• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Kishi

Side Quest Week 1: Wake Up Call

So, after having thought about it, I've figured out what makes us special little snowflakes as opposed to the other guilds. It's not martial arts, actually; there are fighters in the other guilds too, and they never come to visit us, so even though martial arts is a part of what makes us who we are, it's not the core part.

The core part? It's that we're tough. Others might be stronger than us; others might run farther than us; others might swim further or stretch deeper. But at the end of the day, we're the only ones who look for a life that actively punches us in the face. :D

With that in mind, here is our first challenge!

Toughness can be defined in many diverse ways. I think a good, workable definition is, "the ability to grow and be comfortable in circumstances that were previously uncomfortable." It has dimensions that are both physical and mental, and whosoever undertakes these challenges will be exploring both.

The first challenge is to endure severe cold. That's right, boys and girls: we are doing cold showers.

BUT. All the same. Part of the definition is the implicit understanding that toughness is relative. This is a chance to grow. There's no sense in undertaking this if it's going to crush you. So here's how it's going to work: if you are doing this challenge, I want you to post here how long you intend to endure. It can be as short as one second; it can be as long as it takes for you lather and rinse off. You pick it, but then the onus to stick to it is on you.

As for me? I've taken to soaping up and shampooing hot, and rinsing the shampoo out cold. I'm going to change that up - after I'm done soaping up, it's cold the rest of the way.

And now I have to stick to it. Yaaaaaay... ^_^

• Like 1

Gah! I never know what to expect in these minichallenges.

Ok ok...I'll step up to the plate.

This should be interesting...posting about my shower activities....

This should be interesting...posting about my shower activities....

Videos and Pictures can always help you to win... Hahahaha, kidding.

I might have to use a different technique in order to apply the Endure principles of the challenge to the weather here. What about... Training with not A/C or fan? At 31° it sounds like fun. Is that or making a lot of ice cubes. 

• Like 1

Soooo I did it. 5 seconds. Maybe 4 seconds because while I was counting the 5th second, I was already turning the knob. Not doing that again. We can say I'm not tough, that was awful.

Videos and Pictures can always help you to win... Hahahaha, kidding.

giphy.gif

Don't mind him. He's been out for a while.

I mean, look, there's no dishonor in not taking part. Cold showers just sound terrible as a concept. And honestly, if it beats you, that's nothing to be ashamed of either. Most of what we've learned to call 'being tough' is really more about 'being strong' or 'being anaerobic.' These are definitely gonna be off the wall as far as a challenge goes, and I don't want anyone to feel badly if they can't endure.

And yeah, LLW, I really should have thought of that. You were actually on my mind all day, I was like, "... oh, crap. What did I just tell the Canadians to do? In the onset of winter?" You have my permission to beat me, if you want.

I will wash my hair under hot then go cold for the rest of it. I do reserve the right to flash back over to hot for a couple of seconds before I get out.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Of course I read this after the heat at the dojo never kicked on during class and it snowed today! Not tonight, but this week I will shower in the cold for 5 seconds. It will be really cold, but not 100% cold. I know my body's limits and I really shouldn't go that cold. I will have the heat in the house at 80*F (26.6*C) for when it is over. LOL

Hahaha! Yeah, I forgot to mention: you don't have to hit sub zero - you just have to go as cold as you think you can. Thanks for the reminder. ^_^;

Ah I think I got lucky this time. Living in a tropical country, I always do cold shower 2x daily, and sometimes still sweating afterwards XD

But that's not an excuse to skip this awesome mini-quest! I'll add some coldness by using menthol shampoo and mint soap.

And yeah, LLW, I really should have thought of that. You were actually on my mind all day, I was like, "... oh, crap. What did I just tell the Canadians to do? In the onset of winter?" You have my permission to beat me, if you want.

*goes off to get her handwraps*

• Like 3

Jebus.  I have taken cold showers.... but mostly when I lacked AC and the summer heat and humidity was killing me.

Now, it's 35F and snowing in Boston.  Can New England Rebels join the Canadians in beating you, Kishi?

Ugh, I'll try to do a minute in the shower.  Probably after a heavy workout.  I've done as such at the dojo when the water didn't want to heat, but.... it's never a wonderful feeling.

*shakes fist at Kishi*

Ok, right now it is relatively cold for my area... which may be warm for canadian/north american standards. So I´ll try to do full cold showers for the rest of the week. =0

I came across this article on Art of Manliness. It talks about the benefits of a cold shower. More to it than showing you are tough.

Yup! I know that article. It's what got me into fooling around with contrast showers and the like in the first place. I'd still be doing them now if I had a working watch as opposed to just my cellphone.

Wait, so…

Are you asking for a one-time thing, like "your next shower must be cold", or for a full-week thing like "7 cold showers please"?

Well, it's up to you. Myself, I'm holding myself to a full-week thing. I won't hold it against anyone who can't do the full week, but I will ask that people stick to what they say in here.

I'm just gonna put this here.  It seems appropriate.

That said, had a frigid 2 minute dip today after my (somewhat light) workout.  Definitely the way to go, I feel.  At least the internal temp was a bit higher to modulate the heat.  I did have to turn the water colder though - my initial attempt was pretty much body temp.  It did feel surprisingly comfy, though.  Of course, cranking up the heat afterwards to blissful, scalding temps was more glorious.

It's uncharacteristically warm for November in Colorado (as in, it's not even snowing right now), so I'll be implementing these and seeing how I like 'em! I'm sure since I always shower right after a workout, it might not be as unpleasant as I imagine!

It's pretty chilly here in Ohio. It just started snowing, but I bet a cold shower can only help one to acclimate for the winter. I will fearfully try to reach 3 seconds tonight (>_<) .

giphy.gif

Don't mind him. He's been out for a while.

I mean, look, there's no dishonor in not taking part. Cold showers just sound terrible as a concept. And honestly, if it beats you, that's nothing to be ashamed of either. Most of what we've learned to call 'being tough' is really more about 'being strong' or 'being anaerobic.' These are definitely gonna be off the wall as far as a challenge goes, and I don't want anyone to feel badly if they can't endure.

I didn't mind him, thanks anyway, Kish. :P

LLW, Canadians should be BETTER at this than we. :D