• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

The Mouse

Mouse Rising: Recovery and Resilience

You've got a squad?! Dude, sign me up! I'll design the shirts, haha!

On a non-monk and totally warrior note: I'm volunteering at my campus powerlifting club's competition right now. There are so many similarities between powerlifting and martial arts mentality wise. Seeing these guys and gals get in the zone and move 300+ lbs is amazing.

Well, now I do. =D

Awesome! I'm a Monk but I always get inspired after watching Spezzy doing the amazing thing she does.

Anyways #MonksAreTheNewWarriors

so true! It takes a lot of speed and agility to get under the bar that way and, of course, strength to lift it.

You gotta be focused! Like breaking boards.

Well, now I do. =D

Awesome! I'm a Monk but I always get inspired after watching Spezzy doing the amazing thing she does.

Anyways #MonksAreTheNewWarriors

Sweet!

Ha ha, true enough! Warrior stuff is so much fun!

so true! It takes a lot of speed and agility to get under the bar that way and, of course, strength to lift it.

You gotta be focused! Like breaking boards.

It does - there were some amazing form lifts in there! One dude was really smooth and another actually broke a world record unofficially! 291.5kg deadlift for a guy who weighs 74kg!

Consider using homemade jello as part of your recovery. It help with joints and cartilage.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/ingredientmono-1051-GELATIN.aspx?activeIngredientId=1051&activeIngredientName=GELATIN

Thanks!

I've tried homemade jello before, but I never got it just right. I'll have to try again.

DAY SIX

Diet

- 1379cal

- 93g fat

- 23g carbs

- 103g protein

Workout

Rest Day, physio complete!

Preparation

Groceries bought.

Ugh, everybody seems to be fighting something.

Glad you're feeling better!  Knock Week 3 out of the park!

Yeah, there's a bug going around or something.

Thanks, Phoenix! I'll give it my best! 

"'ere we go, 'ere we go!"

"Where are we going!"

"WE WON'T KNOW 'TIL WE GET THERE!"

:D Rock it out.

Where is that from? It's awesome.

3-1 Update

DIET

- 1083 cal

- 63g fat

- 21g carbs

- 105g protein

I'm actually considering looking into Leangains. I feel I've come far with keto - and I'm hoping to get to 120lbs with it - but once I get there, I want to try Leangains. I feel the timing works well with my natural inclination to skip a meal during the day, and I have a chance to eat things I want (like fruit and nut butters) without worrying about carbs. Plus, I'd like to see if it'll help me break my bench plateau. I'll stick to keto this challenge, and research the heck out of Leangains for the first challenge of the new year.

WORKOUT

Rest Day, physio undone - resting after a day of chiro work on it and a mini-run (no pain on the mini-run!)

PREP

All breakfasts, lunches packed. Attempted making sugar-free maple roasted almonds to great effect! :3

Where is that from? It's awesome.

3-1 Update

DIET

- 1083 cal

- 63g fat

- 21g carbs

- 105g protein

I'm actually considering looking into Leangains. I feel I've come far with keto - and I'm hoping to get to 120lbs with it - but once I get there, I want to try Leangains. I feel the timing works well with my natural inclination to skip a meal during the day, and I have a chance to eat things I want (like fruit and nut butters) without worrying about carbs. Plus, I'd like to see if it'll help me break my bench plateau. I'll stick to keto this challenge, and research the heck out of Leangains for the first challenge of the new year.

WORKOUT

Rest Day, physio undone - resting after a day of chiro work on it and a mini-run (no pain on the mini-run!)

PREP

All breakfasts, lunches packed. Attempted making sugar-free maple roasted almonds to great effect! :3

The quote is from Warhammer 40K, an awesome war game that has a ton of legacy in it.

The day looks like it rocked. Awesome.

Anyway, when you say Leangains, do you mean the Leangains protocol, or do you mean intermittent fasting in general?

The quote is from Warhammer 40K, an awesome war game that has a ton of legacy in it.

The day looks like it rocked. Awesome.

Anyway, when you say Leangains, do you mean the Leangains protocol, or do you mean intermittent fasting in general?

Ah, I see! I used to want to play Warhammer on tabletop, but I couldn't afford it on kid salary (aka allowance), ha ha!

The day felt amazing - though I accidentally skipped a meal 'cause I didn't have enough time to heat up lunch. I'll do better today.

I do mean the Leangains protocol - I've played with IF in general without meaning to with my hectic schedule, but I want to specifically try Martin's actual protocol. 3x weight lifting, -30/0 split (or -30/+10) and trying the carbs back in. I feel I haven't made significant lift progress and I want to see what Leangains will do in that regard. Plus, the more I read regarding carbs and their impact on the body, the more I feel I got a bit paranoid. 

Do you have any experience/readings on Leangains or IF?

I like your methodological approach! It looks as though you are very thorough in trying out one way of eating before switching up. Definitely a good way of taking control of your health!

I like your methodological approach! It looks as though you are very thorough in trying out one way of eating before switching up. Definitely a good way of taking control of your health!

Thanks, capo!

I'm finding that I have a hobby-passion for nutrition, and I'm one of those "learns by doing" folks, so experimenting and (hopefully) remembering to measure helps a lot.

Ah! I've yet to update my stats on my first post. Gotta do that when I get home.

Just did my first try on a stationary bike post-patellofemoral pain syndrome kick in.

Hurts a bit, but that could be due to quad tension soon to be foam rollered out.

Ah, I see! I used to want to play Warhammer on tabletop, but I couldn't afford it on kid salary (aka allowance), ha ha!

The day felt amazing - though I accidentally skipped a meal 'cause I didn't have enough time to heat up lunch. I'll do better today.

I do mean the Leangains protocol - I've played with IF in general without meaning to with my hectic schedule, but I want to specifically try Martin's actual protocol. 3x weight lifting, -30/0 split (or -30/+10) and trying the carbs back in. I feel I haven't made significant lift progress and I want to see what Leangains will do in that regard. Plus, the more I read regarding carbs and their impact on the body, the more I feel I got a bit paranoid. 

Do you have any experience/readings on Leangains or IF?

Mostly with IF. I didn't get to play around with Leangains the way that I thought I would, but for me IF has proven every bit as ineffective as the bodybuilder's five meals a day. :D So, I suppose that just means that one's about as good as the other.

Mostly with IF. I didn't get to play around with Leangains the way that I thought I would, but for me IF has proven every bit as ineffective as the bodybuilder's five meals a day. :D So, I suppose that just means that one's about as good as the other.

Ah, I see. Did you do the whole -20%/+20% calorie split on rest/work days? I'm feeling like that's where the big difference comes in regarding Leangains' protocol, but I'm really just in the beginning of the research, so I've still got a lot of reading to do. What kind of IF routine did you follow?

3.2 Summary

DIET

- 1375cal + mini orange

- 81g fat, 27g carbs, 119g protein

WORKOUT

10min cardio, 11+10+4 (+2x6) pushups, Molding Mobility 

Physio forgotten, once more...

PREP

N/A, feeling like this may turn into more of a "research leangains" kind of thing during the week days when I'm not prepping food.

Ah, I see. Did you do the whole -20%/+20% calorie split on rest/work days? I'm feeling like that's where the big difference comes in regarding Leangains' protocol, but I'm really just in the beginning of the research, so I've still got a lot of reading to do. What kind of IF routine did you follow?

I did some kind of a split like that, although I don't really remember exactly what it was. It was the 16/8 routine, same as everyone else tends to recommend. I'm doing it now, actually, although I do technically break the fast with a little bit of fruit after working out (got to get a little bit of carbohydrate in there; otherwise, you risk some catabolic stuff with your muscles. Not fun). Really, though, Leangains is just a branded attempt at carb-cycling, which definitely gets results more often than not.

I did some kind of a split like that, although I don't really remember exactly what it was. It was the 16/8 routine, same as everyone else tends to recommend. I'm doing it now, actually, although I do technically break the fast with a little bit of fruit after working out (got to get a little bit of carbohydrate in there; otherwise, you risk some catabolic stuff with your muscles. Not fun). Really, though, Leangains is just a branded attempt at carb-cycling, which definitely gets results more often than not.

I see, I see. I'll do more research into carb-cycling, then. I'm sure there are ways to stay keto and make gains, but I'd love to see if carb-cycling and an IF protocol work for me. I'm nearing my goal weight and I'm finding leanness is becoming a goal as well as making serious strength gains.

Plus, I'll admit I'd like the ability to eat carbs - fruits have been hard to steer away from. But I'm happy I no longer crave (and can no longer even eat) gummy candies.

DIET

- 1374cal + 2 mini oranges (keep forgetting to add those, I snack on 'em in bed [bad habit, I know, but it's so warm under all my blankets!])

- 97g fat, 16g carbs, 104g protein

WORKOUT

Rest, Physio completed!, Molding Mobility completed!

I should really try to book myself that appointment with my Physio... Forgot to reschedule after recovering from illness that caused me to miss my one-month appointment.

PREP

N/A, thanks to Kishi, though, I need to read up more on carb-cycling and its effects on muscle gain and fat loss. :3

Have my mind-occupiers to get me through my two painful classes tomorrow! Yay~!

Ooh, sugar free maple roasted almonds? Oh honey, do tell! *so delicious*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Ha ha, it's lovely, though I'm sure it can be hugely improved on as I literally just poured maple syrup over almonds and such em in the oven.

I used a maple syrup sweetened with xylitol and used about a tablespoon for a bit less than 1/2c of almonds and roasted at 350F for about 15 mins. Let cool overnight and they're good to go!

I found the maple flavour wasn't as strong as is have liked. I'm going to experiment a bit more and try maybe adding some almond flour in for more crunch.

Ha ha, it's lovely, though I'm sure it can be hugely improved on as I literally just poured maple syrup over almonds and such em in the oven.

I used a maple syrup sweetened with xylitol and used about a tablespoon for a bit less than 1/2c of almonds and roasted at 350F for about 15 mins. Let cool overnight and they're good to go!

I found the maple flavour wasn't as strong as is have liked. I'm going to experiment a bit more and try maybe adding some almond flour in for more crunch.

It sounds so good and simple! I wonder if they sell maple extract? It would probably have a much more concentrated flavor... I used to put all kinds of extract in chocolate back in my baking days. :P Nuts seems like a good vehicle for them now!

It sounds so good and simple! I wonder if they sell maple extract? It would probably have a much more concentrated flavor... I used to put all kinds of extract in chocolate back in my baking days. :tongue: Nuts seems like a good vehicle for them now!

Oooh, fantastic idea! I'll have to shop around for this. :3