you can perform 10 in a row perfectly and then increase the difficulty every 2 weeks (daily schedule of 3 days on, 1 off.) This seemed to be working fairly well, with a few caviats:

1. The schedule was too hard for me to maintain. I like having the same days of the week be my workout days, and having them move around all the time was hard to keep up with and stay motivated. This time around, I am just going with a Monday, Wedneday, Friday schedule, with some basic yoga on Tuesdays and Thursdays to even me out.
  2. Because I'll have more recovery time between workouts, I am planning to push myself on variations a little harder. I'll still do 3 circuits of 5 reps, but instead of doing a variation that I can do 10 perfect reps in a row, I will do the next variation in which I can't currently complete the full three circuits. (similar to the Angry Birds workout on NF) Once I can consistently complete 3 perfect circuits, then I can move up to the next variation. 

I'm hoping these changes will help me to stay more motivated by pushing me to do better every workout and not get bored/complacent. Also, does anyone have any good suggestions for an Andriod yoga app I can use? I used to use Daily Yoga and really liked it, but now it isn't working on my phone at all and I'm not sure what happened. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling it with no luck, so I think I'm going to have to find something else. 

Wollio

That’s loved by you."

How are the changes working for you? I briefly checked out the Nia Shanks site and it looks really good. I want to dig a little deeper into it this weekend. Have you been using it long?

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines