Mouse Rising: Recovery and Resilience

The Mouse

Late update for 3.4

DIET

- 1387cal (yikes, thought I ate more...)

- 97g fat, 38g carbs, 89g protein

I've been feeling somewhat under the weather (cold body, nauseated) lately and have wondered if it's how severe my cut is. I may be totally undercutting what I should be now, so I'll re-weigh myself this Sunday, recalculate my activity levels and adjust my daily caloric cut from there. Better slow and steady than stalled and... heavy?

WORKOUT

Rest, physio complete!

Still forgot to call physio - will call today while manfriend is doing his banking. Also, hopefully Lululemon in the south end mall in my city is open. Want to shop for workout pants - mine are all too big now. >w<

But srs. I can't remember if I wrote this last time, but I bought a small pair of running tights - nice, fancy tights that went 1/2 way down my calves (sp?) and had a pocket perfect for my phone when I ran Z5k - and they were too big... I don't understand. This has never happened before.

Also, my powerlifting club (which I have been sorely absent from due to injury/practice times don't sync with my schedule) ordered in t-shirts. I now fit into a unisex small. Definite woot. I was up to a large at my heaviest! >w<

PREP

N/A, but have been eating hot breakfasts bought at school recently - I feel a bit bad eating cold foods too many days in a row. Strange things.

Also, I have to find more studies on nutrition - particularly studies pertaining to fasted training vs fed training, fasted training in relation to body recomposition and carb-cycling. Any tips on where to find those kinds of studies/how to search for them?

Still forgot to call physio - will call today while manfriend is doing his banking. Also, hopefully Lululemon in the south end mall in my city is open. Want to shop for workout pants - mine are all too big now. >w<

But srs. I can't remember if I wrote this last time, but I bought a small pair of running tights - nice, fancy tights that went 1/2 way down my calves (sp?) and had a pocket perfect for my phone when I ran Z5k - and they were too big... I don't understand. This has never happened before.

Also, my powerlifting club (which I have been sorely absent from due to injury/practice times don't sync with my schedule) ordered in t-shirts. I now fit into a unisex small. Definite woot. I was up to a large at my heaviest! >w<

W00t!  Way to go, Mouse!

The cold is actually a legit sign of things being wrong. I tried to do all my stuff on a severe caloric deficit last week, and I ended up with this awful case of shivering, like, all the time. I couldn't get warm. And I hypothesized that, as my metabolism had to keep me warm, and as it had to use energy in order to do that, and as it was already burning lots of energy just keeping me up and alive through everything I was doing, it just didn't have enough left over to keep me at a comfortable body temperature.

That freaked me out, and I found that when I ate more - even with cold showers and everything - that my body heat rose back up to levels that I prefer.

Maybe that's something that's happening to you too, and I really hope that it's a simple fix like that.

It sounds like awesome progress is happening here. Keep it going!

W00t! Way to go, Mouse!

Thanks, luv!

The cold is actually a legit sign of things being wrong. I tried to do all my stuff on a severe caloric deficit last week, and I ended up with this awful case of shivering, like, all the time. I couldn't get warm. And I hypothesized that, as my metabolism had to keep me warm, and as it had to use energy in order to do that, and as it was already burning lots of energy just keeping me up and alive through everything I was doing, it just didn't have enough left over to keep me at a comfortable body temperature.

That freaked me out, and I found that when I ate more - even with cold showers and everything - that my body heat rose back up to levels that I prefer.

Maybe that's something that's happening to you too, and I really hope that it's a simple fix like that.

It sounds like awesome progress is happening here. Keep it going!

That sounds pretty similar. Though I don't think I'm quite as severe - no shivers yet. I'll definitely recalculate my caloric intake this weekend.

3.5 Log

DIET

- Approximately 1450ish cal (didn't enter everything, but what I did enter brought me to 1350cal)

- 80g fat, 47g carbs (all the boy had for dinner was breaded fish - and the frying pan was a fiasco that made it impossible to distinguished between breading that had fallen off and flakes of fish which had been cooked to golden brown and crispy), 76g protein

Argh. I know not how to eat lots. Maybe I'll make myself some protein drink and almond milk shake. Yeah, I think I'll do that. Add about 200cal to my total, then. A bit of a caloric break, but we'll see how I feel tomorrow - I have a feeling it'll be better than today. This break is intentional to test for benefits.

WORKOUT

Rest Day, Physio Complete!

Also, booked my next physio for next Wednesday and my massage. Wohoo!

PREP

N/A

Hey, shakes are a fantastic way to add raw calories and slip them in without necessarily getting that satiated feeling. It works. Throw in some oil of some kind there if you need extra calories.

They absolutely are! Though I couldn't finish the one I made for myself that day.

3.6 Update

DIET

- Gararghg, I forget. Around 1400cal, though. MFP did something to my log that day.

- aaaand macro levels also lost due to MFP on Android hating the world. Carbs were slightly elevated, I know that much. 

WORKOUT

Karate~! Totally worked the legs, tried some slow and cautious bodyweight squats to some moderate success but clearly not back up to snuff yet. Lost a lot of mobility too - not sure if mental, or real. As the legs were terribly overworked, I skipped physio save for a few running form squat things.

PREP

Read up slightly on carb cycling and a bit more on Leangains. Still looking for studies.

3.7 Update

DIET

- Approx 1400-1500cal

- Macros unknown, but definitely not keto due to dinner being a family affair at the boy's house and I swear to god his family doesn't know what a green vegetable looks like outside of peas. *curses English food*

Had a small bit of this fancy Toll House cookie dough ice cream (and by small I mean a bit less than a tablespoon) - way too sickly sweet. Like, it felt wrong. Had three mini oranges and was much more satisfied. Also, was full - and ice cream doesn't sit well with me anymore as I discovered while I was sick.

WORKOUT

Rest Day, Physio skipped (way too late home due to overly emotional talk with the boy)

PREP

Still reading on carb cycling, also looking into Reverse Pyramid Training method used by Berkham in Leangains. Interested, as it may be a nice method to use to increase strength gains.

Week 3 Recap

Weigh In: 123.4lbs (-2.4lbs since Start)

1 "cheat" meal, not really that bad a cheat, though.

Caloric load may up to 1400cal and then to 1500cal to see if it will help me feel any better.

Also, eating warm breakfasts helps a crap-load.

Week Four Game Plan:

1400cal daily, <25g net carbs, 86g+ protein

2 Workouts (Wednesday, Friday), 1 karate (Tues, Saturday class cancelled)

Lunches prepped from last week.

In addition to the game plan, I've been toying with my goal weight. I'm hoping to weigh in at 120lbs by the end of this challenge, but we'll see how that goes. 

From there, I'm aiming for 115lbs on April 15 2014 (meaning I'd have lost 40lbs since starting this thang) and from there - provided I'm cleared for returning to powerlifting - I'll use a Leangains cut to aim for 110lbs (let's aim for November 2014). At that point, I'll have to use the mirror as my judge and see where my leanness is at. Once I'm at 20% BF or lower, I'll start a recomp or a slow cut and just go until I look sexy in bikini (or monokini - I just found out what those things were called and, dude - that would be so cool to look sexy in one of those things).

Mm. There's a maxim in physical training that goes, "If someone has results you want, go and see how he did them, and do them." And as I understand Leangains, it's optimized around that approach - cycling calories and carbs up and down, and using the weight training. I've had the impression that Leangains is an entire system, not just of diet, but also exercise, and that a certain protocol would optimize the results you get out of it, If it's Reverse Pyramid, it's Reverse Pyramid.

Since you're looking so much for research, have you tried Ripped Body? The guy who runs the site, Andy Morgan, is really big on doing the research and having lots of science to back his claims. He uses the Leangains approach with his clients and pretty much knows all the things. Personally, I think he's way better than Berkhan, because Berkhan can't seem to be bothered to see past the drama of intermittent fasting getting popular without acknowledging him, and doesn't talk to anyone anymore.

Nice job on your continued weight loss.  And I love the monokini!

Thanks!

My boyfriend spotted one while we were out shopping the other day and we both want me to look sexy in one, ha ha! Plus, if I can get to the point to have those side-ab muscles look nice and defined, dude~! Would be so cool~!

Mm. There's a maxim in physical training that goes, "If someone has results you want, go and see how he did them, and do them." And as I understand Leangains, it's optimized around that approach - cycling calories and carbs up and down, and using the weight training. I've had the impression that Leangains is an entire system, not just of diet, but also exercise, and that a certain protocol would optimize the results you get out of it, If it's Reverse Pyramid, it's Reverse Pyramid.

Since you're looking so much for research, have you tried Ripped Body? The guy who runs the site, Andy Morgan, is really big on doing the research and having lots of science to back his claims. He uses the Leangains approach with his clients and pretty much knows all the things. Personally, I think he's way better than Berkhan, because Berkhan can't seem to be bothered to see past the drama of intermittent fasting getting popular without acknowledging him, and doesn't talk to anyone anymore.

I can agree with that statement. And yeah, Leangains is centered around a combination of diet and training. I'll likely have to try to find a way to do OHP and figure out the Reverse Pyramid Training method. If I'm interpreting what you're saying correctly, it would make sense for me to train with RPT regardless of diet, but I do want to try the specific recomp approach Leangains uses. Call it self-experimentation, if you will. I'm curious to see if it works on me. 

I've stumbled on the site once or twice, and yeah, I've noticed Berkham's antics. I'll read Morgan's stuff more closely and see how it is. From what I have read about it, it is much more clear and science-y. Thanks, Kishi!

4.1 Day-late Update

DIET

• 1402cal
  • Unknown macro breakdown, but defs some more carbs than wanted. I had to eat out a bit today and had a piece of delicious cheese toast with my Spinach salad from Sherlock Holmes' Pub. It was worth it, however, and probably won't impact me too much as I literally had quite a small amount of food that day. Like, srs.

I love/hate my Uni schedule. The idea of having several hours free is fantastic if I can get to a gym (and not be injured), but srs. Some days I can't eat from 11-5 and it's terrible. Hopefully next semester's schedule is better, but right now it all depends on my work schedule.

WORKOUT

Rest, Physio Complete

This is my 2x a week week. Gonna work out tomorrow.

PREP

N/A, need to prep my meals. Really do. I'm failing at this goal so far.

Well, that's one of the advantages of IF. It increases your dietary flexibility like whoa. As you adapt to it, your stomach ceases to matter so much, and you eat when you decide you want to.

That sounds really appealing to me, actually. And yay for dietary flexibility~! That makes me happy.

4.2 Log

DIET

• 1421cal
  • 87g fat, 23g carbs, 106g protein

Mini victory: I drank 1 full bottle of water today, and am working on my 2nd. Also, feeling a lot better eating closer to 1400cal, so I'm gonna probably change my caloric load to that.

WORKOUT

Karate, but namely just taught folks - had a bit of cardio work with footwork and sparring technique, so not all lost.

Physio completed.

PREP

Packaged and portioned snacks - cheese curds and chestnuts (yahoo!). 

Cheese curds! Delicious, particularly fried. But most fried things are. XD

I'll have to try frying them! >w<

4.3 Log

DIET

• 1438cal
  • 102g fat, 52g carbs, 109g protein

I indulged and had some corn at dinner and some greek yogurt afterwards. Been feeling a tad deprived recently, so uh oh. But I figure yogurt can cure the urge and it's not that bad for me.

WORKOUT

Unfortunately not enough time for a workout today, however I did go to physio and progressed to the next step of the strengthening exercise I've been doing. Did my physio for the day.

PREP

N/A, unfortunately.

4.4 Day Late log

DIET

- Cheat Day! TAT

Leangains style breakfast in that it was whole grain toast and all and some fantastic tasting omelette which I proceeded to ruin with terrible oven bake pizza that made my tummy hurt.

EXERCICE

Workout 1/2! Physio complete!

Tried out Reverse Pyramid Training and Deadlifting for the first time since my injury. Felt great to do RPT.

Prep

Nothing, unfortunately.

4.5 Log

DIET

- 1287cal

- non-keto due to some terrible lack of prep.

Ate lots of fruit, though. So much goodness. Can't wait for Leangains. Still planning on getting to 115lbs before trying Leangains to say I did a lot on keto.

WORKOUT

DOMS. SO MUCH DOMS. But physio complete!

PREP

None again. TAT

4.6 Day Late Log

DIET

- approx 1400cal, didn't track everything as I had some late night snacks because I felt nauseous. 

I'm not sure why I was feeling sick, but some strawberries and almond milk solved it.

WORKOUT

2/2 for W1 of 2/week. 

Did Bench RPT, push ups and dips along with curls and some ab work while waiting for my parents to finish up. Yay for family workouts~! And my gym admission being paid by dad! 

Also did my physio there.

Day after note: holy DOMS.

PREP

N/A, but I will try to cook some chicken and potentially fish today for lunches during the week. I still need to figure out how to best pack salad so it stays friggin' fresh and not mushy.

Week 4 Recap So Far

Weight: 123.2lbs (-0.2 lbs)

DIET

2 cheats in a row. Bad.

WORKOUT

2/2 complete! Physio also complete!

PREP

Basically nothing. Though I did order my glasses (finally) and plan to order some more low-carb stuff this weekend.

Yay DOMS = changes! :)

I don't know how you keep your daily intake sub 2000 all the time. I'm not so disciplined.

Keep up b the awesome! :)

Yay change! Yay pain!... Right? Right? It's all worth it, right?

Ha ha, I'm having a hell of a time with it right now. At the time of posting I'm at my boyfriend's house at a post-viewing after his grandma's passing, totally surrounded by chips and treats. I'm more tempted by the chips cause there's an assortment of yummy dips and I seem to crave chips during my exam season.

Mm, if I were gonna guess, I'd say you were keeping it low on account of maintaining a ketogenic state. You're eating nothing but protein and fat, which are high satiety foods. As a result, your ghrelin levels are probably not manifesting to the same degree that a carb heavy, SAD-er would show.

Mm, if I were gonna guess, I'd say you were keeping it low on account of maintaining a ketogenic state. You're eating nothing but protein and fat, which are high satiety foods. As a result, your ghrelin levels are probably not manifesting to the same degree that a carb heavy, SAD-er would show.

Ghrelin? Just googled it - never heard of it, neat-o.

I'm finding I'm having a hard time eating at my current deficit now that I'm lifting and cardio-ing again. But we'll see if my low carb flours and snacks help me overcome my cravings. They helped a ton last time, so hopefully the trend continues.

PREP

N/A, but I will try to cook some chicken and potentially fish today for lunches during the week. I still need to figure out how to best pack salad so it stays friggin' fresh and not mushy.

If you figure it out, please share! That would be mad helpful. Also, I think I vanquished a Ghrelin once when I was trekking across the Misty Mountains!

If you figure it out, please share! That would be mad helpful. Also, I think I vanquished a Ghrelin once when I was trekking across the Misty Mountains!

I will! I have no clue where to begin, bit we'll find it somehow!

I have a cup of Brocoli in the fridge, I could ship them over..

This you must. I shall eat more greens.

4.7 Late Log

The day was a bust for all - namely because my boyfriend's grandma passed away the morning before and we had the viewing and everything that day, and being my boy's family and grieving there was basically carbs and carbs. I ate the majority of the broccoli and tomatoes available before it was gone and then had to eat some chips and spinach dip to fill the rest of the space. Yargh.

5.1 Late Log

DIET

- approx 1400cal

- caloricaly correct, carb containing dinner with keto everything else.

Mum's birthday dinner took us to an Indian buffet. Unfortunately they didn't have the palak paneer I was counting on to stay keto, and their salad bar looked half rotten with the two selections, so I ended up breaking keto out of necessity. Thankfully I had only lightly snacked through the day so I had a crap ton of room calorie-wise.

WORKOUT

Rest Day, physio done! Icing skipped though.

PREP

Bought some lovely Halomi cheese, and found a place that sells all-natural honeycomb! Can't wait for leangains - haven't had honey in a honeycomb in SO long!

5.2 Log

DIET

- 1450cal

- slightly out of keto due to a cake pop given to me by my boss that I couldn't stop myself from eating.

- 110g fat, 54g carb, 65g protein

WORKOUT

1/2 for 2nd week of 2x/wk

+ karate lite (teaching and some kata)

Physio not yet done but the night is young.

PREP

None so far, but I'll pop a chicken or two in the oven tonight and sauté some veg tomorrow morning before I head out for my exam. And I will fry some haloumi cheese.