Side Quest Week 1: Wake Up Call

OK so this time I only lasted 5 minutes. I had somewhere to be and I didn't have time to warm myself back up.

Lame.

This whole mini-challenge reminds me of when I was in South Korea and went to the public bath houses (they do that there...)

This whole chamber was filled with baths of varying degrees from freezing to almost boiling. All the older crazy-strong-leather-skinned Korean women were walking from the crazy hot bath to the bath with ice floating in it like it weren't no thang. Of course I was trying to experience the culture so I tried all the baths and saunas.....

...until...

I got to the one with ice floating in it. (duhn Duhnn DUHNNNNN)

I dipped my toe in and my body was like NO FRIGGIN WAY. Of course, all the Korean ladies were looking at me and giggling at this point. Oh hellz naw. I may be a lame American, but I have yet to be bested by a granny.  Sooo....since I didn't have it in my to ease myself in bit by bit, I just dove in.

GAHHH!!!

My lungs instantly deflated because...well... because pV=nRT and all the warm air quickly condensed. I felt like I had the wind knocked out of me. Well....I guess I did. Then I willed my shivering self to swim around a bit. One Korean lady gave me a fist pump. It was awesome. Stayed in there a while, too. It's amazing how your body adjusts to extreme measures. Ahhhhh, I love being warm blooded.

With that in mind...I'll go for longer next time :)

Ok, I turned the shower down to very cool this morning for about 10 sec and that was fine.  The shower went back to hot to finish.  I'll try for colder and longer on Saturday but not when I have to walk to work after.  It was -4C (24.8 F) with a wind chill of -10 (14 F), which isn't that cold but it isn't warm either.  I handle cold poorly for a Canadian.

Also, my hot water was out for 2 36 hour periods last week.  It was.... unpleasant.  The cold water supply is currently cold enough that washing my hands in it makes them hurt.

I feel y'all on this. It's nowhere near as cold here in NC, but the nightly temperatures are getting to freezing and below, and my room has no heat. Even bundled up and everything, it's still chilly sleeping. And showering cold beforehand? I'm like, "Hahahaha, dang." Not quite swearing anymore, though.

Wow, you guys make me feel like a sissy! XD

I tried again today in the morning. It went better, but I took the "hot then cold" route. I certainly felt the invigorating aspect of it after I was done. It was very prevalent!

I have to admit that I was cursing Kishi at the start though. Nothing personal oh Leader.  :pride:

• Like 1

Wow, you guys make me feel like a sissy! XD

I tried again today in the morning. It went better, but I took the "hot then cold" route. I certainly felt the invigorating aspect of it after I was done. It was very prevalent!

I have to admit that I was cursing Kishi at the start though. Nothing personal oh Leader.  :pride:

Nothing taken. The swearing means it's working. :D

#showerstories

Yeah, so, this morning I endured round #2 of the Blizzard of Justice from the Water Faucetâ„¢. Counted about 30 seconds. It was definitely more tolerable today since I was awake, and since I wasn't going for the point of "my circulation goes awry". Or maybe I didn't go hard enough.

#itoldyouiwasacoldwaterpansy

#oncemoretomorrowifirememberitintime

Also:

(Cheechoe takes a dive in ice water)

This story is just full of win.

#itoldyouiwasacoldwaterpansy

#oncemoretomorrowifirememberitintime

Also:

Heh, yeah.  The thought processes don't really start up until AFTER the shower, do they?

And agreed.  Cheechoe has the best stories.

#showerstories

Heh, yeah.  The thought processes don't really start up until AFTER the shower, do they?

And agreed.  Cheechoe has the best stories.

She does. She really, really does.

EeWfX.gif

Thanks, guys. :)(I'm just surprised you read all that jibber-jabber)

I feel like such a slacker.  I did my time Tuesday and that was it.  I'm going to try tomorrow as well.  Goal:  The whole shower at chilly temps (though washing soap out may require warm water.  My hair is ungodly thick right now and needs a haircut.  Worse problems in the world to have, yea, but...).  I'm also not working out tomorrow to let myself rest before the Sprint, so hopefully I won't wuss out at the last second...

#showerstories

Round #3 of the Blizzard of Justice from the Water Faucetâ„¢. Yesterday I just stood under the shower for another extra half a minute in the cold, when I was already done with everything, so today I tried this "rinse off shampoo and stuff in cold water" thing. Oh boy. It seemed like a good idea beforehand, but I forgot two essential facts.

• Bodyfat-wise, I'm probably in the low 10%s.[1] So I've got little internal heat retention to help combat the cold.
  • I have long hair (for a guy at least), so it's gonna take me a while to rinse out all the shampoo. Combined with (1), that means I'll be shivering in the cold water for a while, even though I'm less tolerant to it. Oops.

So yes, it was positively miserable. But I'm back to spending about a minute under the cold, I've made it out in one piece, and I'm apparently not dead. That's a good sign.

I'm not gonna do it tomorrow, though, 'cause I can already forsee that I'll be sleep-deprived tomorrow morning. Sunday maybe.

#iamacoldwaterpansy

#butimentionedthatalready

1I've never measured my bodyfat percentage directly. I'm going by the pictures on the article Body Fat Pictures and Percentages, as linked by Steve's guide to bodyfat. That 10% fat dude on the right at the bottom of not-Steve's article is too close for comfort.

Okay, just reporting in.  Spent 4:17 under cold water.  And in that 4 minutes, I managed to do my ENTIRE shower routine.  Because I was freezing and wanted to get out ASAP.  But I wussed out at the last minute and cranked up the heat so I could warm up.

That being said, tomorrow I don't want to do that last minute warm up stunt.  I want to suck up the cold, and prepare myself for the race later in the morning that will be in similar chilly temps.

That's the goal, at least.

Ok, turned it down to cold long enough to rinse off and rinse my (medium-long) hair.  Though it still didn't get as cold as my cold water tank is capable of, and then the hot went back on.  Sorry.  I'm a wuss.

No you're not! You are not at all. Prior to this, you hadn't done anything with cold water, right? You challenged yourself in a way you hadn't done before, and you endured it longer than you ever have before, right? That's the definition of toughness, so don't come down on yourself for that.

No you're not! You are not at all. Prior to this, you hadn't done anything with cold water, right? You challenged yourself in a way you hadn't done before, and you endured it longer than you ever have before, right? That's the definition of toughness, so don't come down on yourself for that.

Oh, it's happened but not voluntarily.  I was joking, mostly :-) Thanks.

I don't have a challege thread yet, but I thought I would participate in the self-inflicted torment anyway.

Also, since all the cool monks are doing it:
#showerstories

I took my entire shower (~15 min) without hot water. It was freezing at first and I couldn't force myself to put my back under the water; but, after a while, I became acclimated and stopped noticing how cold the water was. I will say I was shocked by my 68 degree toasty warm towel though.

Jumping in to the group and the challenge and the whole forum a lil late here but I'm up for the challenge.  Already took my shower after my workout this morning so it's on for tomorrow.  I remember when me and Love moved in together and didn't have money for the heating..... Cold showers.... on purpose now ;}  

So I know it's not the challenge anymore.... but I apparently have been bitten by the cold bug.  After my workout and my (nice and toasty) shower, I cranked the temperature lower.  Holy crap, it was refreshing as hell.  It was awesome.  But I totally blame this thread for putting that thought in my head.