swaffe: defeat the darkness

swaffe

Hello everyone! So I am back after dropping out of my second challenge due to some health issues and too many things going on.  All of these things together brought some major darkness (mostly mental) back into my life, and because I don't see the stress retreating anytime soon I must do my best to defeat the darkness or at least battle it in some way so my goals are centered towards that this time around.  So a little less fitness related but still what I need more for the time being.

Main Quest
Work on being physically well since the mind and body are tied

• Eat well by focussing on whole foods (at least 1 meal a day consisting of nothing but whole foods and focussing on them as much  as possible during the other meals and snacks) 
  • Drink plenty (2+ liters) of water

Grading: A-35+ days of whole foods and 2+ liters of water  B-30+ days  C-25+ days  D-20+ days F-19 or less days

STR-2  CON-2

Work on getting in touch with my inner self to heal the mind

• Go to yoga 1 time a week
  • Mediate (alone or using guided meditation) everyday

Grading: A-35+ plus days of meditation and yoga 6 times  B-30+ days meditation and 5x  yoga  C-25+days meditation 4x yoga  D-20+ days

meditation 3x yoga  F-less than 19 days meditation 2x yoga

CON-2 WIS-2

Make progress on the things I can change or at least influence

• Do at least one thing everyday that is a step in changing the situations that are really sucky at the moment

List of things I can do (may be added to)

*Reasearch the process to getting my OH a fiance or spousal visa

*Start the paper work and/or process for said visas
               *Submit an application for a better and/or second job
               *Look into how to sell paintings and/or hand spun yarn
               *Actually start selling one of those two things

*Put away some money for OH’s visa/visits and/or my continuing ed classes

Grading: A-35+ days of taking a step  B-30+ days  C-25+ days  D-20+ days F-19 or less days
        WIS-3 CHA-2

Work on positive coping strategies

• I have a list of strategies to use I just need to try them before using the 2 negative coping strategies I have used for years (I’m keeping this one as brief as possible)

Grading:  This one I’m going to do a little bit diffrently so I don’t get down on myself for it and fuel the negative cycle.  So everytime I use a

positive coping strategy first I will get one point.  For everytime I try a positive strategy first and then turn to negative after the points will remain

the same.  Anytime I turn directly to a negative strategy I will loose a point.  I am starting today with 0 points.  At the end of 6 weeks A-5+ points 

B-0 Points  C-negative 5+ points  D-less than negative 5 points.  There will be no F for this category.  I know this is convoluted but it is the best I

can think of and what I need in this area right now.
       STA-3

There will be no side quest this time since I have 4 main quest steps

• Like 1

Level 2 Hobbit Druid

STR 1 I DEX 2 I STA 4 I CON 5.5 I WIS 7.5 I CHA 4.75

Challenge 1 - 1.1 - 1.2 - Current Challenge

I'm assuming your OH is isn't in the same country as you are? Good luck on this paper work, a friend of mine had to go through it but she was already living with her OH here in Canada so the paper work wasn't to bad. It was the waiting time, hope yours goes fast!

If you need to vent, we are here for you. And I'm looking forward to all the new positive methods you will be implimenting in your life.

The question isn't who's going to let me, it's who's going to stop me!     

~(to come when I remember)

Level 3 Adventurer

Huge NF Meet up?

Polls for marathon meet up: States   International (more info click the link above!)

So far things are going well.  I will do full updates weekly, just because its easier to me.  So far it seems like meditation and coping strategies are going to be the tough ones.  The coping isn't really a surprise to since it has been an up hill battle for a long time and I know it will take time.  The meditation surprised me a bit since I had been doing it randomly, but making it regular is tough.   Yesterday it was pretty late at night before i remebered and today it was a strange time too, so I have to figure out how to remember it.

I'm assuming your OH is isn't in the same country as you are? Good luck on this paper work, a friend of mine had to go through it but she was already living with her OH here in Canada so the paper work wasn't to bad. It was the waiting time, hope yours goes fast!

If you need to vent, we are here for you. And I'm looking forward to all the new positive methods you will be implimenting in your life.

For the time being her isn't in the same country.  We have been together a little over two years and he was orrginnally here on a work visa, but layoffs ended that so it has been rough, and he had to go back to Greece for the time being.  Thank you for the positivity!

Good luck! I hope you get to the end of this challenge (I'm bad at this too) :)

I'm hopping I will too and I'm going to try my best to.  Thanks for the encoragement.

Level 2 Hobbit Druid

So great to have you in this challenge- I love the steps you have laid out for yourself. Can't wait to follow along!

Race: Gallifreyan

Profession: Druid

Level: 6

Current Challenge:Livingroovy Comes Home

[sTR] - 16.8 // [DEX] - 12.25 // [sTA] - 16 // [CON] - 17.3 // [WIS] - 16.55 // [CHA] - 14.6

Find me on the internets: Facebook // Twitter // Kate Marolt | Play Warrior & Excitement Engineer!

Swaffe, welcome back, wonderful to see you again.

Congratulations on an excellent and inspiring challenge design.

I didn't find it too convoluted :-)

November is a dark month (at least where I'm based) and that doesn't help with the darkness either. Take it slow.

With meditation, be kind to yourself - remember santosha. 

I have chosen to believe in myself.

11/30/13 Update Day 20

So things have got a little crazy for me recently.  Within the first week of the challenge I got a second job, which helps with the money factor but makes me a little frazzled.  The job is only a temp job for the season but every bit helps.  So my updated won’t be weekly this time but I’m still going and will update when I can.

Work on being physically well since the mind and body are tied
Number of days eating whole foods: 18
Number of days drinking 2+ liters of water: 20

I’m doing reasonably well on this one.   The whole foods have been a little tough with the two jobs, especially on days I work both jobs, but salad w/homemade dressing, microwavable frozen vegetables, nuts, and fruit have been my friend.

Work on getting in touch with my inner self to heal the mind
Yoga once a week: 2x
Number of days Mediating: 16

So the meditation has been tough with an irregular schedule.  I’ve done it when I can each day, but sometimes its like 7am and sometimes its 11pm with anything in between.  I don’t really know If that is an important factor or not though I haven’t decided.  I think it is helping with a lot of the stuff though.  The one yoga I have missed was this week due to the studio I have been visiting being closed for Thanksgiving.  I will try to make it up in the remaining weeks, but if not I will try not to hold things I can’t change against myself.

Make progress on the things I can change or at least influence

Do at least one step everyday: 20
            List of things I can do (may be added to, and included so I can see my progress as I go)
            *Research the process to getting my OH a fiance or spousal visa
            *Get a cosponsor for the visa and/or find a way to meet the required income

*Start the paper work and/or process for said visas 

*Submit an application for a better job (done some need to do more)
            * Submit an application for a second job

*Look into how to sell paintings and/or hand spun yarn

*Submit the application for a NC sales tax license

*Actually start selling one of those two things or both
            *Put away some money for OH’s visa/visits and/or my continuing ed classes (done some need to do more
 )             

*Research weighted blankets
            *Make a weighted blanket
            *Find a different living situation

I’ve done something each day, yay!  Though despite making progress I feel like the only thing that has changed was the job, even though I know things are moving forward.  Sometimes our feelings don’t line up with the truth and this is one of those times.  So hopefully my feelings will catch up to the situation soon.

Work on positive coping strategies
Current points: +3

This one is still a huge uphill battle for me, but a pattern held for years will not change in days.   To me it is an accomplishment to just have positive points on this, it has been up and down over the 20 days but at least the overall is still positive.

Level 2 Hobbit Druid

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines