FluffyRin - Growing Up

fluffyrin42

Hrm.  This has been a bad string of challenges.  However, last challenge was rough for a reason.  I basically blew it on my exercising challenges, but after a few rough weeks I found out it was all for good reason.  Apparently growing a human takes a lot out of you.

Main Quest: Grow, baby, grow

So!  Baby Rin due next June (squee!  You guys are the first people I get to tell... we're waiting until 1st trimester is over to tell IRL).  Time to get cranking!

Mission 1: Feed it well

Food challenges tend to be my strong point, but I've noticed that despite knowing better, I've been skipping breakfast a lot.  Between sleeping extra in the mornings, general blahs when I get up, and feeling rushed to work, I'm lucky if I squeeze in much more than a large glass of milk in the first few hours of my day.  So this challenge is about eating breakfast every day.  Even if it's just peanut butter on a bagel.  Something needs to be in my stomach early.  Plus it helps me get through my day.

+2 CON, +2 STA

A: >90%

B: 80-89%

C: 70-79%

D: 60-69%

F: <59%

Mission 2: Keep it Up

Despite exhaustion, I know how important it is to stay active.  So I really, really need to get back on top of my exercising.  Since running is really rough (I still have a 5k on Thanksgiving, but I'm probably going to be walking a big amount given my recent track record), it's time to switch things up.  Goal this challenge is Strength 2x/week and Yoga 2x/week.  Grading will be based on the number of weeks I'm successful.  For the first week or two, a run can be substituted for any of the above workouts in order to not totally blow this 5k.   :)

+3 STR, +2 DEX

A: 6 weeks

B: 5 weeks

C: 4 weeks

D: 3 weeks

F: 2 weeks or less

Mission 3: Plan it out!

I'm a planner.  And I'm also a procrastinator.  So my goal is to start crossing off my baby prep checklist.  Turns out we're already way behind on certain things (holy christmas, I thought day care waitlists were for places like NYC) and it's time to get caught up.  Goal is to cross off at least 6 things by the end of the challenge.  List to be in a supplemental post.

+3 WIS, (I need a sanity stat here... :))

A: 6 Items

B: 5 Items

C: 4 Items

D: 3 Items

F: 2 Items or less

Supplemental Mission:

I get EXHAUSTED by the end of the day.  And the only thing that seems to help is getting up and walking around.  My supplemental goal is to get up and walk for 5 minutes at least 3 times throughout the day.  This needs to be deliberate (for example, walking to my car doesn't count) and even if it's just walking up and down the stairs, it needs to start happening.
+3 STA

A: >90%

B: 80-89%

C: 70-79%

D: 60-69%

F: <59%

FluffyRin  --  Ranger (Level 4)

STR 4 | DEX 3 | STA 4.5 | CON 10 | WIS 10 | CHA 6

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, Current

Because I'm late getting this started, Week 1 / Day 1 Status isn't very eventful.  :)

Mission 1 Breakfast (0/7): Clearly this is a problem.  :)

Mission 2 Exercise (0/4): I'm going to have to get over the whole running in the dark thing.

Mission 3 Planning (0/6): List is almost ready to go.

Supplemental Walking (1/21): This one has been on my radar, but I need to be more cognizant of it.  So I did walk once yesterday but need to get better.

BABY! BABY! BABY! BABY! (I can't get enough of this gif lol)

surpirsed-baby.gif

*ahem*

Now that that is out of the way....

I love your goals! It's super exciting to be growing a little person inside of you.

I will

• Be expecting to hear about progress on at least one baby related thing a week
  • Know what you made for breakfast (I sometimes do up breakfast burritos I can just pop in the microwave during my shower so I still eat something, maybe you can do something similar?)
  • To hear about crazy fun adventures you go on in your 5 minute walking expeditions (you're pregnant now so feel free to start acting crazy and wandering off for the sake of fun)

Big Sister is watching :-P

Race: Dwarf Class: Ranger Level: 3

STR: 9 | DEX: 7 | STA: 9 | CON: 6 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 8

Current-5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG BABY!!!!!! SQUUUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEE

My Blog | My Story

Race: Wood Elf | Class: Footpath Ranger Leader

Level18 (STR):44.25 (DEX):37.25 (STA):30 (CON):31.25 (WIS):31.5 (CHA):25.25

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"Love does not throw the book at you because love doesn't have a book to throw." -CS Lewis

Congratulations Fertile Myrtle!  This is awesome!  You will do great in this challenge, nothing like that to keep you motivated to stay on track.    So how did you tell Mr. Rin the good news? For the first one, I knew my wife had created a stuff bear for the occasion at Build A Bear. When I saw her walking into the restaurant holding that box I knew something was up.  She gave me a card and inside was a picture of the test stick showing a positive result.  I looked up at her and said, “I am really happy it is not the actual test stick in this card.â€

The second kid was more like this:  “Hey, I’m pregnant.† My reply, “Cool.â€

Smurray -- Ranger (Level 4)

STR 8 | DEX 5 | STA 8 | CON 8 | WIS 14 | CHA 9

Challenges:

Current,, First, Second, Third, Fourth

It never hurts to add a little more color to life... a lot more color could be a bit painful.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

YAY!!  Can I just start by saying how excited I am to have somebody to celebrate with... :D  We are sooooo excited.  :)

BABY! BABY! BABY! BABY! (I can't get enough of this gif lol)

surpirsed-baby.gif

*ahem*

Now that that is out of the way....

I love your goals! It's super exciting to be growing a little person inside of you.

I will

• Be expecting to hear about progress on at least one baby related thing a week
  • Know what you made for breakfast (I sometimes do up breakfast burritos I can just pop in the microwave during my shower so I still eat something, maybe you can do something similar?)
  • To hear about crazy fun adventures you go on in your 5 minute walking expeditions (you're pregnant now so feel free to start acting crazy and wandering off for the sake of fun)

Big Sister is watching :-P

Bahahah!  That gif is amazing.  And yes.  Keep me accountable.  I need to stay on it!

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG BABY!!!!!! SQUUUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEE

:D  Thanks!  That was pretty much my reaction too.

Wow!  Exciting news.  I really like your walking around goal.  I try to do that at work - sometimes just walking the long way to talk to a coworker.  Stay strong.

It's something I'm really not very good about.  I tend to get absorbed in whatever I'm doing and forget to get up and move.  I'm also using this as a reminder to get water...  For whatever reason, I've started completely spacing refills since I got the big news.  :)

weee heee - exciting news.  Congratulations!

I love what you've done with your goals, challenging yet achievable. can't wait to hear progress reports.

But yes growing a baby is hard work. If you need a break take it!

ZOMG.  So. unbelievably. tired.  I've been super lucky on everything else, but I just drag for 90% of the day.  But at least it explained why my running paces had dropped precipitously.  :)

Congratulations Fertile Myrtle!  This is awesome!  You will do great in this challenge, nothing like that to keep you motivated to stay on track.    So how did you tell Mr. Rin the good news? For the first one, I knew my wife had created a stuff bear for the occasion at Build A Bear. When I saw her walking into the restaurant holding that box I knew something was up.  She gave me a card and inside was a picture of the test stick showing a positive result.  I looked up at her and said, “I am really happy it is not the actual test stick in this card.â€

The second kid was more like this:  “Hey, I’m pregnant.† My reply, “Cool.â€

Bahahaha!  Mr. Rin insisted on being there when I took the test...  It was one of the "early results" tests and I was already pretty late, so I *cough* did my thing and he went to set the timer.  He yelled "How long do I need to set it for?" and it was already showing the extra line.  So I yelled back, "umm... nothing!" and he came running around the corner.  I got accused of cheating by peaking, but it was pretty clear before I really even set the test down.  And then we both freaked out.  Ha!

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Thank you!

Congratulations!!!!! :D

:D  Thanks!!

Week 1 / Day 2 Status:

So I made some progress, but it doesn't look very good because I was still coming up with my goals in the middle of the day.  Some of the results were driving factors in choosing the goals that I did.  :-/

Mission 1 Breakfast (0/7): I had some OJ first thing when I woke up and promptly threw it back up.  Decided to take a break before eating.  Wound up just having my milk and a mid-morning snack.

Mission 2 Exercise (1/4): I ran in the dark.  2.13 miles, no idea the time.  With the need to focus on not overdoing it (something I'm really bad about doing when running), I do much better when I don't have a watch to drive me.

Mission 3 Planning (0/6): List in the next post.  I'll probably continue updating it as time goes on.  :)

Supplemental Walking (3/21): I took two walks yesterday.  One the long way to a meeting and another a long route to refill my water.  Also, stairs kick my butt.  :)

Ok.  The Baby Planning Master List:

1. Choose and register for a day care  (We've visited and narrowed it down.  We just need to make the final decision and get on a wait list.)
  2. Put together a pregnancy announcement!
  3. Get a pretty solid registry list put together
  4. Research and compile a list of pediatricians in the area
  5. Pick a paint color and get started on the nursery
  6. Register for baby classes
    • Infant CPR/First Aid
    • Birthing Class
    • Prenatal Exercise (? - I don't know many other mom's in my area, so I feel like I need to start expanding my circle a bit)
  7. Research and start training our pups for baby (One is a spaz that currently hates toddlers.  Need to get that behavior in check ASAP.)
  8. Transition to better cleaning supplies (I've been slowly working on going to green cleaning, but we still have a few nasties that need to be gotten rid of.)
  9. Research lactation consultants and put together a short list

Any other suggestions from the parents out there?

First of all, well done on getting out for a run - I'm truly impressed.  and on that extra walking.

with regards to keeping breakfast down I just found I had to do small amounts of pretty bland stuff but everyone's different.  One thing that definitely helped though is ginger ale...not the canda dry stuff but the good stuff with read ginger in it, definitely stopped the nausea for me.

As far as other suggestions for your list:

Don't know if you're planning on, or even interested in breast feeding but if you are I definitely recommend spending a short amount of time researching lactation consultants in your area just in case you need one you don't have to do it later when you're stressed out from a non feeding bubs. The best thing my sister did for me (we're both big pro breastfeeding types) was organize my friends/relatives to pitch in and get me a lactation consultant for my baby shower.  I got a lesson from her before baby was born on the theory of it all, then two visits afterwards to make sure all was going OK.   Just something else to think about.

Also I don't know what type of birth you're hoping for but if you do want to go natural start doing some reading into it, there's a lot of information out there and it can take a while to get through even a part of it.

No matter what type of birth your planning I highly recommend watching the Business of Being Born by Ricki Lake.  A very good doco movie on the whole birth process

When looking for other mom's in your area check out Meetup.com I know in my area there were tonnes of groups on there for every type of mum around.

OK that's enough for now - I don't want to overwhelm you - in case you can't tell this is a topic I love.

Level 6, Ranger

Challenge I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, IX, X Current Challenge

My Sewing Blog

Thanks for the advise!  Right now we're planning on breast feeding, so I'll add it to the list.  As far as type of birth, I am still relatively undecided.  I selected my OB/Hospital based on the fact that they are pretty open to allowing a natural birth to keep my options open, but other than that, no real decisions made.  Do you have any book recommendations?  I've already cranked through the frequently suggested ones (Mayo Clinic Prengancy, What to Expect, and The Girlfriend's Guide), but I'm all for getting more suggestions!

Week 1 / Day 3 Status

Mission 1 Breakfast (1/7): I got through some cornflakes without incident.  Gonna try to keep up with those for now.

Mission 2 Exercise (1/4): I had an appointment that made for an extra long day at work.  Took yesterday off.

Mission 3 Planning (0/6): List is up and open for suggestions.  I think we've picked our daycare - now we just need to get the registration stuff in.

Supplemental Walking (5/21): I took two walks again.  I was still scrambing a bit to get in my water quota, but made it.

This isn't an actual baby book but might be something you want to put in your pregnancy pack up (all the things you'll need for the hospital)

http://www.amazon.com/Sh-tty-Mom-Parenting-Guide/dp/1419704591.

I did a pack up kit for the girl in my class for her baby shower and she absolutely loved it. Good work so far pretty lady ^_^

Race: Dwarf Class: Ranger Level: 3

STR: 9 | DEX: 7 | STA: 9 | CON: 6 | WIS: 9 | CHA: 8

Current-5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

When you can't run, you crawl, and when you can't crawl - when you can't do that... You find someone to carry you

Challenges:

It never hurts to add a little more color to life... a lot more color could be a bit painful.

Yay!  Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys!  Ina May and the Baby Owner's Manual were on my list, but I'll add the others to the library cue.

Week 1 / Day 4 Status:

Mission 1 Breakfast (2/7): Cornflakes are a winner.  As long as they don't get remotely soggy.  :)

Mission 2 Exercise (1/4): Totally and completely spaced doing my yoga when I got home.  Was distracted dealing with day care stuff.

Mission 3 Planning (1/6): Day care reserved!  YAY!

Supplemental Walking (6/21): Totally slacked on walking.  I need to set myself some reminders on my work calendar.

Yummmm..... Corn Flakes...must not stop by the store for a snack.   Good job on the daycare.  I know I have heard some crazy stories in trying to get daycare reserved.  Keep up the good work, time to get ready for week 2.

Challenges:

Actually looking pretty good for week 1 of the challenge.  I just finished Blue Jay's Dance and she can't keep anything down for a while but saltine's and Carr's

It wound up not too shabby.  I've definitely been on the super lucky end as far as morning sickness goes.  Every now and then a texture will push me to the brink, but aside from the orange juice mess and one bad bout with chicken I've been puke free.  <knocking on every piece of wood in reach>  Which is a good thing.  Because I don't do well with puking.

Yummmm..... Corn Flakes...must not stop by the store for a snack.   Good job on the daycare.  I know I have heard some crazy stories in trying to get daycare reserved.  Keep up the good work, time to get ready for week 2.

Cereal seems to save the day.  I tried oatmeal for a while and it just didn't sit quite as well - and it takes longer to make, so I'm less inclined to throw it together first thing when I get up.  Plus I get a small boost in folic acid.  Worth the unhealthy aspects of cold cereal in my book - at least it's not fruit loops.

Week 1 Summary:

I finished the weekend ok.  I was missed a workout and was a bit lazy on Sunday, but better!

Mission 1 Breakfast (5/7): I've settled into cold cereal for breakfast.  I know it's not eggs and bacon, but at least I'm getting something.

Mission 2 Exercise (3/4): I ran on Friday and did yoga Saturday.  Needed a rest day on Sunday, but I did rake leaves in the front.  Huge yard + Huge maple tree = sore abs for Rin.  I'll take it.

Mission 3 Planning (1/6): Got one item done!

Supplemental Walking (9/15): I'm not sure how to grade this one on the weekends.  We tend to be up and about more than I am at my desk at work, so it's a lot less likely that I just sit for hours on end.  I think I might scale this back to walking during work and make it out of 15 instead.

Week 2 / Day 1 Status:

Yesterday was OK.

Mission 1 Breakfast (1/7): This one I almost missed. I wasn't feeling very well, but I did eat a banana with peanut butter right when I got to work.  So I'm counting it.

Mission 2 Exercise (0/4): We were supposed to pick up the finish items for the basement after work, but just wasn't feeling it.  Wound up crashing on the couch and falling asleep to old episodes of X-files.

Mission 3 Planning (1/6): Next up on the list is signing up for birthing classes.  We got the list from the hospital that we'll be delivering at and they have a class that lines up with our time in town in February.  I'll be registering us tonight.

Supplemental Walking (2/21): I took two walks yesterday.  Symptom of the week has been dizzy spells, so walking is rather unpleasant.  :-/

Looking good! I think you should give yourself points double points for everything now - you're nerd fitnessing for two! Hang in there through the fatigue, morning sickness and dizziness. It will get better.

All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity:

but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

~T. E. Lawrence

When we contemplate the whole globe as one great dewdrop, striped and dotted with continents and islands,

flying through space with other stars all singing and shining together as one, the whole universe appears as an infinite storm of beauty. 
~John Muir

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines