• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

BlamedCat

BlamedCat trains on Mt. Kolts

On the creative front...

Remember how yesterday I said I loved doing websites and such?...

Time for a little backstory on this... so, I listen to this podcast for a Board game company, they're really some fun guys to listen too about their experiences and just board games in general.  So for about three episodes they were doing this fake "sponsor" (a fake pharmaceutical company for a drug like Prozac)  spot on their podcast to promote/hint at their next big game release.  It's a game called Dead of Winter.  Basically, the game is a psychological team game where you take charge of a group of survivors in a weakened colony and try to survive the winter in a post-apocalyptic world.  They hinted that this fake pharmaceutical company's drug kinda started a zombie outbreak or something.

Anyway, they're still in production on it, but I had this thought, that they should totally take that sponsor and do a fake website for the fake drug.  Kinda like how Batman Arkahm Asylum had this easter egg where if you listened to the PA announcements in the game, you'd eventually hear an ad to visit the asylum's website.  If you went to that address, you'd come across a fake website for the asylum :)

So I suggested this to them, that I'd like to do the fake website for the drug company for fun and they loved the idea so much they've given me the go ahead to do it (since they LOVE community generated stuff).  I'm gonna have so much fun with this (they even went an extra step and gave me the graphics they already had for the fake company's logo.)

Needless to say, I'm pumped :)

• Like 1

That is fantastic! And a great portfolio builder - look at you, putting yourself out there in the world and creating the type of work you want :) Way to go! 

Sidebar: That game sounds awesome. 

That is fantastic! And a great portfolio builder - look at you, putting yourself out there in the world and creating the type of work you want :) Way to go! 

Sidebar: That game sounds awesome. 

That's what I was thinking.  Granted I don't have the extra funds to dump into hosting the website right now, but i can still craft one on wix.com which is my plan.  I told them I wasn't going to do a custom domain since it was their IP and all, so I'm keeping it to the free options.  Thanks!

Sidebar: Yes it does :)  I'm going to pre-order it when that option is up...

All their games look awesome. Both that and City of Remnants in particular, although that could be because my NaNoWriMo has some post-apocalyptic themes going in it. :)

So exciting that they let you in on the project! Very cool.

On the creative front...

Remember how yesterday I said I loved doing websites and such?...

Time for a little backstory on this... so, I listen to this podcast for a Board game company, they're really some fun guys to listen too about their experiences and just board games in general.  So for about three episodes they were doing this fake "sponsor" (a fake pharmaceutical company for a drug like Prozac)  spot on their podcast to promote/hint at their next big game release.  It's a game called Dead of Winter.  Basically, the game is a psychological team game where you take charge of a group of survivors in a weakened colony and try to survive the winter in a post-apocalyptic world.  They hinted that this fake pharmaceutical company's drug kinda started a zombie outbreak or something.

Anyway, they're still in production on it, but I had this thought, that they should totally take that sponsor and do a fake website for the fake drug.  Kinda like how Batman Arkahm Asylum had this easter egg where if you listened to the PA announcements in the game, you'd eventually hear an ad to visit the asylum's website.  If you went to that address, you'd come across a fake website for the asylum :)

So I suggested this to them, that I'd like to do the fake website for the drug company for fun and they loved the idea so much they've given me the go ahead to do it (since they LOVE community generated stuff).  I'm gonna have so much fun with this (they even went an extra step and gave me the graphics they already had for the fake company's logo.)

Needless to say, I'm pumped :)

Sounds like fun :)

• Like 1

All their games look awesome. Both that and City of Remnants in particular, although that could be because my NaNoWriMo has some post-apocalyptic themes going in it. :)

So exciting that they let you in on the project! Very cool.

Indeed!  I wanna get a hold of City of Remnants, but it is hard to find in stores.  Guess I could always order it on their website.  I do have their Bioshock & Summoner Wars games, they are both pretty fun :)

I'll let you know how it goes .

Week 1 Day 4 RECAP

Mission 1 & Life Goal: Master's Daily Chores:

Shoulder:  morning and evening rehab & icing due to aches

Bible: Read Chapter 8 & 9 of 2 Chronicles (good stuff)

Sleep: Slept 6 hours (got distracted with website creation fun)

Mission 2: Master's Movement 'Suggestions':

Exercise Grab Bag: Lunch walk - 2.1 mi. 38.58 min.  Took longer, but was still nice.  I didn't get around to doing the squats because I got side-tracked with the creative website project last night.  I know, not a valid excuse, but it happened.  :(

Mission 3: Cooking for the Master:
Cooking: Think I'm going to have to avoid brussles sprouts for now.  I'll need to do something else roasted veggie oriented.  I know I can roast broccoli and cauliflower... maybe there's a roasted veggie dish out there I can whip together that would be awesome to go with the chicken. hmm...

=======================================================
Week 1 Day 5 Current

Shoulder:  Rehabbed before leaving for work

Bible: 2 Chronicles 10-11 - This was the retelling of the split of Israel into the northern and southern kingdoms.  What I took away from this, aside from the fact that God's plans are always working behind the scenes, is that pride is a VERY dangerous thing.  Being proud of your accomplishments is one thing, but having the pride I'm talking about here results in you elevating yourself and your desires over others, and/or downplaying the validity of other people or their struggles.  We should never lose sight of where we started (spiritually, physically, or mentally), so that we can relate to other people no matter their path in life. 

Sleep: I'm not sure how late I'm going to stay up tonight, nothing planned. 

Exercise Grab Bag: I got stuck behind a traffic accident heading to work today, so as a result instead of arriving 15 min early, I arrived 45 min late.  I'll have to cut it out of my lunch :(  This means I won't get in a walk at lunch, but I'll make it a point to do the squats today for sure.

Cooking: I'm hungry...
  • Like 2

Love your goals and approach to this challenge.  You took how you were feeling and spun it into a postitive move forward. Nice job.

I've been catching up on threads today - all the food talk in yours is making me drool.  So we're having steak and sweet potatoes tonight!  Yum.

Love your goals and approach to this challenge. You took how you were feeling and spun it into a postitive move forward. Nice job.

I've been catching up on threads today - all the food talk in yours is making me drool. So we're having steak and sweet potatoes tonight! Yum.

Thanks, EC!!! I had some help on the mental front and I'm REALLY glad I stepped up to this challenge :)

Aww, well glad you are as hungry as I was lol. I posted some pics from my phone. I hope they go through :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beautiful! Are those chicken medallions?

Thanks! :D  Unfortunately, nope, though now you've given me something to research for another weekend :D

That's actually:

1. Oven roasted boneless skinless chicken thighs w/ dry rub/seasonings.  I brushed them with a basil infused olive oil, then dusted them both with a red steak seasoning I had (it was heavy on garlic and onion and a dash of cayenne) and a dry rub I also use for steak (that went well with this because of it's sweet notes and pecan flavor).

2. Roasted garlic & Mashed sweet potatoes (boiled in chicken broth and left skins on).  Only used half a cup of the broth when mashing.  Added smoked sea salt and pepper, that worked PERFECTLY.  They were the right consistency and weren't very sweet, everyone loved them (even my wife who's a HUGE idaho mashed potato person).

3. Oven roasted veggies (green beans, carrot chips, broccoli, and cauliflower), brushed with olive oil, seasoned with pepper and smoked sea salt mixed with garlic butter.

Verdict: A+ from the whole family.  The only thing I think I'd change would be to cook the veggies a little longer to really let them crisp up.  Otherwise, everything else came out perfect :)

Cooking: Think I'm going to have to avoid brussles sprouts for now.  I'll need to do something else roasted veggie oriented.  I know I can roast broccoli and cauliflower... maybe there's a roasted veggie dish out there I can whip together that would be awesome to go with the chicken. hmm...

I am going to share my Brussels sprouts recipe.  Cut off the stem.  Quarter each sprout from the top down.  Put in a ziplock bag and pour in olive oil.  (1 or more tbs)  Cut up some raw bacon, 1 piece.  Throw into bag and shake.  Spread on cooking sheet, sprinkle with your favorite spices, (mine is California blend for veggies) and cook on 400 until crispy.  (Brown)  It is delicious and it is not as strong as other ways I cook it.  I do the same thing with shopped up cabbage.

• Like 1

Since I trust nearly everyone in this threads taste buds I'm going to go ahead and ask: what's the best way/recipe to cook asparagus? I made some the other night and it turned out so good but I want to find more ways to cook it.

uuggghh... so, a quick recap of how my Monday is going.

1. Got about 4 hours of sleep (combo of company over and wife switching to nights again)

2. Woke up later than desired and rushed out, missing morning rehab and breakfast.

3. Only one on support queue from 7-1:30pm... normally we have two guys on the phones, since one guy is out for a couple of days, that's not the case.

4. Haven't had time to take a break and read my Bible :(

5. Get to go home and take my sister n law to work and then back home to watch the kiddos for the night as my wife heads to work.  Maybe I'll get some time after the kids are in bed... 

Since I trust nearly everyone in this threads taste buds I'm going to go ahead and ask: what's the best way/recipe to cook asparagus? I made some the other night and it turned out so good but I want to find more ways to cook it.

Hmm,

1.oven roasted with salt/pepper, olive oil

2. pan sauteed with butter and garlic

3. bacon wrapped and grilled

anyone else?

• Like 1

@BigDRay: My faves:

Broiled with a little olive oil, salt & pepper (consequently, this is also my favorite way to do green beans - but for those, I sprinkle a little parmesan)

Shaved raw (with a vegetable peeler or mandoline if they're big - or dice if you can't manage) with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar & dusting of parmesan

Cut into bite-sized pieces and sauteed with oil, garlic, salt & pepper

And pretty much any way I can get them. I usually let them stand as close to 'as is' as possible. 

@BC: That sounds like a sucky day so far, but it's far from over - you *can* make yourself a priority. Do some cardio with the kiddos. Read for 5 minutes before bed. Do your rehab exercises while making dinner. Do some more right before bed. You can do this. 

• Like 1

Awful start to the day - but it's not over.  You can get in your rehab and a little cardio.  Granted, it will take a shoehorn and be a tight fit, but I know you can do it.

Hmm,

1.oven roasted with salt/pepper, olive oil

2. pan sauteed with butter and garlic

3. bacon wrapped and grilled

anyone else?

Bacon wrapped... Oh my. That sounds delicious. I did the oven roasted last night and it was delicious. Me and my brother couldn't stop ourselves from devouring them.

Broiled with a little olive oil, salt & pepper (consequently, this is also my favorite way to do green beans - but for those, I sprinkle a little parmesan)

Shaved raw (with a vegetable peeler or mandoline if they're big - or dice if you can't manage) with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar & dusting of parmesan

And pretty much any way I can get them. I usually let them stand as close to 'as is' as possible. 

@BC: That sounds like a sucky day so far, but it's far from over - you *can* make yourself a priority. Do some cardio with the kiddos. Read for 5 minutes before bed. Do your rehab exercises while making dinner. Do some more right before bed. You can do this.

For some reason I never thought about cutting them up. I must experiment now! Lol

Thanks to both you guys for the help :) If you have any other recipes that are delicious I'm all ears!

Awful start to the day - but it's not over.  You can get in your rehab and a little cardio.  Granted, it will take a shoehorn and be a tight fit, but I know you can do it.

Thanks, gals! Yeah, things did get better :)  I'll recap what I did and did not do yesterday.

Bacon wrapped... Oh my. That sounds delicious. I did the oven roasted last night and it was delicious. Me and my brother couldn't stop ourselves from devouring them.

For some reason I never thought about cutting them up. I must experiment now! Lol

Thanks to both you guys for the help :) If you have any other recipes that are delicious I'm all ears!

Glad we could help out :)  They really are addicting, just wish I could get them for an affordable price.

Umm... more recipes... that roasted garlic smashed sweet potato recipe was awesome that DF suggested, so I'd highly suggest that!

Week 1 Day 5/6/7 RECAP

Shoulder: 2for2/1 + moving stuff for a friend of my mom/ 2of2 

Bible: 2 Chronicles 12-13 over the weekend

Sleep:  6+/6/4

Exercise Grab Bag: Traffic stole walk, did squats at home/ moved mom's friend (not a lot there)/ nothing was busy all day

Cooking: Did the meal and everyone loved it, having leftovers today :D

=======================================================
So yesterday started out pretty bad, but ended up pretty good even with a headache, etc.  Turns out my wife WAS off yesterday evening, so I got to spend some much needed time with her and the kiddos (since both SIL's were either at work or staying out).  I got in a rehab, recouped, played a game of Takenoko with my wife and daughter after the youngest went to bed. :) 
Week 2 Day 1 Recap

Shoulder:  Rehabbed once last night

Bible:  No reading, should have, but time got away from me and family was more important when I did have the chance.

Sleep: Got 6-7 last night :) (RESTFUL sleep)

Exercise Grab Bag: Got a small 1.6mi walk in at my super late lunch :D  I didn't even think to do anything once I got home and was battling a headache.

Cooking: Haven't thought about what I'm going to do this weekend yet.