Aerie's Experimenting

Aerie

Hello! 

This challenge the most important thing to me is eating habits, and as there's not really a guild just for that I hope you'll have me here.. 

Over the last few challenges exercise has become fully ingrained in my life again.  I look forward to going to the gym on my lunch breaks, I have more mini-fitness goals than I can count and cycling through them should keep me busy for many months if not years.  I have however thrown my diet to the wind.  It's not that I don't care about it, it just takes a lot of willpower and with a limited supply it's natural to want to do the thing that takes 1% instead of 80%.  Many moons ago I was at a point where it was physically difficult for me to consume more than 600 calories at a time, my favorite meal was grilled chicken and brown rice, and I would choose a small fudgsicle over an ice cream or a chocolate bar or any other temptation without a bat of an eye.  I'd like to get back there! (I also weighed about 18 lbs less - that'd be a nice bonus.)

I'm single parenting a 1 year old right now while my husband is in India, and with holidays coming up I want my goals to be attainable, so they are going to be pretty lax. :)

1) Log all food.  

I'm trying to make the switch to my fitness pal because I like the idea of adding people on it and the trainer I've been working with uses that to help with nutrition advice.  I'm used to Livestrong, and if I log there instead that's fine, but either way it needs to be somewhere.. 

2) Analyze calorie effect on weight.

I've used calculators to get a ballpark of where I should be before, but the range is pretty large and I'd like to narrow down further what my "maintenance" calories are so I can figure out a reasonable goal to shoot for.  I know I can lose weight on 1600 calories/day and I may use that again next challenge depending on how this goes.. along with this I'm going to try using my heart rate monitor for some workouts so I can get an idea of how much to deduct for exercise and to compare different exercise activities.  

3) Spend 10 min a day on forums.

I was really bad about posting updates and keeping up with threads last challenge, but it's important to me so I need to prioritize it as a goal.  

4) Bonus - meditate

Since I am here in the Druids guild, I will also work on meditating 10 minutes a day.  It's something I enjoy and it's helped me heal through times of anxiety before, so nothing new to me but I haven't been doing it regularly lately.  Really looking forward to incorporating this...

Has anyone tried a yoga or meditation retreat before? I've been thinking about doing one for a while and wonder if it's been a positive experience for others.

Aerie - Level 4

Current Challenge

Baby's sleeping... :)  

I've logged all my food from Monday & Tuesday and almost done with todays.  I eat a lot of the same foods over and over so it's getting easier, I can just copy/paste from one day to the next now.  The MyFitnessPal app has been easier to use than their website.  I read a few nutrition articles on bodybuilding.com and was thinking I should try replacing 1 "bad" food at at time.  Had milk instead of soda this morning... hope to one day kick soda for good.

Aerie - Level 4

Current Challenge

Hello! 

This challenge the most important thing to me is eating habits, and as there's not really a guild just for that I hope you'll have me here.. 

Over the last few challenges exercise has become fully ingrained in my life again.  I look forward to going to the gym on my lunch breaks, I have more mini-fitness goals than I can count and cycling through them should keep me busy for many months if not years.  I have however thrown my diet to the wind.  It's not that I don't care about it, it just takes a lot of willpower and with a limited supply it's natural to want to do the thing that takes 1% instead of 80%.  Many moons ago I was at a point where it was physically difficult for me to consume more than 600 calories at a time, my favorite meal was grilled chicken and brown rice, and I would choose a small fudgsicle over an ice cream or a chocolate bar or any other temptation without a bat of an eye.  I'd like to get back there! (I also weighed about 18 lbs less - that'd be a nice bonus.)

I'm single parenting a 1 year old right now while my husband is in India, and with holidays coming up I want my goals to be attainable, so they are going to be pretty lax. :)

1) Log all food.  

I'm trying to make the switch to my fitness pal because I like the idea of adding people on it and the trainer I've been working with uses that to help with nutrition advice.  I'm used to Livestrong, and if I log there instead that's fine, but either way it needs to be somewhere.. 

2) Analyze calorie effect on weight.

I've used calculators to get a ballpark of where I should be before, but the range is pretty large and I'd like to narrow down further what my "maintenance" calories are so I can figure out a reasonable goal to shoot for.  I know I can lose weight on 1600 calories/day and I may use that again next challenge depending on how this goes.. along with this I'm going to try using my heart rate monitor for some workouts so I can get an idea of how much to deduct for exercise and to compare different exercise activities.  

3) Spend 10 min a day on forums.

I was really bad about posting updates and keeping up with threads last challenge, but it's important to me so I need to prioritize it as a goal.  

4) Bonus - meditate

Since I am here in the Druids guild, I will also work on meditating 10 minutes a day.  It's something I enjoy and it's helped me heal through times of anxiety before, so nothing new to me but I haven't been doing it regularly lately.  Really looking forward to incorporating this...

Has anyone tried a yoga or meditation retreat before? I've been thinking about doing one for a while and wonder if it's been a positive experience for others.

Hello and very welcome to the Druids, I hope you will feel at home here.

You certainly have a lot on your plate, I think it's wise to keep it very real:-)

What is your main motivation?

Could you develop 2) - I don't quite understand. Is your aim mainly "just" to track calories?

Good luck  on meditation, it is wonderful and very very difficult….;-)

I will look forward to following your challenge!

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Hello,

Hubby is home and I have been spending every minute with him so not around too much. :)  Have still managed to track all calories and meditate most days though (even if it's just before bed).  

Eve, my motivation is to get my diet motivation back.  That probably doesn't make much sense. :)  I'd like to slim down a bit and exercise alone is not going to accomplish that, but for the last month or two I've found it really difficult to care about my diet.  I know body image alone is not a lasting motivator so I'm trying to think of other things like setting a good example and general health but right now nothing is sticking.  Just in a slump I guess.  I'm hoping by tracking and analyzing my food I'll want to improve.

For goal #2, it's to figure out what a realistic calorie goal is.  I haven't nailed down the exact numbers for week 1 yet but looks like I ate about 2100 calories/day and I gained .3 lbs.  I exercised about 2.5 hours for the week.  .3 lbs is about 1050 calories so theoretically with that level of exercise I should have eaten about 1950 calories/day to maintain my weight.  I'm going to do the same calculation every week and see if I get similar results.  Hoping I'll get a calorie goal that's actually made for my body instead of from a calculator. 

Aerie - Level 4

Current Challenge

Hello,

Hubby is home and I have been spending every minute with him so not around too much. :)  Have still managed to track all calories and meditate most days though (even if it's just before bed).  

Eve, my motivation is to get my diet motivation back.  That probably doesn't make much sense. :)  I'd like to slim down a bit and exercise alone is not going to accomplish that, but for the last month or two I've found it really difficult to care about my diet.  I know body image alone is not a lasting motivator so I'm trying to think of other things like setting a good example and general health but right now nothing is sticking.  Just in a slump I guess.  I'm hoping by tracking and analyzing my food I'll want to improve.

For goal #2, it's to figure out what a realistic calorie goal is.  I haven't nailed down the exact numbers for week 1 yet but looks like I ate about 2100 calories/day and I gained .3 lbs.  I exercised about 2.5 hours for the week.  .3 lbs is about 1050 calories so theoretically with that level of exercise I should have eaten about 1950 calories/day to maintain my weight.  I'm going to do the same calculation every week and see if I get similar results.  Hoping I'll get a calorie goal that's actually made for my body instead of from a calculator. 

Understood:-)

I have chosen to believe in myself.

Forgot to say thanks for the welcome Eve. :)  

I got some new motivation on Friday... signed up for a body fat % test that's done underwater and supposedly very accurate, and my result was 27.4%.  It also had a base metabolic rate of 1485 calories/day and the operator suggested I eat that amount and focus on cardio for the next 5-6 weeks to drop 9 lbs of fat.  I've been mainly focused on strength exercises lately and was all ready to go with cardio, but caught an upper respiratory infection. :(  

Breakfast is my highest calorie meal of the day so I'm trying replacing McDonald's with a homemade smoothie.  I'm working on variations of a blueberry, strawberry, kale, and milk smoothie now and looking forward to trying more ingredients as I get freezer room. 

Aerie - Level 4

Current Challenge

Forgot to say thanks for the welcome Eve. :)

I got some new motivation on Friday... signed up for a body fat % test that's done underwater and supposedly very accurate, and my result was 27.4%. It also had a base metabolic rate of 1485 calories/day and the operator suggested I eat that amount and focus on cardio for the next 5-6 weeks to drop 9 lbs of fat. I've been mainly focused on strength exercises lately and was all ready to go with cardio, but caught an upper respiratory infection. :(

Breakfast is my highest calorie meal of the day so I'm trying replacing McDonald's with a homemade smoothie. I'm working on variations of a blueberry, strawberry, kale, and milk smoothie now and looking forward to trying more ingredients as I get freezer room.

That test sounds pretty awesome. How do you feel about the calorie base? Will that be true for days you are working out? How much cardio will you be doing an how often? What will your bf% be at after the weight loss?

Sorry to throw so many questions at you- this sounds really exciting! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My smoothies are having texture problems.  I'm confused because I'm following the more liquids advice and letting my frozen stuff melt a bit first... guess I just need more experimenting.  I think I'm going to skip logging food tomorrow, but I do intend to do something active, probably a Zombies Run session.  Did weightlifting Monday and TRX yesterday.  

That test sounds pretty awesome. How do you feel about the calorie base? Will that be true for days you are working out? How much cardio will you be doing an how often? What will your bf% be at after the weight loss?
Sorry to throw so many questions at you- this sounds really exciting! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey rogaecia.  Thanks for checking in. :) They are good questions, and it helps me to solidify my plan.  Honestly I feel like the calorie base is low, I will probably aim for 1600 (maybe 1800 on workout days?).  Ideally I'll do cardio 5 days/week for 30-60 min but that won't be reality.. heh.  It's not impossible but I like to limit time away from baby and my lunches are already getting full with weights...I am considering taking him with me for cardio stuff although now is not the best time cuz it's freakin freezing outside and he doesn't like being bundled up.  bf%... going for 22! The next time they are coming in for testing is February.  My short term goal is 25% for that session.    

our goals are similar. good luck my dear!

Thank you and good luck to you also!

Aerie - Level 4

Current Challenge

Smoothies are going good.  I've been working off my go-to base of strawberries & blueberries with milk or apple juice and adding kale for a green experience.  Also bought an avocado to try and mango, peach, banana, and tropical mix.  All are frozen except the avocado and banana.  Cardio will probably be interval running... and the February goal is 25%, I think 22% would be a little too ambitious with holidays.  Hoping I get over sinus/ear infections quickly so I can get back to working out soon.  :grumpy:   Thanks for the motivation!

Aerie - Level 4

Current Challenge

I'm still not 100% over infections but it's getting a lot better.  I went back to doc last Wednesday and switched out some meds.  The most frustrating thing is I never know if I should workout or not.  I don't want to lose any strength I've gained or break the habit but I don't want to risk a relapse.  I haven't been doing so well on goals but I'm getting a bit of fresh motivation now.. 

New smoothies tried last week: 1/2 avocado, 2/3 cup milk, 1 banana, 1 cup mango... this came out really creamy and good but banana kinda overwhelmed the mango so then..

1/2 avocado, 1 cup mango, 2 strawberries, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup apple juice.. and it was amazing.  I need to go buy more mango and avocado so I can make it again.. and again, and again. :D

Last night I put some chicken in the fridge to thaw for tonight... going to bake it and smother it in jerk sauce with veggies on the side.  To minimize dishes I'm going to spend some time today figuring out how to cook everything together in the oven instead of sauteing veggies like I normally do.

Hope everyone is doing well with their goals and have an awesome day!

Aerie - Level 4

Current Challenge

Hey been a while since I updated but things are going well, my motivation is pretty much back which is what I needed.  I've made a mental note to check out youtube or bodybuilding.com transformation stories when I need a boost.  I've been cooking at home more also.. I think 4 dinners last week? That's a record for me sadly. :P

I haven't really been meditating lately, although I have been getting a mental recharge from zoning out while jogging, scented epsom salt baths, and/or reading on an almost nightly basis... I think as long as I'm getting the recharge somehow I'm good.

I met with my trainer today and wanted to share this insane move he had me do.. this is the closest thing I could find, the only difference is my pike was while my feet were to the side, not in the middle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BuDsWkoqC6w&noredirect=1

• Like 1

Aerie - Level 4

Current Challenge

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines